20-Aug-2013 - Divination

Saradomin_Mage

IDK how people can complain it is slow when no one is past level 70

Actually a few people are 70 now =d

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

@Fishing comparison: Quite true, but since all those things are released now, they could be tied in to Divination on Divination's release, right? There is no tie-in with past content at all. For relatively old skills, like runecrafting, that's not a big problem, but we're years past that and those years need to tie in somehow.

But in-game lore wise, this skill has only recently been discovered, and as far as I can tell, you have, as the adventurer RS revolves around, just volunteered to become the leading expert in it, doubly so by being the world guardian...

And no it's not like Runecrafting, because there you merely discovered the means to teleport to the Rune Essence and a shortcut to the altars...

• Like 1

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Expected better from tip it community moaning about a slow skill... Come on guys...

Not everything is handed to you on a plate. Everyone just got used to noob gains and 99 in a week. pfft.

A skill comes out that seems to actually take a bit of effort and everyone goes mental. Lol, its embarrassing.

• Like 1

The_Diamond.png

1593th to 99 Farming - July 08.

Expected better from tip it community moaning about a slow skill... Come on guys...

Not everything is handed to you on a plate. Everyone just got used to noob gains and 99 in a week. pfft.

A skill comes out that seems to actually take a bit of effort and everyone goes mental. Lol, its embarrassing.

Skills are all fast

"This game is too easy"

New skill comes out that is slow as shit

"OMG THIS IS TOO HARD"

(Shit Runescapers say)

• Like 4

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

I guess you didn't bother to read this thread, or even the first 3 pages. Not everyone is claiming this. Some player like Fallstar love it. I enjoy it be it fast or slow. It's very much mixed feeling in this thread. Some love the pace, some wish it had more lore in the very being, other say it's slow, and some are giving good suggestion to improve the skill early on. Don't generalize the entire forum based on the 3 negative post you read.

• Like 2

29386_s.gif

"Goals dont have a deadline." -xxxgod quoting Lady Shahdie

[slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]

@Fishing comparison: Quite true, but since all those things are released now, they could be tied in to Divination on Divination's release, right? There is no tie-in with past content at all. For relatively old skills, like runecrafting, that's not a big problem, but we're years past that and those years need to tie in somehow.

But in-game lore wise, this skill has only recently been discovered, and as far as I can tell, you have, as the adventurer RS revolves around, just volunteered to become the leading expert in it, doubly so by being the world guardian...

And no it's not like Runecrafting, because there you merely discovered the means to teleport to the Rune Essence and a shortcut to the altars...

If I'm at the forefront of a new discipline, I'm damn well going to be using my expertise in other areas and apply the things I discovered there to the new-found things. That means I will try to capture the memories in rune essence, I will try to convert memories into familiars... as far as I know, none of that is possible right now, is it?

I don't think you read very carefully.

Yes, it's slow, at such levels that it is unexpected. After all, we were promised an 'oldschool gathering skill', which means the xp/h goes up very fast in the beginning (compare: every other gathering skill). But the problem is that this skill is basically self-contained. It's so bad that you actually gather stuff, only to throw them away for extra experience! It's like mining concentrated gold where you only get xp for depositing ores.

A bad skill idea can be partially saved by high xp rates and good rewards (e.g. prayer is pretty lame, and firemaking, but those are fast). This skill makes no sense, has no fun mechanics, it doesn't look great, there is nothing interesting about training it, it has low xp/h and the rewards are basically auto-food for afkers.

The game doesn't need more afk, it needs more Dungeoneering.

• Like 9

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

If I'm at the forefront of a new discipline, I'm damn well going to be using my expertise in other areas and apply the things I discovered there to the new-found things. That means I will try to capture the memories in rune essence, I will try to convert memories into familiars... as far as I know, none of that is possible right now, is it?

The way I reasoned around this is that lore time obviously doesn't happen in real time and thus significant events won't happen until Jagex actually implements the content for the lore/skill progression. Thus, the game world is essentially locked in those extremely early days of divination and no actual experimentation has happened yet. It's possible that the first divination quest will involve some sort of cross over knowledge.

From a gameplay point of view while it's nice to have interconnections between lots of skills to make the world feel connected and content cohesive, the reality is that a lot of people dislike skilling or at least don't have very high levels. This means that if you attempt to create niche content involving a plethora of quests, it had better better be accessible to most players in some way early on or not be overly difficult to implement (such as the last block of floors released in DG). Unfortunately, RS was designed very piecemeal from the start so far-reaching and in-depth interactions are going to be awkward at best and seen as a huge risk by investors at worst, depending on the scale of the update. Game development is now heavily driven by what they think (as misguided as they are) will best attract and retain players long enough to suck out some membership and SoF/SGS money with minimal amount of effort going into the future. A lot of the time that means shallow and unimaginative content catered to the LCD.

Personally I'd love it if they just spent a full year of "We're going to fix and properly balance this entire game" by rehashing old content and retuning how skills work (because most of them suck from an actual player benefit standpoint). Of course in pure Jagex fashion, they'd have maybe 2 or 3 magnificent updates amongst 10 or so really mediocre ones and a bunch of terrible ones.

You and I have very different definitions of "effort".

You and I have very different definitions of "effort".

He is 200 total levels higher than you, don't tell him what effort is.

He is 200 total levels higher than you, don't tell him what effort is.

Sorry, I think I will.

Clicking and waiting is the opposite of effort. The fact that you have to do it for a longer time than most people can stand doesn't change that. The fact that you have done it for a long time doesn't excuse smugly villifying everyone that disagrees with you, especially if it's based on points that nobody actually made.

Think I'm done with general discussion, for the most part. I'm clearly failing to understand the game and the community on a fundamental level. Enjoy your waiting game. :wall:

• Like 4

Well last night, after much ado, I finally got on-line and started doing divination.

While it may be too early to tell, it may be that this could be the new skill (aside from Hunter) to help me with my insomnia. I managed to get to level 25 before I fell asleep in front of the computer. Prior to that I kept dozing off.

Now, I am not pointing the finger at “Divvy” as the source of my ennui last night – there were mitigating circumstances which may have contributed to my lack of physical enthusiasm about the new skill, so I will reserve judgment about it, for now.

That said, I did manage to get 10 of those glowing reddish thingamabobs that you’re supposed to turn over at Guthix’s who-sit for extra XP, and it will not allow me to get any more till I turn in the 10 I got. So, my question is, should I turn over the 10 of them now at level 25 Divvy, or wait till I get a higher level?

:unsure:

nyuseg.png

Did some rough calculations with a friend to figure out time to 99, its ~ 1800 regular wisps/hr which you can use with the xp/wisp from the wiki and it works out to be ~200 hours from 1 - 99

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

Any update on the XP rates at 70+ at all?

55-70k according to Dragonseance and other people in EE.

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

Interesting, Pieter just told me that it is 40k xp/h, a bit less.

Probably doing different methods.

70k Was with buying Energy apparently. Dragonseance reported 63k/hr not buying any energies.

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid