Jagex's chatwatch program automuting private messages/etc

bw7255

Mod MMG must be reading 1984 right now

Thinkpol awaaaaaay

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Internet rule #51:

"Every vaguely related to censorship must include irrelevant misinterpretations of George Orwell's 1984".

And how about those Nazis?

RIP Dawngate ;-;

What the hell? How are people taking Jagex's side on this?

There's a perfectly good filter system that gives you the choice to block all those meanie bully words you might not like. Are Jagex really assuming with this update that we as players are too stupid to know how to turn it on? Really, what is the point of this update?

Also, why the hell can't we just censor the words and be done with it? You could have a guy dropping the F-bomb every 2 words and so long as its censored **** there's no reason to take any action against him, because no one is hearing the meanie words being said in the first place. Muting him won't make anyone more safe.

Second of all, grow up. They're words. The only reason you find them offensive is because you've determined they're offensive because they're offensive. Stop infecting Runescape with your backwards Victorian-age code of ethics please.

There's just no logic to this update at all, unless Jagex are trying to appear to be a safe little MMO haven for kids with helicopter parents.

• Like 2

Second of all, grow up. They're words. The only reason you find them offensive is because you've determined they're offensive because they're offensive. Stop infecting Runescape with your backwards Victorian-age code of ethics please.

I think you mean modern day, progressive political correctness.

• Like 1

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

I think you mean modern day, progressive political correctness.

Everyone's a victim.

• Like 1

"The only reason you find them offensive is (because you've determined they're offensive) because they're offensive"? Indeed.

Victorian-age code of ethics? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_the_Victorian_era

"During the era symbolized by the reign of British monarch Queen Victoria, women did not have suffrage rights, the right to sue, or the right to own property". Yeah I'd call my code of ethics Victorian-age, that pretty much sums it up..

"The only reason you find them offensive is (because you've determined they're offensive) because they're offensive"? Indeed.

Victorian-age code of ethics? http://en.wikipedia....e_Victorian_era

"During the era symbolized by the reign of British monarch Queen Victoria, women did not have suffrage rights, the right to sue, or the right to own property". Yeah I'd call my code of ethics Victorian-age, that pretty much sums it up..

What? What does this have anything to do with women?

When I said Victorian-age code of ethics I was referring to the absurd age-old idea that we as a society must find certain words offensive and that our children should be kept away from these certain words.

When I said Victorian-age code of ethics I was referring to the absurd age-old idea that we as a society must find certain words offensive and that our children should be kept away from these certain words.

Apologies If I've misinterpreted what you meant, but my interpretation of "Victorian code of ethics" would be the code of ethics used in the Victorian period. As this debate is all about (in my eyes) whether Jagex should be allowed to censor offensive language that isn't necessarily full of swear words, but could be seen as discriminatory in some way, I assumed you were referring to code of ethics in the sense of attitudes towards women/other races/homosexuals etc.

Apologies If I've misunderstood.

In terms of what you meant, I'm not sure society does feel a need to find certain words offensive, it's more that certain words have offensive connotations, hence our children should be kept away from these words, which will eventually lead (in an ideal world) to the words no longer being used.

I agree that swear words actually don't do much harm (besides the n-word), but I do think that keeping racist terms or other discriminatory terms out of the game is probably a good thing.

Apologies If I've misinterpreted what you meant, but my interpretation of "Victorian code of ethics" would be the code of ethics used in the Victorian period. As this debate is all about (in my eyes) whether Jagex should be allowed to censor offensive language that isn't necessarily full of swear words, but could be seen as discriminatory in some way, I assumed you were referring to code of ethics in the sense of attitudes towards women/other races/homosexuals etc.

Apologies If I've misunderstood.

In terms of what you meant, I'm not sure society does feel a need to find certain words offensive, it's more that certain words have offensive connotations, hence our children should be kept away from these words, which will eventually lead (in an ideal world) to the words no longer being used.

