Divination - one of the new skills reported by IGN

Kimberly

http://www.ign.com/a...15008285d000010

The second area of change is gameplay. While combat and the like has been tightened, Jagex has mainly focused on a popular quality of life request from players; customisable UI. All menus are fully flexible now, meaning they can be tabbed or reshaped, and eventually players will be able to share their setups with each other. Two new skills will also be added to the game; while one hasn't been revealed, the other, divination, will apparently play a key role in the latter stages of RuneScape 3's story.

And so the stage is set for players to have a greater impact on the game's future. Jagex is keen for the community to drive changes in RuneScape 3; whereas older updates focused on disparate storylines, the onus from here on out will very much be on giving players the tools to "carve their names into the foundation stones of the game," according to design director Mark Ogilvie. It'll be up to players to decide which gods win and lose the battle for familiar areas through things like world events, the first of which will occur when the game launches, with others following roughly every three months after.

So with this information, do you think the theory of God Emissaries being the preclude to the new skill (or even the new skill itself) are more or less likely?

*Credit goes to jshimmy from reddit with the find.

hzvjpwS.gif

I was thinking of making a post for this, but I knew there would probably be an official response from you guys soon enough. :P

To quote my Reddit comment about it:

Very, very interesting!

The Harry Potter version of Divination is basically fortune-telling and future sight, but the baser meaning of the term means "to be inspired by a god". Dowsing (using objects like "magic rods" and other important trinkets to find the location of things you want) is considered as a form of divination, which may be the direction they are going. (Would make sense as a gathering skill)

Binary_Mage.pngxJgdnyi.png

The Fallen Diviner

Not really sure what to think of this..

On the one hand, yay more lore!

On the other, seems like a spin off from Prayer with an effect on the real world.

Excited nonetheless!

xcsx7c.png | 3gliP.jpg | 51y5tv.png  |  8mO5K.jpg

A Blog to Bathtubs for Beginners
Quest Cape | 99 Defence Achieved 11-Jul-2011 17:41 | 99 Prayer 11-Jul-2012 | 99 Constitution 02-Aug-2012

99 Attack 31/10/2012 | 99 Dungeoneering 31/10/2012 | 99 Strength 31/10/2012 | 99 Magic 2/12/2012

99 Range 16/12/2012 | 99 Herblore 25/12/2012 | 99 Summoning 4/1/2013 | 99 Firemaking 6/3/2013

99 Farming 10/4/2013 | 99 Slayer 11/7/2013 | 99 Fletching 21/8/2013  |  99 Smithing 22/8/2013 

99 Crafting 19/12/2013  |  99 Cooking 15/1/2014  |  99 Agility 25/1/2014  |  99 Thieving 01/02/2014

99 Construction 21/04/2014  |  99 Woodcutting 04/03/2014  |  99 Fishing 17/04/2014  |  99 Mining 23/07/2015

99 Divination 27/07/2015  |  99 Runecrafting 20/08/2015  |  99 Hunter 20/08/2015  | Maxed 20/08/2015

True test will be what the weekly bts vid says when it finally appears (though it does seem a bit late now) given the 3rd may dating it's plausible the absent vid is the big reveal and ign have jumped the gun.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

"While combat and the like has been tightened,"

Wait what, what does this mean? Clearly not so much a review as it is an advertisement >.>. Of course, that's usually the case for game reviews.

Anyway, Divination sounds fair enough, but it'd better be some overarching term for magical sciences (including all kinds of knowledge/lore), not just tarot :P.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

To add more credibility to the Divining skill: Guthix mentions Naragi Diviners in his memories.

She came up with dozens of plans: she would be a diviner; a light-sculptor; a butterfly catcher.

The nomad told us about a magical disturbance near Askroth. The diviners were ecstatic; saying that it had opened up whole new lines of research. The most popular theory was that it was a portal' date=' and that it was yet to fully open. A portal to another world! [b']The diviners[/b] were arranging a welcoming committee...

Reinforces the idea that Diviners are running around using Divining Rods to find pockets of magical power, burial sites, etc.

The diviners had angered him' date=' they said, and in that anger he had razed the city.[/quote']

Seems like they were trying to hint to us the whole time, and we were just too focused on the actual lore content to realize it. :P

I think "Light-Sculpting" is a Naragi term for what the second skill will be. Something to do with making equipment/materials/items out of divine energy and relics found using Divining.

• Like 3

The Fallen Diviner

I could imagine divination working as a sort of magic gathering skill. Like harvest enchantments off of ancient things, harvest power from knowledge/secrets either at locations or from peoples heads, collect errant magical energies.

Would offer a way to slip in lots of lore snippets and could offer us energy based resources (kinda like chi globes) that could then be either turned into plans that unlock stuff in other skills or directly formed into items of some sort.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Bit disappointed they wouldn't release any info, even the name, for months and the only way we even know about this is from IGN. Not a RS fan site, not forums, but IGN. If this even is real, what the hell was Jagex thinking slapping the players in the face like this?

The two new skills are supposed to be linked, with one of them being a gathering type skill and the other a production type skill, with the first new skill being the gathering one.

I could imagine divination involving gathering/storing some form of divine energy, which we could later use in the production skill to use in enchanting/enhancing our gear? Sounds intriguing either way.

Asmodean <3

Further update: According to a tweet by the author of the IGN article, Mod Mark mentioned Divination as one of the new skills at a press event yesterday.

(Once again, thanks to jshimmy from /r/runescape for digging up the tweet :) )

I dunno if that gives me more confidence or not seeing as he said it's going to be 'freemium' same as it is now but you can 'buy minor enhancements' but all the content costs nothing.

Simply because this does not describe the RS model at all, nothing about members buys 'minor' enhancements - it outright buys like 90% of the games content. Equally all the content does not 'cost nothing' - as I just said like 90% of it is members.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I dunno if that gives me more confidence or not seeing as he said it's going to be 'freemium' same as it is now but you can 'buy minor enhancements' but all the content costs nothing.

Simply because this does not describe the RS model at all, nothing about members buys 'minor' enhancements - it outright buys like 90% of the games content. Equally all the content does not 'cost nothing' - as I just said like 90% of it is members.

"Freemium" is the name for the current business model, and that is exactly how to describe the current influence of Members on most F2P skills. You get access to a good deal of a skill, but can pay for Members to get a bit more content on top of that. It sounds a bit weird when filtered through a journalist who probably knows next to nothing about the game besides buzzwords being thrown at him by Jagex press briefings.

I think it is more indicative of how much of the content will be F2P than the idea that they are going to be putting another paywall in front of Divination content. :-k

• Like 1

The Fallen Diviner

Ture i spose the dumb research free journalist factor plays in to it, but still the way he phrased it really sounds nothing at all like the rs model.

Anyway:

The trailer is official atleast.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Ture i spose the dumb research free journalist factor plays in to it, but still the way he phrased it really sounds nothing at all like the rs model.

Anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKZAA_9mQGg

The trailer is official atleast.

"Millions of players online".

Oh Jagex, you fantastic [bleep]ing troll, 10 out of 10.

• Like 8

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

Disparaging how many things in the video were microtransaction content with little actual impact in the game, placed there to make it seem a bit more exciting... Come on. It would have been more genuine and probably had the same effect if they'd showed off some flashy abilities instead.

My friend just made the comment that it's like advertising Solomon's General Store with HTML5...

• Like 5

2dgucz6.png