Jagex's chatwatch program automuting private messages/etc

bw7255

[spoiler=Big images]dkRkAUF.png

1P8OSu5.png

1vumEnN.png

http://www.reddit.co...s_on_automatic/

The new chat-watch system will automatically mute chat between you and your friends, IN PRIVATE CHAT, that is deemed offensive.

See the above reddit link for a link to the whole post by Mod Lyon.

Edited by Kimberly
Added pictures, proper link, and made the title more appropriate
  • Like 1

Completely moronic. As it has been pointed out, if swearing is an issue, swears should be censored instead of banned. I can see censor evasion as a muteable offense. But if I wanna say [bleep], and the game doesn't want me to, just censor it. Like here: I swear, it gets censored. I evade the censor, there be an issue.

And if you don't wanna see swears, isn't that the entire damned point of the filter? Sheesh....

• Like 8

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Completely moronic. As it has been pointed out, if swearing is an issue, swears should be censored instead of banned. I can see censor evasion as a muteable offense. But if I wanna say [bleep], and the game doesn't want me to, just censor it. Like here: I swear, it gets censored. I evade the censor, there be an issue.

And if you don't wanna see swears, isn't that the entire damned point of the filter? Sheesh....

I think they want to make it more 'kid friendly', and they can't control whether or not kids have the filter active or input their correct age. That doesn't explain however why they can't just enforce the censor.

zdkz.png

I think they want to make it more 'kid friendly', and they can't control whether or not kids have the filter active or input their correct age. That doesn't explain however why they can't just enforce the censor.

This. If a word is bad to say in the game, censor the damn thing. My philosophy to swearing in RS is that I spell it correctly, and if the game doesn't like it then it censors it.

Altho I agree it isn't that big of a deal

• Like 1

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Altho I agree it isn't that big of a deal

I don't know about you, but I'd like to be able to talk to my friends without having to worry about saying something that happens to be on a list that doesn't officially exist. I don't have the filter on and still manage to trigger the damn thing from time to time. If doing that is going to net me a mute, I might have to rethink using the game to chat at all.

• Like 2

This exactly.

If you're going to have the ability to censor/un-censor swearing then you will have to deal with the fact that kids, that are underage and young, will un-censor because it makes them "cool." If you don't want that then revert back to the completely censored swears. Is it really that complicated?

• Like 2

L8vABnV.gif

"Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud"

uPMa5XA.gif2OzAFSr.gif

[spoiler=RS Stats]Leah_Lkn.png

We’ve added a new feature to the old chat filter, now renamed as the profanity filter. Its default function is still to be turned on to filter out all the words (and URLs) on our blacklist, but we’ve added the option for you to turn the filter off. We recognise that RuneScape has a maturing player base and, as such, wish to give you the freedom to choose for yourselves, while also still keeping the filter for those players who do not wish to see swear words and the like.

http://services.rune...raphical-rework

In the end, this probably isn't a big deal. However, I have seen countless threads lately on the RS forums asking why they were muted for no reason with no evidence and no message. These people have no idea why they've been muted, and that's a problem on Jagex's side a good portion of the time. Once again Jagex suffering in the realm of communicating what they're thinking to players.

I don't like potty mouths as much as the next person, but I'm a grown person and can deal with it. I have an ignore list and a profanity filter if I want to use it. That should be plenty, bar only the MOST offensive of language. And even then, I can't see a time when private chat between longstanding friends should be moderated. If someone PMs me something I don't like, I add them to ignore. Their messages disappear. End of story.

• Like 3
alazsig.png

Huh...I don't know how I feel about it. Like a poster said earlier the words should be censored. What's the point now? Is it meant to get people muted now, instead of censoring the word? Seems as though this is a...issue that is simple and can be fixed easily, but instead they add something that doesn't make sense to fix it.

EDIT: In light to two posters above me just posted...no big deal now.

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

I feel like perhaps this is being blown out of proportion due to lack of context.

They do say this won't be 'light swearing' that you get muted for, it'll be seriously offensive terms. So I'd assume racist, homophobic, sexist type terminology and a few of the bigger swear words that even the desensitised can take offence too.

I'm not too fussed with this, shouldn't effect me or the game negatively. I know some people say the chat-watch thing is busted as they trip it all the time - but I wonder WHAT they are actually saying to trip it. I've never tripped it and no-one I know in friends or clan has tripped it by accident.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I mean yeah ultimately it probably won't be a big deal but the fact that they feel it is perfectly acceptable to just rescind this liberty even within the private realms of our RS lives is a pretty big issue I think. I know it's their game and they have every right to do whatever they want with it but it shouldn't be the case that they abuse that right by imposing unjust rules on a whim.

In other news, does anybody know how long the mute will last if one is automuted?

Well, this could end well:

Player one: [bleep][bleep][bleep] etc...

Player two: Sup?

Player one: I died at <boss>, can you bless me please?

Jagex:You have received a mute, sorry, we can't let you use your friends for help retrieving items.

Okay, maybe not. But...

• Like 2

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

probably the same as a pmod mute initially. Then more/less when an actual Jmod reviews it.

