Divination - one of the new skills reported by IGN

Kimberly

Wasn't it announced that there will be a system in the future for adding "enchantments" to items? Was it at Runefest or a post by mod Mark about updates for 2013 and beyond or am I remembering wrong?

4e0Vn.png

Wasn't it announced that there will be a system in the future for adding "enchantments" to items? Was it at Runefest or a post by mod Mark about updates for 2013 and beyond or am I remembering wrong?

They are planning on having certain types of weapons and armor that will be able to gain experience and level up on their own. This was included in part of the Special Edition BTS for 2013, but was listed as something that is only an idea for the future and isn't in development yet.

Binary_Mage.pngxJgdnyi.png

The Fallen Diviner

Ture i spose the dumb research free journalist factor plays in to it, but still the way he phrased it really sounds nothing at all like the rs model.

Anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKZAA_9mQGg

The trailer is official atleast.

Why do they always give that "Thousands of hours of gameplay" metric? I fail to see how that would make someone go "oh damn, I need to play this now!" (and the fact that it's an MMORPG would limitless play makes it weirder - I remember when they first started using this phrase that people thought we would be kicked out of the game after a few thousand hours, haha.)

Zanty.jpegsigquotes.png

I think those 1000s of hours is meant as: There is soo much gameplay timewise, we are sure you won't get bored of our game!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

I think those 1000s of hours is meant as: There is soo much gameplay timewise, we are sure you won't get bored of our game!

Yeah its a very common trope of modern game advertising to up sell how many hours of gameplay there is to make it clear there is lots to do and you won't get bored. It sort of follows on from the early 00's where there was a spate of games that people went out and paid their £40 or w/e for only to find you could literally complete everything in a matter of an hour or 2 which lead to the modern spate of games where the main story may only take 2-5 hours but all the side content ladles on many more hours of gameplay.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I hope it's P2P because it doesn't sound really interesting. |^_^|

I'm sure they said both skills are ftp & ptp.

Quest Cape Achieved 10/08/2012

TFU: Ruinous Edge

TFUsig2_zpsc5e7f1a4.png

A piece of glass in the sand under your feet, it cuts you deep and it makes you hate the beauty that you see.

Even if it's F2P, no one says you have to train it.

If divination is god related, i.e. linked with emissaries, I can see ftp being severely limited to the basic 3, Saradomin, Zaramok & Guthix (Godless), be interesting to see pocket use in ftp with the production skill.

Quest Cape Achieved 10/08/2012

TFU: Ruinous Edge

TFUsig2_zpsc5e7f1a4.png

A piece of glass in the sand under your feet, it cuts you deep and it makes you hate the beauty that you see.

Didn't Jagex say the gathering skill will be f2p while the processing one would be p2p?

flere_imsaho.png

As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapabale of solving approaches zero.

Ensure you are not a social situation.

Do you think they'll remove the Prayer skill altogether? I have always felt that there should be more ways to train it than just burying and offering bones. This seems like it would add an interactive aspect to what is otherwise a very bland skill, requiring you to be actively involved in your training. I'm not sure how the skill would work, as it might be limited to currying favour to your god of choice, but I feel like they might replace prayer, taking what they already have and developing it further. It would also be a viable method for F2P players, who are currently limited to big bones and below.

I severly doubt they will remove the prayer skill to be honest^.

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo
2mqj8rr.png
Minigames: Level 5 in All Barbarian Assault Roles PM me in game or on these forums to play. Over 500 Castle Wars Games with 460+ Tickets.

I have a feeling divination rewards will be something more like gifting from gods, but to what extent would be up for debate. I would imagine progression through divination will be quite similar to that of dungeoneering. Both will have a heavy narrative play through as hinted at by the IGN article. With that said I would suppose divination will be carrying out the works of these gods.

div·i·na·tion

[div-uh-ney-shuhn] Show IPA

noun

1. the practice of attempting to foretell future events or discover hidden knowledge by occult or supernatural means.

2. augury; prophecy: The divination of the high priest was fulfilled.

3. perception by intuition; instinctive foresight.

