Since F2P Runescape no longer competes...

Lizi

I wouldn't be suprised if Rs mobile has no membership and has more microtransactions. IF they could get away with microtransactions on mobile that they didn't have in the PC version and keep Pc version subscribtion/sof/solomon it could appeal to both markets but differently.

StarViv.png

How much money does jagex get from

- memberships

- adverts

-sof

-solomon store

?

My guess is SoF and SGS outclass the rest by a huge margin. The number of people that go "Oh its only $20 in spins" or "Oh I really like that outfit, I'll buy the $50 pack of coins" is staggering. Not saying that cosmetics are a bad thing, and not wanting to go into the issues on spins, but those two easily dwarf the income from membership.

Maybe they don't make that much from memberhsip and ads alone, so they jumped on the microtransactions. Now, i dont think they make as much as when more people played and had membership.

How much money does jagex get from

- memberships

- adverts

-sof

-solomon store

?

My guess is SoF and SGS outclass the rest by a huge margin. The number of people that go "Oh its only $20 in spins" or "Oh I really like that outfit, I'll buy the $50 pack of coins" is staggering. Not saying that cosmetics are a bad thing, and not wanting to go into the issues on spins, but those two easily dwarf the income from membership.

Maybe they don't make that much from memberhsip and ads alone, so they jumped on the microtransactions. Now, i dont think they make as much as when more people played and had membership.

We had an earlier discussion about their recent financial statements http://forum.tip.it/topic/319783-jagex-2012-financial-report-sort-of/]here[/url].

Interestingly enough, the financial statements indicate that they don't make very much off advertisements (F2P) in comparison to what they make from P2P sources, which is likely the reason why they're not pouring much in terms of resources or upgrades into it ...

nyuseg.png

According to this F2P provides Jagex with just 3.3% of their income (pre-2012, which included SOF/SGS and video ads). Right now, there are 8283 F2Pers online out of a total of 60,600. This is 13.7% of online players. Not insignificant, but still a fairly low number. Now, being a primarily F2P player I would love more updates. But the numbers just don't support it.

Yeah, income from F2P is a fraction from P2P income. Since they only list "Game income" (Membership and MTX together) and "Advertising revenue" in their financial statement, it's hard to tell how much they make from microtransactions. We can only estimate...

Assuming they make exactly the same money from subscriptions as before (Game Time Income from 9 months ended December 2011: 31,983,489 pounds), then microtransactions would make up roughly 20% of their "game income" (Game Income from 12 months ended December 2012: 52,335,101 pounds). I'd personally say membership income has dropped, but not dramatically. In any way, it should be a safe bet to say that

1.Financially, microtransactions were definitely beneficial

2.Microtransactions make up a significant part of the income, but the larger part still comes from subscriptions, most likely at least twice as much.

No way to tell how much of the microtransaction money comes from F2P though.

Or how much of the microtransaction income comes from free players.

• Like 1

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

I would assume it's minimal. I've suggested to Jagex that they open cosmetics and lamps from SoF to F2P in an effort to have F2Pers buy spins, but there was no reply. Presumably Jagex is under the impression that if you're not willing to pay $8/month for a ton of extras, you aren't willing to pay for spins. Which makes sense. I've seen some pure F2Pers buy Runecoins, but it's not many.

• Like 1

I would assume it's minimal. I've suggested to Jagex that they open cosmetics and lamps from SoF to F2P in an effort to have F2Pers buy spins, but there was no reply. Presumably Jagex is under the impression that if you're not willing to pay $8/month for a ton of extras, you aren't willing to pay for spins. Which makes sense. I've seen some pure F2Pers buy Runecoins, but it's not many.

Yeah I wonder about that too. It would only make (financial) sense to market microtransaction to free players more heavily. As far as I'm aware, the SOF is somewhat of a membership advertisment, very often offering member prizes you have to subscribe to get, right? But considering their changing approach to getting new players (trying to make them subscribe immediately with the new tutorial and trial membership), that is rather counterproductive, imo. If someone didn't subscribe to members but continues to play F2P, he probably either doesn't have the money/isn't allowed to spend it on Runescape, or it's someone who explicitely wants to play F2P.

The chances of finding someone who wasn't convinced by the free trial but will sign up for a SoF prize or something from SGS is rather slim, imo. The chances of someone who will spend money on microtransactions is bigger. It will obviously still exclude those who just don't have the money - but you could get something from those playing f2p on purpose.

And (again from the financial viewpoint), what do they have to lose? With members, they had to watch out so they don't piss off too many of their subscribers with too heavy-handed microtransactions. With free players...if they quit, the loss for Jagex is absolutely minimal. (Next to) nothing to lose, something to gain - it seems like an obvious choice (considering they aren't bothered about potentially ruining their game with microtransactions)

I know a lot of people who've bought both spins and stuff from Solomon's. I think the free players would be more willing to buy spins if they took most of the mems crap off the SoF. While I mean members items in general, I also mean crap. No one is going to buy membership because they won 50 cannonballs or 10 oak planks

If they reduced the number of mems items to 2 or 3 on free worlds and made them things people might actually want, I think they would get a lot more free players buying spins and maybe even upgrading because of something they won.

• Like 1

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

For sure, the total members stuff on the wheel is all just crap items which don't really matter. and f2p should not get any of those, but really cool things that might entice them would do more. Especially considering that f2p only gets 1 spin per day vs members anyways.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Another selling point to listed F2P games, are that they are "Competitive" in the sense of that they actually require real player skills. This in it self is a HUGE selling point, and the effect from this is also that the players themselves have the chance to go "pro", and when I say pro I mean actually "real pro" (that they can get sponsorships and make huge money from playing it.) Runescape does not have that.

It is easy to see that Runescape is a declining game, it will not be able to compete with the constant amazing graphic releases from say Korea etc. or the competitive E-sport games from USA, Runescape due to its limitations; will most likely never become a real "PRO" game - it just doesn't have that attraction. As I see it, this has and still is is the key selling point of Runescape - that any idiot and their senile grandmas can play it and become what you would call good. Heck! If it wasn't for the 200 000 milion bots paying monthly subs, ít probably woulda been stuck in Runescape Classic for christsake.

The gaming industry is a ever reforming industry. Computer gaming back in ~2000 is not the same as it is now. Sure you had games like Quake and Counter-Strike getting large crowds to the gaming scene, but now its grown into enormous proportions to what it was back then. In order to keep up with the snowball effect from E-sport games you would have to remake Runescape from scratch, and thus killing what Runescape really is.

Nothing lasts forever.

| 99 Attack | 99 Strength | 99 Defence | 99 Hit Points | 99 Prayer | 99 Magic | 99 Summoning | 99 Ranging |
| 99 Agility| 99 Woodcutting | 99 Construction | 99 Fletching | 99 Herblore | 99 Runecrafting | 99 Thieving |
| 99 Firemaking | 99 Crafting | 99 Runecrafting | 99 Cooking| 99 Smithing | 99 Construction | 99 Fishing |
| 99 Hunter | 99 Farming | 99 Slayer |  Divination 99 | 115+ Dungeoneering |

Total Level: 2590+
Max Cape - Owner

I am not sure if this is a limitation of Java or what, but I always wondered why they have specifically F2P and P2P worlds? In other games I’ve seen that offer an F2P component, it appears that the F2P players generally have the same access to the entire game as the P2P players, but can only train certain skills to certain levels and/or use certain equipment.

If this is the case, couldn't Jagex simply open the entire game world to all players and make those who want to use specific gear, locations et al, have to purchase membership in order to use all the game's features?

:unsure:

nyuseg.png

They probably do it because it's easier to code blocking people from using members items if they're no longer paying. Free worlds also don't have access to members' items on the G.E.. I would think that would also be a lot harder to code if every world was a men's world with limited area access.

My friends and I have all enjoyed playing LOL together for the past few months. None of us have spent any money on the game, nor do we intend to

Leage of Legends can be free, but the goal of the developers is to get you to buy stuff so they make money.

Serena_Sedai.png

My friends and I have all enjoyed playing LOL together for the past few months. None of us have spent any money on the game, nor do we intend to

Leage of Legends can be free, but the goal of the developers is to get you to buy stuff so they make money.

I understand what you guys were saying, but I was making a joke about how easily you can find yourself throwing money at Riot for that game :P

• Like 2

Jagex is embracing one industry change while sorta ignoring the other. And these isn't necessarily good idea as the two are starting to go more hand in hand. Zaaps' joke was cute but proves a big point. Jagex isn't the only company jumping on the microtransaction train. And they are far from the worse. MMOs are leaning to a F2P model subsidized by microtransactions. Runescape really can be F2P with the need to pay for higher content. They already opened Burthope and Traverly. Why not open the entire game world, let F2P players train a higher skill level than 5 (I think 70 is acceptable) and make some of your more special bosses, armor, and the like P2P? Maybe then F2P would have a use for 10 oak planks and 50 cannonballs...

29386_s.gif

"Goals dont have a deadline." -xxxgod quoting Lady Shahdie

[slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]

I think they've been trying to stay away from the "pay to win" model, even if they've done some of it with spins. It's so expensive that it really doesn't function too much as pay to win. A few players here and there use it that way but most just use it pretty casually. (Though it practically is pay2win fashionscape now lol)

But I think giving away more stuff from P2P as F2P content, keeps making P2P look more like P2W instead.. I am ok overall with this, but it still definitely has connotations they try to avoid.

Serena_Sedai.png

Yes, which is why the only thing close to pay to win at the moment is spins, and the limits on that make it not practical.. (even if people still do it..)

Serena_Sedai.png

• 2 weeks later...

Somehow Jagex managed to change so much in short amounts of time that it's not the same game anymore. esp when compared to classic. I feel like i'm playing a different game completely where there are microtransactions like most videogames and computer games these days