20-Aug-2013 - Divination

Saradomin_Mage

If you detest the skill so much, why are you even bothering to train it?

That has absolutely no relevance to the point he was trying to make. The race is irrelevant in the long run, something that will last for less than 3 weeks. That's separate from his opinion on the skill entirely. The SoF will be available for the long run, and it's a fair bet to assume that within the coming months, divination xp will be obtainable from it. The "race" will be a flash in the pan and the high scores, which are being played up by hyping the race along with the integrity of them, will soon be influenced by bonus exp be it SoF lamps or hoarded pendants...or tears, or troll invasion, or JoT whatever. For a skill that has such low rates (not a bad thing) then any bonus exp will be pretty influential.

And anyway, it's far more valid a point to make than arguing opinions.

Kimberly has grasped the matter perfectly and spared me the need to explain myself in great detail.

As for the skill, my current feeling is negative (because of how slow it is), but I expect it will change as I progress. As for why I am doing it? I am doing for the same reason I and everyone else in the game (well, almost everyone) do this sort of stuff, for the rewards, not because we like grinding as if we were zombies for hours on end. That's not really relevant to my broader point, though:

The question, which I will pose again, is this: why is the rest of the player base being forbidden to use bonus experience when we don't care at all about who is going to be the first player to 99 Divination. It has absolutely no meaning to me or most players; we are not part of that competition, so why are we being forced for the next 3 weeks or whatever, to do this, just to placate a bunch of people, an extremely small minority, who have misplaced priorities?

And completely undermined the legitimacy of the race to 99.

I hope they wait at least until someone gets 99 before they allow lamps to be used.

Legitimacy of player "achievements" vs profits. I'm honestly surprised they didn't choose the second.

Oh, but they have chosen the profitable way. You see, if they made it spinnable right away, the hardcore player base (the top 1000 or whatever) would complain and be discouraged. This way, by prolonging the spins and the bonus, they can have their little parade about who made it first to 99 'legit' (as if anyone cares), and then the next big charade can start about who will be the first to 200M, and then the spins will be available. By that point, the top players will be too hooked in to resist the temptation, and 200M is such a hard goal, that spins will seem even more favorable, and Jagex will make plenty of money.

I'm guessing this would end up like Agility, where many will choose to dump every possible bonus exp into Divination without really touching the skill itself.

"I never train Agility because it's too tedious, I just dump every possible bonus/extra exp into that skill" would become "I never train Divination because it's too tedious, I just dump every possible bonus/extra exp into that skill"

• Like 3

I'm guessing this would end up like Agility, where many will choose to dump every possible bonus exp into Divination without really touching the skill itself.

"I never train Agility because it's too tedious, I just dump every possible bonus/extra exp into that skill" would become "I never train Divination because it's too tedious, I just dump every possible bonus/extra exp into that skill"

Guilty as charged. I'm done with this until bonus XP becomes available for use.

weathermatt.png

diy_wmatt.png

Of course. If you make things boring and tedious, then... surprise, people won't want to do them! 26 skills later and they still haven't learned anything on that topic.

Of course. If you make things boring and tedious, then... surprise, people won't want to do them! 26 skills later and they still haven't learned anything on that topic.

Well I mean

Comp capes are reason enough to do anything

• Like 1

I would put money on it being some sort of Artificing. The like of using Divine Energy to power machinations and weapons with the power of the gods. (a la Sixth Age Circuit)

I can see a very good lore battle between Diviners who want to heal the Anima Mundi using divine energy, and Artificers who want to tear the world apart to get as much energy as possible, with no regard for nature.

And for balancing purposes, the World Guardian should have 99 in both. For balance!

• Like 1

I think they disable bonus XP and what not intentionally to force players to play through the lower levels of content in their entirety in order to collect better feedback on first impressions, common grouses and the like.

For instance, the Frozen floor experience and XP rates were greatly adjusted and improved after a lot of player feedback on their initially impressions on Dungeoneering, with XP rates being doubled for the low levels and bosses tweaked to be less difficult. If everyone had just TOG'd through the initial stages, Dungeoneering's starting levels would still be a slower and more difficult grind.

The XP race for first to 99/200M will only last briefly, but the initial experience will be something that everyone will have to take a part in, and by getting feedback on how to improve it they can benefit a lot more people positively.

• Like 8

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

I think they disable bonus XP and what not intentionally to force players to play through the lower levels of content in their entirety in order to collect better feedback on first impressions, common grouses and the like.

For instance, the Frozen floor experience and XP rates were greatly adjusted and improved after a lot of player feedback on their initially impressions on Dungeoneering, with XP rates being doubled for the low levels and bosses tweaked to be less difficult. If everyone had just TOG'd through the initial stages, Dungeoneering's starting levels would still be a slower and more difficult grind.

I very much doubt that feedback is the reason for this delay. For the most part Jagex is extremely slow and reluctant on feedback, if they do make any major tweaks based on feedback, it will be much later down the road. The 3 weeks really won't do much if anything at all. I mean, it was like a whole year later when some of the most basic things (resource spaces, Hex drop rate, dungeoneering slayer drops 30 second rule) were changed about dungeoneering, and that was after much requesting on the forums and elsewhere.

The XP race for first to 99/200M will only last briefly, but the initial experience will be something that everyone will have to take a part in, and by getting feedback on how to improve it they can benefit a lot more people positively.

From my understanding, most people don't really care about the lower levels. They try to dart past them, and then that's it. It's not really something that's revised or something I see suggestions about often. Forcing us through this seems to be a waste of time and counterproductive.

I very much doubt that feedback is the reason for this delay. For the most part Jagex is extremely slow and reluctant on feedback, if they do make any major tweaks based on feedback, it will be much later down the road. The 3 weeks really won't do much if anything at all. I mean, it was like a whole year later when some of the most basic things (resource spaces, Hex drop rate, dungeoneering slayer drops 30 second rule) were changed about dungeoneering, and that was after much requesting on the forums and elsewhere.

By forcing players to play through the lower levels, they're able to collect feedback, and even if they don't they are still able to monitor current gameplay and see how the players are doing. They've been watching XP rates recently on Divination and apparently everything is going fine by their standards, and we're getting XP rates around that which they expected. Whether or not they subsequently act on feedback or not is entirely different, but now they have actual data on player rates compared to their testing equivalents.

From my understanding, most people don't really care about the lower levels. They try to dart past them, and then that's it. It's not really something that's revised or something I see suggestions about often. Forcing us through this seems to be a waste of time and counterproductive.

My point here was that there will be players who get through the low levels of a skill by actually training that skill, be it out of interest or the lack of desire to metagame. Improving the early level experience (not to be confused with XP) of a skill gives off a better impression/feel to these players. Dungeoneering looked extremely poor in 2011 when the fastest way to go from level 1 to 30something was simply to spend all your bonus XP on it, so the lower levelled experience was revised to give a better play experience.
  • Like 1

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Nerf I hear?

4081b27a1d03762fd99d07b512ddd0a0.png

nerf already went live later that evening!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

Just hit 70 Divination earlier. The exp from 70-80 is about 1.25M At the rate of about 40-45K exp an hour the folks here have been averaging that means 28 hours of solid Divination before 80.

I wonder how the attrition rate will compare with the weekend rush. This Tier is where the stretches between levels turn from an hour into hours. i.e. Things Get Interesting. Woo!

This Tier is where the stretches between levels turn from an hour into hours. i.e. Things Get Interesting. Woo!

Well... that depends on how interesting your life is, I suppose. I find it interesting that you find that interesting, anyway.

Well I mean

Uh. No. Not really.

For you perhaps. And myself too; I'm not playing RuneScape right now, but my experience of the game is that I essentially don't care about skillcapes (either mine or anyone else's).

It's a clash of personalities, though. Some people find exploring the process of obtaining max xp/hr towards goal X absolutely fascinating. I'd rather blow my brains out. But there's no shortage of players grinding for skillcapes, that's for sure.

This Tier is where the stretches between levels turn from an hour into hours. i.e. Things Get Interesting. Woo!

Well... that depends on how interesting your life is, I suppose. I find it interesting that you find that interesting, anyway.

Well I mean

Uh. No. Not really.

For you perhaps. And myself too; I'm not playing RuneScape right now, but my experience of the game is that I essentially don't care about skillcapes (either mine or anyone else's).

It's a clash of personalities, though. Some people find exploring the process of obtaining max xp/hr towards goal X absolutely fascinating. I'd rather blow my brains out. But there's no shortage of players grinding for skillcapes, that's for sure.

I guess a lot depends on who you play with. My clan is very laid back and doesn't skill very aggressively or chase after capes. But many of my old friends have become those types and I get plenty of messages from them. I don't begrudge them for being excited or choosing to spend their time this way. In the same way, they don't look down on me for well, literally having hundreds of total levels less than them.

Conversation I had earlier with a noob. (was at the digsite place so no one knows anything about the skill yet).

Random guy: I Like divination it seems like a good skill.

Noob: Why? Because its easy? Typical.

Me: What skill is hard? Dungeneering or farming maybe?

Noob: Non they are all easy. Hence Typical.

Me: wut?

Noob has logged out.

bOqB3.gif

The_Diamond.png

1593th to 99 Farming - July 08.

Conversation I had earlier with a noob. (was at the digsite place so no one knows anything about the skill yet).

Random guy: I Like divination it seems like a good skill.

Noob: Why? Because its easy? Typical.

Me: What skill is hard? Dungeneering or farming maybe?

Noob: Non they are all easy. Hence Typical.

Me: wut?

Noob has logged out.

bOqB3.gif

everything is the same, therefore boring? nice insane troll logic there....

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]