Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Jagex's chatwatch program automuting private messages/etc

Account Security Bots Clan Chronicle Current Events Community Economics Endgame Ethics Fiction RS Market

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

bw7255
[ Display Name History ]

bw7255

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 2 posts
Big images

http://www.reddit.co...s_on_automatic/

The new chat-watch system will automatically mute chat between you and your friends, IN PRIVATE CHAT, that is deemed offensive.

See the above reddit link for a link to the whole post by Mod Lyon.

Edited by Kimberly, 11 June 2013 - 06:12 AM.
Added pictures, proper link, and made the title more appropriate

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,443 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
club penguin mode activated

Reliable
[ Display Name History ]

Reliable

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 181 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Reliable
Wish I could say I was shocked...

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts
Wonder how long it will take me to get slapped with one.

Tempest Mike
[ Display Name History ]

Tempest Mike

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:Tempest Mike
Have to use skype or facebook or something then.
Most people already do, no big deal.

Or just not swear.

Posted Image

Sir_Squab
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Squab

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,903 posts
  • RSN:Sir Squab
Completely moronic. As it has been pointed out, if swearing is an issue, swears should be censored instead of banned. I can see censor evasion as a muteable offense. But if I wanna say [bleep], and the game doesn't want me to, just censor it. Like here: I swear, it gets censored. I evade the censor, there be an issue.

And if you don't wanna see swears, isn't that the entire damned point of the filter? Sheesh....

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.

The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Tempest Mike
[ Display Name History ]

Tempest Mike

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:Tempest Mike

Completely moronic. As it has been pointed out, if swearing is an issue, swears should be censored instead of banned. I can see censor evasion as a muteable offense. But if I wanna say [bleep], and the game doesn't want me to, just censor it. Like here: I swear, it gets censored. I evade the censor, there be an issue.

And if you don't wanna see swears, isn't that the entire damned point of the filter? Sheesh....

I think they want to make it more 'kid friendly', and they can't control whether or not kids have the filter active or input their correct age. That doesn't explain however why they can't just enforce the censor.

Posted Image

Hedgehog
[ Display Name History ]

Hedgehog

???

• Monster Hunting Team Leader
  • 7,784 posts
This really isn't that big of a deal.

Auror
[ Display Name History ]

Auror

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 772 posts
  • RSN:Don Auror
fuk jargalex curpuration
w66 fally riot nao

Sir_Squab
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Squab

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,903 posts
  • RSN:Sir Squab

I think they want to make it more 'kid friendly', and they can't control whether or not kids have the filter active or input their correct age. That doesn't explain however why they can't just enforce the censor.

This. If a word is bad to say in the game, censor the damn thing. My philosophy to swearing in RS is that I spell it correctly, and if the game doesn't like it then it censors it.

Altho I agree it isn't that big of a deal
  • LKN likes this

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.

The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts

Altho I agree it isn't that big of a deal

I don't know about you, but I'd like to be able to talk to my friends without having to worry about saying something that happens to be on a list that doesn't officially exist. I don't have the filter on and still manage to trigger the damn thing from time to time. If doing that is going to net me a mute, I might have to rethink using the game to chat at all.

LKN
[ Display Name History ]

LKN

Rat Meat

• Junior Crew
  • 47 posts
  • RSN:Leah LKN

This exactly.

If you're going to have the ability to censor/un-censor swearing then you will have to deal with the fact that kids, that are underage and young, will un-censor because it makes them "cool." If you don't want that then revert back to the completely censored swears. Is it really that complicated?

L8vABnV.gif

"Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud"

uPMa5XA.gif2OzAFSr.gif

RS Stats

Alaz
[ Display Name History ]

Alaz

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • RSN:Alaz

We’ve added a new feature to the old chat filter, now renamed as the profanity filter. Its default function is still to be turned on to filter out all the words (and URLs) on our blacklist, but we’ve added the option for you to turn the filter off. We recognise that RuneScape has a maturing player base and, as such, wish to give you the freedom to choose for yourselves, while also still keeping the filter for those players who do not wish to see swear words and the like.

http://services.rune...raphical-rework

In the end, this probably isn't a big deal. However, I have seen countless threads lately on the RS forums asking why they were muted for no reason with no evidence and no message. These people have no idea why they've been muted, and that's a problem on Jagex's side a good portion of the time. Once again Jagex suffering in the realm of communicating what they're thinking to players.

