Behind The Scenes - August 2013

Tim

I still don't get the fuzz about that quest. Back when the quest came out, the RSOF exploded with rage about global warming being a hoax. :s Even IF it is a hoax IRL (which it isn't), ingame it caused the melting of the ice on Ice Mountain.

I still don't get the fuzz about that quest. Back when the quest came out, the RSOF exploded with rage about global warming being a hoax. :s Even IF it is a hoax IRL (which it isn't), ingame it caused the melting of the ice on Ice Mountain.

I agree with this so much, whats the problem? It's a quest about a very localised factory causing ice to melt where's the issue with that?

And 'global warming is a myth' people annoy me no end - you are fighting against recycling, green energy and moving away from near exhausted fuel resources even if global warming was a myth what exactly is bad about reducing pollution, avoiding unnecessary landfill and break dependence on monopolised fossil fuels that are largely depleted already so are going to be subject to prices soaring within the next few decades.

• Like 4

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I agree with this so much, whats the problem? It's a quest about a very localised factory causing ice to melt where's the issue with that?

And 'global warming is a myth' people annoy me no end - you are fighting against recycling, green energy and moving away from near exhausted fuel resources even if global warming was a myth what exactly is bad about reducing pollution, avoiding unnecessary landfill and break dependence on monopolised fossil fuels that are largely depleted already so are going to be subject to prices soaring within the next few decades.

Because ignorant people can't talk on merits and facts, so they need to SPEAK LOUDER to make sure that no one can ignore them.

• Like 1

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

If you make a quest that grossly oversimplifies a controversial and heavily political (at the time) real-world problem with less subtlety than James Cameron's Avatar, in a way that features blatant emotional baiting rather than facts and doesn't even make sense in/actively contradicts your game's continuity, you probably shouldn't be surprised when it upsets your players. Even the ones that agree with the overall message.

I feel like I'll be jumped on if I don't say that part of my hatred for that quest comes from actually having studied environmental science.

• Like 2

If all it takes to combat global warming is truly just recycling and 'green energy' (whatever that means), have you ever considered the other side of things? Why people are against it? Nope, you haven't, because Sy Accursed doesn't need to consider the whims of such a silly muggle-headed part of the populace.

I'm really getting tired of the arrogance of this community.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

If you make a quest that grossly oversimplifies a controversial and heavily political (at the time) real-world problem with less subtlety than James Cameron's Avatar, in a way that features blatant emotional baiting rather than facts and doesn't even make sense in/actively contradicts your game's continuity, you probably shouldn't be surprised when it upsets your players. Even the ones that agree with the overall message.

That is only true IF you assume it is a commentary of the real world issue, the quest itself within the game is pure and simple.

The guys factory is making smog that has quite proveably melted the top of ice mountain. You solve this.

And such an assumption has little basis seeing as nothing anywhere in the wiki, news post or quest itself remotely says it is commentating on real world events making reacting to it as such as ludicrous as the folks who got up in arms over 'Smoking Kills' have an agenda on the title alone.

If all it takes to combat global warming is truly just recycling and 'green energy' (whatever that means), have you ever considered the other side of things? Why people are against it? Nope, you haven't, because Sy Accursed doesn't need to consider the whims of such a silly muggle-headed part of the populace.

I'm really getting tired of the arrogance of this community.

Seeing as the issue of global warming is not on-topic for this thread I quite predictably refrained from making a full and reasoned debate about the issues instead opting for a simplification that made my point that arguably all the policies global warming things try to enact are by and large good for us and the planet regardless of the reality or otherwise or global warming and therefore those who vehemently fight against all such policies due to it being a 'myth' bemuse me.

I would suggest you check your own arrogance at assuming you are any better than me simply because I choose to not overly derail a thread in to a debate about global warming by instead making a passing comment that related to my runescape related point; especially seeing as what you are attacking me for (that the things I mentioned won't solve global warming) if not a claim I actually made in the slightest.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

That is only true IF you assume it is a commentary of the real world issue, the quest itself within the game is pure and simple.

The guys factory is making smog that has quite proveably melted the top of ice mountain. You solve this.

And such an assumption has little basis seeing as nothing anywhere in the wiki, news post or quest itself remotely says it is commentating on real world events making reacting to it as such as ludicrous as the folks who got up in arms over 'Smoking Kills' have an agenda on the title alone.

...What. Seriously, what. How- But that's- afgbxb esthvgbsdfvgsdvbxbv i dont even

• Like 1

Good God we're really discussing global warming?

*exits and retreats back to blogscape*

witchynosaur.png

Armadyl Drops : 4 Hilts; 3 Chestplates; 2 Chainskirts; 1 Helmet; 1 Buckler; 2 Shard 1; 2 Shard 2; 1 Shard 3

Nex : 1 Zaryte Bow

Kalphite King : 1 Drygore Rapier ; 1 Drygore Longsword : 1 Drygore Offhand Rapier : 1 Drygore Offhand Longsword

Good God we're really discussing global warming?

*exits and retreats back to blogscape*

Haha, no we're not, I was proving a point, which was proven. Sorry for the derailment...

I never really liked that quest, but I did like that it utilized a part of the game we've not really utilized that much before.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

I think it was a decent enough quest. I was just happy that we finally were allowed to smelt Pickaxes :P

It sort of occupied a weird space where they simultaneously wanted to release a low-level quest for pickaxe smelting, show off the new graphical upgrade of the Monastery and Ice Mountain, and do something Dwarf-related that wasn't Keldagrim.

The fact that it caused some people to think about Global Warming was a small positive (Quite possibly offset by the fact that the quest caused the RSOF to erupt into flame wars for the following two months, in a manner that is still yet to be matched by even the EoC) but I do agree that it really could have done without the social commentary. I don't think there's really anyone that is really going to have their opinion on the matter changed by a Runescape quest. (And those that would are likely not going to turn to the side of the argument that Mod John A was hoping for :P )

Definitely a weird-arse quest nonetheless.

In other news, meet your new Divination Skillcape design, lucky Bachelor #6!

Divination_Cape-06150257.png

• Like 2

Binary_Mage.pngxJgdnyi.png

The Fallen Diviner

Whilst yes, I've been excited for Divination for the past few months, and yes I should have been taking my time with Completionisting in between (sorry Gwyn! But emotional shit etc...), I'm going to be rather disappointed if it is like a Runespan type thing...

Also... Is it just me, or doesn't this whole "Get Guthix' memories from the leaked energy and remember all the cool shit he's done" in total contradiction to the "Remember your purpose... Forget me" that we're supposed to obey. Kinda feel it's an extra kick in the nads for the poor guy, and I rather want to respect his one final dying wish...

• Like 2

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

Whilst yes, I've been excited for Divination for the past few months ... I'm going to be rather disappointed if it is like a Runespan type thing...

I get the feeling it's going to be "Runespan meets the Hunter Skill". Or not.

Or maybe it’s more of an Abbott and Costello Meets Frankenstein kinda thing?

sya1s0.jpg

:unsure:

nyuseg.png

Whilst yes, I've been excited for Divination for the past few months, and yes I should have been taking my time with Completionisting in between (sorry Gwyn! But emotional shit etc...), I'm going to be rather disappointed if it is like a Runespan type thing...

Also... Is it just me, or doesn't this whole "Get Guthix' memories from the leaked energy and remember all the cool shit he's done" in total contradiction to the "Remember your purpose... Forget me" that we're supposed to obey. Kinda feel it's an extra kick in the nads for the poor guy, and I rather want to respect his one final dying wish...

It is a contradiction of a sort, but the opportunity to give more information on the Nargai and their homeworld is just too great I guess. It's one niggling issue that I don't really mind.

The way they've set it up we are respecting Guthix's wish. His memories, along with much of his power, has merged in to the Anima Mundi. Divination requires us to collect this energy where it leaks out and return it to the Anima Mundi along with the memories - we are actively collecting up rogue memories of Guthix and hiding them away in the Anima Mundi so that others cannot find them and thus Guthix can be forgotten.

Also I don't this US remembering him really breaks his wishes - he wants the simple mortals to forget him and forget all gods but we the player are not so simple. The fact he watched us and made us a Guardian and showed us his memories marks us out as something more, someone who is able to decide and act without a god and to think and choose for ourselves and we must remember all that Guthix told us and showed us to best use his power to realise his dream.

• Like 2

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Improved Loyalty Programme - More Details

Very soon, you’ll be able to spend your hard-earned loyalty points not only in the Loyalty Shop, but also on many of the great items in Solomon’s General Store. As mentioned in Mod Mark's recent Behind the Scenes article, the Loyalty Shop is merging with Solomon’s!

On Monday 19th August, the Loyalty Shop will close down for one week. During this time preparations will be made and upon re-opening – as part of Solomon’s – you’ll be able to buy runecoin items with your loyalty points.

Also, accessing your Loyalty Programme information will be easier than ever. No need to visit Xuan's locations or tab out of the game client; simply open Solomon’s General Store and view it directly from the store interface.

On top of this, all existing loyalty points outfits are getting a graphical upgrade, and will be accessible as cosmetic overrides through the Customisation Interface.

Be sure to check out how we’ve updated the Loyalty Programme to be even more generous:

• Anyone who is a member for a year receives an exclusive milestone reward, with more for whole, consecutive years of membership that follow.
  • Players who subscribe for several months in a row receive bonus loyalty points, with hefty amounts awarded every six months of consecutive membership.

For more details, check out the official FAQ. We'll be updating this and releasing full details of the new and improved Members' Loyalty Programme when we launch!

The RuneScape Team

Discuss this here.

[spoiler=FAQ]

What’s happening to the Loyalty Shop?

The Loyalty Shop is being merged with Solomon’s General Store, keeping all your cosmetic items in one place, allowing many to be equipped as overrides, and allowing certain items to be bought with your choice of runecoins or loyalty points. During the run-up to this change, the Loyalty Shop will be closed for a week, from 19th to 26th August. Solomon’s General Store will remain open as normal for this duration.

What happens to my loyalty points?

You’ll still be rewarded loyalty points on a monthly basis, and your current points will be saved while the Loyalty Shop is being merged into Solomon's, ready for you to use after it opens.

Will I still be able to access the store through Xuan?

Yes. You'll be able to access the newly combined store by speaking to Xuan in-game.

Will I lose any loyalty points during the merge?

No. Your loyalty point total will be saved while the Loyalty Shop is closed. You will still be able to view your points, how many you are due and when they will be received by visiting Solomon's General Store.

I normally get my loyalty points in this week while the loyalty store has been removed. Am I going to miss out on my points?

You’ll receive your normal number of points even if the Loyalty Shop is closed, and they’ll be waiting for you to spend after it receives the makeover! The points awarded will reflect the old Loyalty Programme, and will be updated to give you the new points on your next handout.

What happens to the loyalty items I’ve already purchased?

These will remain on your account.

Loyalty shop cosmetic outfits will be accessed as overrides through the Customisation Interface after the merge. They’ll also get a graphical upgrade!

If you have a Loyalty Shop cosmetic item stored in a dragon keepsake box, you will be refunded the keepsake key upon launch of the update.

Most other items will be available from Solomon's Store, although a few items - such as auras and item recolours - will remain available through Xuan's Loyalty Shop as before.

Full details will be available on release.

What are bonus points and can I get them more than once?

Bonus points are additional loyalty points given to players who have continuous membership over several months. You'll receive big helpings of these for each 6 months that you retain your membership.

Full details of how bonus points are awarded will be given on release.

What are milestone items, and how often do I get them?

Milestone items are rewards for the most loyal players, and will be rewarded every year of consecutive membership. Players who have been on the Loyalty Programme prior to this merge will receive the milestone item/s according to the number of months they have been with the Loyalty Programme - players who have been signed up for 12-23 consecutive months will get the year 1 milestone item, while those who have been signed up for 24+ months will get the year 2 milestone item.

Will loyalty point or runecoin prices be changed? If an item is made cheaper, will I be reimbursed?

There will be no price changes.

Also, accessing your Loyalty Programme information will be easier than ever. No need to visit Xuan's locations or tab out of the game client; simply open Solomon’s General Store and view it directly from the store interface.

During the run-up to this change, the Loyalty Shop will be closed for a week, from 19th to 26th August.

inb4theynerfjackoftrades

:rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

During the run-up to this change, the Loyalty Shop will be closed for a week, from 19th to 26th August.

inb4theynerfjackoftrades

inb4theyarentdoinganythingtotheactualrewardsotherthanconvertingloyaltycostumestooverridessothereisnoreasontoevencyncallyexpectthemtonerfanyoftheaurasthatarenotevenbeingmaderunecoinbuyable.

• Like 3

Plv6Dz6.jpg

inb4theynerfjackoftrades

inb4theyarentdoinganythingtotheactualrewardsotherthanconvertingloyaltycostumestooverridessothereisnoreasontoevencyncallyexpectthemtonerfanyoftheaurasthatarenotevenbeingmaderunecoinbuyable.

inb4updateistotalshitthatnooneexceptfashionscaperscareabout

PS

InB4thespacebarsoftheworldcryatnotbeingused.

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items