03-Jul-2013 - Vorago: High-Level Boss Fight

Vorago's trump card :P

Well he is the living embodiment of the world right? So DC'ing everyone is kind of like his equivalent of being a telenoob?

So glad to see that Chris L used the pushed back date to iron out all those engine problems etc that he mentioned yesterday...

What do you think the engine is?

Anyone able to confirm what the trimmed requirement is?

Personally poke his eye out..-.-.

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

which simply makes them useless where they matter most; so why bother putting them into the game at all?

There are two tropes for that, because it just wouldn't be gaming without abilities and items that work everywhere except when you'd actually want to use them.

#1 completely accurate. But you have to keep in mind that giving players free 100% damage reduction is extremely powerful and not compatible with making hard bosses that require you to do something to avoid damage. These abilities *are* still useful and balanced in PvP and other parts of the game that are not balanced around huge hits from boss monsters.

#2 has nothing to do with this. The defensive abilities are very accessible, which is the whole point. You can use them so often, that it would negate a huge portion of the damage you receive, and make it mandatory to use these abilities on the same boss attacks every time (thus killing variety in ability usage which was mentioned earlier)

I just wish there'd be some way to tell what attacks the abilities work on, and what they don't. It seems terribly inconsistent and requires you to look up everything on wikis.

which simply makes them useless where they matter most; so why bother putting them into the game at all?

There are two tropes for that, because it just wouldn't be gaming without abilities and items that work everywhere except when you'd actually want to use them.

#1 completely accurate. But you have to keep in mind that giving players free 100% damage reduction is extremely powerful and not compatible with making hard bosses that require you to do something to avoid damage. These abilities *are* still useful and balanced in PvP and other parts of the game that are not balanced around huge hits from boss monsters.

#2 has nothing to do with this. The defensive abilities are very accessible, which is the whole point. You can use them so often, that it would negate a huge portion of the damage you receive, and make it mandatory to use these abilities on the same boss attacks every time (thus killing variety in ability usage which was mentioned earlier)

I just wish there'd be some way to tell what attacks the abilities work on, and what they don't. It seems terribly inconsistent and requires you to look up everything on wikis.

Dpsing the entire kill with the same ability rotation has about as much variety as using defensive abilities on every 1hko attack.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

They really should have traits which are consistent, for both boss attacks and items, with little highlights that show what ignores what.

It'd be cool if we could like have a "debug" like window that pops up and shows us what effects an attack has like "ignores prayer, ignores xyz ability etc".

The problem is that having all these conditions all the time is really annoying, especially when we can't actually tell without just "knowing"

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Its funny that people think this kind of ability is over powered, it functions just fine in WoW and other mmos, with a long enough cool down 120 second+ there is nothing wrong with getting a free pass every now and then. It becomes skill to choose when to use it. The main thing rs is missing in terms of boss fights is the fact that the "team work" required still only effects the individual player, aside from the concept of provoking off. All the abilities you can only use on yourself. Something like an ability that procs and aura that provides momentary dmg reduction or increase healing from food increases the team dynamic tenfold, you need to know when people are using what and were you are in relation to them. Till player/player interaction with abilities comes in they won't have a good "boss" mechanic to use.

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

Still curious at what the magic damage cap raising has done.

Does this mean virtus wand/book barrage in abyss exp per hr has greatly increased since damage comes from spell, not weapon?

119 is up and down more than a yoyo.

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

Just tested mage @ abyss, and im now getting around 150-200k less exp per hr even with the "damage cap increase".

Guess the AoE change really severely nerfed things, wonder if it's even viable for slayer much anymore to mage instead of melee

Well, now I'm glad I haven't been able to log on for this...

• Like 1

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

Tried to Vorago with an all pro team. Got to first phase. Died. Looted grave. Dc. Good fight. I am not trying this guy anymore today. I am lucky not to have lost several hundreds of millions like some other guys did (didn't get back to grave). And now the worlds are just crazy.

If you didn't get my message yet; Don't try Vorago until like at least tomorrow. This will take Jagex a while to fix.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Just tested mage @ abyss, and im now getting around 150-200k less exp per hr even with the "damage cap increase".

Guess the AoE change really severely nerfed things, wonder if it's even viable for slayer much anymore to mage instead of melee

I noticed a difference with wand + book doing slayer. Chaotic staff is much better now with abilities.

Low_C.png

What he meant to say is 'defensive abilities were designed to be used on normal monsters'.

Defence is never used for normal monsters. If you think defence is for normal monsters, you need to review your setups.

But yeah Alg (TVT) nailed it. It's a real shame virtually every single special power in RS is of that type. Stuns, poison, stat drain, spirit shields, damage reduction abilities, percent damage attacks (these got removed because they sucked on regular monsters and capped on bosses), anti-stun abilities (there aren't enough, and KK green attack even disables them), Disrupt Shield (doesn't work when maging, ironically), reflect damage - all of these are really really awesome, but sadly PvP only because bosses have to stay boring.

When bosses use things that we also use, they still cheat - KQ and TD protect prayers are 100% (and KQ was even weirder before that) and they don't have to restore prayer, and Nex doesn't have to restore prayer either, plus that she reflects much more than we do with deflects.

I also asked Chaose why they aren't designing bosses using 'real' abilities and he said something like 'we just released a boss, give us a break'. He seemed to think that defensive abilities are useful enough even though they don't work on specials. I feel that defensive abilities ought to be useful, and that bosses are powerful despite them, but ok.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Lost 2 chaotics and like 15m. Nothing compared to what other people lost, but still makes me mad as hell.

Ouch. This is exactly the kind of thing why I avoid PVM like the plague right after updates.

• Like 4

From a risk vs reward standpoint, it makes sense to kill on the first day. If it were possible to kill it, I would probably have a 1b bank after killing it for 30 hours like I planned.

Lost 2 chaotics and like 15m. Nothing compared to what other people lost, but still makes me mad as hell.

Ouch. This is exactly the kind of thing why I avoid PVM like the plague right after updates.

This would be the positive side of not liking boss hunting...you quit while you are ahead. I feel bad for everyone else thou

29386_s.gif

"Goals dont have a deadline." -xxxgod quoting Lady Shahdie

[slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]

From a risk vs reward standpoint, it makes sense to kill on the first day. If it were possible to kill it, I would probably have a 1b bank after killing it for 30 hours like I planned.

True, but this kind of shit can happen regardless of if there is a shiny new drop in the update.

Typical Jagex... "OH MAN new, challenging boss that people really want us to release! Well why waste time actually testing it, LET'S ROLL IT OUT!"

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!