I don't like potty mouths as much as the next person, but I'm a grown person and can deal with it. I have an ignore list and a profanity filter if I want to use it. That should be plenty, bar only the MOST offensive of language. And even then, I can't see a time when private chat between longstanding friends should be moderated. If someone PMs me something I don't like, I add them to ignore. Their messages disappear. End of story.

Posted Image

Albel
[ Display Name History ]

Albel

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,189 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Albel
  • RSN2:Seaoh
  • Clan:SoDB
Huh...I don't know how I feel about it. Like a poster said earlier the words should be censored. What's the point now? Is it meant to get people muted now, instead of censoring the word? Seems as though this is a...issue that is simple and can be fixed easily, but instead they add something that doesn't make sense to fix it.

EDIT: In light to two posters above me just posted...no big deal now.

35bvvh1.png

Quotes

Runescape Achievements

Sy_Accursed
[ Display Name History ]

Sy_Accursed

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,851 posts
  • RSN:Sy Accursed
I feel like perhaps this is being blown out of proportion due to lack of context.

They do say this won't be 'light swearing' that you get muted for, it'll be seriously offensive terms. So I'd assume racist, homophobic, sexist type terminology and a few of the bigger swear words that even the desensitised can take offence too.

I'm not too fussed with this, shouldn't effect me or the game negatively. I know some people say the chat-watch thing is busted as they trip it all the time - but I wonder WHAT they are actually saying to trip it. I've never tripped it and no-one I know in friends or clan has tripped it by accident.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

bhim
[ Display Name History ]

bhim

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • RSN:bhim
I mean yeah ultimately it probably won't be a big deal but the fact that they feel it is perfectly acceptable to just rescind this liberty even within the private realms of our RS lives is a pretty big issue I think. I know it's their game and they have every right to do whatever they want with it but it shouldn't be the case that they abuse that right by imposing unjust rules on a whim.

In other news, does anybody know how long the mute will last if one is automuted?

Ambler
[ Display Name History ]

Ambler

Black Knight Trainer

• Monster Hunting Team
  • 3,453 posts
  • RSN:Ambler3
  • RSN2:Joe Tiko
  • Clan:EoE.... Sometimes.
Well, this could end well:

Player one: [Bleep][Bleep][Bleep] etc...
Player two: Sup?
Player one: I died at <boss>, can you bless me please?
Jagex:You have received a mute, sorry, we can't let you use your friends for help retrieving items.

Okay, maybe not. But...

Posted Image
^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^
My livestream- Currently: Offline :(
Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

Lewtations

Aiel
[ Display Name History ]

Aiel

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,104 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Aielman
  • Clan:Collam Daan
probably the same as a pmod mute initially. Then more/less when an actual Jmod reviews it.

The issue I have with this is that it's none of jagex's business what's being said in PMs/Friends Chat/Clan Chat. All moderation should be done internally by the parties involved. If you have a problem with someone sending you offensive messages, there's systems setup so you can stop it. If something offensive is being said in a clan chat, it's the clan leaders responsibility to decide whether that's something they want said in their clan, not jagex's.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

Sy_Accursed
[ Display Name History ]

Sy_Accursed

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,851 posts
  • RSN:Sy Accursed
I wouldn't say they are 'rescinding liberties' or that the rule is 'unjust' nor that it is being done on a whim.

This rule has always existed, the fact we got away with it was only a testament to their inability to monitor us properly and the fact we do it just means we have all been mildly breaking/bending rules for all these years.

They are just applying new technology to properly enforce a rule that was always in place and like I mentioned before, they did say it's not gonna be for mild swearing - it's going to be for seriously offensive language.

I also disagree with the view that it's "none of their business" - it's their game on their servers which we have access to after agreeing to their T&Cs which include following their rules. They have EVERY right to do whatever they like to any of our chat, be that monitoring or enforcing rules.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Leik
[ Display Name History ]

Leik

Super Moderator

• Senior Moderator
  • 2,584 posts
  • RSN:Leik
Happened to me couple of days ago. Was just talking to a friend over PM about various things. The next day I log in, lolrip, muted.

I sent Jagex a strongly worded e-mail and got the mute lifted. Extremely annoying however, that you can't even talk to your friends anymore without the risk of a potential mute. What I'm really mad about though, is that it was my first ever mute or "offense" on Runescape. And now that clean streak has been ruined for some bullshit. :<

But this is getting absolutely ridiculous. Mutes flying all over the place for the stupidest reasons (or no reason, really). Jagex needs to calm the [bleep] down.

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Account Security, Bots, Clan Chronicle, Current Events, Community, Economics, Endgame, Ethics, Fiction, RS Market

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users