Tip.It Times - 27th October 2013 - Alg closes up shop & Make the world a better place

tripsis

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

callingwriters.jpg

WRITE FOR THE TIMES - SUBMIT A GUEST ARTICLE:

Remember, YOU can write an article for the Tip.It Times! You can apply to write full time, or just submit a "one-off" guest article any time you want! Our editors will work with you to ensure that your article is ready for publication. All guest articles can be submitted to @tripsis or any other Editorial Panel member. For more information, including details on how to apply full time, read this forum thread: http://forum.tip.it/topic/209138-how-to-write-for-the-tipit-times/

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

[hide=Read these rules before posting in this thread]

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to tripsis by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

[/hide]

[hide=Submitting Crossword Puzzles]If you want to submit your own crossword puzzle, it's quite simple.

Simply provide a word list (about 10-20 words) with their corresponding clues. Then, message @The Floating Pen with the word list and it will eventually be published in the Tip.it Times![/hide]

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in an article then please PM them to @tripsis. :)

Enjoy the articles!

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Alg:  "The game will turn thirteen this January, meaning that it will be old enough to play itself,"

I like it!

So will there be a resolution to the storyline.. you hit the nail on the head with: "the inevitable question of "what next""

I wrote in an earlier article  (*): "I predict that no RuneScape god will ever truly win or lose.

If Jagex would write quests and lore making one side win big, this would mean all the other sides lose just as big. I can not imagine Jagex wanting to upset so many followers of the losing gods. This truly means the godwars in all their incarnations are truly endless..."

Combine that with your: "Eagerly awaiting the end, because it wouldn't be the first time they've surprised us."  and Ithink the storyline(s) can only really truly end when the game also ends.. it is however much more likely the game will end some day withouth all the loose threads being tied up.. and without a nice TV-movie type sequel to take care of the cliff hanger.

It does seem to me though that Jagex is a lot more aware of the impact of the story-lines in quests then they used to be.  The combined some, ended others and made some retroactive changes that makes it all fit together nicer.

(*) http://www.tip.it/runescape/times/view/979-gods-and-humans

• Like 1

A reminder to all Tip.it Times readers: go enter the Finish-the-Fictional contest revolving around A Hundred Heavy Hearts! You still have time, and the rewards are lucrative... a custom Tip.it Forum title? Two weeks of RuneScape membership? And possibly more... to be announced. :)

Submit your entries!

• Like 1

I'm actually quite sure that it's possible that a god can outright lose in the story (as any good story is capable of demanding what it needs without obstruction), however, depending on the actions of the players, it is also very possible that the conditions for achieving success (or the context which determines what success even means) in the conflict can change, so hedging your metaphorical bets is important

after all, it was so easy to kill guthix to advance the plot

8f14270694.jpg

I liked both articles, the last one states my last hope in humanity. i can see it in people, i just wish they would show it. i am not sure if i am explaining what i mean well, i am tired, give me a break

~~~legoman187~~~

nee0cg.png

Clicky siggy for blog

Thanks Pendonub for fancy new sig

Thieving guide[WIP]

Loyal player since May 2005 and member since November 2005 and Tifer for many years

~~~legoman187~~~

I liked both articles, the last one states my last hope in humanity. i can see it in people, i just wish they would show it. i am not sure if i am explaining what i mean well, i am tired, give me a break

~~~legoman187~~~

<3

Great articles

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

I'm actually quite sure that it's possible that a god can outright lose in the story (as any good story is capable of demanding what it needs without obstruction), however, depending on the actions of the players, it is also very possible that the conditions for achieving success (or the context which determines what success even means) in the conflict can change, so hedging your metaphorical bets is important

after all, it was so easy to kill guthix to advance the plot

And also Guthix , or rather his legacy and ideas profited a lot from his demise...

~~~legoman187~~~

Thanks , I think I get what you mean, I also think you got that part of the thoughts I had behind the article.

guthix gained from his death a sense of peace and realization (that free will is what he really wanted) but lost in the sense that his original god principle (balance is paramount) both failed as a concept, and still remains a tenet for many of his followers, who do not know about most of the circumstances of his life and death

8f14270694.jpg

Interesting discussion! 

I am still not altogether sure Guthix is dead for ever.  There are enough little nagging things to allow a lot of freedom for the writers of the lore to resurrect him if they wanted to do so.

Interesting discussion! 

I am still not altogether sure Guthix is dead for ever.  There are enough little nagging things to allow a lot of freedom for the writers of the lore to resurrect him if they wanted to do so.

What do you think could bring him back? According to the lore book after mpd a God loses their ability to have an afterlife and their energy gets scattered. Also, Jagex seems pretty sure "He dead"

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

1-  they can do anything they want, even if it means retconning things a bit.

2-  Its a fantasy game,weirder things have happened.

3-  Maybe he faked his death.. he was, or in that case is, a god with immense powers.

4- Maybe parts of his powers or his soul now reside in 'the world guardian' and that can be returned.

5- wouldn't be the first time a lorebook turned out to be wrong... see 1.

I can probably make up a dozen more, but instead I will admit that statement is a bit out there, it was originally a small part of a bigger contribution to the discussion, which i deleted because it would give away a part of my next article.

I do think hes in all likelihood  dead, but I also think its a good possibility part of him is part of  'the adventurer' now. 

An other question I have about Guthix power is : supposedly it should have flown to his killer, Sliske, making that bum a god, but there is an immeasurable amount of guthixian power floating around the planet and Saradomin also took some in Lum.  Assuming power does not suddenly appear out of thin air Sliske did not gain that much of it.

One last musing: do you think Jagex actually knows the answers to these things, or are we taking all this more serious then they are?

Now excuse me wile I sob quietly in the corner since the realization finally hit me : 'he dead' ...... :(

Fair enough, thats the direction I figured you were going when mentioning it. The other thing I was thinking of is perhaps it would be possible to bring him back but weaker than before by gathering enough of his energy and memories. I don't really like how they set up his end, him missing his daughter and all but having no way to ever see her again. I wouldn't mind having the option to resurrect him in a lesser form during a quest and then having him make some noble sacrifice, actually going to the afterlife.

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19