Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

22-Jul-2013 - RuneScape 3!

• Please log in to reply
1318 replies to this topic

Fallstar
[ Display Name History ]

Fallstar

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,243 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Fall Star
  • Clan:Primacy
There are still glaring errors, bugs and other issues from the EoC release. After 8+ months... This does not inspire hope in me.

RS3 is a good opportunity to bring in some new players - don't let their first experience of the game consist of random lag spikes, disconnecting from the server and minor graphical issues. I mean, with the release of Vorago yesterday so many people were streaming on Twitch that RS was one of the highest rated games, and no doubt at least a few hundred non RS players would have checked RS streams out to see why they were so popular. And all they will have seen is constant server disconnects leading and people getting angry over losing items due to no fault of their own.

Jagex should have anticipated the increase in interest such an update would have brought to RS and made sure everything ran smoothly to give the best possible impression of the game.

Asmodean <3

Sy_Accursed
[ Display Name History ]

Sy_Accursed

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,851 posts
  • RSN:Sy Accursed
There is little Jagex could've done about at least half of the disconnects seeing as they were DDOS attacks purposefully aimed at servers big name livestreams were on just as they got near to the victory.

Equally I see a lot of comments about rs3 as needless, sure html5 may still be a bit buggy but we've got a few weeks yet and theres a perfectly functional java engine that's going to be there if you do have any issue with html5, which judging by the NIS servers runs much better than the existing java engine.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Squakus
[ Display Name History ]

Squakus

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 486 posts
  • RSN:Flere Imsaho
  • Clan:Dgs
I'm really excited for the change to Rs3, mostly for the music, but for the other stuff too.
flere_imsaho.png

As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapabale of solving approaches zero.

Ensure you are not a social situation.

crazycdcm
[ Display Name History ]

crazycdcm

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 526 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Vodka

There is little Jagex could've done about at least half of the disconnects seeing as they were DDOS attacks purposefully aimed at servers big name livestreams were on just as they got near to the victory.

They could have made some form of official annoucement stating they were in fact DDOS attacks on the servers, as the rumour that it was a glitch due to the last form of Vorago took hold quickly, and strongly. They could even have made a publicity stunt of it by going all out "... and we will fight them on the beaches!".

Sy_Accursed
[ Display Name History ]

Sy_Accursed

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,851 posts
There is a glitch as well and jmods did acknowledge both on the forums and that quickly got duplicated to all the major fansites.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

mlskid
[ Display Name History ]

mlskid

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • RSN:mlskid

There is a glitch as well and jmods did acknowledge both on the forums and that quickly got duplicated to all the major fansites.

I was going to say, I found it hard to believe that any one ddos was enough to really bring down the whole server all by itself... Unless it was really strong and specifically targeted well, which I don't see why someone would do that for RS....

Mlskid.png
Summoning help:

Wio, lol

Sy_Accursed
[ Display Name History ]

Sy_Accursed

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,851 posts
The ddos did bring down servers, glitch brought down others.
People did it to troll, hence it happened specifically to the servers people like Dardan were on just as they got to the 5th phase.

Also it's not exactly hard to target the RS servers, they openly respond to DNS requests allowing you access to all the data you need to pull a DDOS.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Urza285
[ Display Name History ]

Urza285

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,133 posts
  • RSN:Urza285
  • RSN2:Urza285
  • Clan:Looking: com/skiller
I've been floating around 20-25 fps on low settings... html5 is just not ready. I could honestly let them slide with EOC because its readiness was entirely on our backs. If we didn't speak up enough as a community then we must have been content and that simply was the case. The vocal minority was those stating EOC wasn't ready.

Html5 on the other hand people have been consistently complaining about the low fps on low settings and people are constantly locked out due to poor performance. This one is on jagex right now and I can't see possibly how it is ready. All I can say for me about possibly pulling something useful out of this is the NIS being used with the java client. I am thoroughly impressed nonetheless for jagex taking on a giant duel challenge of HTML5 and NIS and doing the right thing in making a customizable interface. Frankly I have always felt that HTML5 was in an alpha stage when NIS was in its alpha stage. Now i particularly feel that NIS is in its beta moving into live and HTML5 should remain in its beta (despite feeling its still in its early beta).

My two cents - and it should come with heavy concern considering how much most of you know I often give the benefit of the doubt.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [In Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Kimberly
[ Display Name History ]

Kimberly

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 12,325 posts
  • RSN:Kimberly
  • RSN2:Dorelei

servers are totally not ready

Assuming it really was a problem with the data center, they're usually few and far between. Is it really wise to use that as a basis for saying whether or not the servers can handle RS3?

hzvjpwS.gif

Mr_Muto
[ Display Name History ]

Mr_Muto

Clan Official

• Clan Official
  • 231 posts
  • RSN:Mr Muto
  • RSN '07:Mr Muto
  • Clan:Libra
I'm really excited about the moveable interfaces actually. I've wanted something similar since they released re-sizeable ages ago. Definitely looking forward to it although it does seem a little rushed. Only time will tell how well it will actually work in the live game.

oaM0.png
fXPnd.png

Fallstar
[ Display Name History ]

Fallstar

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,243 posts
  • RSN:Fall Star
  • Clan:Primacy

servers are totally not ready

Assuming it really was a problem with the data center, they're usually few and far between. Is it really wise to use that as a basis for saying whether or not the servers can handle RS3?

It wasn't just the Vorago release though. That was the most striking example, but there've been regular problems with server disconnects throughout 2013.

Asmodean <3

Pirkka
[ Display Name History ]

Pirkka

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,165 posts
That's true, I've only had more server issues with RuneScape in 2002 and 2003, but then again I had a worse internet then (256Kb/s DSL compared to 24Mb/s now.)
Posted Image
40,919th person to access Turmoil. 21,559th person to access Overloads.

Posted Image

Are there any hidden bonuses here?

Kimberly
[ Display Name History ]

Kimberly

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 12,325 posts
  • RSN:Kimberly
  • RSN2:Dorelei

It wasn't just the Vorago release though. That was the most striking example, but there've been regular problems with server disconnects throughout 2013.

Completely fair point. To tack onto that, weren't they supposed to be upgrading something to do with their servers with the money from MTs so things like this didn't happen as frequently?

hzvjpwS.gif

Sy_Accursed
[ Display Name History ]

Sy_Accursed

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,851 posts
Wouldn't be surprised if they are loading RS3 onto mostly new servers since the big change over gives them more time to preload and avoid disrupting worlds and then for the launch just redirect the server paths and decommission the old servers.

Would be a some what logic way to do it, especially if we assume some of the older servers may lack the tech to run the new engine and we know they are adding in dedicated audio servers.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Platinum_Myr
[ Display Name History ]

Platinum_Myr

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • RSN:Serena Sedai
  • RSN2:Fyora Serena
  • Clan:The Knighted Angels
It might also explain why the game runs smoother in the beta..

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Tres
[ Display Name History ]

Tres

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 416 posts
i remember in 2010 or so i had intel E6400 machine and it was able to handle rs gathering in full details where like 1k ppl were packed to one place...2012 i tried same with new i5 machine and couldnt go anywhere near the event as it was guaranteed 1fps or less...only minimum details was possible but didnt like playing with 07 look

now rs somewhat playable in hd and getting 30-50fps most of time...tried html beta after they have optimized it little from first release and it was still horrible to play and cpu usage was ~30% more compared to normal...with medium details

Ambler
[ Display Name History ]

Ambler

Black Knight Trainer

• Monster Hunting Team
  • 3,453 posts
  • RSN:Ambler3
  • RSN2:Joe Tiko
  • Clan:EoE.... Sometimes.
The real framerate killer for me is shadows, I go from 15-25 in busy areas up to 60 when I turn them off.

Posted Image
^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^
My livestream- Currently: Offline :(
Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

Lewtations

Binary Mage
[ Display Name History ]

Binary Mage

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 297 posts
  • RSN:Binary Mage
  • Clan:Evolve
I think Jagex's servers are certainly stable enough for something like this--we certainly have enough of them, and I imagine they will be adding many more to handle RS3 launch day. The only possible issue would be the login server and the other smaller bottlenecks, but I'm sure they have a solution prepared for scaling and/or adding more. Anyone who has any sort of training in server architecture would be able to foresee the potential issues there, I would highly doubt that Jagex's staff wouldn't.

The Vorago downtime was a completely different one-off issue if what we were hearing is correct--an exploit that allowed Instance Shard worlds to be the target of a DDOS attack. It's entirely possible something like that could happen on launch day, but even if it can, there's no feasible way to prevent it before it happens.

I would definitely expect issues on launch day--there hasn't been a single MMO launch or relaunch in the past decade that hasn't had its issues--but I think that they have been preparing quite well for whatever gets thrown at them come July 22nd.
Posted ImagePosted Image

The Fallen Diviner

jayc3399
[ Display Name History ]

jayc3399

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,618 posts
I'm just hoping the code is a little more optimized. Still completely unable to load on my chrome book and I haven't had a chance to try it on my tower recently.

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

Blyaunte
[ Display Name History ]

Blyaunte

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,051 posts
  • RSN:Blyaunte
I tried running the beta again for the first time in awhile on Saturday. Took forever for my i5 to load it and the best I got was 17 fps max.

That was at the portal at Port Sarim outside of POP.

I can run the current mode of RS on the client at 30-50 fps in almost every location.

I was very disappointed.

nyuseg.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users