Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Jagex's chatwatch program automuting private messages/etc

Account Security Bots Clan Chronicle Current Events Community Economics Endgame Ethics Fiction RS Market

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

crazycdcm
[ Display Name History ]

crazycdcm

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 526 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Vodka
Slightly necro'ing this thread with a bit of interesting information.

I've just found out that I received a pemanent mute for website advertising, with no evidence as it's classed as macroing. I racked my brain to thing what I could have said, and drew a blank. Then it struck me that the mute actually didn't come from pming anything, interestingly.

I was logged in on the date of the offense, only to the lobby. I was watching a Mod Mat K Oldschool stream. For those who might not know, he would hop to a random world, and drop some partyhats, and repeat. You could get the world fairly quickly by adding a few of the people you saw on the stream spamming "omfg he's here", and hoping one of them had private on. So I did this for 20-30 minutes, adding a few people, then deleting them soon after. And I realise now this behaviour is very unnatural, and very characteristic of a pm-spamming bot.

Note I didn't pm any of the people I added. Just added, noted the world, deleted them.

Still, perm muted on a 10 year old 2496 clearly non-throwaway account. So here's a warning, although I doubt it'll apply to many as it is such an unnatural behaviour. If it turns out my theory is wrong I'll post back, but it's really all I can think of now.

ilovecuttingyews
[ Display Name History ]

ilovecuttingyews

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,008 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
Oh wow, that really does suck. It is interesting to learn more about Chatwatch though. You could try emailing Jagex and explain to them the situation. A maxed account being muted as a spambot just doesn't sit right.

crazycdcm
[ Display Name History ]

crazycdcm

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 526 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Vodka
I just checked. "Quashed".

I'm impressed with the customer service there, I sent an appeal last night, and within 12 hours it was dealt with. (For the cynics out there, the account is F2P too).

It is definitely interesting learning about the Chatwatch! I was sending real messages to a couple of people at the same time as this add-delete-add-add-add-delete-delete-delete sequence... Bit hair trigger perhaps.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Account Security, Bots, Clan Chronicle, Current Events, Community, Economics, Endgame, Ethics, Fiction, RS Market

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users