Jagex�s Recent Work With Youtubers Discussion

Blofeld

It’s something Ive been thinking about this last week and wanted to know other peoples thought on the matter.

As many know a group of YT video makers and other key community figures were invited to Jagex last month, this visit was shortly followed by the announcement of the 3 new Jagex Mods. Last week a second group of 5 or so video makers visited Jagex, and then this week another 10 or so have been invited to stay a few days and visit the studio.

This is a very sudden rapid change from the Jagex of old, who seldom invited anyone, and if they did it has only typically been 1 or 2 people at a time and not groups.

On the surface it seems to me that this is simply a way of thanking those who out so much hard work into the community and spreading the joy of the game. I watch many of those who have been invited’s videos and I think they 100% deserve an awesome reward like an all-expenses paid visit.

But my main question is what Jagex’es ulterior motive in this is?

To me it has already had the clear effect of perhaps stopping some of those video makers being so critical or harsh on Jagex in videos. Those that previously referred to Squeal/Solomon with a selection of profanities seem to be either not discussing it at all now, or even discussing it in a more positive light.

Assumedly a key reason for these visits is for Jagex to pick the brains of a group of people who arguably understand the community and the game better than Jagex themselves. Perhaps they are hoping that by physically introducing some of the big guns of the community to each other in person it will help make the community more tight knit.

I think there is truly a lot to be gained by these visits and I feel Jagex has some sort of a big plan with this, I just cant put my finger on exactly what it is.

So, yes, what are people’s views on this new sudden outreach to the video making community and what potential changes do you think could come because of it?

I'm not sure if I like it - it seems a bit exclusionary as if Jagex are officially endorsing certain videos makers.

And using them as a focus group probably gives more biased opinions than even HLF threads do as they by no means represent most of the community. I'd say at best 10% of the community even watch runescape youtubers and even then just because people watch doesn't mean the video maker knows what they want or think. On some snippets of the big-name videos I have seen I have found them, at times, to be more out of touch with the general feeling in forums and such than even some Jmods appear to be with their derp moves.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I was also worried about the probably biased opinions and influence these YouTubers will have. Many of them seem to have a very limited knowledge of the game which is what worries me. They focus around a certain area of the game, such as PKing.

IDK, I suppose we'll see how it goes. I do like to see Jagex doing a 180 though and opening up a bit. :).

• Like 7

09144a99bb.png

Honestly more then anything Jagex reaching out to Youtuber's always seemed to me like a cry for publicity. Reach out to the most vocal / watched people, and essentially get some free advertising / promotion from it for their game. I know of several people who tuned into to certain channels specifically and only after they were "endorsed" by Jagex.

While i'm not sure that they are necessarily reaching out to the right people, what they are doing by it: promoting the game, getting more people to stay/keep playing, attracting new players, this is all a good thing.

I also would have to definitely say that Jagex opening up to a group of players, even a tiny, select one, should have a positive effect on the game, and the fact that Jagex isn't quite so much "Behind closed doors" also is a good step, in my opinion.

• Like 1

o4qq.png

My Pure F2P Blog: CLICK ME

6th Maintainer of the Pure F2P Highscores / The Top 250 F2P Skill Total Lists : May 16th, 2012 - March 30th, 2014.

I don't think Jagex have any kind of great plan for this whole thing, honestly. Neither, however, I believe that this is just to give back to those who have put effort into discussing the game and knows the community and game very well. I think it is more of a mix of these both things instead of a simple matter of this or that (just like most things in life really). What I believe is the following; Jagex wants to make these video makers to understand better how they work. As to both give them a thank you as well as stopping them from giving them, from their view, undeserved criticism. I don't, however, believe that this is some part of a 'great plan'. Just Jagex putting in some effort. Which I think is great.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

The minigame after this chaos dwarf quest was designed by one of Jagex's youtube all stars.

I can't remember which one just look them up and compare their blabbering to what is actually in the game.

It's unfortunate, but apparently trumping yourself up as King of PVM or something stupid and shooting videos of you killing 1000 nexs will get you heard and get you special rewards.

Having meaningful criticism, will get you dismissed and mostly likely told you know jack shit.

Go go Mod Mark machinations.

• Like 1

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Going back to my original post. I've never been a conspiracy theory kind of person before,but I do think the bonds annoncement played a reasonable part in why so many video makers were invited to Jagex this week.

It is a bold announcement today that Jagex didnt necessarily know which way the community would react to. Some of the Youtubers have viewer numbers of up to 50k per video, if it had gone down badly an ifluential person ranting about it on a video can have a large effect on stirring up the community and spreading further discontent. I therefore think part of the reason so many was invited was so they could explain it to them properly and give them a chance to properly think about it , instead of finding out today and making a rash and ranting video

Thats my 2 cents anyway

Going back to my original post. I've never been a conspiracy theory kind of person before,but I do think the bonds annoncement played a reasonable part in why so many video makers were invited to Jagex this week.

It is a bold announcement today that Jagex didnt necessarily know which way the community would react to. Some of the Youtubers have viewer numbers of up to 50k per video, if it had gone down badly an ifluential person ranting about it on a video can have a large effect on stirring up the community and spreading further discontent. I therefore think part of the reason so many was invited was so they could explain it to them properly and give them a chance to properly think about it , instead of finding out today and making a rash and ranting video

Thats my 2 cents anyway

Earlier on this thread I posted that I didn't believe that this recent action of Jagex's was part of some great plan. Then when I saw today's update as well as your post...Well. I was wrong.

• Like 2

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

As soon as I saw today's announcement, I thought of this. Good thinking ahead Jagex. :thumbup:

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

The minigame after this chaos dwarf quest was designed by one of Jagex's youtube all stars.

I can't remember which one just look them up and compare their blabbering to what is actually in the game.

It's unfortunate, but apparently trumping yourself up as King of PVM or something stupid and shooting videos of you killing 1000 nexs will get you heard and get you special rewards.

Having meaningful criticism, will get you dismissed and mostly likely told you know jack shit.

Go go Mod Mark machinations.

I almost don't want to believe it, but that's likely the case.

They are a business after all-- gotta keep up that public image.