22-Jul-2013 - RuneScape 3!

SwreeTak

I'm still trying to figure out how this impacts those of us on Linux. HikariKnight has his work cut out for him, I think, and I'm guessing many of us may just stick with Java via the client port, because browser-plugins are generally gone for us.

As stated above RuneScape 3 should run perfect on Linux if you are using Google Chrome, and If I remember correctly I think one of the developers of Jagex stated It should work on the Linux Operating System.

What I'm curious with is if we are actually dropping the 3 once this is live or is it going to be Runescape 3 forever?

The later would certain confuse outsiders since there is no visible Runescape 2 and it is unclear in that context what Classic is.

I personally believe the three should remain visible within the name of RuneScape 3 as it's the next generation of the game, and the opening of the sixth age. I understand where you are coming from, but I think they plan on keeping it as RuneScape 3.

wonder if the servers can handle it....

With any release as big as RuneScape 3 there will be bugs, issues, and mishaps at first, but that will come with any game being released no matter how long you work on it. I'm sure after a little bit of tweaks, bug fixes, and beta testing things will sort its self out; I'm sure the servers can handle the release of RuneScape 3, but of course there's going to be problems at first.

a0axl4.jpg

RuneScape Name: SgtAzazel

Current Skills Mastered: Attack, Defense, Strength, Constitution, and Woodcutting.

Current Goals: Range 80/99

Follow My Twitter

@SgtAzazel_RS

As I stated above there's always going to be issues in games as big as RuneScape; The disconnecting of the servers are due to a mistake that was made in the bringing about of Vorago. I'm not denying that there are problems with the servers, but just like any game developers rather it's Jagex or any other they will resolve the issue. There's never going to be a perfect game as we as people are not perfect; with that being said, I believe with a little bit of work the servers will be fine.

a0axl4.jpg

RuneScape Name: SgtAzazel

Current Skills Mastered: Attack, Defense, Strength, Constitution, and Woodcutting.

Current Goals: Range 80/99

Follow My Twitter

@SgtAzazel_RS

I don't know about you but I'm still waiting for them to give us information about why this keeps happening. They posted on thread on forums with a general statement acknowledging the problem... only 10 hours late

Either way these servers need to be fixed, dcing has been a constant problem even before this update

Sugar_Nana.png

Right now I play RuneScape in the Java client between low and medium graphics settings. If I play the HTML 5 client, will I get the same results if I turn the graphics settings between low and medium or will I need to stick with the Java client?

-Ethan

I did some dungoneering on HTML5, and it was horrid.. so many graphic glitches etc.

I wonder how much they are bothering considering that they will be using the RS3 engine at launch of html5, and that engine may provide more/better information for the html5 client, which may solve some of the loading issue and/or the graphic glitches.

I hope we get a new HTML5 + NIS beta test soon.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Right now I play RuneScape in the Java client between low and medium graphics settings. If I play the HTML 5 client, will I get the same results if I turn the graphics settings between low and medium or will I need to stick with the Java client?

HTML5 client doesn't have the same settings (at present) and I don't know how well it works, but for most people it is much slower and has issues at the moment. It does look nice and somethings are better.

But the NIS engine is a lot more responsive and the interface is way more streamlined. I believe NIS will have a much better overall experience with HTML5 than the regular engine will..

Serena_Sedai.png

Unless Jagex has a new build they have not released to beta, RS3 is not even close to being ready. HTML5 still has pop-in issues and overall poor performance and the NIS is still really, really rough around the edges.

This time of year- the summer games slump- is the perfect time to release RS3 and I can see why they want to release it ASAP, but it just isn't ready. Between a new, underoptimized game engine and a new but still very buggy and rough interface system, I can't see this ending well. I'd wager it will take at least a month after slated release to see RS3 fully functioning the way Jagex hopes and the players expect.

they usually do updates every 2 weeks, and they have just over 2 weeks till release, plus I think this week is an update one..

We also haven't seen a build of NIS + HTML5 yet. I think some issues will be fixed there, due to NIS having different engine..

but we won't know till we see it.

Serena_Sedai.png

It had better appear before release in order to get some modicum of testing.. and I am really curious because they definitely mentioned bugs in html5 which won't be fixed because the NIS system fixes them already. (Keybind issues for one)

Serena_Sedai.png

What the HTML5 beta needs is a buttload of optimisation and fixes. Most of the game is damn near unplayable in HTML5.

I couldn't agree more with this. For RS3 to be enjoyable at all for a huge lot of players they first need to make it playable. I can barely play it on my laptop :/

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

I'm still trying to figure out how this impacts those of us on Linux. HikariKnight has his work cut out for him, I think, and I'm guessing many of us may just stick with Java via the client port, because browser-plugins are generally gone for us.

I get 30fps (capped max) in maximum graphics, and 60fps (capped) in minimum. Using Linux Mint 13.

No impact on me. :lol:

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

I am excited for it, but I am still going to wait, and see before completely making up my mind about it. (I just hope they have changed the dark outline on bank/inventory items).

There are still glaring errors, bugs and other issues from the EoC release. After 8+ months... This does not inspire hope in me.

RS3 is a good opportunity to bring in some new players - don't let their first experience of the game consist of random lag spikes, disconnecting from the server and minor graphical issues. I mean, with the release of Vorago yesterday so many people were streaming on Twitch that RS was one of the highest rated games, and no doubt at least a few hundred non RS players would have checked RS streams out to see why they were so popular. And all they will have seen is constant server disconnects leading and people getting angry over losing items due to no fault of their own.

Jagex should have anticipated the increase in interest such an update would have brought to RS and made sure everything ran smoothly to give the best possible impression of the game.

• Like 3

Asmodean <3

There is little Jagex could've done about at least half of the disconnects seeing as they were DDOS attacks purposefully aimed at servers big name livestreams were on just as they got near to the victory.

Equally I see a lot of comments about rs3 as needless, sure html5 may still be a bit buggy but we've got a few weeks yet and theres a perfectly functional java engine that's going to be there if you do have any issue with html5, which judging by the NIS servers runs much better than the existing java engine.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I'm really excited for the change to Rs3, mostly for the music, but for the other stuff too.

• Like 2

flere_imsaho.png

As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapabale of solving approaches zero.

Ensure you are not a social situation.

There is little Jagex could've done about at least half of the disconnects seeing as they were DDOS attacks purposefully aimed at servers big name livestreams were on just as they got near to the victory.

They could have made some form of official annoucement stating they were in fact DDOS attacks on the servers, as the rumour that it was a glitch due to the last form of Vorago took hold quickly, and strongly. They could even have made a publicity stunt of it by going all out "... and we will fight them on the beaches!".

• Like 2

LgEZt.png

There is a glitch as well and jmods did acknowledge both on the forums and that quickly got duplicated to all the major fansites.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

There is a glitch as well and jmods did acknowledge both on the forums and that quickly got duplicated to all the major fansites.

I was going to say, I found it hard to believe that any one ddos was enough to really bring down the whole server all by itself... Unless it was really strong and specifically targeted well, which I don't see why someone would do that for RS....

Mlskid.png
Summoning help:
[hide=Wio, lol]logioh.png[/hide]

The ddos did bring down servers, glitch brought down others.

People did it to troll, hence it happened specifically to the servers people like Dardan were on just as they got to the 5th phase.

Also it's not exactly hard to target the RS servers, they openly respond to DNS requests allowing you access to all the data you need to pull a DDOS.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I've been floating around 20-25 fps on low settings... html5 is just not ready. I could honestly let them slide with EOC because its readiness was entirely on our backs. If we didn't speak up enough as a community then we must have been content and that simply was the case. The vocal minority was those stating EOC wasn't ready.

Html5 on the other hand people have been consistently complaining about the low fps on low settings and people are constantly locked out due to poor performance. This one is on jagex right now and I can't see possibly how it is ready. All I can say for me about possibly pulling something useful out of this is the NIS being used with the java client. I am thoroughly impressed nonetheless for jagex taking on a giant duel challenge of HTML5 and NIS and doing the right thing in making a customizable interface. Frankly I have always felt that HTML5 was in an alpha stage when NIS was in its alpha stage. Now i particularly feel that NIS is in its beta moving into live and HTML5 should remain in its beta (despite feeling its still in its early beta).

My two cents - and it should come with heavy concern considering how much most of you know I often give the benefit of the doubt.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

servers are totally not ready

Assuming it really was a problem with the data center, they're usually few and far between. Is it really wise to use that as a basis for saying whether or not the servers can handle RS3?

hzvjpwS.gif

I'm really excited about the moveable interfaces actually. I've wanted something similar since they released re-sizeable ages ago. Definitely looking forward to it although it does seem a little rushed. Only time will tell how well it will actually work in the live game.

oaM0.png
fXPnd.png