Killing iron dragons with magic

cocacolabottle

I just got an Iron Dragon assignment and was wonderning how I should go about doing it using magic. I've been playing since '04 and remember doing it back then by just using a staff and a shield and holding some distance, but now it seems staffs have become two-handed AND you can't use magic anymore without them? Is there anyway I can wield my antifire shield and still use magic? If not, what's the best way of killing them?

99 Slayer since August 2007.

I just got an Iron Dragon assignment and was wonderning how I should go about doing it using magic. I've been playing since '04 and remember doing it back then by just using a staff and a shield and holding some distance, but now it seems staffs have become two-handed AND you can't use magic anymore without them? Is there anyway I can wield my antifire shield and still use magic? If not, what's the best way of killing them?

A few options: If you have super-antifires you can use the 2h staffs for magic. Otherwise you can use a wand, Virtus Wand being the best currently(until this weeks update at least).

I think the weakness of Iron Dragons though is bolts, so if you wanted to range them that would be an option as well. They attack with magic now so the ranged gear would add extra defence if that's important to you.

maraxussig4.png

A few options: If you have super-antifires you can use the 2h staffs for magic. Otherwise you can use a wand, Virtus Wand being the best currently(until this weeks update at least).

I think the weakness of Iron Dragons though is bolts, so if you wanted to range them that would be an option as well. They attack with magic now so the ranged gear would add extra defence if that's important to you.

Iron dragons are weak to water spells. Wands are the 1 handed option now. If you want to use one, I'm not sure if grifolic is accurate enough, you might want to look at wand of treachery. Also, you will lose a small chunk of accuracy with an antifire shield, since it's melee based.

If you don't have super antifires, advice is to either get them or you just use a staff and normal antifire, standing in melee distance with protect from magic on. Before the accuracy updates, this was far superior to using a low level wand. Now that stats increase accuracy, I'm not sure if there is a clear winner.

Also, you will lose a small chunk of accuracy with an antifire shield, since it's melee based

Not any more, there's a DFS for each combat style now, so get one for Magic. I think they're about 1.2m atm.