What is your "go to" alcoholic drink?

Th3_Crusader

• 5 months later...

Amaretto and coke is amazing, but I can't drink it regularly or I get way too drunk because it doesn't taste like alcohol at all.

After going through a few different drinks I've settled on a double club and coke as my main drink when I'm out. If I'm drinking beer I usually go for Kieth's.

Amaretto and coke is amazing, but I can't drink it regularly or I get way too drunk because it doesn't taste like alcohol at all.

After going through a few different drinks I've settled on a double club and coke as my main drink when I'm out. If I'm drinking beer I usually go for Kieth's.

Yea, it's a mother[bleep]er with how it sneaks up on you.

aah.png

aah.png
aah.png

aah.png

People in glass houses should shower in the basement.

Just spent $22 on two beers yesterday, some Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA. Literally $10 plus tax for each 12 oz bottle. It better be very tasty.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

• 1 month later...

Summertime: Gin and tonic w/ lime, preferably Bombay Sapphire or Nolet's Silver

Autumn: Usually switch to scotch neats, either Johnnie or Glenlivet

Winter: Brandy/Whisky Old Fashioned, which according to Lewis Black is the unofficial drink of Wisconsin. Can rarely find a bartender who can make them properly in New England.

Spring: Stoli Vodka Gimlet

I'll drink pretty much any beer, but New Glarus Brewing Co.'s Spotted Cow is the best beer I've ever had in my life. Despite being one of the most popular beers in Wiscosin, the brewing company refuses to sell outside of the state. A guy I know who managed a bar in New York used to make keg runs until the company threatened prosecution. If you're ever in the state, do not leave without trying it.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

• 2 weeks later...

As an avid beer-head, I've taken to trying a new beer almost everytime I go out. Here's some for you guys to try -- should they be available. Hangar 24 is my favorite overall, so I'll start with those beers.

Hangar 24 - Altbier -Caramel, clean, perfect red ale. Finishes slightly bitter with a hint of chocolate. Absolutely perfect.

Hangar 24 - Orange Wheat - It's similar to Blue Moon, which is a Belgian White, but it's just now as heavy. Tastes better, too.

Hangar 24 - Chocolate Porter - A dessert beer. Chocolate, vanilla, and a somewhat bitter-sweet aftertaste. I recommend it if you're having something like a Creme Brule for dessert.

Hangar 24 - Amarillo Pale Ale - Very powerful hop flavor and aroma. Some delicious-ass caramel background.

Hangar 24 - Double IPA - Heavy tropical flavor. If you drink 2 or 3 of these quickly, you're gonna feel it.

--

Stella Artios - Euro Pale Lager. Most everyone has had Stella at one time or another. It's pretty skunky out of the bottle, but on tap it's crisp and refreshing. Not as light as a typical light beer such as Coors or Bud, but not too heavy either. One of my favorites.

--

Goose Island - IPA, the classic. This is my personal favorite out of their IPA's.  Fruity, hoppy, and a delicious aroma.

Goose Island - Ten Hills IPA. All the way from Idaho. Herby, citrusy, delicious.

Goose Island - Matilda. This is my second favorite beer of ALL time. It's just so damn good. Beautiful cider-esque color, dried fruit aromas with a bit if spice and a great finish. Goes down smoothly.

--

Rustic Rye IPA - Orange, floral, with a nice dry and bitter finish. Probably my second favorite IPA next to Goose Island.

I'll add some more a bit later. I have a list on my computer of all of the beers I love. Hope you guys get to try some!

Big fan of anything by Stone Brewing Co.

Don't really like talking about beer because snobbish and all that. It's like politics sometimes.

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

Most of my favorite beers are hyper-local, which means talking about them online outside of a beer community is basically worthless since no one can actually get them.

However, if anyone is ever in the Connecticut area and is super lucky, try Ghandi-Bot by New England Brewing Company.  It's my personal favorite beer out of probably around 100 different varieties I've had (most of them being IPA's or Double IPA's).  It's really tough to find unless you actually go to the brewery though.

I've really let my beeradvocate account go by the wayside, I'll have to try to improve on writing something up whenever I have a new beer.

Also as a side-note, if anyone has any good Stout or Porter recommendations, I'd love to hear them.  Preferably something that I can get in New England. And that isn't Guinness .

15cbz0y.jpg

As I live across the pond I can't really tell what you even have available.

But my favourite beers are also porters. Best one I've had was a white chocolate porter. Nice and creamy, but it was discontinued.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

I have a far below average sense of taste. I doubt I could distinguish a Hershey's bar from some crazy gourmet Dutch chocolate. I didn't start drinking until I turned 21. Due to these things, I feel that I'm far behind on the level of alcoholic knowledge I should have at my age (22). I don't have a favorite anything when it comes to booze and I'd like to be more knowledgeable in this field. I'm probably one of the least picky people you'll ever meet when it comes to food and drink, but I feel like at the very least I should have a favorite beer or something. What do I need to do to not come across as, well, me (In terms of alcohol)?

If you can, try to give some thought to what you're drinking while you're drinking it. Try to pick out characteristics, starting with things like "bitter" or "sweet".  Read reviews and see what other people are saying and then see if you can pick out the same things.  If you can't, it's not the end of the world. There's nothing wrong with not having a refined taste in beer (or anything else for that matter).  I personally though all beer was the same and tasted like piss up until shortly before I was 21.

If you're worried about it for the sake of appearance, I would you suggest you tell people that you don't have a favorite because your favorite part is trying something new.  That said, it might be worth it to have a few ideas on what you could say are your favorites.  Pick maybe one or two mid-range beers (something that you can get up to a 12 pack of) and one more expensive beer (something that comes in 6 packs or even 4 packs).

Honestly, the take home here is that if you don't find enjoyment in beer (or at least the taste of beer), there's no reason to force yourself to try to enjoy it.  If you want a generalized list of beer types and what they're like though, I could write one up for you or link you to something.

---------------

As far as liquor, I would say literally chose based on price-point. I'm not too well versed myself, but I would say that vodka is probably the least nuanced and a good vodka is one you don't taste.  Something like whisky is probably a good choice if you're trying to present yourself as "sophisticated", but that won't happen no matter what you're drinking if you're just railing shots anyways.  I personally like spiced rum for mixed drinks, things like coke or ginger beer. Cheap whisky is good with ginger ale, good whisky is probably best drank neat or on the rocks.  I don't understand gin, so do with that as you will.  Obviously this is all my personal opinion, so take everything as such.  My liquor knowledge is essentially limited to taking shots and making mixed drinks that consist of one alcohol type and one mixer.

Also [bleep], this is the longest post I've ever written. My priorities are obviously skewed toward alcohol consumption.

15cbz0y.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Summertime: Gin and tonic w/ lime, preferably Bombay Sapphire or Nolet's Silver

Autumn: Usually switch to scotch neats, either Johnnie or Glenlivet

Winter: Brandy/Whisky Old Fashioned, which according to Lewis Black is the unofficial drink of Wisconsin. Can rarely find a bartender who can make them properly in New England.

Spring: Stoli Vodka Gimlet

I'll drink pretty much any beer, but New Glarus Brewing Co.'s Spotted Cow is the best beer I've ever had in my life. Despite being one of the most popular beers in Wiscosin, the brewing company refuses to sell outside of the state. A guy I know who managed a bar in New York used to make keg runs until the company threatened prosecution. If you're ever in the state, do not leave without trying it.

+1 for spotted cow, it's glorious.

My favorite that I've ever had was a Gulden Draak quadruple.

2s0cxth.png

• 3 weeks later...

I made a quasi-daiquiri just now. I say quasi-daiquiri instead of just daiquiri because I used pineapple rum instead of regular rum, lemon juice instead of lime juice, and sugar instead of simple syrup. It was easier to drink than straight liquor. Usually when I drink liquor, I just pour about 6 shots into a cup, chug it, and get pretty drunk. Alcohol seems to affect me pretty quickly, and honestly, I don't feel much more buzzed than if I had 1 beer, which I guess is to be expected because I only used 2 oz of the pineapple rum.

In a good way or a bad way? Like, if I got invited to a party or something, would chugging 6 shots (which I thought was 9 oz (The shot glass I used to measure it was 1.5 oz)) impress people? I've been to a bar a total of two times in my life and both times the people I was with just drank beer, so that's what I did. The other day, one of my friends told me it's normal to drink 8 shots in a day, but it only just occurred to me that people other than myself probably space them out to prevent the coughing fit I have after chugging that much. I know very little about alcohol drinking etiquette, so any information you (or anyone) could provide to me would be cool beans.

Chugging 6 shots is insane. I have trouble with 3 in a row.

But I could chug alot when I was a rookie aswell, nowadays my natural barriers get in the way before...

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc