Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

20-Aug-2013 - Divination

• Please log in to reply
609 replies to this topic

Robert_R
[ Display Name History ]

Robert_R

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,026 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN '07:Robertr1

I think what would be good is:
1) Research in libraries is required to get recipes (you also get xp).
2) You take damage from actually siphoning wisps.
3) Wisps are spread out more, like implings, and are less visible, like stryewyrms.
4) Magic, prayer and summoning will be helpful here - magic for tracking wisps, prayer for protecting against damage and summoning for healing, for example.
5) Obtained energy/memories is analyzed in laboratories (Wizards Tower, Magic Guild, places like that - PoH, too). This gives you xp, too.
6) Energy is refined at laboratories, too.

The only problem I have with this is 5 & possibly 6 (assuming refining gives xp?) would make divination buyable and idk if I like that. The skill feels like it's missing a lot... After 44 levels I'm not very impressed and it sounds like the next 55 levels will be just about the same in different locations. Idk maybe if it was pushed back and released with the second skill it would be a lot less underwhelming.
  • Syd likes this

crazycdcm
[ Display Name History ]

crazycdcm

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 526 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Vodka

The xp is low, the skill is boring, the skill is unimaginative...

For me, the skill doesn't have any depth at all. Nothing says that I still have awesome things to discover after doing the first 37 levels. From here on, it's all going to be the same - actually, from level 10 on, it's all going to be the same.

Also I don't have a clue what I'm actually doing. For the current non-real life skills I can sort of imagine how the training method is relevant to the skill: I can understand Slayer, Dungeoneering, even Runecrafting (though span kinda dented that). For Divination, I don't feel like my character is learning anything. I'm just moving to a different place each time and repeating what I did before. I'm not unlocking new training methods - to all the people who said Dungeoneering isn't a skill because you train it in one place - here's Divination.

At least skills like fishing have different tools, different fish you can catch for different mixes of afk/gp/xp/apm. You can use SC harpoons, C2 fishing, FOG gloves, urns, familiars, Flingers, the fishing outfit - lots of things you can bother with (or not). Divination is always, at every level, 100% the same as the level before. I don't mind that in a skill like prayer, because it's fast, but for a skill like Divination, which is the slowest in the game, it's killing.

Basically, the Divination release feels like they released a training method, rather than a skill. This should've been a way to train magic, runecrafting, summoning and your lowest skill (hi Guthix) all at once, but Jagex just really wanted a new skill - and they had no more material. It seems to me there is just very little content in this skill. Even if you allow for the fact that the previous release was far better than average, it should measure up to Dungeoneering better.

P.S. At least up to level 40, the hunter xp/h is way higher than the Divination xp/h. Possibly at higher levels as well. This for the most efficient way to train the skill.

While I agree with a lot of this post, definitely that part that it shouldn't have been a skill in itself, but a training method, I do have to disagree with the part comparing it to fishing. Fishing came out when RS did (correct me if wrong?). Estimating release dates here, but the point stands. SC 2009, C2 2011, FOG 2007, urns 2012, familiars 2008, flingers 2012, fishing outfit 2013? Basically I think that's an unfair comparison on a one-day old skill, and when the variety-filled fishing came out, you would have said the same thing about it.

I did wonder whether the time required per resource may dramatically decline and the xp per dramatically increase as the levels go up. (Like if in woodcutting a mage log was 1.5k xp, it would be competitive XP but at a relaxed pace type thing). But I'm not seeing any trend to suggest that...

I keep seeing the comparisons of divination to mining/fishing without smithing/cooking. I think they're good comparisons. But who would ever release mining without smithing, it's mad. Jagex should at least give some hints towards what the 2014(?) skill will require in the way of resources gathered by divination. How valuable are the energies we may be chucking away on divination. It could be the equivalent of power-mining runite (ok slightly bad analogy..)..

Robert_R
[ Display Name History ]

Robert_R

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,026 posts
  • RSN '07:Robertr1
Ya I'd like to know if using these energies for xp to train divination isn't costing me millions in potential profit when the next skill is released.

ArtemisCatal
[ Display Name History ]

ArtemisCatal

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • RSN:ArtemisCatal

Ya I'd like to know if using these energies for xp to train divination isn't costing me millions in potential profit when the next skill is released.

I thought about this. Most of the things available for us to make take only a few energies. Add to the fact that they gather pretty fast, I've decided to lvl and not worry about the future, at least for these first few days. I can always go back and collect them when the time comes.

constrictor
[ Display Name History ]

constrictor

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 549 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Accia
I think the skill is great. It has slowed down the ADD-tendancied community. In addition to that, by having the depositories rigt near the gatherig, everyone who's doing the school is doing it together - there is community being built.

Yeah, the skill is going to be a pain in the ass to get to 99, and there are alot of things better to be done (and in time, if we are lucky, JAGeX will implement mpre updates - personally I think a graphical update to the nodes, wisps, etc would be super), but the skill has only just been released. Give it some time.

Also if you guys haven't noticed when you do some of the "weaving" of the energies you need some items outside of the skill to make different things, so it incorporates more than alot of you are letting on.

Binary Mage
[ Display Name History ]

Binary Mage

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 297 posts
  • RSN:Binary Mage
  • Clan:Evolve
A few things I've found:

1) I wouldn't be too worried about stockpiling Divine Energy for the second skill. If you choose to convert Memories into bonus Energy, it's quite a good exchange rate, to the point where it will be much easier to get large amounts once we aren't focusing on experience. Most of us should be more concerned about XP than stockpiling for now :P

2) It seems that Chronicle Fragments are instanced to the person who they spawn for, and after a short period (I'd say 4 seconds or so) after they appear for everyone. Don't get discouraged if you can't get any, as eventually you should have one spawn specifically for you. It makes an interesting sound effect when this happens. There seems to be some that spawn randomly from the ground as well, and instantly appear for anyone to grab.

3) Max seems to stay at the tier below that of the person with the highest Divination level--either on the world or globally. (These are both currently the same so its hard to tell atm)
Posted ImagePosted Image

The Fallen Diviner

Platinum_Myr
[ Display Name History ]

Platinum_Myr

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • RSN:Serena Sedai
  • RSN2:Fyora Serena
  • Clan:The Knighted Angels

<snip>
5) Obtained energy/memories is analyzed in laboratories (Wizards Tower, Magic Guild, places like that - PoH, too). This gives you xp, too.
6) Energy is refined at laboratories, too.

The only problem I have with this is 5 &amp; possibly 6 (assuming refining gives xp?) would make divination buyable and idk if I like that...

How would 5 or 6 make divination buyable? Q never mentioned anything about trading the collected energy...

EDIT: found out that energy is currently tradable. However you could limit this to only refined energy and not raw collected energy.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Quyneax
[ Display Name History ]

Quyneax

Aes Sedai

• Members
  • 11,297 posts
  • RSN:Mierin
^Exactly.

Further suggestions for Divination as magical science skill that studies energy deposits & their uses:
1) Ability to unlock our Guthixian post-TWW powers to cast spells without elemental runes - magical equivalent of genetic manipulation.
2) The ability to construct a soul altar.
3) The ability to create recipes would be ideal - essentially hundreds of different possible recipes - also point 1 on my previous list ofc.
4) Unlocking new abilities based on the same principle as 1.

@Fishing comparison: Quite true, but since all those things are released now, they could be tied in to Divination on Divination's release, right? There is no tie-in with past content at all. For relatively old skills, like runecrafting, that's not a big problem, but we're years past that and those years need to tie in somehow.
Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions
99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)
99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)
99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)
99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)
99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)
Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring
Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace
30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Calm Koala
[ Display Name History ]

Calm Koala

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 290 posts
  • RSN:Calm Koala
Anyone tried C6 DG yet to see how div works?

Posted Image

Binary Mage
[ Display Name History ]

Binary Mage

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 297 posts

Anyone tried C6 DG yet to see how div works?

I had some pictures a few pages back.

For the most part, the only things you can make are the regeneration portents and Portents of Passage, which let you open skill doors that you don't have the level for. (Each tier has a different maximum level difference, up to 20 at the 90+ divination one.)

I haven't yet found any of the skill doors though. I really wanna see what they look like :(
Posted ImagePosted Image

The Fallen Diviner

strilmus
[ Display Name History ]

strilmus

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,910 posts
I like how after they went through the trouble of deforesting the entire charm sprite area, they then go and put spirit wells in the middle of forests

8f14270694.jpg

Sylpheed
[ Display Name History ]

Sylpheed

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,206 posts
  • RSN:Sylpheed
  • RSN2:Eliteice1
  • Clan:Scryers

I like how after they went through the trouble of deforesting the entire charm sprite area, they then go and put spirit wells in the middle of forests

This x1000000000.

strilmus
[ Display Name History ]

strilmus

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,910 posts
it'd be fun using completely unrelated items to create new incomprehensible objects that aren't just item upgrades, in such a way that could not be replicated otherwise

like for instance, a box that spawns sandwiches daily

or a chassis for the orb of oculus so you could control it independently of your player

8f14270694.jpg

Levells
[ Display Name History ]

Levells

Bear Fur

• Monster Hunting Team Leader
  • 409 posts
Guessing everyone's training divination and not mining....

Mining juju's were changed because a new Divination item (the Signs of the Porter) do exactly what the old potion used to do. As a result, we wanted the Mining juju to still have a benefit to those who have higher level Divination (and to those that didn't). When a stone spirit appears it will grant you bonus XP for the time it's around and have a chance to smelt the ore into a bar giving you Smithing XP.

Timbo

QFC: 15-16-209-65123621
But they left wc jujus the same :P

At lvl 48 div, you can make the sign to bank 15 items. Even at 99 div, it's 30 items each. Really sucks. I've got so many juju flasks :(

strilmus
[ Display Name History ]

strilmus

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,910 posts
i guess the woodcutting juju should convert logs into bows?....

8f14270694.jpg

Cerri
[ Display Name History ]

Cerri

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • RSN:Cerri
  • Clan:Slayer Guild V1

Guessing everyone's training divination and not mining....

Mining juju's were changed because a new Divination item (the Signs of the Porter) do exactly what the old potion used to do. As a result, we wanted the Mining juju to still have a benefit to those who have higher level Divination (and to those that didn't). When a stone spirit appears it will grant you bonus XP for the time it's around and have a chance to smelt the ore into a bar giving you Smithing XP.

Timbo

QFC: 15-16-209-65123621
But they left wc jujus the same :P

At lvl 48 div, you can make the sign to bank 15 items. Even at 99 div, it's 30 items each. Really sucks. I've got so many juju flasks :(

This is depressing news. :\

JeRambo
[ Display Name History ]

JeRambo

Cherremy

• Members
  • 2,086 posts
  • Clan:Wicked Fury
They probably didn't change the woodcutting ones because they're not used very often.
Posted Image
"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."
"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

Binary Mage
[ Display Name History ]

Binary Mage

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 297 posts
My friend just made a Tier 2 Herb Divine Location, and had a few clan members help out with it.

Here's my haul (took up about 30% or so of my DL item cap). This is about 30 seconds worth, before it disappeared.

Posted Image

Apparently from three people harvesting the node he got about 10-15 more herbs than the rest of us.

Was very nice. Should be worth it, especially the Tier 3 Herb node.
Posted ImagePosted Image

The Fallen Diviner

strilmus
[ Display Name History ]

strilmus

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,910 posts
everybody's got the same cap on node resources, so he's just getting them faster

8f14270694.jpg

Binary Mage
[ Display Name History ]

Binary Mage

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 297 posts

everybody's got the same cap on node resources, so he's just getting them faster

Items received because of other players in Divine Locations actually don't count towards the daily limit. However, you can only ever place one per day, and it only works with up to five players before it stops giving you any additional resources for the rest.
Posted ImagePosted Image

The Fallen Diviner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users