Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Jagex's chatwatch program automuting private messages/etc

Account Security Bots Clan Chronicle Current Events Community Economics Endgame Ethics Fiction RS Market

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

Blyaunte
[ Display Name History ]

Blyaunte

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,051 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Blyaunte
The auto-mute system already in effect mutes you if you use “certain phrases” – even if you’re in PM’s, Friends Chat or Clan Chat – and most of those phrases deal with terms relating to real world trading and gambling. In my experience, I’ve found that it’s a “delicate” system, and by that I mean it’s got a “hair trigger”. Any phrase that looks similar to one that’s in the auto-mute data-base sets it off. <_<

nyuseg.png

Ezkaton
[ Display Name History ]

Ezkaton

#1 Bad Maxer

• Members
  • 2,387 posts
  • RSN:Ezkaton
  • Clan:EoE

We’ve added a new feature to the old chat filter, now renamed as the profanity filter. Its default function is still to be turned on to filter out all the words (and URLs) on our blacklist, but we’ve added the option for you to turn the filter off. We recognise that RuneScape has a maturing player base and, as such, wish to give you the freedom to choose for yourselves, while also still keeping the filter for those players who do not wish to see swear words and the like.

So we've gone from a maturing player base back to being an adolescent one with Daddy Jagex having to hold our hands and cover our ears when swear words come back up on the screen?

This is like everything they seem to do now-a-days. Do something good, wait months/years and then renege on their stance and change exactly what they mean. It's just absolutely stupid and pointless.

And what if the chat is like this one (from Tan's Bloggeh <3: )

Lots of cussing... Beware those of sensitive nature etc.

That's just banter and fun... Sure it's offensive to someone outside the clan/old EoE/friends group, or to someone who misconstrues this as an offensive attack on Draz... But why should we be scared of swearing at or with friends? Just turn your filter back on if this is that much of a problem.
  • Mylez , Tansuo and Quest_Cape_K like this

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

Golvellius
[ Display Name History ]

Golvellius

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,685 posts
What exactly are they getting banned for?
Probably, circumventing the filter system so those that have it on still have to suffer the indignity of morons.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Blyaunte
[ Display Name History ]

Blyaunte

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,051 posts
  • RSN:Blyaunte

What exactly are they getting banned for?
Probably, circumventing the filter system so those that have it on still have to suffer the indignity of morons.

As I said – in my experience, it appears that most of the muting results from using terminology and URLS relating to RWT and gambling …

nyuseg.png

Mylez
[ Display Name History ]

Mylez

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,743 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Dyze
I think this is shit.

Especially for friends, clans, groups where NOBODY will be offended by some banter.

I can understand it completely for public chat, however I'm sure the censor is more than adequate.

SwreeTak
[ Display Name History ]

SwreeTak

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,739 posts
  • RSN:SwreeTak
  • Clan:Arcane Chroniclers
I don't really care. There are many stupid things in the world. Just avoid swearing. This is certainly rather stupid, but honestly, compared to many real changed to the game (gameplay) this is nothing.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

LKN
[ Display Name History ]

LKN

Rat Meat

• Junior Crew
  • 47 posts
  • RSN:Leah LKN
I haven't had a problem with it, but I know quite a few people who have - they really need to stop flip-flopping.

L8vABnV.gif

"Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud"

uPMa5XA.gif2OzAFSr.gif

RS Stats

Ginger_Warrior
[ Display Name History ]

Ginger_Warrior

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,044 posts
  • RSN '07:CN G Warrior

That's just banter and fun... Sure it's offensive to someone outside the clan/old EoE/friends group, or to someone who misconstrues this as an offensive attack on Draz... But why should we be scared of swearing at or with friends? Just turn your filter back on if this is that much of a problem.

Is it really ever appropriate to pass off homophobic language as "fun", even with friends? Doesn't that just encourage and reinforce discrimination and oppressive behaviour against homosexuals at a personal level?

I'm not really making a point about Jagex here, I agree that we don't need Jagex to treat us like babies, I'm just querying your definition of the word "fun" and how that represents your clan/friend chat. Let's say that Joe, a gay man, enters your friend chat and sees that "banter"... does it continue to be appropriate then?
  • Saradomin_Mage , firebird308 , nine naked men and 2 others like this

Yoko Kurama
[ Display Name History ]

Yoko Kurama

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,988 posts

Is it really ever appropriate to pass off homophobic language as "fun", even with friends? Doesn't that just encourage and reinforce discrimination and oppressive behaviour against homosexuals at a personal level?

