Have greater demons become tougher now?

I remember before I quit RuneScape back in November of last year that I could easily defeat at least 100 greater demons in one trip with just 20 lobsters in my inventory. They were pretty easy to fight.

However, things have changed.

Now I can barely even reach 30 kills of greater demons.

My dragon armor was the best thing to use to fight them, but now they are using magic instead of melee.

So I used my black dragonhide armor like I should. But even then I can't help but to notice greater demons are tougher than they used to be.

So my question is what's the best way to fight greater demons now? I usually kill them with my dragon battleaxe. (and yeah I love that weapon I don't care what anybody says.) But their weakness doesn't seem to be slash anymore like it used to be.

Their weakness is now ranged (bolts I think) so your dragon battleaxe won't hit as well as a ranged weapon of a similar tier.

If you are taking too much damage, you may want to consider using a crossbow and a shield, using abilities to heal and lessen damage.

xcsx7c.png | 3gliP.jpg | 51y5tv.png  |  8mO5K.jpg

A Blog to Bathtubs for Beginners
Quest Cape | 99 Defence Achieved 11-Jul-2011 17:41 | 99 Prayer 11-Jul-2012 | 99 Constitution 02-Aug-2012

99 Attack 31/10/2012 | 99 Dungeoneering 31/10/2012 | 99 Strength 31/10/2012 | 99 Magic 2/12/2012

99 Range 16/12/2012 | 99 Herblore 25/12/2012 | 99 Summoning 4/1/2013 | 99 Firemaking 6/3/2013

99 Farming 10/4/2013 | 99 Slayer 11/7/2013 | 99 Fletching 21/8/2013  |  99 Smithing 22/8/2013 

99 Crafting 19/12/2013  |  99 Cooking 15/1/2014  |  99 Agility 25/1/2014  |  99 Thieving 01/02/2014

99 Construction 21/04/2014  |  99 Woodcutting 04/03/2014  |  99 Fishing 17/04/2014  |  99 Mining 23/07/2015

99 Divination 27/07/2015  |  99 Runecrafting 20/08/2015  |  99 Hunter 20/08/2015  | Maxed 20/08/2015

It would depend upon the crossbow you are using and your ranged level. Broad bolts should be a cheap and viable alternative.

xcsx7c.png | 3gliP.jpg | 51y5tv.png  |  8mO5K.jpg

A Blog to Bathtubs for Beginners
Quest Cape | 99 Defence Achieved 11-Jul-2011 17:41 | 99 Prayer 11-Jul-2012 | 99 Constitution 02-Aug-2012

99 Attack 31/10/2012 | 99 Dungeoneering 31/10/2012 | 99 Strength 31/10/2012 | 99 Magic 2/12/2012

99 Range 16/12/2012 | 99 Herblore 25/12/2012 | 99 Summoning 4/1/2013 | 99 Firemaking 6/3/2013

99 Farming 10/4/2013 | 99 Slayer 11/7/2013 | 99 Fletching 21/8/2013  |  99 Smithing 22/8/2013 

99 Crafting 19/12/2013  |  99 Cooking 15/1/2014  |  99 Agility 25/1/2014  |  99 Thieving 01/02/2014

99 Construction 21/04/2014  |  99 Woodcutting 04/03/2014  |  99 Fishing 17/04/2014  |  99 Mining 23/07/2015

99 Divination 27/07/2015  |  99 Runecrafting 20/08/2015  |  99 Hunter 20/08/2015  | Maxed 20/08/2015

Honestly I remember your h&a threads from before you quit and you always refused to take the advice given to you, it's going to hurt you now even more so with the combat changes. Unless you are using tier 8 weaponry or higher you're going to have to use the attack style the monster is weak against, in this case bolts. And no steel bolts will not work well.

Using abilities does not consume ammo so your actual "use" of rune bolts is next to nothing.

And dragon battleaxes are next to worthless in the EoC even more so than they were before (which they absolutely were).

• Like 2

witchynosaur.png

Armadyl Drops : 4 Hilts; 3 Chestplates; 2 Chainskirts; 1 Helmet; 1 Buckler; 2 Shard 1; 2 Shard 2; 1 Shard 3

Nex : 1 Zaryte Bow

Kalphite King : 1 Drygore Rapier ; 1 Drygore Longsword : 1 Drygore Offhand Rapier : 1 Drygore Offhand Longsword

Whilst I don't quite agree with the way tieszen phrased his message - the content is pretty accurate. I range Greaters with a crystal bow and take a shield to use rejuvenate's heal and I use no food. Granted my range level is a touch higher but this would be a good chance to improve yours. EoC is much different (as I have discovered after coming back not long ago) and you really do need to tailor the way you attack things as is appropriate.

Melee is straight up terrible against some things, and then you try range/mage and they just die instantly.

Slyfoxuk.png

Using abilities does not consume ammo so your actual "use" of rune bolts is next to nothing.