I have another feeling from the dictionary definition of divination that we won't necessarily be attempting to foretell things to come. Instead I believe we will be the acting force that makes these events come to fruition. This was also something Mod Mark pointed out that we would be doing. Mark stated the player would be taking an active role in "shaping" the world around us in the events after TWW. What might come fomr from the new skill for example might be some "divine" scripture handed to us from one of the emissaries that reads Saradomin's forces will purge Misthalin of the Zamorakian forces. You might be the enacting force going into the bowels of the Black Knight Fortress killing elite black knights. Keeping in mind that Jagex stated that this skill would incorporate the other skills - this one being the combat skills obviously.

So lets start discussing the mechanics of the skill and keep in mind that we might be enacting out our gods will. I feel that divination might be something similar to other outside game mechanics. Specifically I am referring to the mechanics similar to how player owned ports plays out. What I am also eluding to is the old facebook games that make you progress through a story line where encounters and in game experiences are given to you at random, can be rolled through at a whim and reward you with upgrades to outfit you to handle the harder challenges ahead. Keep in mind players probably wont be able to roll through as many challenges as they want. They may be limited much like player owned ports are with 15 voyages and 3 rollovers. Much like player owned ports you might catch a rare chance at a much harder encounter. So ideally as we progress through helping out god in his set of scenarios we might progress to harder scenarios such as facing off against some of the other gods apposing generals in a troll invasion-like way.

How we might be rewarded other than experience for obvious skills used I'm not sure what else might come.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

"discover hidden knowledge by occult or supernatural means."

Do want :D. Sounds like a fair skill too. Getting afk xp @ Varrock library go!

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

TBH they'd probably make a killing if SOF lamps worked on the new skill. Not sure if that'd justify the potential damage to the game's integrity if they did that though

They'll obviously halt divination from appearing on lamps.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

TBH they'd probably make a killing if SOF lamps worked on the new skill. Not sure if that'd justify the potential damage to the game's integrity if they did that though

They'll obviously halt divination from appearing on lamps.

they'd make an absolute fortune off it, can never be too sure

baileydafrog.png

Considering that Mod Mark described the skill as "an old-fashioned Gathering skill like Mining or Fishing" when asked if it was going to be complicated like Dungeoneering, I doubt it is going to be anything that is particularly innovative in that regards.

Divination is a broad subject, but the particular part I believe they are going for is that known as Dowsing. Here's an article all about it.

In Dowsing, you use an object known as a Divining Rod (two L-shaped metal or wooden rods) to search around for things hidden under the ground. It's sort of a magical precursor to the thing we now know as Metal Detecting, except it was meant to find burial sites, ley lines (magical sources of energy in the world), relics, water, and rare materials. Considering that the Diviners in Guthix's memories were excited about the discovery of a new source of magical power, not linked to the gods, makes me think that this is the most likely route.

It is essentially, in many ways, a lot like an Archaeology skill would have been. Places like Guthix's final resting place are exactly the kind of discoveries a Diviner would detect in the world--and it's likely that we will see many more like it.

This ties in with Jagex's announced plans for "resource war" world events--where players would discover a rare cache of materials that are useful to the Gods, and be able to decide which god their portion of the spoils go to. It's likely that those will be found through Divination. Think about it this way--through Divination, you could find old journals, rare materials to give to the god of your choice, new parts and resources for making things in other skills, ancient ruins full of new lore, and potentially rare weapons from the God Wars that are still leaking power. The potential is endless.

Of course, this is just my thoughts, but considering what we know about Divination so far and what the in-game hints are pointing towards, I think it's likely to be something like that.

Note: This wouldn't necessarily need to be something where you particularly have to track down discoveries, like WoW's Archaeology or the Frozen Key buried treasure trails. It could just be patches of dirt in the world that you can randomly search through for all we know. There's lots of directions they could take--I would enjoy it either way.

• Like 2

Binary_Mage.pngxJgdnyi.png

The Fallen Diviner

I really can't see Jagex stooping as low as allowing lamps to be used on the new skill for at least a month or two. But then again if you told me 2 years ago they'd introduce a feature ripped straight from cashshop MMOs I wouldn't have believed you either.

• Like 1

Replacing sort of implies that you keep the xp, which defeats most of the point of a NEW skill.

I agree. Additionally, considering how there are many players that have invested hundreds of millions of GP into this, it is highly unlikely that they'll remove the skill altogether. I'm very curious as to how they will make an intricate skill out of what could very well pass as a branch of Prayer.