Workout plan for beginner/no equipment

Jonanananas

Basically, I've wanted to start working out a bit, to build some muscle and get fitter. However, without a proper workout plan, I don't train properly (and more or less the same results if I have a plan that I can't properly complete). I've been looking around a bit, but I haven't really found something to suit me.

So, right now I don't have any workout experience and no equipment. I could buy weights, but first I want to get started and see how I'm doing before that. Don't have much space for any bigger equipment. I considered going to the gym, but I don't really want to spend that much money right now, plus it would eat more time.

Any tips on where I can find a decent workout plan for beginners with no equipment? Or just general tips for working out?

Depends on what your goal is.

Strength gain?

Muscle mass gain?

Fat loss?

Choose one (and only one)

Normally I'd just advise you to start off by simply sticking to 5x5 bench press, deadlifts, and squats since that's pretty much the simplest all-around workout you can get, but that's not really an option w/o a gym.

I'd just buy a pull-up bar for biceps/back. Do pushups and variations of pushups for chest/tris/shoulders. Go running/sprinting for legs and/or Google 1-legged squat progressions.

77yLQy8.png

^I wouldn't say you can ONLY have 1 of the 3 as your goal. Most workout regimes overall would go for 2/3 of thoose.

Eg someone going for size would want to gain the size but losing fat is just as important to emphasis the size.

Someone going for fat lose is well served by gaining some size as more muscle helps increase metabolic rate a bit and thus aid fat lose.

Someone going for strength would probably want a little bit of size too as increasing the size a bit will help expand the strength possiblities.

Also pushups and pullups may not be a good starting point (you'd have to try to find out), not everyone can do them and their reliance on bodyweight makes them one of the hardest things to do if your just starting out and perhaps are a bit of the heavy side. Sure if you can do them, great, but it's by no means a guarantee; I can't do a pull up to save my life cause I'm far too heavy for my strength atm simply due to being tall and broad and I can barely do 2-3 proper push up for similar reasons.

For a starting point I'd advise incorporating bridges and planks; they are good for working your core muscles which will help stabilise and improve results from everything else. Bodyweight squats are also decent enough to start with for some focused leg work and you can easily grab some sugar bags or something to add weight to them before investing in dumbells or a full bar. Running/Sprinting and/or biking is great for legs too.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Consider it "primarily" instead of "only." You can only expect to get good results in one of those areas, but you'll still get some results in the others as a side-effect. Expecting to lose lots of fat, get huge muscles, and get incredibly strong simultaneously will quickly lead to frustration. Gotta focus on one area at a time then move on to the next once you're satisfied with the results.

There's better exercises you can do than planks... just because planks are an isometric exercise, which is inferior to concentric and eccentric movements (exercises which involve "reps")

If you can't do basic bodyweight exercises yet, Google the progressions for them. If you can do them already, then put heavy objects in a backpack and do weighted bodyweight exercises.

Also read this if you're going to be doing bodyweight exercises at home. All my workouts for the past year have been bodyweight training at home following that method. Could do chinups with 1 arm after only a few months of training. :thumbup:

• Like 1

77yLQy8.png

You say you could buy weights, which are typically 1 usd/lb (VERY rough estimate). But gym memberships in America are as low as 15 usd/month (planet fitness). My gym also has a 5 dollar/day rate which is not bad if you want to go a few times and try it out. The staff will also show you around and give a very short very concise bit of training free (up to a point, as gyms to charge for personal training.)

anyway, when I first started it was basically all pullups, pushups, dips, and crunches. Eventually threw in some leg things like wall squats and light dumbbell squats/lunges. IMO, great place for anyone to start is simply pushups pullups and dips as a circuit. Start with 5 to 10 sets of 2-5 reps each. Don't cheat yourself though, if you can do that 5th rep do it. Little to no rest in between. This won't turn you into the hulk, but it's a great place for beginners to start and get the feel of working out.

The single most important part of weight lifting, and probably all exercise, is nutrition. I am not sure how serious you want to take this, but this is a good video all about nutrition-

it's a bit long at close to two hours, but very easy to understand and an excellent video. If you don't want to watch the entire video, watch the first 30mins.

I am not a skiller, but i do some skills.

rcwar1st.gifconwar3rd.gifwcdec2nd.gifskillwar2nd.gif

Spring2008slaycompsig.png

Thanks for the tips so far, the exercise progressions especially look interesting. I can do the basic bodyweight exercises, but not too many of them.

The main goal is muscle mass gain.

There's only one reasonably cheap gym anywhere near me, which is about 30 usd/month, but a friend of mine has been there and said it's awful, bad air conditioning, the showers don't always work etc. Plus it's still about 40 minutes away so that would eat into my time a lot too.

I'm honestly not sure how much I'll be able to watch my food. I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep up restrictions in that area for long. I'll watch the video though and see what I can do, thanks.

How important is a weekly schedule? Should I try to train on the same days? Does it matter how long the intervals between workouts are ?(besides the obvious fact that with shorter intervals, you have more workouts)

• 3 weeks later...

All you really need as a beginner is a dumbbell set, something a pull-up bar, and a pair of running shoes. As long as you maintain a healthy diet and exercise regularly it'll be much easier than expected. If you literally want a planner I used this when I was first getting into the routine.

Tg_Ibe.png