The issue I have with this is that it's none of jagex's business what's being said in PMs/Friends Chat/Clan Chat. All moderation should be done internally by the parties involved. If you have a problem with someone sending you offensive messages, there's systems setup so you can stop it. If something offensive is being said in a clan chat, it's the clan leaders responsibility to decide whether that's something they want said in their clan, not jagex's.

• Like 1

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

I wouldn't say they are 'rescinding liberties' or that the rule is 'unjust' nor that it is being done on a whim.

This rule has always existed, the fact we got away with it was only a testament to their inability to monitor us properly and the fact we do it just means we have all been mildly breaking/bending rules for all these years.

They are just applying new technology to properly enforce a rule that was always in place and like I mentioned before, they did say it's not gonna be for mild swearing - it's going to be for seriously offensive language.

I also disagree with the view that it's "none of their business" - it's their game on their servers which we have access to after agreeing to their T&Cs which include following their rules. They have EVERY right to do whatever they like to any of our chat, be that monitoring or enforcing rules.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Happened to me couple of days ago. Was just talking to a friend over PM about various things. The next day I log in, lolrip, muted.

I sent Jagex a strongly worded e-mail and got the mute lifted. Extremely annoying however, that you can't even talk to your friends anymore without the risk of a potential mute. What I'm really mad about though, is that it was my first ever mute or "offense" on Runescape. And now that clean streak has been ruined for some bullshit. :<

But this is getting absolutely ridiculous. Mutes flying all over the place for the stupidest reasons (or no reason, really). Jagex needs to calm the [bleep] down.

• Like 5

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

I'm not too fussed with it because it's always been a rule, and after playing for so long you just learn to abide by it. And as other have said, it's going to work eventually for only seriously offensive language after they work out the kinks. Like it was stated before, it was just Jagex's inability to monitor players effectively and actually enforce it.

oaM0.png
fXPnd.png

I just wonder how strict it is? I say [bleep] and shit, etc, all the time in cc and have not had an issue.

And to people saying "it's always been a rule, get over it". well when jagex stopped auto filtering words like [bleep], I considered that a change of the no cursing rule. Basically, no it's not always been a rule. Seeing as they do have the ability to censor these words, I see it as very contradictory for them to straight up mute you for this.

But I am still a bit confused. Like I said, I curse all the time in cc etc and have not had an issue.

I am not a skiller, but i do some skills.

rcwar1st.gifconwar3rd.gifwcdec2nd.gifskillwar2nd.gif

Spring2008slaycompsig.png

I also disagree with the view that it's "none of their business" - it's their game on their servers which we have access to after agreeing to their T&Cs which include following their rules. They have EVERY right to do whatever they like to any of our chat, be that monitoring or enforcing rules.

so by that logic it's acceptable for the government to censor what I say to other people via text message? It's not (or at least shouldn't be) jagex's responsibility to determine what I find offensive. They gave me the tools to block what I find offensive, it's my responsibility to use them. Should this auto-muting be in place in public chat? absolutely. Private/cc/fc? not so much.

• Like 1

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

Time to make a bunch of new accounts and spam pm someone asking how their bots are doing.

"Hey how's the botting going?"

"Hey how much xp did you bot today?"

"Hey are you there or are you botting?"

Let's see if we can't get some enemies banned. Lord knows the RS community is full of people petty enough to do it.

• Like 2
4e0Vn.png

while i do find that certain things ain't exactly what you'd call "healthy" as far as considering the kinds of things you'd be looking at under the "beyond random cussing" category, the way they're doing it seems more irresponsible than the activity they set out to remove in the first place

8f14270694.jpg

Isn't filter mode and unfilter mode still here? I haven't been playing lately, but I'm sure that's still the case (correct me if I am mistaken). What's the point of allowing filters/unfilters if this will get you an automatic mute?

Also, obviously this is complete nonsense which seeks to for some inexplicable reason to destroy harmless and private fun between friends. I mean is it not enough that if your friends are upset they retain the option to report you? Why add this to the picture?

Also, their excuse of "Well, just because we didn't address it for like 10 [bleep]ing years, just means we were busy, not that we had forgotten about it" is pathetic. No. If you didn't do it for years, then it obviously wasn't on your mind or a priority. To suggest that the rule has always existed and we were all "rulebreakers" is basically a lazy retcon. Rules are based on enforcement, understanding and precedent. That you didn't do anything or make any expectation or understanding known to the public which might have suggested that you don't approve of swearing amongst friends means that you didn't care. Don't pretend now that you cared all these years and were just "extremely busy". Bullshit.

It is said that idle minds are the devil's workshop. This has certainly been true of this company, and it may as well be their anthem. They have a special talent for 'fixing' things which are not broken. Unsurprisingly they found the time to do it this month of all times when they had announced a slightly less demanding update schedule. They got a little bit of time and were off breaking things again for shits and giggles. Even more egregious that they did not see fit to mention this on the front pages. Keeping in line with their second most vaunted principle: let's change laws behind everyone's backs and not announce them so we can dole out punishments sadistically on people who did not know.

Just pathetic.

• Like 3