Behind the Scenes � September 2013

Alg

Off hand and main hand hasta for corp please.... I CAN HOPE!

I'm curious - what advantage does t60 dual wield have over t75 2h?

• Like 4

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Jagex's first priority is making money, which pretty much necessitates keeping people in. Why would "compassion" and "mercy" be used when it could potentially hurt the bottom line. And do you think it's a coincidence that it's Super-"firstmonthoutofNorthernSummer"? Bonus xp weeks falling just of out Winter and Summer (interchangeable based on hemisphere), not at all similar.

They can still make the same money if not more by not doing this. The players that this is targetted at are the hardcore base, and they are going to be playing RS no matter what happens. The only question is "how long per day, or how, will they play?". If there's a race like this, they might play 18-22 hours per day as they did during Divination. If there isn't, then they probably won't play that long for no reason. They will still be paying members, they simply won't be playing obsessively. This isn't even necessary for profits, it's just shortsighted recklessness. So, no, it won't be hurting the bottom line.

And I fully realize that people in the 'bottom line business' are not concerned about compassion or mercy. I was simply sarcastically making this point clear for others who still labor under that delusion and think that Jagex acts responsibly.

That's their fault, not Jagex'. Who still believes that Jagex even cares :P...

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

They can still make the same money if not more by not doing this.

You have now entered the Caution: Citation Needed zone. Please tread carefully and buckle your seatbelt before proceeding.

They will still be paying members, they simply won't be playing obsessively. This isn't even necessary for profits, it's just shortsighted recklessness.

There's nothing more inherently reckless about this promotion than any other area of this MMORPG. And please remember that MMORPGs in nature are designed to be addictive. There is no popular MMORPG that is not structured in that way.

It's easier to do one challenge every day to get the armor and return to their normal activities then it is competing with thousands of other people for a 1k and under rank spot. The hardcore base as you refer to them aren't likely to compete in this since there's an easier and faster way to get that end goal.

And I fully realize that people in the 'bottom line business' are not concerned about compassion or mercy. I was simply sarcastically making this point clear for others who still labor under that delusion and think that Jagex acts responsibly.

I was unaware anyone made that claim anywhere on the thread. Regardless if they did, you can still make a convincing argument either way. You might just be prejudiced if you deny that no one could ever argue your point successfully.

hzvjpwS.gif

Off hand and main hand hasta for corp please.... I CAN HOPE!

I'm curious - what advantage does t60 dual wield have over t75 2h?

You're dual wielding short spears. That hasta be worth something, right? :razz:

Hastae need more love.

FTFY

• Like 2

You have now entered the Caution: Citation Needed zone. Please tread carefully and buckle your seatbelt before proceeding.

It's a hypothesis or conjecture, if you will. The sorts of excessive update I am referring to are aimed at hardcore players, who are going to be around in one form of another. There isn't really any need in focusing so much attention on them that they get things like Trimmed Capes with ridiculous requirements of 5k games. If they were to do nothing, it would not make a dent in their bottom line, as the hardcore players would stay. If they wanted to do something, they could expend that effort on lower levels in order to attract more players to the game or more f2p players subscribing.

There's nothing more inherently reckless about this promotion than any other area of this MMORPG. And please remember that MMORPGs in nature are designed to be addictive. There is no popular MMORPG that is not structured in that way.

I agree that the nature of MMORPGs is sort of geared to this, inherently. I have acknowledged this before. However, even within that framework there are differences, and things that Jagex can do to maintain their profit and act responsibly at the same time. Just take the example of the 5K Castle Wars games again. What was the point of that? The people that were targeted were hardcore players who were subscribed long before than and are probably still player. Did it increase Jagex's profit? Nope. Did it gain them any significant amount of new members? Doubtful. Those people were paying 7$ dollars (or whatever p2p is now) before and after. All it did was suddenly compel a lot of people to frantically play for 5,000 games (something no more than a handful of people, had attempted to do prior to the requirement of a prestigious item requiring it). What this shows is that incentives matter. Not many people, I can assure you of this (I know various people who trimmed capes, and I have been part of various elite clans who have such people), even thought of going for 5K Castle Wars games before 2011 (when the capes were released), but suddenly, there were several going for it afterwards. What changed? The incentives, obviously. What I am arguing is that such incentives are completely unethical and probably not even profitable. Runescape has plenty of grind, things like 5K castle wars games or races is completely uncalled for. All I am suggesting is that Jagex be mindful of the incentives they are setting up especially when it doesn't hurt their bottom line.

