Sign in to follow this  
Swing Doom

Skills Pointless?

They could add abilities to various skills which require skill level in one skill but benefit another.

Great example being Agility + Thieving: reaching a certain Agility level increases your chances of getting double/triple/quadruple pickpockets from certain NPCs.

And having a certain Agility + Strength level allowing you to barehand fish (Granted, that feature is pretty much useless since the toolbelt update.)

They would really need to interlock the skills themselves. Making one help out the other and vice-versa. The issue is they keep making things easier as well. Example: At one point there was no such thing as the toolbelt, you had to carry your tools in your inventory making things harder. Then, they add in the toolbelt, but you can't put in anything higher than Bronze into it. Now, you can put whatever you want into it, and even if you don't have the level for it, it acts as the highest level hatchet/pickaxe you can use at that time. I honestly think that's a load of crap. They're making the game easier, and screwing it over by also making the skills themselves pointless and useless.

Personally, I'm a skiller and I love skilling even if its easier to buy the materials. That can't be said for everyone though, and there are quite a few issues that would have to be fixed to get skills back on track.

ICcxxay.png

All skills are useful while dungeoneering

Tg_Ibe.png

Summoning was the only skill with a decent reward at 99. Then Jagex did what Jagex does. Nerf something into complete uselessness rather than rebalancing it correctly.

There is no point in getting any skill to 99 in EoC, even the combat ones - you can quite happily duo Nex with level 80 stats (that's with my rather shoddy Nex skills - people actually good at it could do it with far lower I'm sure).

The only reason to get 99 in a skill to me is to complete the 'unlockable' phase of skilling. I enjoy skilling so it wasn't an issue for me anyway. I train every skill for at least a million or two xp every few months, so maxing was inevitable.

Asmodean <3

Somewhere in the recent past... Probably around herblore habitats release - jagex stated they wanted to make skills matter and play a more significant roll (in the PVM context I believe). They didn't want people to feel that a truly maxed combat player was someone with 99 attack, strength, defense, constitution, ranged, magic, prayer, summoning and herblore. They wanted things like hunter, smithing, etc. to matter. I suppose try slightly accomplished a bit with ports and creating superior armor sets.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

If that were true, then they would not have tried to go out of their way to actually and artificially increase the life time of Nex gear sets, and would have make PoP armor/scrimshaws more useful.

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

They also have to battle against the whole "you need EVERYTHING to compete" issue though...

As for the slot idea, yea it is very similar to how slots work in Diablo 2. But it doesn't have to be identical. It would just be a great way to enable customization amnd minor bonuses like poison, and oddball stat bonuses. Plus it would alloww them to remove the stupid hybrid etc stuff, and add more value drops via gemstones and other items that give bonuses.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

One of rs's problems is the pure volume of items each individual has to produce to level up with very few ways of those items leaving the game. Item sinks would help increase the viability of skilling immensely. Something along the lines of for divination, make it so the maximum xp you can get its 20k/hour, then say it is tied to the gods and your collecting for your "team" you could go to an emissionary and he would have tasks for raw items IE) 1k coal that would give you a 15% boost to skilling xp for divination for 2 hours or something. They would just have to make virtually any item usable for exchange and not over inflate the rewards. IE Bring in a piece of torva armor doesn't give 10,000% increase for 5 hours or something. Jagex's problem is giving up way to much for so little.

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

But they also need to make it scale so that expensive-ish junk items which are floored at alch prices are also worth giving up.. I think that idea could work well..

Serena_Sedai.png

But they also need to make it scale so that expensive-ish junk items which are floored at alch prices are also worth giving up.. I think that idea could work well..

in reference to things like whips? IE trade in 10 whips for 50% for 1 hour. Or something, the thing I think is fun is you could make it scalable, where you can get 50% for 10 minutes or 10% for 40 minutes or something so you can please multiple types of players.

Archermanme.png

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

in reference to things like whips? IE trade in 10 whips for 50% for 1 hour. Or something, the thing I think is fun is you could make it scalable, where you can get 50% for 10 minutes or 10% for 40 minutes or something so you can please multiple types of players.

Yes. It would work well too if it picked items based on your levels, and it wasn't easy to cycle through ones you couldn't or didn't want to do (some option but make it not trivial). Basically attempting to prevent the case of only a few items being used in the sink process, and therefor not providing a general sink. (See Moblising armies for many reasons why an item sink failed.)

Serena_Sedai.png

Yes. It would work well too if it picked items based on your levels, and it wasn't easy to cycle through ones you couldn't or didn't want to do (some option but make it not trivial). Basically attempting to prevent the case of only a few items being used in the sink process, and therefor not providing a general sink. (See Moblising armies for many reasons why an item sink failed.)

See letting people pick only a few items only works for a while because as supply goes down price goes up and people would naturally switch to another item. Mobilising armies failed because it isn't nessisary that why I suggested capping the max xp/hr at 20k, some people might do it, but the majority of players will pay items for an xp buff. And before anyone says rich get to do better you can limit that, and it helps with wealth redistribution and removing items.

