Jagex's chatwatch program automuting private messages/etc

bw7255

Slightly necro'ing this thread with a bit of interesting information.

I've just found out that I received a pemanent mute for website advertising, with no evidence as it's classed as macroing. I racked my brain to thing what I could have said, and drew a blank. Then it struck me that the mute actually didn't come from pming anything, interestingly.

I was logged in on the date of the offense, only to the lobby. I was watching a Mod Mat K Oldschool stream. For those who might not know, he would hop to a random world, and drop some partyhats, and repeat. You could get the world fairly quickly by adding a few of the people you saw on the stream spamming "omfg he's here", and hoping one of them had private on. So I did this for 20-30 minutes, adding a few people, then deleting them soon after. And I realise now this behaviour is very unnatural, and very characteristic of a pm-spamming bot.

Note I didn't pm any of the people I added. Just added, noted the world, deleted them.

Still, perm muted on a 10 year old 2496 clearly non-throwaway account. So here's a warning, although I doubt it'll apply to many as it is such an unnatural behaviour. If it turns out my theory is wrong I'll post back, but it's really all I can think of now.

LgEZt.png

I just checked. "Quashed".

I'm impressed with the customer service there, I sent an appeal last night, and within 12 hours it was dealt with. (For the cynics out there, the account is F2P too).

It is definitely interesting learning about the Chatwatch! I was sending real messages to a couple of people at the same time as this add-delete-add-add-add-delete-delete-delete sequence... Bit hair trigger perhaps.

LgEZt.png