Dev Blog - Prestige

Matt258

After giving it some thought, I dislike the idea of prestige. 99 is the top. It's already a stupidly high top. It doesn't need to be higher--if anything, it should be lower.

If I spend 150 hours maxing a skill, I want to be done with it. I don't want the game to tell me I'm just getting started.

The vast majority of players do not have skillcapes at all. And if you do get a skillcape, there are still 25 other skills for you to max. And if you max out every skill, there's still the completionist cape. And if you have that, there's still the AFK Castle Wars cape trimmed completionist cape. We're drowning in pointless post-endgame achievements as it is; we don't need more. The more we have, the more the game becomes about maxing (AKA endless grinding). For Guthix's sake, don't encourage it.

Want hiscores to be competitive? Seasonal Hiscores for every skill. Boom. Done.

• Like 4

As mentioned by others, this prestige is mostly catered for partially and fully maxed players who are concerned about the highscore. Not surprising about the poll result really. 

Still worry about the system unnecessarily driving up cost of training for low level/low budget players. Things like crafting...not everyone has the patience to spin bow string, but if other methods like glassblowing have been driven up by demand due to even more expensive methods being out of reach by middle-budget players, then those at the bottom of the hierarchy really have no choice.

Kudos to Jagex for making a Yes/No vote with voting account restrictions (unlike that osrs).

'Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.' T.S. Eliot

After giving it some thought, I dislike the idea of prestige. 99 is the top. It's already a stupidly high top. It doesn't need to be higher--if anything, it should be lower.

If I spend 150 hours maxing a skill, I want to be done with it. I don't want the game to tell me I'm just getting started.

The vast majority of players do not have skillcapes at all. And if you do get a skillcape, there are still 25 other skills for you to max. And if you max out every skill, there's still the completionist cape. And if you have that, there's still the AFK Castle Wars cape trimmed completionist cape. We're drowning in pointless post-endgame achievements as it is; we don't need more. The more we have, the more the game becomes about maxing (AKA endless grinding). For Guthix's sake, don't encourage it.

Want hiscores to be competitive? Seasonal Hiscores for every skill. Boom. Done.

Sorry, 99 is not the top. Didn't you get the memo? People level past 99 all over the place and it's mandatory to do so if you want to increase your player ranking on the high score board. If you say that doesn't matter, then why complain about Prestige because all it does is change how players are ranked on the high scores board. There's no ingame benefit and in fact its more a detriment.

A lot of the (mostly legit) moaning about Prestige comes from people saying that not taking into account experience past level 99. Anything else that says players feel compelled to do it just means Jagex is doing it right. Without a target it now becomes a race against other players. Do you think you can beat SUOMI? Then start leveling everything. Want that top 25 spot in Agility, start running the courses. No endgame bs, just player versus player ranking without the game mechanics limiting the goal line.

Plus, Everto above you claimed only 200 people would care about this. Haleluya, cheese and rice! You mean there won't be this insane leveling to 200m anymore then mission accomplished. Of course he's wrong and thousands will level Prestige because now they all have a chance to be a top spot over those that abandoned a particular skill after 200m. Those in the overall ranking also will start leveling all skills spreading out the love and probably alleviating the stress on expensive skills since they also have to go back to the easy skills if they want their overall rank to continue increasing.

Ultimately, I hope they do implement Prestige with a smart rollover system early on (maybe first 3 month) and make all instant xp become bonus xp instead (warbands and sinkhole being worst offenders). What'll happen is every skill turns into what players experienced recently with Divination, the feeling of starting a new skill. Plus, Dungeoneering will be the early bottleneck since you'll need 200m each prestige level. Even with a 100% rollover, Dng will still be Prestige 1 while others are at Prestige 5. There'd be a mad rush of dungeoneering to be sure.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

There is another option that takes the prestige concept by removing the xp cap, but you level like normal. 

When a player gets 99 (except for dungeoneering), it prestiges automatically. Prestige 0 would require same amount of xp as level 99 to 100, Prestige 1 the same as level 100 to 101, etc. Dungeoneering automatically prestiges at 120 but starts at prestige 20. At Prestige 50, all prestige past that costs 200m XP each. There's also a Prestige all counter. This counts when players prestige all skills to the same level. For the high scores table, the overall high scores ranks Prestige All, then Total Presige, then Total Skill and finally Total XP to determine player ranking. In each skill its similar. 

When implemented, all xp rolls over automatically. Boom, no level caps for player ranking. Replicates removing the xp cap without putting extra skill levels in the game. Player rankings are almost exactly the same with exception of total ranking since those that maxed agility will likely be on the top.

Downside: low level content is never seen again by a player. 