Alright, I'll buy like 150 rune bolts and see how it goes.

I can easily still fight the greater demons with melee. But I realize that if I do that it won't be as easy as it was.

The only ranged weapons I have are rune crossbow and magic shortbow. I don't have any other ranged weapon. Will either of those weapons work?

If not, I might buy some that work better.

the tier of a weapon is very important now, if your weapon tier is lower then the monsters defense tier your accuracy is going to suffer. This means that low tier weapons, like rune crossbow and msb, are pretty bad now, even if they were decent before eoc.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

the tier of a weapon is very important now, if your weapon tier is lower then the monsters defense tier your accuracy is going to suffer. This means that low tier weapons, like rune crossbow and msb, are pretty bad now, even if they were decent before eoc.

If I saw that post before I went to the greater demons I wouldn't have used a rune crossbow.

Anyway, I appreciate all the help, I do. And you know, I noticed that I deal more damage to the greater demons with dragon battleaxe than rune crossbows. I should have just stuck to using my dragon battleaxe.

Well, I'm gonna sell all the rune bolts I bought since my dragon battleaxe is a lot more useful.

And I do appreciate all the help I got, I do. I should maybe have bought the ranged weapons you guys suggested, but I didn't since I wanted to use what I had. (yeah, it was a bad idea to use runite bolts with rune crossbow.)

And hey, being able to kill 30 greater demons in one trip isn't all that bad, I will get used to it.

That's the last post I'll be making here for now (unless I need further help, which I don't think I do, I got everything figured out) since I'm not really a part of the community anymore.

If I saw that post before I went to the greater demons I wouldn't have used a rune crossbow.

Anyway, I appreciate all the help, I do. And you know, I noticed that I deal more damage to the greater demons with dragon battleaxe than rune crossbows. I should have just stuck to using my dragon battleaxe.

Well, I'm gonna sell all the rune bolts I bought since my dragon battleaxe is a lot more useful.

And I do appreciate all the help I got, I do. I should maybe have bought the ranged weapons you guys suggested, but I didn't since I wanted to use what I had. (yeah, it was a bad idea to use runite bolts with rune crossbow.)

And hey, being able to kill 30 greater demons in one trip isn't all that bad, I will get used to it.

That's the last post I'll be making here for now (unless I need further help, which I don't think I do, I got everything figured out) since I'm not really a part of the community anymore.

I'd try with a black salamander, it's <1k gp and should be much, much better then either a dragon battle axe or rune crossbow.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

Dragon battleaxe is level 60, rune crossbow level 50, of course dba is going to do more damage. Greaters aren't that strong.

Get yourself a nice keepsaked weapon and use Guthan's, that would suit your playstyle very well.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Nah, I'm a knight. I'll just stick to battling greater demons the way I usually do.

:wall:

For my sake will you at least try using a black salamander or a crystal bow? Or listen to Q's advice and just keepsake a dragon battleaxe and use something useful?

witchynosaur.png

Armadyl Drops : 4 Hilts; 3 Chestplates; 2 Chainskirts; 1 Helmet; 1 Buckler; 2 Shard 1; 2 Shard 2; 1 Shard 3

Kalphite King : 1 Drygore Rapier ; 1 Drygore Longsword : 1 Drygore Offhand Rapier : 1 Drygore Offhand Longsword

i have 60 magic... and 60 attack...

i tested my dual dragon longswords and then i tested air blast whith obby staff.

(i equipped whith fury, warrior ring... < (i change to and from beserk and warrior sometimes...)

obby cape/sara mage cape... (i change em ) and my magic did alot more damage..., if your finding that they hit alot id use that defensive skill that requires level 2 defence cuz it actually helps alot)

also my defence is 50, so i used shtty armour (rune ) also changed rune and mystic... (i had like 5 food inv...)

i got 11 kills... it wouldve been heaps higher if i just went in whith my mage gear... however...

my favourite dragon wepons right now (based on stats and price) would be:

dragon spear

dual dragon longswords

dragon longsword + d claws offhand

dual d claws

i wouldnt ever go b axe, even thoe it looks pretty sick, however i wouldve put 2h in there but the dragon 2h price is a joke right now. id probably upgrade to chaotic claws once i explore dungeoneering a bit more.

and yeah greater deamons get powned by : full mystic, obby staff, sara/zam/guth mage cape, 43 pray + ( i got 60), ammy of fury.

thats because my magic is 60, id probs go poly staff etc if it were 70 something...

a_c_i_v_i_i.png

lol if you have fun with your dragon baxe, go ahead. Just know that your other alternatives are

- Crystal bow

- Black sally with harralander tar

- Handcannon with shot

- Royal cbow with royal bolts

All 4 are quite cheap and easy to get. Black sally has barely no reqs.

At the risk of drifting oft-topic, to play devil's advocate on black salamanders:

I used to avoid melee-- absolutely got burnt out on it. Used darts a lot, and then used black salamanders on almost everything.

I eventually found melee weapons that amused me again, but then this was before the EoC. And I was pretty disappointed on how the salamander was changed. It used to be a close-quarter range weapon, which could be used for melee, ranged, or magic, depending on attack style. The melee option was comparatively weak, as you may remember, but it was indispensable at Barrows, as you could attack Brothers on the diagonal when bound or frozen.

Now salamanders are basically generic bolt weapons. Still, I guess they are reasonable overall. The stats now are comparable to Karil's crossbow (original 2H). They don't deal as much damage as hand cannons, but still, harralander tar remains cheaper than hand cannon shot or bolt racks.

Back on topic: If you don't detest the SoF completely and think you might have a shot at the Slayer masks, that'd be my only other thought/suggestion. Most of the corresponding monsters have an option to kill with melee effectively. I have one for crawling hands, and I use it whenever I've had a task I somewhat detested (more so if I spent points to cancel) or just want to melee some more. I usually head for Meyerditch Labs and smack zombie/skeletal hands. Sure, I could do a lot better back with Kuradal, but it's a decent diversion and as long as I talk to Chaldear, the task is sufficiently long.

I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but,

You have

95 attack

94 strength

95 defence

Killing 30 greater demons with a full inventory of lobsters is absolutely trash. Don't even try to tell yourself different.

I understand for, whatever reason that I will never quite understand, you have fondly grown to accept that a Dragon Battle-axe is your go-to weapon. It's sentimental or something. Fine, but use it in the right way. And that way is alching it. Buy a whip. They're like 70 k now. Cheap as chips. Even better get a vine whip and throw it on. A whip is going to increase your kills/inventory by quite a bit. Yes, since EOC, things have become harder, or different. And in most cases, much, much easier if you kill things the correct way. It's time to move on. Move on from your battle axe. I have faith in you

• Like 1

Main Account - Max cape achieved 10th September 2011
Noob Account - 2300 total and climbing 

6CCmn.jpg

i have 60 magic... and 60 attack...

i tested my dual dragon longswords and then i tested air blast whith obby staff.

(i equipped whith fury, warrior ring... < (i change to and from beserk and warrior sometimes...)

obby cape/sara mage cape... (i change em ) and my magic did alot more damage..., if your finding that they hit alot id use that defensive skill that requires level 2 defence cuz it actually helps alot)

also my defence is 50, so i used shtty armour (rune ) also changed rune and mystic... (i had like 5 food inv...)

i got 11 kills... it wouldve been heaps higher if i just went in whith my mage gear... however...

my favourite dragon wepons right now (based on stats and price) would be:

dragon spear

dual dragon longswords

dragon longsword + d claws offhand

dual d claws

i wouldnt ever go b axe, even thoe it looks pretty sick, however i wouldve put 2h in there but the dragon 2h price is a joke right now. id probably upgrade to chaotic claws once i explore dungeoneering a bit more.

and yeah greater deamons get powned by : full mystic, obby staff, sara/zam/guth mage cape, 43 pray + ( i got 60), ammy of fury.

thats because my magic is 60, id probs go poly staff etc if it were 70 something...

They're weak to range, people reading this might actually go mage or melee them in tier 6 gear which is a horrible idea, please don't post bad advice.

• Like 1

witchynosaur.png

Alright, I believe I owe a lot of you an apology.

I'm sorry I disregarded a lot of the advice given to me. Yes, you guys who say that using ranged weapons against the greater demons is a better option are absolutely right.

Now keep in mind that I'm never apologizing for thinking dragon battleaxe is a good melee weapon, I am sticking to that opinion. (I gave abyssal whip a chance, and didn't find it as good as dragon battleaxe.)

However, I am sorry that I didn't listen to you who suggested that I should use ranged weapons.

I currently have 800K coins (something like that) and I will get myself a salamander soon, or better ranged weapons if I can afford them.

It's time for me to face the facts. Greater demons are no longer easy to kill with melee. Things have changed since I stopped playing RuneScape back in November of last year. And unlike before I left, this time I actually wanna improve and be a better player.

I play RuneScape for fun. And let's just face it, being able to kill less than 30 demons in one trip isn't really that fun. I plan on killing over 1,000 of these demons. And it will go extremely slow if I keep fighting these demons the way I did. It would be fast if the greater demons were still easy to kill, and weren't powerful, but that's not the case anymore.

Next time I'll play RuneScape I will get better ranged equipment for sure. Because after all, I wanna kill over 1,000 greater demons quickly.

If you guys still think I'm a bad player, I understand. I shouldn't leave this community simply because I wanna play the game my way. That does make me stubborn I will admit that.

• Like 2

Whoever recommended salamander and harrlander tars, thank you. Killing greater demons is so much easier now.

One problem though, the harrlander tars are pretty expensive, 1,000 of them cost around 240K coins. I don't really know how to gain that much money quickly.

Edited by Blaze The Movie Fan