It depends how it's framed. If it's transparently framed as part of a joke and all the parties involved are aware of this and alright with it, then no harm no foul.

I'm not really making a point about Jagex here, I agree that we don't need Jagex to treat us like babies, I'm just querying your definition of the word "fun" and how that represents your clan/friend chat. Let's say that Joe, a gay man, enters your friend chat and sees that "banter"... does it continue to be appropriate then?

It depends. Who is this Joe? Is he a random stranger? If so, then he shouldn't be in my chat. If he's a friend whom I know to be gay, that'd be a consideration before I started making such jokes, yes.

Ginger_Warrior
[ Display Name History ]

Ginger_Warrior

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,044 posts
So you admit that in that situation, he shouldn't choose to be part of your group of friends because he's gay and because he'd take offence at your homophobic sense of humour, but you won't admit that that situation has only come about because of your own personal discrimination. I think you're trying to have your cake and eat it there.

My point is that there are a dozen other ways to achieve the humour that's being attempted in that screenshot, but the choice of a term that is specifically homophobic is an interesting one. Especially when this is subsequently described as simply being "fun".

Alaz
[ Display Name History ]

Alaz

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • RSN:Alaz

I believe it's appropriate on rare occasions - when you know everyone around you is comfortable with the joke and knows that it is a joke, nothing more. I've witness gay individuals make such gestures themselves. There's a difference between being in jest in an appropriate atmosphere and being in jest in a rude and derogatory manner.

That said, even though I agree with you overall, I would say that muting for the behavior isn't going to do the most good - it's only going to serve as a way to enrage players and leave them to find other means to communicate. IRC anyone?

Posted Image

Yoko Kurama
[ Display Name History ]

Yoko Kurama

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,988 posts

So you admit that in that situation, he shouldn't choose to be part of your group of friends because he's gay and because he'd take offence at your homophobic sense of humour, but you won't admit that situation has only come about because of your own personal discrimination. I think you're trying to have your cake and eat it there.

No, the point is that I would only make such jokes in a private place where I knew all the parties involved and where I knew all the parties were alright with such crass humor. If some stranger, Joe, decides to impose himself into an area where he was not invited, then that's his fault, not mine. It's the same principle as keeping a diary where one airs one's thought on various people, only for some of those people to snoop around, read the diary and be upset? Do they have a right to be upset with me? I think not.

My point is that there are a dozen other ways to achieve the humour that's being achieved in that screenshot, but the choice of a term that is specifically homophobic is an interesting one. Especially when this is subsequently described as simply being "fun".

Irish was also mentioned. In any case, yes, sometimes people use such language. People use a lot of crass language, sometimes it happens to be that term. Also, context matters. In most humorous contexts (unlike that one), it's usually clear that people are joking and that it's not some congregation of raving homophobes.

I would not personally do so in a public chat or a large/open friend's chat.

Edited.

Ginger_Warrior
[ Display Name History ]

Ginger_Warrior

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,044 posts
I wasn't really asking you to justify using that language in a private place.

I was saying that the use of such language, whether it's in private or public, as a joke or otherwise, is itself an example of discriminatory behaviour. Once you've established that, it really isn't hard to understand why people outside the group (read: Jagex) might feel that the language is therefore inappropriate, although I agree with Alaz's point that muting people doesn't necessarily solve anything.

Yoko Kurama
[ Display Name History ]

Yoko Kurama

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,988 posts

I wasn't really asking you to justify using that language in a private place.

I was saying that the use of such language, whether it's in private or public, as a joke or otherwise, is itself an example of discriminatory behaviour. Once you've established that, it really isn't hard to understand why people outside the group (read: Jagex) might feel that the language is therefore inappropriate, although I agree with Alaz's point that muting people doesn't necessarily solve anything.

I disagree with regards to it being discriminatory. How I'd conduct myself would be tailored to the current demographic and dynamics of the group. If those dynamics changed, then so would one's behavior. If we had a group without any gays, and someone decided to make such jokes, there'd be no one to be offended. If a gay person entered the group, then such behavior would cease and new boundaries would be established.

Ginger_Warrior
[ Display Name History ]

Ginger_Warrior

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,044 posts
How is it not discriminatory? You're using a term which is discriminatory by definition.

Behaviour doesn't necessarily have to be offensive for it to be discriminatory, it simply has to be targeted against one certain group. The word used in that screenshot is discriminatory without doubt because it specifically targets homosexual men as the butt of the joke.

