Runescape Dying? [Discussion/Observation]

Pat_61

They didn't say hp > constitution was needed they said it gave them more options for the skill in the future.

Admittedly they have done very little with it thus far, but the constitution vs cooking req for food is at least a mild start.

Constitution + cooking is idiotic. Because how much health you have obviously effects how you eat a peice of food same goes with cooking. I dont know how to cook cake but still i am very good at eating cake.

And their excuses was it was needed to expand. Nothing was ever expand upon.

Even now we have like 9k+ lp. I hate numbers being that high. It was uneeded.

We are talking about eating a cake to counter blood loss and injury to vital organs.

What I have always said about monsters is, its jagex's lack of creativity when making them. If they didnt want them 'boring' they just need to vary up the type of monsters they bring out. Instead of simply giving them some stats and a attack based on what ever side of the combat triangle.

They were just lazy/uncreative. Its pretty simple.

Are you talking about the EoC revamp of existing monsters, because going back and updating everything with unique combat abilities would be a monumental task. Everything that's been released in the last year that I can think of off the top of my head has some sort of special ability to avoid (kk, ascension, vorago, autobots, hardmode gwd).

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

We are talking about eating a cake to counter blood loss and injury to vital organs.

In discussions like these it's important to stick with the mentality that you are discussing things that don't make sense within the game world. Do not apply the laws of a completely separate world -- our world -- to the world of RuneScape. It might draw inspiration from real life, but it is not the same. What makes sense in RS does not have to make sense in real life so long as does not break the illusion of the world it creates. To use that point to counter a constructive plea for more logical gameplay is pointless and annoying.

• Like 2

hzvjpwS.gif

Yeah trying to apply real world logic to healing in any game rarely makes sense since sipping potions or stuffing absurd amounts of food into ur face will never logically equate to healing wounds by any logic other than 'magic.' Just the same way it doesn't make any sense that some games you suddenly are fine as soon as you escape combat for a bit.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

That's exactly the point I was trying to make. The notion that eating cake heals you is so absurd that they can do whatever the hell they want with it.

That's exactly the point I was trying to make. The notion that eating cake heals you is so absurd that they can do whatever the hell they want with it.

I know what you were trying to say, but here's why that still is a really crappy point to make:

They can't just "do whatever" unless it makes sense somehow within the game according to the logic the game presents. You can't just buy a magical fairy that heals you to full health and prevents you from death without making it fit into the game in a way that doesn't clash with existing methods that do the same thing (eating to heal in this case). You can't just create a skill called organic chemistry without designing it with Runescape in mind. You can't just do something just because you think you can do anything.

One game that does that often is AdventureQuest (first example that came to mind) and it suffers greatly for it.

hzvjpwS.gif

A perfect example of people not knowing what they want and then not being happy when they do get what they think they want.

OSRS is exactly what the EoC haters wanted. Both Jagex and OSRS supporters knew exactly what was going to happen. You don't like it? Tough.

The amount of baseless conjecture and opinion construed as fact in this thread is laughable at best.

*Insert popcorn gif here*

The only baseless conjecture and opinion construed as fact that I've seen so far in this thread is your post - everyone else on both sides is at least explaining their observations instead of making generic comments with nothing to back them up.

Mmmk.

There's no need to back it up, this entire thread is backing up my thoughts on the subject.

ITT:

"Mod Mark is responsible for Runescape turning to shit!"

"Runescape is dying guys, we need to make sure you know this because you may not know!"

"EoC can be classed objectively as a pile of shit because I and many others think it is!"

"PvP is all that matters and now that sucks this game is done!"

"I'm not willing to change so why should other people still enjoy Rs if I can't!"

-------

You're right, these are all entirely factual and not subjective opinions at all. Seen and heard it all before.

I am a little confused here. Did you actually just complain about baseless arguments, then proceed to make up a load of statements with minimal relevance to the original points because they'd be easier to argue against? I assume you must have made a mistake there, as I don't think it's possible to be so hypocritical!

You even state "There's no need to back it up" about your opinion - you are aware this makes you such a precise example of baseless conjecture and the like that it literally wouldn't be possible for me to find a better one?

• Like 1

Asmodean <3

Why would you risk when batwing achieves the same, this is how it goes now.

whilst you had a plethora of choice before the EOC when it came to armour-choice. There is nothing to understand about EOC pking, get the stun right, you win, ... change of styles ? No sorry here have a few seconds delay on your abilities; very boring. You all claim people generalize yet you do exactly the same and write every problem ever of on the PVP-community.

"I didn't pk, i dun care"

"I got attacked in the wilderness doing my clue, bah!"

"I met a clan in the wilderness and died"

what's different about warbands then? FC's monopolizing a boatload of EXP and batwing. Oh "glorious" pking!

Shame, even if you disliked some children with a big mouth, I don't understand how one completely writes off the whole PVP-experience, there's was more then the wilderness.

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

I know what you were trying to say, but here's why that still is a really crappy point to make:

They can't just "do whatever" unless it makes sense somehow within the game according to the logic the game presents. You can't just buy a magical fairy that heals you to full health and prevents you from death without making it fit into the game in a way that doesn't clash with existing methods that do the same thing (eating to heal in this case). You can't just create a skill called organic chemistry without designing it with Runescape in mind. You can't just do something just because you think you can do anything.

One game that does that often is AdventureQuest (first example that came to mind) and it suffers greatly for it.

I think to put what you alluding to in broad terms it's the classic fantasy trap: Getting out of any corner with magic/gadgets/chi/any other vague fantasy concept opposed to giving it limits to make the world have a sense of its own realism.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

To be fair, those are arguments that people use (With the exception of the last one, though the feeling is common enough). Maybe not here, but it's happened.

He uses those statements as a reason to disregard everything in this thread though. As in, here.

"There's no need to back it up, this entire thread is backing up my thoughts on the subject."

His closing sentence tells you everything you need to know: "You're right, these are all entirely factual and not subjective opinions at all. Seen and heard it all before."

He is simply dismissing what people have said, either because he didn't read what people have said or because he can't argue against what people actually said and so needs to straw man everything to such an extent. It's really quite rude to the people who put time into their posts - on both sides - when he clearly has either not read, or not bothered to comprehend, what those people wrote.

• Like 3

Asmodean <3

I think to put what you alluding to in broad terms it's the classic fantasy trap: Getting out of any corner with magic/gadgets/chi/any other vague fantasy concept opposed to giving it limits to make the world have a sense of its own realism.

Thought I explicitly stated it in the post before that when I spoke of mechanics needing to make sense within the game world, but yes, you are right in that's what I mean.

They used to do a really good job of that. Example: A backpack magnet that collects your ammo? That's stupid, why does that work? Ah right here's an entire quest that fits it into the game's universe. It still bothers me that the SoF doesn't fit within RS. The SGS sort of does a better job - sort of - by way of using Solomon as an actual character the players can read about in news posts but then they stopped doing that, too. By contrast, the Loyalty Store was actually integrated into RS.

Come to think of it we might see Xuan hit retirement when the combining of SGS and Loyalty Shop goes through and Solomon might actually become a part of the game.

hzvjpwS.gif

He uses those statements as a reason to disregard everything in this thread though. As in, here.

"There's no need to back it up, this entire thread is backing up my thoughts on the subject."

His closing sentence tells you everything you need to know: "You're right, these are all entirely factual and not subjective opinions at all. Seen and heard it all before."

He is simply dismissing what people have said, either because he didn't read what people have said or because he can't argue against what people actually said and so needs to straw man everything to such an extent. It's really quite rude to the people who put time into their posts - on both sides - when he clearly has either not read, or not bothered to comprehend, what those people wrote.

I'm just talking about the examples, and I'll be the first to admit that it's a very flimsy defense.

The rest of the post is on him.

I wish they would scrap SoF, SGS can stay for all I care. Its only cosmetics + with the Loyalty intergration it will be taken more lightly. That would make a rise in player satisfaction. But Jagex would also be put at a massive loss. Although I expect Solomons is the main money maker. Due to it being a 100% thing you're getting the item you want rather than spinning your cash away on a few coins.

• Like 1

But the whole reason behind the outrage was that the examples cited weren't relevant to what was going on in the thread. They might've been relevant in past discussions, but not this one.

It might have been relevant earlier in this thread, but we've since gone away from that point. There are a handful of posts in the first two or three pages that have the "RS is dying because of EoC/Mark/ETC" thing, when most of the other posts had at least some argument behind them. They were ignored, as they should have been.

That's not an excuse for disregarding an entire thread, of course, but it's there.

I think it's far too easy to blame a player exodus. Every game gets updates, every game has to deal with players getting wound up / growing up / running out of money / finding a new favourite hobby. The problem by far is that RuneScape for quite some time now has failed to bring in new people, partly because of a general disinterest in the whole genre since the late 2000s, partly because frankly, there's not a lot in RuneScape to distinguish it between all the hundred other fantasy MMORPGs. Its main strength is its accessibility as a browser-based game (of which there are increasingly few). That's it.

Under that philosophy, it's not really about what's in RuneScape (EoC, SoF and all)... it's about what isn't in RuneScape. It's nothing special, basically. Hasn't been for a good six or seven years now.

If they wanted to go for gaining new strenghts. I would of invested in a team deadicated to re balancing the game. (EXP rates, Item and Gold sincs etc). Then with that I wouldn't of choose to mess up the combat. Theres plenty of popular games that have a better system and was based on that system. They dont really scratch the surface on these games.

I would of focused on the quests and feel of the world. The adventure side. Less hand holding, more WGS type quests. Expansion upon story lines.

For marketings sake.

RS3 The whole god thing is great,

Maybe a year or 2 on from that they can easily market: RuneScape: The Eastern Lands. And litteraly release a real expansion.

Once they had their things together. Reaching out to the main youtubers would of been a great thing to do.

People such as the Yogscast, PewDiePie, Syndicate could easily have an influence in players.

Combat,

For combat I would of taken on the power creep problem by adding a simple small tiered lifepoint boost. Allowing space to not be 1 hit KOd and higher level items. Magic and range items would of been released with new engaging content rather than being thrown into the game. The main problem was evertime Jagex added a monster or a quest the rewards were litteraly mostly melee based. They had a choice to balance countless times.

To make it more fun and engaging. This is purely down to the developers to be creative. Jagex could at least of posted a thread saying they wanted players to submit monster mechanic ideas that they were interested in. The compiled a guideline guide to the basics of monster creation for their developers to look at when needed.

In my opinion the game still has a lot of life left in it. Mod Mark and the lead dev's are smart enough to finish the updates in the mainland then they will move onto an Eastern Lands expansion that i believe will be their biggest chance to revitalize scape.

• Like 1

Low_C.png

In my opinion the game still has a lot of life left in it. Mod Mark and the lead dev's are smart enough to finish the updates in the mainland then they will move onto an Eastern Lands expansion that i believe will be their biggest chance to revitalize scape.

Theres not a grand amount to finish up. They could easily do that while working on the east for a few years. Concidering they use their resources well. Think of it as a good long term EoC. Without the mess up. I personaly would love to see Mod Osborne take on the eastern lands lore from scratch.

Yeah I wouldn't mind a year of updating the current game via small fixes, mini-game reworks, stuff of that sort while they put the bulk of their dev's on an eastern lands expansion. It would be great for the current game as well as growth.

Low_C.png

As a long time F2Per, I liked RuneScape for several reasons. One was how simple the interface was, point and click. Two was that the game wasn't demanding, and that I could play it on an old 1.5ghz single core processor with 512mb of ram for a long time. Three was that the game wasn't complicated, which is to say I had everything I needed to know figured out without having to do more research. Fourth was that I looked forward to the holiday event every three months.

Jamflex has since "improved" RuneScape in each of these categories, and it doesn't fit my tastes.

I don't enjoy having to use my keyboard to do anything but type "hello" to other players, but even that isn't simple anymore. I forget to press enter first, and I change some setting accidentally.

I know my laptop isn't some $2000 alienware gaming rig, but I'd appreciate it if I could get the game to load with a good frame rate without maxing my CPU out. I value game play over eye candy 10 times out of 10, and RuneScapes became more shine than substance.

I used to know the dozen training spots I could go to get melee experience, and where to go when they were busy. Now the only thing I know is deadly red spiders, but it doesn't matter anymore because I don't want to invest time to relearn PvP. I wouldn't call myself a PKer but that was one of the better aspects of the game.

Lastly, the holiday events seem to be community things where I need to trawl the RSOF to figure out important details such as what time I need to be logged on and what world I need to be. I preferred the quest every easter, halloween, and xmas. You know, the ones you can complete in a sitting and you get some cool outfit afterwards.

Also, 22 empty F2P worlds? Given their old model, that's not a sign of a growing game.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

The interface is still point and click. You can still play it on a relatively low end pc. I don't know what the third point means since you obviously had to learn the game in the first place. And finally, the last holiday event was the simplest one I've seen in years. Literally run around and catch butterflies. Basically what I see is that it's not so much a specific change that put you off, just change in general.

ive got a feeling we'll be having this discussion again in 2016, heh.

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]