The degradation of Old School RS

Old combat system PVP did not require much skill, the most twitch gamer kind of thing involved some armour changing and gmaul combos.

But it wasn't skill less. If you knew when to attack and when to eat, heck, even when to tele, you'd get a lot more kills than the average player. And reaching perfection was practically impossible which made it endlessly fun to try. It wasn't complex or even objectively "good", but it was unique and obviously did something right.

RS3 is just a much worse version than the billion clones it's poorly mimicking. I'd much rather play guild wars 2 before RS3, and since they are enormous time sinks almost by definition, you can't really play both. So RS3 has a lot more competition.

CNqWHdA.jpg

I think these are decent ideas, I agree with your opinion though. I myself, being an 8 or 9 year veteran of RS, find OSRS to be a fun game, for now. The problem I see is that the market is actually gonna collapse on itself without rares actually being discontinued. All the collectible resources will become saturated and the price will drop, making money extremely hard to get and items to be extremely cheap, thus, driving away the player base. It's almost like Jagex wants the OSRS to go away quietly along with everybody who plays it. Interesting tactics, IMO.

I somewhat agree with this. OSRS is very fun, as it's a blast from the past for most players of RS. I've been playing RS since classic so getting on for 12 years now, I know this may sound strange but I actually haven't logged in to EoC since 07 was released. I think that people will be loyal to OSRS but there will always be a threat of it collapsing - it just depends on how many people stick to it!

I agree with that above statement, but if the population goes down like RSC's did, the game is doomed even worse then RSC! I played RSC on my original account and the one I'm on now, I've gotten the full taste of RuneScape, and I don't think it's possible a game survives without a discontinued item for players to work to. What inevitably keeps players interested in EoC is there desire to be wealthy, and in that fact, buy the rare things wealthy people are associated (rares, high level armors, etc.). It's funny that in all my time I've owned such a minute number of rares, I just don't see many players being able to enjoy the game for much longer the way I play, which is a more "I'll worry about my bank when it comes time," style.

Anyways, point-and-click attacking is the RuneScape I remember from my childhood, I'll always enjoy that more. An action bar and adrenalin reminds me too much of WoW, which some of my friends and fraternity brothers grew up with, so they'll always enjoy it more. I can't say which is better overall, but for RS, point-and-click combat was a reason for wild success.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

"But it certainly doesn't hurt to try and improve it."

"Unless you fail to do so, in which case it hurts a lot."

I wasn't speaking specifically of RuneScape.

Besides, it doesn't matter if you fail and get hurt, since that does not prevent you from getting back up.

I have no problem with EoC, nor do I have a problem with 07. I have a problem with the people who won't give things a chance.(momentum, for example)

The two versions will appeal to different player bases, and 07 will likely die out long before the current version. So it goes.

Besides, it doesn't matter if you fail and get hurt, since that does not prevent you from getting back up.

In business, it can very well prevent you from getting back up.

LgEZt.png

Jeez, that has to be one of the worst idioms in the English language to cite. Not only is it grammatically incorrect (reminiscent of something someone who barely made it through 5th grade would say), but it also seeks to prevent any sort of progress. Things may be fine, but they can be better.

Not only that, but it also says that the combat system wasn't broken, which is 200% wrong. Everything was wrong with it. It wasn't engaging, it wasn't balanced, it wasn't logical. It needed to be fixed.

• Like 2

Yes there is no harm in trying, it's when you fail to see, or refuse to acknowledge, that all the hard work you put into the change is actually harmful. Something Jagex are prone to do. (Remember the climbing boots fiasco?)

To be honest I like the current system of having RS3 for those that want it, but retaining RS2 for those that prefer that. As long as both survive I'm happy. Just your phrase was so... Complete garbage.

CNqWHdA.jpg

Yes there is no harm in trying, it's when you fail to see, or refuse to acknowledge, that all the hard work you put into the change is actually harmful. Something Jagex are prone to do. (Remember the climbing boots fiasco?)

To be honest I like the current system of having RS3 for those that want it, but retaining RS2 for those that prefer that. As long as both survive I'm happy. Just your phrase was so... Complete garbage.

Like I said, I wasn't referring specifically to RuneScape. Hedgehog's post summed up my thoughts quite nicely.

Jeez, that has to be one of the worst idioms in the English language to cite. Not only is it grammatically incorrect (reminiscent of something someone who barely made it through 5th grade would say), but it also seeks to prevent any sort of progress. Things may be fine, but they can be better.

Not only that, but it also says that the combat system wasn't broken, which is 200% wrong. Everything was wrong with it. It wasn't engaging, it wasn't balanced, it wasn't logical. It needed to be fixed.

Balance, engagement, and logicality aren't objectively good or desirable features to have in a game. Jagex destroyed a very specific aesthetic that RuneScape had for many years and turned away a significant portion of the playerbase in the process. There are much better executions of the combat system Jagex poorly cloned so I really don't understand why anyone would choose RuneScape as it is now over other games.

Yes, shirking away from change or improvement is bad. RuneScape pre-EoC was far better than OSRS in many ways. Overhauling one of the core mechanics of the game wasn't as simple as an improvement- it was a gamble. The success of that gamble is determined by each individual, and obviously some found it to be a failure and turned to OSRS.

There are much better executions of the combat system Jagex poorly cloned so I really don't understand why anyone would choose RuneScape as it is now over other games.

Oh, I don't know.

But you know what? If you can find me a game that has the same quests, the same lore, the same skills, the same world map, the same characters and the same people playing, I'm totally in.

The thing is, this is a game. You can't use real life sayings to fully express anything. I can say "If it ain't broke don't fix it," (Which is technically grammatically correct FYI) and you can say stuff about getting up and trying again, but in the game world that's not always the case.

Obviously there's always room for improvement, the game world isn't static, but one wrong move and your playerbase is gone, making it incredibly difficult, and in some cases even impossible, to get up and try again.

Just saying.

How is it grammatically correct?

It should be "If it isn't broken, then don't fix it."

Most idioms are not grammatically correct. They're made for speech which doesn't necessarily follow the same rules as text, grammar messes with the flow and rhythm of the phrase.

It's still a very stupid anti-progress statement though, just as stupid as applying "There's no harm in trying" to any situation, including those that there indeed is harm in failed attempts.

I love "Now I am become death, destroyer of worlds." on so many levels.

CNqWHdA.jpg

I got distracted when you said something blatantly wrong, my bad.

Having read the rest of your post, I think none of it is relevant, because, well, RuneScape hasn't died and probably won't ever die because of any single update.

I see that Hedgehog hasn't even unlocked the wilderness music tracks.

07 / pre eoc pking requires more skill then anything in eoc will ever do.

iKhvZOZ.png4F4hQZ4.png

I see that Hedgehog hasn't even unlocked the wilderness music tracks.

07 / pre eoc pking requires more skill then anything in eoc will ever do.

I wish you'd respond to Hedge's arguments and elaborate on your own position.

But with that said, I'm also curious as to how much experience Hedge actually has with old school PK'ing :D haha

77yLQy8.png