Quyneax
[ Display Name History ]

Quyneax

Aes Sedai

• Members
  • 11,297 posts
  • RSN:Mierin
Discrimination originally just meant 'seeing/marking/observing a difference between' or something like that. And in that sense, it's fair to realize that gay people are not the same as straight people (well duh). Whatever further prejudices you might have can make that distinction harmful or not. It's perfectly alright to make jokes about gay people, including jokes that wouldn't work with straight people. We make jokes about straight people all the time - get any stand-upper talking about marriage - and if you are too conscious of someone's gayness to make jokes about them, that is discrimination in itself.
Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions
99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)
99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)
99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)
99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)
99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)
Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring
Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace
30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Yoko Kurama
[ Display Name History ]

Yoko Kurama

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,988 posts

How is it not discriminatory? You're using a term which is discriminatory by definition.

Words have different meanings in different contexts.

Behaviour doesn't necessarily have to be offensive for it to be discriminatory, it simply has to be targeted against one certain group. The word used in that screenshot is discriminatory without doubt because it specifically targets homosexual men as the butt of the joke.

I do not think a harmless joke made in private between friends is harmful to, or discriminates against, the interests of gay people. If we're talking in general, that is. If you're talking about the friend's chat screenshot, I'd concede on that, as it is a large community with many people moving in and out of the chat.

Yoko Kurama
[ Display Name History ]

Yoko Kurama

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,988 posts

Discrimination originally just meant 'seeing/marking/observing a difference between' or something like that. And in that sense, it's fair to realize that gay people are not the same as straight people (well duh). Whatever further prejudices you might have can make that distinction harmful or not. It's perfectly alright to make jokes about gay people, including jokes that wouldn't work with straight people. We make jokes about straight people all the time - get any stand-upper talking about marriage - and if you are too conscious of someone's gayness to make jokes about them, that is discrimination in itself.

Not quite. While I have disagreed with Ginger, his argument is predicated on a rather simple and logical point: the historical experiences of gays and straights have been different. You can't just ignore all of that and declare "well, we're all just equal offenders now!" So, no, going to special lengths to spare the feelings (on homosexual jokes) of a gay person would not be discrimination.

crazycdcm
[ Display Name History ]

crazycdcm

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 526 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Vodka

I think there's a difference to be noted here between homophobic language or words, and language, or words, also used by homophobes. The word gay could just as well be classed as homophobic language on this basis, but is gay a homophobic word?

I personally think using "the word in the screen shot" shows a ridicule of the term, and how unimportant and inoffensive the word actually is. (In that private circle of friends, but I'd better be careful lest I end up back on topic..)

Edit @ above

Well I do have to disagree there. True equality is not people [kitty]-footing around the gay populace's feelings, and asking people to treat homosexuals differently like that is only going to further segregate people. Besides, who's going to tell us when we can stop sparing their feelings?

thejollyroger
[ Display Name History ]

thejollyroger

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 144 posts
Sorry to break the flow of your convo, guys... proceed but I'll be on a slightly different tangent.

I'm a parent, and my bet is that militant helicopter-parenting style moms squealed like piggies to Jagex again. Some people have just got to ruin it for others.

I had the swear talk with my daughter-- she chooses not to swear although I wouldn't have a problem with her using certain words as their meaning implies, not gratuitously for interjection's sake... by gratuitously, I mean, uses them like four-color Golden Age comic books uses exclamation points for every sentence without a period in site. Or someone that's like REALLY HAPPY!!!!! on FACEBOOK!!!! Anyways, I know she encounters plenty of words that are considered profane or offensive, and I choose to have her deal with it appropriately instead of trying to shield her. Better, I think, to empower her now than to try to suppress and see some sort of rebellious backlash. (She is fascinated with Runescape and will watch me play, but she's 11 and I'd like her to wait at least until she's 13 before she creates an account, to at least be covered by COPA on principle.)

I have the filter off, personally, but I think the only person it applies for is a player moderator already and he knows I'm not going to have convulsions about a swear word here and there, mostly because I'd be a damned hypocrite if I did (because I use colorful words now and then, too). But, I'm also horridly anti-social and I choose to have most of my Chat filters set to Friends. I'm really not interested in the blather of random players, and I generally don't talk to anyone I haven't been introduced to by someone I know, or isn't part of a community I am currently interacting with.

And if I am to believe the others... I am just generally not interested in talking about RWT or gambling anyways. Doesn't mean I don't have an opinion on RWT, or that I don't play games of chance, but... I don't know. I don't expect that this will effect me but I will be pretty pissed off if it does for some bizarre reason.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Account Security, Bots, Clan Chronicle, Current Events, Community, Economics, Endgame, Ethics, Fiction, RS Market

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users