How to not suck at Runescape?

Grand Orca

Hey people, I've been playing runescape on and off for ~4 years, made my current account back in 2009. However, for some reason, I just fail at leveling up my skills in any way. I see players with eighties and nineties and wonder how they managed to get millions of xp.

My highest skill is Magic. It's 71. Right after that I have 70 Attack and Strength, and 67 Defense. This took me 4 years. What.

But yeah, even if I seem to have the worst patience every when it comes to skilling and combat, I still think the game is fun. I'd just love to be able to do higher level stuff like QBD, Nex and Corp.

How does everyone manage to grind the same skill for so many hours?

By sucking it up and doing it instead of giving up and starting a new account or quitting.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Guest Smelly Paws

Playing RS should be a pleasure not a chore. If levelling is bad for you why not vary your gameplay a bit? As soon as I find one way of levelling boring I switch to somthing else, even if it's lower xp. It's probably also an indicator that I'm doing too much in one skill at once.

• Like 2

A lot of high-levelled players are of the 'efficient' variety, which means you train (almost) exclusively with the fastest methods. Note that the fastest method is the one that gives you the most xp/h averaged, not the method that offers the highest xp/h excluding cost (gp cost, charm cost, SC point cost etc.). This almost always means you choose to avoid the afk methods, instead focusing on high-attention high-xp methods. Fast methods also tend to involve more moneymaking than slow methods. For example, broad arrows are much better than magic longbows, but you need to make money. Time-limited methods tend to be extremely good xp/h (some challenges, warbands, troll invasion, tears of Guthix, Char's cave, god statues, the circus etc.). A part of efficiency is avoiding maxing/levelling skills when it is not beneficial to do so, though challenges changed that a bit, and to keep a slow skill low if you do tears. For example, if you are 97 firemaking, you should have the patience to wait three months for 99 firemaking through Char's cave, while you train other skills, rather than wasting time bonfiring.

Along with efficiency, a certain level of perfectionism helps grinding. Instead of afking ivy, you can try going for the very highest xp/h possible (being teaks or arctic pines), dropping every log perfectly, moving between trees without time lost and such.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

it also helps to find a money making method you really like, breaks up the terribleness of grinding a lot, while still being efficent

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

^Only a valid statement if your chosen money maker qualifies as an efficient money maker in the first place.

Eg collecting feathers from chickens for money is by no means efficient.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

My account has been around for around 8.5 years and I only have one 99, while most accounts that were created around that time and even lately, are either maxed out or close to it. As Smelly Paws said, it should be played for fun, you shouldn't feel like you have to play it, you should want to play it.

• Like 3

Finally on here to update that I have officially quit! It's been fun.
[hide=Signature]
Gandalf14141.png
R.I.P Billy Mays and <3 My Friend C.D.S 7/8/09 <3
60,816th to 99 Fletching 03/07/09|220,309th Person to be Able to Kill Dusties 10 Year Cape on 12/20/14[/hide]

grammar2gr8dx.png

^Only a valid statement if your chosen money maker qualifies as an efficient money maker in the first place.

Eg collecting feathers from chickens for money is by no means efficient.

most people find PvM fun though, and that's for the most part efficient.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

I've been playing the game on and off for a long time now - 5-6 years and my max level is still only 92 (granted I've been more off than on). I used to worry about that, money making and the fact I had no idea what I was doing.

Now that I've been back for only a few weeks I've realised it's not all that hard. You just need to try things and see what you like. I've found slayer and aviansie killing enjoyable - even though it should be a bit of a drag. When trying things I previously thought to be too hard - I've happily discovered that they really aren't so hard.

The important thing to remember on top of this all though is that you do need to put in some graft to get things in this game. I watch tv or listen to music when playing - especially when making money or slaying. Then I can focus for quests and harder monsters.

Slyfoxuk.png

I had the same problem I when I came back 1.5 years ago now. I solved this my working up my base level. This removed the monotonous from skilling till a certain level.

Now 1.5 years later I went from 62 base to nearly 93 base. Some months I've not been able to skill much or because I was doing other stuff like bossing. Yet I managed to do this just by getting my base level up bit by bit and rotating all the skills =D!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

I would say joining a clan or finding a good group of friends on runescape is important. Being able to talk to people and share your big moments. Getting 99 skills or getting huge drops from monsters is not as fun if you have no one to share it with.

I am just getting back into the game and it is nice to come back to see my old clan. I am by far not the best at this game and do not always train the most efficiently but I do things I like to do. I like to set goals like getting all my skills over 70 or getting over 2000 total lvl. That is usually what keeps me going in the game. When I set goals like that it makes it easier to push through training some of the skills I do not enjoy as much.

sportsjock21.png

You have to keep playing to get good.

You are letting the monotony of the way you train kill you.

Just try a bunch of different things, explore ways even.

The only important thing is that you are gaining xp even if it isn't the fastest rate.

Baby steps is the key, not everybody is a robotic grinder.

• Like 1

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol