20-Aug-2013 - Divination

Saradomin_Mage

Well making a skill slow goes againt the recent trend of everything being ridiculously fast. This is a positive thing as far as I'm concerned, but you still have to ask why they reversed that trend. I am training divination to at least 99, so I still play.

Asmodean <3

1 runite = 6 adamantite = 18 mithril = 54 coal = 162 iron = 486 tin/copper

10,489gp = 26,244gp /31,104gp

1 dragonstone = 5 diamond = 15 ruby = 45 emerald = 135 sapphire

10,631 = 49,005gp

1 magic = 3 yew = 9 maple = 27 oak = 81 normal

1,658gp = 32,076gp

1 monkfish = 3 bass = 9 tuna = 27 trout = 81 shrimp/anchovies/crayfish/sardines

322gp = 810gp /1296gp /6075gp /3240gp

Jagex should let us make iron from coal, yew from magic etc. It would change prices a bit, now alomst all of transmutations are wortless.

• Like 1

Silmarilli.pngSilmarils_Hc.png

Silmarilli.png

Silmarilli.png

With people talking of batch 2:

Remember this is just the gathering skill with a few extras to allow them to release the artisan skill to match it later. Any sort of 'batch 2' is likely just going to te 'proper' produce of the skill as seen in the next skill.

After all this is just the mining, woodcutting or fishing part of the pair; the cooking, fletching or smithing part is skill 2.

• Like 4

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

10,631 = 49,005gp

1,658gp = 32,076gp

Jagex should let us make iron from coal, yew from magic etc. It would change prices a bit, now alomst all of transmutations are wortless.

It's not really meant to be used this way I think. It's mainly used to turn the materials you don't need to materials you do need.

terravir.png

10,631 = 49,005gp

1,658gp = 32,076gp

It's not really meant to be used this way I think. It's mainly used to turn the materials you don't need to materials you do need.

Yeah but then you can sell those lower materials and buy the others and have left over cash to buy more ;D

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

10,631 = 49,005gp

1,658gp = 32,076gp

so I will sell materials that I don't need and buy materials that I need. And I will get more materials that I want.

Silmarilli.pngSilmarils_Hc.png

Silmarilli.png

Silmarilli.png

I'm going to ask this sort of question again... Am I the only one who thinks that these wisps should be more randomly located in larger areas and not have deposits exactly where the skill is trained? Maybe they could compensate it with little extra XP. Q nicely summed it up that this skill feels like same thing over and over again. You don't have to search for the resources (energy) and you don't have to make any logistic decisions to decide would it be better to collect and walk straight to the deposit, or collect and bank the resources. It doesn't feel like a gathering skill. Even the whatever upgrades you can create from the skill can be made wherever you are simply weaving the energy. How about some sort of special place (similar to anvils, ovens, fires etc.) where you could weave these energies?

I know alot of these things would make this skill require more thinking and planning than just getting there and mindlessly clicking wisps and then depositting. This skill doesn't require any sort of tools or anything to get prepared. You just walk to a place and start doing this mindnumbing thing.

I'm not saying the skill is particularly bad or horrible to train (compared to skills like hunter or agility) but it feels very lazy and useless design suited for even more lazier playerbase of this game.

Also to whoever pointed out about a level 20 commenting the whole skill - fair point. Usually I wouldn't but I can't see how training or design of this skill is going to change in any way as I progress.

• Like 1

u5zhkTY.gif

Hopefully a lot of the debate about the fun and usefulness of Divination will become clearer as the complementary skill news starts coming out. Artificing/Engineer/or Whatever it is could present interesting craftable choices. A pity it seems to be slated for early 2014. That said, the divination rewards do seem like they can have clever uses. I just haven't thought of any yet since I'm still busy leveling...

• Like 2

Has anyone considered that the permanent boons would help at higher levels?

Except they don't...

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

Account Help

I'm looking forward to trying it out when I get back to home.

I don't mind if it's slow to train. It seems like levels come too fast (for levels under 60 anyway).

The game would have more meat if it was harder to obtain levels and the skills you unlock had more impact.

Zildie.png

b072c3a867bfbcd6c9dc7f01d39684a4.png

I wish they would just make up their mind on whether it's coming out this year or next year :unsure:

QFC?

Account Help

b072c3a867bfbcd6c9dc7f01d39684a4.png

I wish they would just make up their mind on whether it's coming out this year or next year :unsure:

QFC?

Not a forum thread, the FAQ at the bottom of the official Wiki Entry.

(Before anyone asks: No, it was not edited by a player to say that. I checked.)

Binary_Mage.pngxJgdnyi.png

The Fallen Diviner

I think what would be good is:

1) Research in libraries is required to get recipes (you also get xp).

2) You take damage from actually siphoning wisps.

3) Wisps are spread out more, like implings, and are less visible, like stryewyrms.

4) Magic, prayer and summoning will be helpful here - magic for tracking wisps, prayer for protecting against damage and summoning for healing, for example.

5) Obtained energy/memories is analyzed in laboratories (Wizards Tower, Magic Guild, places like that - PoH, too). This gives you xp, too.

6) Energy is refined at laboratories, too.

• Like 7

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

I think what would be good is:

1) Research in libraries is required to get recipes (you also get xp).

2) You take damage from actually siphoning wisps.

3) Wisps are spread out more, like implings, and are less visible, like stryewyrms.

4) Magic, prayer and summoning will be helpful here - magic for tracking wisps, prayer for protecting against damage and summoning for healing, for example.

5) Obtained energy/memories is analyzed in laboratories (Wizards Tower, Magic Guild, places like that - PoH, too). This gives you xp, too.

6) Energy is refined at laboratories, too.

The only problem I have with this is 5 & possibly 6 (assuming refining gives xp?) would make divination buyable and idk if I like that. The skill feels like it's missing a lot... After 44 levels I'm not very impressed and it sounds like the next 55 levels will be just about the same in different locations. Idk maybe if it was pushed back and released with the second skill it would be a lot less underwhelming.

• Like 1

The xp is low, the skill is boring, the skill is unimaginative...

For me, the skill doesn't have any depth at all. Nothing says that I still have awesome things to discover after doing the first 37 levels. From here on, it's all going to be the same - actually, from level 10 on, it's all going to be the same.

Also I don't have a clue what I'm actually doing. For the current non-real life skills I can sort of imagine how the training method is relevant to the skill: I can understand Slayer, Dungeoneering, even Runecrafting (though span kinda dented that). For Divination, I don't feel like my character is learning anything. I'm just moving to a different place each time and repeating what I did before. I'm not unlocking new training methods - to all the people who said Dungeoneering isn't a skill because you train it in one place - here's Divination.

At least skills like fishing have different tools, different fish you can catch for different mixes of afk/gp/xp/apm. You can use SC harpoons, C2 fishing, FOG gloves, urns, familiars, Flingers, the fishing outfit - lots of things you can bother with (or not). Divination is always, at every level, 100% the same as the level before. I don't mind that in a skill like prayer, because it's fast, but for a skill like Divination, which is the slowest in the game, it's killing.

Basically, the Divination release feels like they released a training method, rather than a skill. This should've been a way to train magic, runecrafting, summoning and your lowest skill (hi Guthix) all at once, but Jagex just really wanted a new skill - and they had no more material. It seems to me there is just very little content in this skill. Even if you allow for the fact that the previous release was far better than average, it should measure up to Dungeoneering better.

P.S. At least up to level 40, the hunter xp/h is way higher than the Divination xp/h. Possibly at higher levels as well. This for the most efficient way to train the skill.

While I agree with a lot of this post, definitely that part that it shouldn't have been a skill in itself, but a training method, I do have to disagree with the part comparing it to fishing. Fishing came out when RS did (correct me if wrong?). Estimating release dates here, but the point stands. SC 2009, C2 2011, FOG 2007, urns 2012, familiars 2008, flingers 2012, fishing outfit 2013? Basically I think that's an unfair comparison on a one-day old skill, and when the variety-filled fishing came out, you would have said the same thing about it.

I did wonder whether the time required per resource may dramatically decline and the xp per dramatically increase as the levels go up. (Like if in woodcutting a mage log was 1.5k xp, it would be competitive XP but at a relaxed pace type thing). But I'm not seeing any trend to suggest that...

I keep seeing the comparisons of divination to mining/fishing without smithing/cooking. I think they're good comparisons. But who would ever release mining without smithing, it's mad. Jagex should at least give some hints towards what the 2014(?) skill will require in the way of resources gathered by divination. How valuable are the energies we may be chucking away on divination. It could be the equivalent of power-mining runite (ok slightly bad analogy..)..

LgEZt.png

Ya I'd like to know if using these energies for xp to train divination isn't costing me millions in potential profit when the next skill is released.

I thought about this. Most of the things available for us to make take only a few energies. Add to the fact that they gather pretty fast, I've decided to lvl and not worry about the future, at least for these first few days. I can always go back and collect them when the time comes.

I think the skill is great. It has slowed down the ADD-tendancied community. In addition to that, by having the depositories rigt near the gatherig, everyone who's doing the school is doing it together - there is community being built.

Yeah, the skill is going to be a pain in the ass to get to 99, and there are alot of things better to be done (and in time, if we are lucky, JAGeX will implement mpre updates - personally I think a graphical update to the nodes, wisps, etc would be super), but the skill has only just been released. Give it some time.

Also if you guys haven't noticed when you do some of the "weaving" of the energies you need some items outside of the skill to make different things, so it incorporates more than alot of you are letting on.