Motivation to play - what drives you? (Split from 200M in all skills)

SR Chris

I have to say that I enjoyed combat a lot more before EOC. It was much simpler. If I wanted EOC type of combat I would go play, oh Idk, any other MMO out there. Now I find nearly all my motivation has been put towards questing, tasks, and skilling. I find that a lot more rewarding now. I guess it goes back to sense of accomplishment.

Complex things are always better than simple things. Except in the case of Quests. Elemental Workshop should never have existed.

EOC really isn't so bad once you get to know it.

I did around 10M slayer xp in the EoC (almost all of which was with ability rotations), as well as spending a couple of hundred hours (not exaggerating) perfecting and playing 1v1 PVP with abilities. I know the EoC better than most people, and still don't find it to be an enjoyable experience. Also the EoC is incredibly simplistic, not complex - it is objectively one of the least sophisticated examples of a combat system based around activated/sustained/passive abilities.

I would also disagree that complexity is always better than simple things. Unnecessary complexity is almost always avoided, and in many cases reducing something to its simplest form is the most elegant and desirable outcome.

Incidentally elemental workshop was one of my favourite questlines too ;p

i'm so sad it's been roughly half a year or I think I came back when EOC was about to get implented.

Shit is narrow, bland and boring. I gave it a chance, now with RS3 pffffttt better MMO's out there with the same feel AND a better combat system.

O well

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

I play (again, went off pre-EoC and about a week after the summoning skill came out) because I like how much there is to be done. For instance: I can go fishing, or AFK'ing woodcutting (ivy) if I feel that way. I can stick my time in slayer when I want too, or even running some laps on a agility course when I want. There is just so much to be done, it's not getting boring for me. And I can't say EoC messed the game up. Ofcourse, I still think of the days when you just killed experiments over and over and over and over because they had 100 HP wich was probably the most of all non-bosses. I think there is alot more thinking to do. For instance: I used to range fire giants to the next world while safespotting. Now that's a bad choice, because they attack with range, and they will hit you. I always liked doing something myself. I.E. not buying a skill from 1 to 99. I used my logs for fletching or firemaking. Cooked my own fish to level fishing and cooking. It just feels really good when you haven't spent your cash on buying everything. Instead I use it for my own skills.

Mines a little different from others, but collecting items has kept me interested in the game. Been collecting items for over 3 years now and I mostly collect burnt food at this moment.

3JCf1.png

• Like 1

A few factors:

1) For whatever reason it lessened stress/anxiety when doing homework. (By far the largest reason.) I quit about 1.5 years ago and still haven't recovered, failing classes due to overwhelming anxiety, unable to concentrate, depression heightened, etc. (life after the MMO sucks).

2) Social activity, clanmates are awesome.

3) Rankings (when I was an f2p skiller), competition is rewarding.

Zanty.jpegsigquotes.png

Ever since my return about a week before RuneScape 3 was released, I've been thoroughly enjoying the game. I'm having fun completing quests, training my skills, and talking with old friends. It still feels like I'm playing the same game, it just looks different now is all.

I merely enjoy playing the game with the people I know. Its a good time waste and ive been using it as such for 11 years now. Alot of the people I grew up with still do alot of things I am not into so much IE drugs and excessive partying. Dont get me wrong I lvoe going out to the club/bar every so often. But every weekend is just not my thing anymore. So rather than force myself out to spend 100 bucks every friday and saturday night I tend to stay in relax and play RS. I find a great more sense of acheivment playing this game than say a PS3 game.

peever142.png

A few things keep me interested in the game:

I like gaining levels and working towards new content or 99s

I enjoy talking to the people I know here

I've never really bossed much before and I want to get into it some time soon

I want to own the best equipment in the game at some point.

I feel like if I quit properly before doing these I'd have failed at something I was aiming for

Dilute_Atom.pngBro_U_Failxd.png

Lord_Kroll.pngBabs_00.png

• 7 months later...

Hmm, this seems to be an old thread...but I think I shall answer.

I have no motivation to "play" (meaning doing anything outside of a certain skill) because I see no point of it. Certain ways I had planned on doing things no longer even exist. 

But I still click obstacles.

And I don't like two certain idiots. Just saying.

It is kind of old, and a bit nostalgic to see so many people who have since become inactive on TIF or RS or both.

I play to see how the story unfolds, and most importantly to this end, for the quests. I have long been interested in the lore. As anyone who's been keeping up with the in-game updates and events of the past two years could guess, the current era of RS is primetime for me.

I am also of course #1FashionScaperExtraordinaire obviously :P

And, I rather enjoy RS's combat system as far as how easy it is to get the kind of encounter I feel like at some certain time.

Plus, RS is $5 a month for me. It's never NOT been worth that, there's always something I can find to do when I'm bored.

• Like 1

2dgucz6.png

Well here is something I have found interesting talking to others about. Why does everyone play the game and what motivates you?

This is quite interesting amongst higher level players aswell as I have asked 2-3 players over 2b xp.

Detail would be highly appreciated :)

for e.g. I feel like rs is keeping me safe and off the streets (smoked pot all day everyday for nearly a full year before I started playing hard), I also enjoy seeing my gains + efficient days. My goal is to gain as much efficient xp before I lose motivation :)

wow this game keeps you from smoking.

play4lols

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

• 3 weeks later...

I've always been a big fan of the progressive, long-term style of gameplay that RuneScape offers (with seemingly no possible end), and the goal setting, hard work, and personal accomplishment that naturally accompanies this type of game. A lot of the values and lessons that have been important within this game over the years also run parallel with life in the real world, which I think was important for me while growing up playing this game as a kid.

I've also been a very social person all my life and so the huge social aspect of the game drew me in right from the beginning. Making friends online, joining clans, competing with others for glory and XP, was all something I bought into really quickly :-D

To compete. To show the world how much of a grinder I am. Even though, I've moved on to other things, Runescape was the first thing that kept me going at it for more than 12 hours in a row. Never knew I had that in me.