I agree that swear words actually don't do much harm (besides the n-word), but I do think that keeping racist terms or other discriminatory terms out of the game is probably a good thing.

No. In an ideal world, there wouldn't be any censorship at all. Forcing the censorship of a word doesn't erase discrimination- its asinine to claim so. Just like how I can say the word "[bleep]" and be perfectly accepting of homosexuals, one can say the 'n' word and have no qualms with the black race. The social sciences tell us that discrimination arises from a poor education, poor parenting, and a poor environment in general, not from saying the 'n' word or the 'f' word or the 'q' word or whatever word must be concocted to describe some group of people. I know this because I've had formal debates over this very subject. It's easy to invent your own psychology and claim the usage of certain words fuel discrimiationatory attitudes- its harder to do the actual research and see that this is a complete lie.

Stop treating the human race like a bunch of primitive apes that have to be duct taped into sumbission by your high-and-mighty political correctness. Censorship never works.

• Like 1

What about people saying "Bleep you Zilyana give me a hilt drop already >.>" (hi Mish)?

Words aren't insulting - even vulgar ones - but virtually anything can be used to insult. It's quite possible that to some people being called a pig or a pancake is really horrible (pancake is based on a real example by the way). You have to separate the grammatical and semantical from the act. For example: just because someone uses certain words in a grammatical question, doesn't mean it's acting a question - 'Could you pass the salt?' is polite, not a request for information.

reminded me of this commercial-

http://youtu.be/9TxVJAkwbqA

• Like 1
I am not a skiller, but i do some skills.

rcwar1st.gifconwar3rd.gifwcdec2nd.gifskillwar2nd.gif

Spring2008slaycompsig.png

Why do people think cursing has anything to do with this? You have to really hardcore flame someone to get automuted. You won't get muted for calling someone a gay slur or something. It's not extreme censorship. If you're concerned about this affecting your rights, you're probably a vulgar jerk who could probably do with a mute (this is coming someone who says [bleep] every other sentence).

No. In an ideal world, there wouldn't be any censorship at all. Forcing the censorship of a word doesn't erase discrimination- its asinine to claim so. Just like how I can say the word "[bleep]" and be perfectly accepting of homosexuals, one can say the 'n' word and have no qualms with the black race. The social sciences tell us that discrimination arises from a poor education, poor parenting, and a poor environment in general, not from saying the 'n' word or the 'f' word or the 'q' word or whatever word must be concocted to describe some group of people. I know this because I've had formal debates over this very subject. It's easy to invent your own psychology and claim the usage of certain words fuel discrimiationatory attitudes- its harder to do the actual research and see that this is a complete lie.

Stop treating the human race like a bunch of primitive apes that have to be duct taped into sumbission by your high-and-mighty political correctness. Censorship never works.

could you maybe show some of this research or anything. i'd say that failing to make examples of those who use derogatory slurs like that directly contributes to the normalisation of sexism, racism, etc. the fact that people have become more confident in calling shit like this out these days is great, and if jagex actually has instituted a flagging system for people who use the word [racist term] and [bleep] and whatever, that's rad as heck.

• Like 1

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

That we're actually arguing over this is the saddest part of all

RIP Dawngate ;-;

That we're actually arguing over this is the saddest part of all

This is actually better than the stuff we usually argue about in here.

For a second, you made me think we were in Off-Topic

Don't scare me like that

• Like 1

RIP Dawngate ;-;

i'd say that failing to make examples of those who use derogatory slurs like that directly contributes to the normalisation of sexism, racism, etc.

There. Right there. You're doing the same thing as everyone else in this thread. You're using quack psychology. You've made a claim, now back it up. Just because you've been taught all your life that saying the 'n' word somehow encourages racism doesn't make it true.

I'm not showing my proof until your group shows yours. You made the claim first.

A note: some of my sources are from scholarly databases with paid subscriptions. I won't be able to show all of them unless you are subscribed to the same service.