It's easier to do one challenge every day to get the armor and return to their normal activities then it is competing with thousands of other people for a 1k and under rank spot. The hardcore base as you refer to them aren't likely to compete in this since there's an easier and faster way to get that end goal.

From my understanding, everyone who completes all 30 challenges will receive the outfit, but the titles will only be given to those who are under the 1k ranks. If this is correct, then this will be just another quasi-trimmed cape, it will probably inspire various people to compete for that obsessively.

I was unaware anyone made that claim anywhere on the thread. Regardless if they did, you can still make a convincing argument either way. You might just be prejudiced if you deny that no one could ever argue your point successfully.

Well, that's more of a general point that I was trying to make. The major responsibility of any corporation is to increase profits for its shareholders. In a structural sense, my point holds. In specific matters however, they can sometimes act in an way resembling enlightened self-interest: that's where they still pursue profit but it's beneficial for all of us.

Please use the report system if you see posts that violate the rules and keep it about the BTS - which include the super summer promotion, dwarven rework, new quest, and so on.

I don't want to have to remove posts so thanks for your cooperation in this :) PM me if you have further questions.

• Like 1

hzvjpwS.gif

so that portent super challenge was easy, not very super at all.

~~~legoman187~~~

nee0cg.png

Clicky siggy for blog

Thanks Pendonub for fancy new sig

Thieving guide[WIP]

Loyal player since May 2005 and member since November 2005 and Tifer for many years

~~~legoman187~~~

It's easy to use portents at the Battle of Lumbridge, but I thought to be smart and just stood in Saradomin's camp - well that didn't work. You take damage, but when you drop below 50% health, nothing happens. If you enter combat already below 50% health, portents also do nothing. It is only when you are over 50% health, in combat, and then go below 50% health that the portents do anything.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

my idea was to steal from elves, because they do quite a bit of damage and catch you alot, and the portents would heal when i got low, but the whole being in combat thing kinda put a damper on that, decided to piss of an elf and have him wail on me for like 10 minutes (because i was already and there and super lazy)

~~~legoman187~~~

nee0cg.png

Clicky siggy for blog

Thanks Pendonub for fancy new sig

Thieving guide[WIP]

Loyal player since May 2005 and member since November 2005 and Tifer for many years

~~~legoman187~~~

I went to KBD. Took a few minutes, but I imagine it would be even quicker if you just drink regular anti-fire (I drank super, so I had to wait for his melee attack to do damage).

I wouldn't recommend no antifire, because you'll be dead in like 2 hits lol.

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

I did KBD on my noob without any antifire pots. Was really easy, he still barely hit. :P.

Just a little sad super challenges don't give spins. :(.

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

The whole superhero theme seems a bit overdone to me.

Hard mode Dg will be good for people who claim EoC made Dg too easy, now they can stop whining and use the survival skills thy built up.

flere_imsaho.png

As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapabale of solving approaches zero.

Ensure you are not a social situation.

This month's updates do look very nice. Shame I have to keep working on Divination though, I just want my Completionist Cape back :( lol. Starting to get bored of Divination though.... :s

Chelsea FC #1

Join My Clan:

[qfc]290-291-830-65346534[/qfc]

Youtube Channel

Had been some angst on HLF re: "Fully upgraded ring" task that was mentioned, regarding the definition of "fully upgraded"-

4hdpQ.png

[qfc]259-260-488-65136545[/qfc] (HLF)

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

Well they could have said "a fully upgraded class on the ring"

Please don't suggest suggest such an insanely logical option.

• Like 5

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER