Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Motivation to play - what drives you? (Split from 200M in all skills)

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

Canada Crow
[ Display Name History ]

Canada Crow

Goblin Armour

• Editorial Panel
  • 90 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Canada Crow
  • RSN '07:Canada Crow
  • Clan:WyoNation
I play mainly for the sense of accomplishment.

I like seeing my work pay off slowly over time. I've thoroughly enjoyed my journey from being a noob straight off of Tutorial Island to slowly working up skills and finally being able to afford that sweet new armor. I take pride in the fact that I clicked, dragged, and grinded(ground?) all the way to where I am today.

Another main reason why I play is because of the community. Of course, RuneScape is an online MMORPG and is prone to the occasional troll or rule-breaker, but overall it's a great way to meet new friends to enjoy the game with.

RSN: Canada Crow

85jcVSg.png

Professional Noob

"It's a known fact that you cannot lie on the internet." -Abraham Lincoln

"Time that you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" -John Lennon

I am not a Jagex Moderator

gago
[ Display Name History ]

gago

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 947 posts
  • RSN:gago
  • RSN2:GAG0
I played while i enjoyed it. RS was a special game, something different and it entertained me for 10 years. It was fun.
Until the EoC came(and probably partly because i maxed) which ruined the game in my eyes and i don't enjoy it anymore ;)

chat.png

"Happines only real when shared."

Stats

Fallstar
[ Display Name History ]

Fallstar

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,243 posts
  • RSN:Fall Star
  • Clan:Primacy
I played it whilst it was fun. RS in 2011 was a fantastic game and one I am glad to have played. After that I only really played because I had already done 90% of the time needed for max, so figured I might as well finish.

Sitting on 4.8B atm, but literally cannot be [bleep]ed training even buyables. Jagex is actually doing something about goldfarmers, so that should become more valuable soon at least. When I consider how much I enjoyed slayer and combat pre eoc compared to now, it depresses me.

I figure the release of RS3 is a good cutoff point for me. So I stopped playing.

Asmodean <3

Artillery
[ Display Name History ]

Artillery

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • RSN:Ultramus
I started playing when I was introduced to Classic back when I was 11, I'm 21 now. Classic was fun because I played with some of my friends from school and then I got bored after about 2 years and just gave my character away. I joined RS again and played a good bit on what is now considered OSRS with a few friends. Once again, I was bored and gave away my character that I worked on for about 3 years. Then I started playing again about 2 years ago and I would get really hyped about trying to get a skill to 99 and would get bored training about a week later so I was always bouncing back and forth. There's really no motivation for me with EoC, I'm not a big fan. I just get on there every now and then, do some quests or challenges and then get right back on to OSRS. I'd just say my motivation is just because I enjoy playing this game and never really ventured into any other ones.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Number1 Boss
[ Display Name History ]

Number1 Boss

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • RSN:Alkan
  • RSN2:Gainz
  • RSN '07:Alkan
  • Clan:True Maxed
Warning video contains profanity

1 min, 37 seconds, Sums it up.

Auror
[ Display Name History ]

Auror

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 772 posts
  • RSN:Don Auror
Alkan, at what point do you get the [kitty]? I mean, suomi is 5b and...

Big_Stingman
[ Display Name History ]

Big_Stingman

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,713 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Big Stingman
I have to say that I enjoyed combat a lot more before EOC. It was much simpler. If I wanted EOC type of combat I would go play, oh Idk, any other MMO out there. Now I find nearly all my motivation has been put towards questing, tasks, and skilling. I find that a lot more rewarding now. I guess it goes back to sense of accomplishment.

Saru Inc
[ Display Name History ]

Saru Inc

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,463 posts
  • RSN:Saru Inc
  • RSN2:Saruman44
  • RSN '07:Thengel55
  • Clan:SODB

I have to say that I enjoyed combat a lot more before EOC. It was much simpler. If I wanted EOC type of combat I would go play, oh Idk, any other MMO out there. Now I find nearly all my motivation has been put towards questing, tasks, and skilling. I find that a lot more rewarding now. I guess it goes back to sense of accomplishment.

Complex things are always better than simple things. Except in the case of Quests. Elemental Workshop should never have existed.

EOC really isn't so bad once you get to know it.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

Fallstar
[ Display Name History ]

Fallstar

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,243 posts
  • RSN:Fall Star
  • Clan:Primacy

Complex things are always better than simple things. Except in the case of Quests. Elemental Workshop should never have existed.

I did around 10M slayer xp in the EoC (almost all of which was with ability rotations), as well as spending a couple of hundred hours (not exaggerating) perfecting and playing 1v1 PVP with abilities. I know the EoC better than most people, and still don't find it to be an enjoyable experience. Also the EoC is incredibly simplistic, not complex - it is objectively one of the least sophisticated examples of a combat system based around activated/sustained/passive abilities.

I would also disagree that complexity is always better than simple things. Unnecessary complexity is almost always avoided, and in many cases reducing something to its simplest form is the most elegant and desirable outcome.

Incidentally elemental workshop was one of my favourite questlines too ;p

Asmodean <3

Viv
[ Display Name History ]

Viv

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,804 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
Dungeoneering especially after occult floors and warped floors. Getting 99 slayer. 200m str. RUnecrafting nature runes to make money. Being F2p. Old school Rs for two months. I think I like Rs better nolifing but it was a great escape during school too. Its happened alot with Rs because generally leveling up is not that high on frustration scale but high on the dopamine scale lol.

V O R K
[ Display Name History ]

V O R K

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,215 posts

I did around 10M slayer xp in the EoC (almost all of which was with ability rotations), as well as spending a couple of hundred hours (not exaggerating) perfecting and playing 1v1 PVP with abilities. I know the EoC better than most people, and still don't find it to be an enjoyable experience. Also the EoC is incredibly simplistic, not complex - it is objectively one of the least sophisticated examples of a combat system based around activated/sustained/passive abilities.

I would also disagree that complexity is always better than simple things. Unnecessary complexity is almost always avoided, and in many cases reducing something to its simplest form is the most elegant and desirable outcome.

Incidentally elemental workshop was one of my favourite questlines too ;p

i'm so sad it's been roughly half a year or I think I came back when EOC was about to get implented.

Shit is narrow, bland and boring. I gave it a chance, now with RS3 pffffttt better MMO's out there with the same feel AND a better combat system.

O well
Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif
✿ ♥‿♥)

Tappas
[ Display Name History ]

Tappas

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • RSN:Tappas
I play (again, went off pre-EoC and about a week after the summoning skill came out) because I like how much there is to be done. For instance: I can go fishing, or AFK'ing woodcutting (ivy) if I feel that way. I can stick my time in slayer when I want too, or even running some laps on a agility course when I want. There is just so much to be done, it's not getting boring for me. And I can't say EoC messed the game up. Ofcourse, I still think of the days when you just killed experiments over and over and over and over because they had 100 HP wich was probably the most of all non-bosses. I think there is alot more thinking to do. For instance: I used to range fire giants to the next world while safespotting. Now that's a bad choice, because they attack with range, and they will hit you. I always liked doing something myself. I.E. not buying a skill from 1 to 99. I used my logs for fletching or firemaking. Cooked my own fish to level fishing and cooking. It just feels really good when you haven't spent your cash on buying everything. Instead I use it for my own skills.

Invasian
[ Display Name History ]

Invasian

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • RSN:Ayeshun
Mines a little different from others, but collecting items has kept me interested in the game. Been collecting items for over 3 years now and I mostly collect burnt food at this moment.

Posted Image

Zantareous
[ Display Name History ]

Zantareous

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 424 posts
A few factors:

1) For whatever reason it lessened stress/anxiety when doing homework. (By far the largest reason.) I quit about 1.5 years ago and still haven't recovered, failing classes due to overwhelming anxiety, unable to concentrate, depression heightened, etc. (life after the MMO sucks).

2) Social activity, clanmates are awesome.

3) Rankings (when I was an f2p skiller), competition is rewarding.

Zanty.jpegsigquotes.png

Mr_Muto
[ Display Name History ]

Mr_Muto

Clan Official

• Clan Official
  • 231 posts
  • RSN:Mr Muto
  • RSN '07:Mr Muto
  • Clan:Libra
Generally to kill some time seeing as I live in a very remote area with not much else to do outside of work.

oaM0.png
fXPnd.png

Jolletzu
[ Display Name History ]

Jolletzu

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
Quests, not much else to add.

Bows
[ Display Name History ]

Bows

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 3,352 posts
Ever since my return about a week before RuneScape 3 was released, I've been thoroughly enjoying the game. I'm having fun completing quests, training my skills, and talking with old friends. It still feels like I'm playing the same game, it just looks different now is all.

Platinum_Myr
[ Display Name History ]

Platinum_Myr

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • RSN:Serena Sedai
  • RSN2:Fyora Serena
  • Clan:The Knighted Angels
Well they haven't changed the core mechanics. But the interface is getting better I hope....

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Peever
[ Display Name History ]

Peever

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • RSN:Peever142
I merely enjoy playing the game with the people I know. Its a good time waste and ive been using it as such for 11 years now. Alot of the people I grew up with still do alot of things I am not into so much IE drugs and excessive partying. Dont get me wrong I lvoe going out to the club/bar every so often. But every weekend is just not my thing anymore. So rather than force myself out to spend 100 bucks every friday and saturday night I tend to stay in relax and play RS. I find a great more sense of acheivment playing this game than say a PS3 game.

Posted Image

dilute atom
[ Display Name History ]

dilute atom

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • RSN:Dilute Atom
A few things keep me interested in the game:

I like gaining levels and working towards new content or 99s

I enjoy talking to the people I know here

I've never really bossed much before and I want to get into it some time soon

I want to own the best equipment in the game at some point.

I feel like if I quit properly before doing these I'd have failed at something I was aiming for

Dilute_Atom.pngBro_U_Failxd.png

Lord_Kroll.pngBabs_00.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users