Archermanme.png

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

All skills are useful while dungeoneering

yeah, basically as keys that the game arbitrarily determines that you may or may not need at the start of every floor, and if it's a door you can't open because you're not maxed it'll just pick a skill you don't have the level to do

they're about as relevant as saying "you need a hand with fingers to open this door" and "you need a third arm what's that you don't have a third arm then too bad"

• Like 2

8f14270694.jpg

Haha, there's my chortle of the day, right there ^

On this forums many people have claimed that skillcapes broke the game. What you bring forward here is simply why they claim so. People want xp, not the items themself that are a result of the xp. At least for many of the skills this is true. Xp therefore gets more valuable. This change really started with the introduction of skill capes, even though I believe that it had already started a bit. Without skill capes we would still be in the same situation today though, I believe. The competition for xp would certainly have grown stronger over time anyway.

Yeah, he hit this on the head. Although when more and more people get high level you do see it, when the capes first came out there was a tremendous spike in those skill grinding. COming back now and just taking a look around it's sort of insane how different skilling, and the goals of skilling are today than they were back in 2010.

Thoroughly retired, may still write now and again

I'm a little on the fence. I think that getting to 99 is more or less all about the cape, but I don't think most skills are pointless.

I like skills because I can craft/smith/fletch things for free, even for profit. OP says that they'd buy essence, but if you mine it yourself, then it's all free.

That's at least my reasoning. I'm not a big person on earning money as an objective, nor buying all my runes and armor and weaps. I like being able to make my own things for a lot cheaper, even if it takes a long time.

• Like 1

At the very end game skilling for money does become somewhat pointless. Though from a Completionists point of view they are still valued, but at a very limited setting. Players like me want to max out their gear and what not. After that my goal would be to get a substantial amount of PVM supplies banked for the next challenge. So with that said I would be inclined to fish Motown rocktails, farm by own torstols and respective herbs, etc. the absolute end game to me is preparation for the road ahead so I make off with a good start.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Without going through all 4 pages of threads..... I will just say its a game...... The value of what you do while in it is totally up to you. At the end of the day it is only pixels....there really is no point to the entirety of it other than your own personal enjoyment :)

peever142.png

I actually disagree with you in the the whole point of why players train skills in end game. While it does boil down to personal enjoyment there is more to it.

I would like to stray a bit from the point of conversation and bring up the new skill again. In past conversations with mod mark about the early development of divination, or at least highly speculated as divination, we were told we would be collecting for divination via other skilling actions. I have been wondering if divination might be like strange rocks. We could randomly gather some 'farming' godly energy. Maybe our faction that we aid will allow us higher grade perks depending on how much 'farming' godly energy we collect. Suppose through our farming runs we randomly collect a unit of energy per 1k farming xp. In turn this energy can be used something like dungeoneering tokens. Suppose that this energy could be bound into auras, trinkets, gear modifications?

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I actually disagree with you in the the whole point of why players train skills in end game. While it does boil down to personal enjoyment there is more to it.

I would like to stray a bit from the point of conversation and bring up the new skill again. In past conversations with mod mark about the early development of divination, or at least highly speculated as divination, we were told we would be collecting for divination via other skilling actions. I have been wondering if divination might be like strange rocks. We could randomly gather some 'farming' godly energy. Maybe our faction that we aid will allow us higher grade perks depending on how much 'farming' godly energy we collect. Suppose through our farming runs we randomly collect a unit of energy per 1k farming xp. In turn this energy can be used something like dungeoneering tokens. Suppose that this energy could be bound into auras, trinkets, gear modifications?

I look forward to Divination as a whole because of what has been mentioned before in this thread, better interlocking of skills. My whole view on skilling is different in most is that I love doing it, even the crappy skill I hate. I'd rather do them over boss hunting. But I won't lie and say it doesn't feel "Who has grinded the best" contest with skill cape. There are plenty of thing in runescape that made skilling more useful, and things that can be done already pointed out.That's why I like your suggestion as to what this new skill could be.

As for me I just enjoying skilling to skill. I do want certain cape because I like to fashionscape but if I wanted a cape for the sake of a cape, I'd have 99 herblore already. Mining and smithing have always held a soft spot in my heart, and despite the difficulties I have with dungeoneering with randoms I've always enjoyed Dungeoneering. I just hate doing it alone or with random people. I enjoy it much more with friend or even people in the HYT FC. That said, the meaning of the capes are different. The Mining/Smithing capes are the first ones I am going for because they express the skills I love most. I want 99 or even 120 cape the express the joy I had getting there with these crazy people. I got a quest cape because I like quest and the lore about RS. Yet a Quest Point Cape and skill cape are viewed total different. You don't need a quest cape to unlock all RS has to offer yet, people, while they might not say it in game will awe at the amount of effort you put into getting it. A good chuck of my non HYT peeps on my FL are boss hunters, yet they tell me all the time how they wish they had a quest cape. To them, a quest cape is what what skill were once was, a show a dedication to a specific goal that unlocked plenty of use. I don't think they'll see my Mining or Smithing skill cape the same way, more or less because it has been reduced to a who has the biggest D measuring contest.

• Like 1

29386_s.gif

"Goals dont have a deadline." -xxxgod quoting Lady Shahdie

[slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]

Dunno when the last time was when i went like "dam no bow im gonna finally use my 99 fletching and make me a bow! Yeaa ill be pimping!" dun recall that moment at all

Iyaari.png

comp-regular.png