Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Jagex's chatwatch program automuting private messages/etc

Account Security Bots Clan Chronicle Current Events Community Economics Endgame Ethics Fiction RS Market

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

Quyneax
[ Display Name History ]

Quyneax

Aes Sedai

• Members
  • 11,297 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Mierin
They could make the chat filter customizable - give everybody the ability to block certain words.
Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions
99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)
99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)
99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)
99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)
99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)
Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring
Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace
30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Hedgehog
[ Display Name History ]

Hedgehog

???

• Monster Hunting Team Leader
  • 7,787 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired

They could make the chat filter customizable - give everybody the ability to block certain words.

That would defeat the entire purpose of the program

muggiwhplar
[ Display Name History ]

muggiwhplar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 7,998 posts

Is that necessarily a bad thing?

77yLQy8.png

Hedgehog
[ Display Name History ]

Hedgehog

???

• 7,787 posts
Well, considering that the program does something good, yes.

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,444 posts

Considering the average runescape player is now 18+ are you sure?

Ginger_Warrior
[ Display Name History ]

Ginger_Warrior

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,044 posts
  • RSN '07:CN G Warrior

Source needed and, why does it even matter so long as minors are playing the game?

Hedgehog
[ Display Name History ]

Hedgehog

???

• 7,787 posts
Well I mean

A program that doesn't get in the way of normal conversation

And prevents gold selling messages

And prevents serious flaming

Sounds pretty good

Nexaduro
[ Display Name History ]

Nexaduro

A Fool On The Hill.

• Members
  • 2,437 posts
  • RSN:NexaduroIV
  • Clan:The Honorable Tavern-that-was
The solution is simple;

Everyone just stops playing Runescape

Then we won't be able to hear naughty words by that particular medium

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Quyneax
[ Display Name History ]

Quyneax

Aes Sedai

• Members
  • 11,297 posts
  • RSN:Mierin

No? Everybody who cares can block the words they don't want to hear, and everyone who doesn't care can leave them visible. You start with a default option which is the current censor, so it doesn't even require any work for many people.

Of course the censor that mutes/bans people should be separate from the censor that stars words. If you give people that ability (to censor what they see), you don't need to have this automute for vulgarity.
Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions
99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)
99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)
99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)
99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)
99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)
Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring
Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace
30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

thejollyroger
[ Display Name History ]

thejollyroger

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 144 posts

Of course the censor that mutes/bans people should be separate from the censor that stars words. If you give people that ability (to censor what they see), you don't need to have this automute for vulgarity.

^This, that is, I would that Jagex kept separate filters. They already do, or did have a separate filter for usernames that was stronger than the chat one.

The basic chat filter as I've seen it is pretty limited. It seems to be based on string values, i.e. it parses for strings of letters. I found that very frustrating if I happened to use a certain letter combination that Jagex was filtering. It'd be within perfectly clean and legitimate words, but because that letter combination came up, the filter would engage.

So understand, I'm concerned about Jagex's track record on the filter. I really do think that swearing and such should be left to the community to regulate as they desire-- I know some fc/cc's already do.

Hedgehog
[ Display Name History ]

Hedgehog

???

• 7,787 posts

No? Everybody who cares can block the words they don't want to hear, and everyone who doesn't care can leave them visible. You start with a default option which is the current censor, so it doesn't even require any work for many people.

So, I should block every variation of the hundreds of phrases that gold sellers use and I should block every way that someone could seriously flame me?

X3EN
[ Display Name History ]

X3EN

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 556 posts
  • RSN:oO000oO0oO00
If they waged an active campaign against obscenities, they should have removed the profanity filter toggle. But then again, recent updates (incl hidden) are done to demonstrate how lost jagex is. I wonder how many design, dev and qa employees actually know that there is a profanity filter toggle in runescape. The number probably converges to 0.

Also, I do not see how automated muting helps against buy cheap rs gold guaranteed rs gold delivery cheap rs gold 20m just $1 buy rs gold instant delivery rs walmart buy now cheaprsgold com you should buy rs gold now guaranteed delivery [...].
From my research, all these spambots do is create many accounts, log in with one, auto-send roughly 100 messages at once, log off and never log back in with (continue with the next in pool). Neither muting nor banning is going to solve this problem and that is so obvious. But still, some people insist on working on features that do not work today and definitely will not start working in the future.

As I said,
get cheap rs gold right now, rs wal mart . com perhaps you also want wow gold, l2 adena guaranteed instant delivery!

savormix.gif
R.I.P. oO000oO0oO00, RS2 range pure transformed to a maxed PvM char in EoC, ten years of time completely wasted.
Good to be gone :)

Grand Lord Dan
[ Display Name History ]

Grand Lord Dan

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • RSN:DJ Dan-3

If they waged an active campaign against obscenities, they should have removed the profanity filter toggle. But then again, recent updates (incl hidden) are done to demonstrate how lost jagex is. I wonder how many design, dev and qa employees actually know that there is a profanity filter toggle in runescape. The number probably converges to 0.

Also, I do not see how automated muting helps against buy cheap rs gold guaranteed rs gold delivery cheap rs gold 20m just $1 buy rs gold instant delivery rs walmart buy now cheaprsgold com you should buy rs gold now guaranteed delivery [...].
From my research, all these spambots do is create many accounts, log in with one, auto-send roughly 100 messages at once, log off and never log back in with (continue with the next in pool). Neither muting nor banning is going to solve this problem and that is so obvious. But still, some people insist on working on features that do not work today and definitely will not start working in the future.

As I said,
get cheap rs gold right now, rs wal mart . com perhaps you also want wow gold, l2 adena guaranteed instant delivery!

You have been muted for 24 hours under promises to sell Runescape Gold. Please contact customer support if you wish to dispute this.
How many hotdogs does it take to mow a garage door?

V O R K
[ Display Name History ]

V O R K

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,215 posts

Source needed and, why does it even matter so long as minors are playing the game?

Posted Image

Not too long ago I was prancing around in a zamorak outfit and saw a saradominist with a few of his friends at the GE. Jokingly I preach my book and before I know it I get a whole slew of curses thrown at me and that I shouldn't take this game so serious, he keeps ranting and ranting untill his brother returns which immediately takes action and starts apologizing to me and tells me he's a minor.

Moral of the story: kids are even worse and hiding and censoring doesn't change a thing. It's the attitude of the player, not a game filter.

I have fond memories of the wilderness fak u ghey nub u bser

so easy to get around filters.
Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif
✿ ♥‿♥)

Noxx
[ Display Name History ]

Noxx

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,948 posts
  • RSN:Nox
Jagex has now become fully Americanized. "We want to watch EVERYTHING you say or do."

Ginger_Warrior
[ Display Name History ]

Ginger_Warrior

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,044 posts

Posted Image

Not too long ago I was prancing around in a zamorak outfit and saw a saradominist with a few of his friends at the GE. Jokingly I preach my book and before I know it I get a whole slew of curses thrown at me and that I shouldn't take this game so serious, he keeps ranting and ranting untill his brother returns which immediately takes action and starts apologizing to me and tells me he's a minor.

Moral of the story: kids are even worse and hiding and censoring doesn't change a thing. It's the attitude of the player, not a game filter.

I have fond memories of the wilderness fak u ghey nub u bser

so easy to get around filters.

I don't see how that's at all relevant.

The counter argument to just about every thread on "policing" the Internet is that parents should be taking more responsibility for supervising what their children do or see on the Internet. Please, don't get me wrong; I fully agree with that argument. However, by removing the censor, you remove one of the precious few tools they could use to fulfill that role.

Which way do you want your toast buttered: do you want more hopelessly flawed attempts at Internet policing, or more measures which operate on a personal level like in-game chat filters?
  • Alg likes this

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,444 posts
I can answer this for you ginger. Whether or not these policing tools are needed to better protect "the children", I dont know. What I do know is that this update is not something I am willing to put up with in a game.

Ginger_Warrior
[ Display Name History ]

Ginger_Warrior

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,044 posts
You and I both know that's a meaningless threat.

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,444 posts
Well I am already unsubbed and if i started again it would be exclusively for 07scape anyways. Updates like this really do make me lean towards not joining up again.

Would I quit over this otherwise? Probably not, unless maybe I got permamuted.

Viv
[ Display Name History ]

Viv

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,804 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
I Got muted lol, and now I remember what it was for.
They should just leave it up to reports and stay the heck out of private chats.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Account Security, Bots, Clan Chronicle, Current Events, Community, Economics, Endgame, Ethics, Fiction, RS Market

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users