Due to the significant updates that have taken place, you now need to login with your display name or e-mail address, NOT your login name. ×
Due to posts that are 5+ years old being rebuilt, some of the older BBCodes may not have converted properly but still be in the post. Most posts are unaffected but some using what was our custom BBCode (like [spoiler]) will be a bit broken. ×

Why do they even TRY to do anything in private messages? That's a private business otherwise they shouldn't call it "private".

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

It absolutely does matter, because you are trying to fix a new definition on an old world while at the same time acting all surprised and offended that people might find your choice of base word offensive

What? I'm not acting surprised. You really are not listening to what I am saying.

It doesn't "not matter" just because you say it doesn't. Also, I didn't say blanket couldn't be offensive, I said that this circle you talk about never chooses that word. They choose the one that disparages homosexuals, or the one that disparages [insert minority]. It is never an innocuous word turned offensive, it is always a racist/hateful word turned into another hateful word. And you are telling everyone to use it, because you say "no you aren't allowed to be offended because this is our definition and if you don't accept that you are incorrect."

Sometimes they could. Many people in my "circle" use the word "pooplord." I thought I made it quite clear, or at least implied, that I do not find saying these things okay in public chat, only in your circle. Also, you are generalizing, somewhat like these "hateful people" you so clearly dislike.

George Carlin said it best: "A lot of people will say that a word's meaning changes because a lot of people are using it that way. Yea well I say a lot of people are really [bleep]ing stupid."

Why would you quote an ad hominem? Do you really think that helps your case in any way? If so, I'm sorry to inform you that it does the opposite. I doubt this "George Carlin" fellow had any real idea what he was talking about, and hope that he was not trying to be taken seriously.

It's hard to use a clan chat when you're muted/banned from the game.

Yes, that is one of the reasons why this is bad. You might be catching on.

Not even close to "tons and tons." The number of people who would quit because Jagex won't allow them to use racist/homophobic phrases in any context or definition on their servers is slim, and frankly their departure will do nothing but good for the community.

I think I'm done here. You have proven that you will not be moved by any of my reasoning no matter what, as evidence by your still prevalent insinuation that certain words are offensive and racist/homophobic no matter what despite the fact that I already disproved this. People who use words that you don't like away from the public do not contribute badly to the community, by the way.

Why do they even TRY to do anything in private messages? That's a private business otherwise they shouldn't call it "private".

I keep my private chat open for a number of reasons and I can tell you that I've been called all sorts of nasty things by random people via PM. It could be called 'direct chat' in the sense that it's not always private conversations between friends.

I keep my private chat open for a number of reasons and I can tell you that I've been called all sorts of nasty things by random people via PM. It could be called 'direct chat' in the sense that it's not always private conversations between friends.

That is your problem, and you can easily fix it by either setting it to friends or adding the offenders to a blacklist. Really do we have to adapt the rules to a select few who have bad experiences? That is like how the US attacks each country for a select few terrorists. The worst thing one can do.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Slightly necro'ing this thread with a bit of interesting information.

I've just found out that I received a pemanent mute for website advertising, with no evidence as it's classed as macroing. I racked my brain to thing what I could have said, and drew a blank. Then it struck me that the mute actually didn't come from pming anything, interestingly.

I was logged in on the date of the offense, only to the lobby. I was watching a Mod Mat K Oldschool stream. For those who might not know, he would hop to a random world, and drop some partyhats, and repeat. You could get the world fairly quickly by adding a few of the people you saw on the stream spamming "omfg he's here", and hoping one of them had private on. So I did this for 20-30 minutes, adding a few people, then deleting them soon after. And I realise now this behaviour is very unnatural, and very characteristic of a pm-spamming bot.

Note I didn't pm any of the people I added. Just added, noted the world, deleted them.

Still, perm muted on a 10 year old 2496 clearly non-throwaway account. So here's a warning, although I doubt it'll apply to many as it is such an unnatural behaviour. If it turns out my theory is wrong I'll post back, but it's really all I can think of now.

LgEZt.png

Oh wow, that really does suck. It is interesting to learn more about Chatwatch though. You could try emailing Jagex and explain to them the situation. A maxed account being muted as a spambot just doesn't sit right.

• Like 1

I just checked. "Quashed".

I'm impressed with the customer service there, I sent an appeal last night, and within 12 hours it was dealt with. (For the cynics out there, the account is F2P too).

It is definitely interesting learning about the Chatwatch! I was sending real messages to a couple of people at the same time as this add-delete-add-add-add-delete-delete-delete sequence... Bit hair trigger perhaps.

LgEZt.png