Look at the above. It's basically what Prestige was trying to do originally (minus using xp rollover). You lose out on making players reuse low level content making high end content stay expensive. On the other hand, you remove this 200m xp goal post which has hurt the game more than the 99 skill capes did.

• Like 1

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy

Sorry, 99 is not the top. Didn't you get the memo? People level past 99 all over the place and it's mandatory to do so if you want to increase your player ranking on the high score board. If you say that doesn't matter, then why complain about Prestige because all it does is change how players are ranked on the high scores board. There's no ingame benefit and in fact its more a detriment.

A lot of the (mostly legit) moaning about Prestige comes from people saying that not taking into account experience past level 99. Anything else that says players feel compelled to do it just means Jagex is doing it right. Without a target it now becomes a race against other players. Do you think you can beat SUOMI? Then start leveling everything. Want that top 25 spot in Agility, start running the courses. No endgame bs, just player versus player ranking without the game mechanics limiting the goal line.

Plus, Everto above you claimed only 200 people would care about this. Haleluya, cheese and rice! You mean there won't be this insane leveling to 200m anymore then mission accomplished. Of course he's wrong and thousands will level Prestige because now they all have a chance to be a top spot over those that abandoned a particular skill after 200m. Those in the overall ranking also will start leveling all skills spreading out the love and probably alleviating the stress on expensive skills since they also have to go back to the easy skills if they want their overall rank to continue increasing.

Most players don't care about the top of the hiscores. The prestige system explicitly tells them to start caring.

Players do what the game tells them to do. If you tell the players to do something that's not fun, they'll do it, and they won't have fun. That's not just a maxim of game design, it's something we've repeatedly seen in the past.

• Like 2

I see Jagex has adopted the let's make our game like Call of Duty because Call of Duty gets sales formula.

Also: What the hell happened to Jagex's 'play less Runescape' campaign? I guess it was only a marketting gimmick.

I see Jagex has adopted the let's make our game like Call of Duty because Call of Duty gets sales formula.

Also: What the hell happened to Jagex's 'play less Runescape' campaign? I guess it was only a marketting gimmick.

Personally thought "play less runescape" was a stupid idea in the first place. Let the players decide how much they want to play. It shouldn't be Jagex or anyone else's job to limit what a person does in their free time.

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

There are a few hardcore players this will appeal to, but vastly more players who really couldn't give a damn less. It's a waste of dev resources to make an update that appeals to what is likely less than two hundred players.

Absolutely correct! This is why there are only ~200 yes votes in the poll.

weathermatt.png

diy_wmatt.png

Any game company wants to do the opposite of "play less of our stuff". They want you to play more, and more often. Sometimes they may promote healthy choices, in order to look good.. but their job is to make you want to play more.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Any game company wants to do the opposite of "play less of our stuff". They want you to play more, and more often. Sometimes they may promote healthy choices, in order to look good.. but their job is to make you want to play more.

The six-hour logout is immensely irritating, especially since it apparently counts time spent in-lobby. Most of my time spent in lobby is AFK, so STOP ****ING COUNTING IT! Or, better yet, don't impose a maximum activity limit. I don't know of any other game that does. If people want to nolife for 15 hours straight, why do you care? It's their choice to spend their time like that.

4NIrZ.png

The six-hour logout is immensely irritating, especially since it apparently counts time spent in-lobby. Most of my time spent in lobby is AFK, so STOP ****ING COUNTING IT! Or, better yet, don't impose a maximum activity limit. I don't know of any other game that does. If people want to nolife for 15 hours straight, why do you care? It's their choice to spend their time like that.

Be careful with that, apparently it is not the choice of a person to make unhealthy decisions, it's purely the fault of the company making it available and appealing according to most here.

I find it funny how people who aren't anywhere near maxed or have barely a 99 are supporting this system, both here and on RSOF.

Considering they are the ones who it would apply to the most, I don't see what is so funny with that. Those who are lower than 99 are the ones looking at how impossible it will be to catch top players, but now have the opportunity to catch up would definitely enjoy this update. I think I'm the only completionist with 100m+ in multiple skills who actually wanted this update though.

As far as I know this is mostly done to enable logging of highscores, and may have at one point been to ensure that the same 2k people don't hog a server indefinitely.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

There isn't anything wrong with the prestige system. The issue is how it would be made mainstream for the high scores and for game content.

Oh yeah and for the cheaky guy about the COD comment. You should refer back to every failed comparison to WOW. I mean I get it with the uniqueness thing. But honestly going with concepts that work in other games has always been done from the dawn of time - even before runescape. Oh hell look at chess abd checkers... one came from the other and they both use checkered boards. Could you imagine the arguments coming from that?

Anyways its not a big deal. I want the prestige system because I would like to relevel. I don't like the idea of hindering the playability of new content because of it though. I would like some daily resets available. Maybe one overall skill reset a week and several individual resets that we can bank.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I find it funny how people who aren't anywhere near maxed or have barely a 99 are supporting this system, both here and on RSOF.

Probably the guys that creat, design or program the game are no where near max either. People that design cars aren't the ones that necessarily ends up racing them in competition. Having an opinion on gameplay mechanics is not tied to the character people use in the game. Likewise investing 2000 hours into gameplay doesn't mean you know how to make the game enjoyable for the thousands of others that are playing.

I'll agree that Jagex needs to listen to the opinions of active high level players (which includes a number of factors such as players with 200m in one stat, 99 in all, total xp above 1 billion, etc.). However, they shouldn't ignore or discourage good advice and opinions from those that are also active in the game at different levels.

I'm no where near maxed, but I'll offer my opinion on what I think can make an enjoyable experience for a larger number of people besides myself. Just above I showed they can just use the prestige system they suggested and use it as a method to remove the level 99 and 200m xp cap in regards to player's total ranking both in individual skills and overall ranking. I don't like it as I enjoyed the idea of players redoing low level events, but there you go. Sometimes an opinion won't mesh with the majority.

Anyway, with 25k votes and 60-40 against Prestige won't be implemented in its current suggested state. They'll look at it and change it. Hope it's to something good that works for most.

nukemarine.png

I just hope they don't decide "hey, lets give you real benefits for having prestiges" because that will seriously unbalance the game. The nolifers who have the free time to get 50 million exp will have an extreme advantage over the rest of us plebs who can barely scrape by 13 million xp.

• Like 1

4NIrZ.png

I just hope they don't decide "hey, lets give you real benefits for having prestiges" because that will seriously unbalance the game. The nolifers who have the free time to get 50 million exp will have an extreme advantage over the rest of us plebs who can barely scrape by 13 million xp.

I supported this system, I wouldn't support anything with actual gameplay benefits. Not because I don't want to no-life, but I actually believe that would be unfair.

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

I supported this system, I wouldn't support anything with actual gameplay benefits. Not because I don't want to no-life, but I actually believe that would be unfair.

Really? I think if you invest more time into a game you should be rewarded for it, lol. I kind of miss the days when being maxed actually a big deal and having a high level'd stat was a useful accomplishment rather than a cosmetic achievement or novelty. 

I'm not saying I support giving different tiers of prestige uses or whatever, I just think it's ridiculous that if someone invests 5x the amount of time as someone else that it's "unfair" that they benefit from it.  

Really? I think if you invest more time into a game you should be rewarded for it, lol. I kind of miss the days when being maxed actually a big deal and having a high level'd stat was a useful accomplishment rather than a cosmetic achievement or novelty. 

I'm not saying I support giving different tiers of prestige uses or whatever, I just think it's ridiculous that if someone invests 5x the amount of time as someone else that it's "unfair" that they benefit from it.  

I'm curious how you can miss the days when a high stat was a useful accomplishment considering they never existed.

It's only in recent years skills have really had the top 10 levels and more in some cases filled out and even then half of them aren't 'useful' stuff.

In the 'old days' before the cosmetics of capes literally the only reasons to get stats high was completionist tendancies or trying to get e-status over being so awesomely high levelled. Never anything useful to it.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

What about 99 Smith back in classic days?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

What about 99 Smith back in classic days?

If those are the days people long for, then they should be hoarding energies for the production skill at the end of the year, no? Because the only good part about that was the control they had over the market of those items and the money they made as a result. Even still, today's much-larger player base would nullify any benefit of reaching 99 just to make money. By the time you hit that milestone, either so many people have made it with you and will viciously undercut you to sell their product or you got it too late that the undercutting has finally lead to a bottom-out of prices that hardly make the effort seem worth it.

99 smith was only worthwhile because you made money off of it. People only talk fondly of it because it's a mythical-styled time period that this game can no longer regain because it's grown so much in size that it just wouldn't work. You can't have a 10year old game and not have any overlap, and there's too much overlap AND too many players to ever have that time period come again.

Using it as a benchmark for when skills were meaningful at this point is comparing apples to oranges, as terrible as that saying is.

hzvjpwS.gif

I don't actually understand how this was supposed to make it easier to compete on the hiscores. If I'm level 80, how does it help me compete against someone who's 99? They have just as big a head start as they had before. If I have 99, I can prestige and...what? Try to catch up to the guys who already have 5 prestige? Increase my rank from 10,000 to 8,000? Removing the cap only makes it more competitive for players who are capped already.