Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

200m in All Skills

717 replies to this topic

Greendor
[ Display Name History ]

Greendor

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • RSN:Greeendor

Also second person to 4 200m's :) If that 800k Firemaking Xp is any indicator of his future plans, we could see a new rank 1 fairly soon! :D

Maxed OSRS

Dragonseance Fanboy

Efficiency Experts

stenvikteam
[ Display Name History ]

stenvikteam

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 247 posts

Late grats to Vestfold for getting Rank 1 in EHP

My yt: https://www.youtube....r/mrstenvikteam

my twitter: https://twitter.com/NoToAfkPray_OS

200m Prayer achieved           24/07/14

200m Construction achieved 25/08/15 

Jebrim
[ Display Name History ]

Jebrim

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 944 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Jebrim I
  • RSN2:Jebrim V
  • RSN '07:Jebrim IV
  • Clan:TMOA

Profiled

fd5716c8af.png

200000000.png

Agilitizing my way to 1,000,000,000xp!
Follow my progress on my Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/The1Jebrim

Greendor
[ Display Name History ]

Greendor

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • RSN:Greeendor

If you don't mind me asking Jebrim; Have your plans changed in regards to 1B Agility? Are you still doing 100m 07 then 210m more on RS3? :)

Maxed OSRS

Dragonseance Fanboy

Efficiency Experts

Gemeos2
[ Display Name History ]

Gemeos2

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,212 posts
  • RSN:Gemeos2 RS3
  • RSN '07:Gemeos2

Bump and profiled.

muggiwhplar
[ Display Name History ]

muggiwhplar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,002 posts

I remembered something just now... I wrote this post back in 2008, before efficiency was understood by the general public. Funny how the taboos and social norms in RS/TIF shift over time, yet the underlying principles behind the argument remain the same. Buying chins for ranged has now become widely accepted; yet buying XP in RS3 via RL money or AFKing in 2007 is the new taboo.

Thought you guys might find that interesting.

77yLQy8.png

RandomGuy123
[ Display Name History ]

RandomGuy123

Spider Egg

• Members
  • 75 posts

I remembered something just now... I wrote this post back in 2008, before efficiency was understood by the general public. Funny how the taboos and social norms in RS/TIF shift over time, yet the underlying principles behind the argument remain the same. Buying chins for ranged has now become widely accepted; yet buying XP in RS3 via RL money or AFKing in 2007 is the new taboo.

muggiwhplar
[ Display Name History ]

muggiwhplar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,002 posts

I don't think those two things are comparable. 
Buying chins for ranged is not far-fetched at all. Why? uhmm...Money is a vital part of the game and everyone has equal chances of obtaining it. 
Spins have been out for a while now in rs3, and is still very much looked down upon by many players.
Come on now, MTX and legal botting will never become widely accepted in the high level skilling community. Legal botting might have a very small chance of being accepted by most high level skillers and only rejected by a few achievement-oriented players, but MTX make it so your IRL status affects your in-game performance, which is the definition of unfairness and dispirits competition.

Everyone has the equal opportunity of AFK training as well. With the introduction of bonds, anyone with a minimum wage job can now earn money more efficiently in RL than at Zulrah. And I'd argue that with a few very rare exceptions, pretty much anyone has access to a minimum wage job.

My point is, anyone who refuses to participate in such activities probably does so for self-imposed reasons. And that's totally fine, however those players must remember that by intentionally restricting themselves from certain activities and play-styles, they also waive their right to complain about the consequences.

77yLQy8.png

RandomGuy123
[ Display Name History ]

RandomGuy123

Spider Egg

• Members
  • 75 posts

I don't think those two things are comparable. 
Buying chins for ranged is not far-fetched at all. Why? uhmm...Money is a vital part of the game and everyone has equal chances of obtaining it. 
Spins have been out for a while now in rs3, and is still very much looked down upon by many players.
Come on now, MTX and legal botting will never become widely accepted in the high level skilling community. Legal botting might have a very small chance of being accepted by most high level skillers and only rejected by a few achievement-oriented players, but MTX make it so your IRL status affects your in-game performance, which is the definition of unfairness and dispirits competition.

Everyone has the equal opportunity of AFK training as well. With the introduction of bonds, anyone with a minimum wage job can now earn money more efficiently in RL than at Zulrah. And I'd argue that with a few very rare exceptions, pretty much anyone has access to a minimum wage job.

My point is, anyone who refuses to participate in such activities probably does so for self-imposed reasons. And that's totally fine, however those players must remember that by intentionally restricting themselves from certain activities and play-styles, they also waive their right to complain about the consequences.

Arceus
[ Display Name History ]

Arceus

Araxyte Authority

• Administrators
  • 7,086 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
Quote Pyramid

Is there a limit in the amount of bonds one can buy every so often to not discriminate between minmum wage and rich irl?

No, but whether you're trading billion dollar companies or mowing lawns, you can still earn more gold pieces for a given amount of time doing the former rather than the latter and I think that was the intended point...
"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?
---

cWCZMZO.png
l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

RandomGuy123
[ Display Name History ]

RandomGuy123

Spider Egg

• Members
  • 75 posts

Quote Pyramid

Is there a limit in the amount of bonds one can buy every so often to not discriminate between minmum wage and rich irl?

No, but whether you're trading billion dollar companies or mowing lawns, you can still earn more gold pieces for a given amount of time doing the former rather than the latter and I think that was the intended point...

Gemeos2
[ Display Name History ]

Gemeos2

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,212 posts

Everyone can get rich IRL. It's just that some people choose not to work towards that. And you can choose that by not working much IRL, by sit on your computer playing games for who knows how many hours per day,  by choosing  carreer that doesn't allow you to get much money, and so on.

It's all a matter of decisions, really - whether you know to make good decisions or not is a different discussion. My point is that "it's just that I can't blablabla" is an excuse.

RandomGuy123
[ Display Name History ]

RandomGuy123

Spider Egg

• Members
  • 75 posts

Everyone can get rich IRL. It's just that some people choose not to work towards that. And you can choose that by not working much IRL, by sit on your computer playing games for who knows how many hours per day,  by choosing  carreer that doesn't allow you to get much money, and so on.

It's all a matter of decisions, really - whether you know to make good decisions or not is a different discussion. My point is that "it's just that I can't blablabla" is an excuse.

muggiwhplar
[ Display Name History ]

muggiwhplar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,002 posts
When it comes to being super-rich or part of the 1% IRL (e.g. having billions of dollars) yeah, that can be luck-based. However I don't think anyone is realistically aiming for that. Fact is, pretty much anyone can become a millionaire if they put their minds to it, anyone can earn minimum wage practically any time they want, and anyone can earn around $75k-100k/yr relatively quickly if they understand how money works.

For most people, making a lot of money IRL is a sign of competence. There's a reason why certain business owners and entrepreneurs are able to consistently and systematically create profitable business ventures as well as teach others how to do the same: because it's a skill that they have learned and mastered over time; not luck. When people start a business and go bankrupt, it's rarely because of bad luck. They just don't understand how business works and consequently make several fatal mistakes.

Similarly, you argue that it's unfair that having a strong financial background IRL helps certain players get ahead in RS. What about merchants? The game doesn't teach you how to merchant and it requires a real-world understanding of economics. Do all merchants therefore have an unfair advantage? Are they just lucky?

Finally, when has RS ever been a fair environment? Players with practically an unlimited amount of free time IRL have always had a massive advantage over players who can only play for less than an hour per day. Players who become famous and use that fame to accelerate their progress also gain a massive edge over others.

77yLQy8.png

RandomGuy123
[ Display Name History ]

RandomGuy123

Spider Egg

• Members
  • 75 posts

muggiwhplar
[ Display Name History ]

muggiwhplar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,002 posts
You're using the word "should" a lot. And while I agree more or less with how things "should" be in RS, it doesn't change the fact that things aren't that way, never were that way, and never will be that way.

I shouldn't have to max out range and mage for the 3rd time to enjoy my favorite RS hobbies... But I do.
I shouldn't have to sacrifice some of my RL free time on RS doing things I don't enjoy in order to get what I want... But I do.
I shouldn't have to learn how the economy works in order to protect my financial interests... But I do.

Dwelling on how things should be rather than how things actually are only leads to frustration and resentment when the world fails to live up to your expectations. Better to accept the world for how it is and adapt accordingly.

77yLQy8.png

RandomGuy123
[ Display Name History ]

RandomGuy123

Spider Egg

• Members
  • 75 posts

You're using the word "should" a lot. And while I agree more or less with how things "should" be in RS, it doesn't change the fact that things aren't that way, never were that way, and never will be that way.

I shouldn't have to max out range and mage for the 3rd time to enjoy my favorite RS hobbies... But I do.
I shouldn't have to sacrifice some of my RL free time on RS doing things I don't enjoy in order to get what I want... But I do.
I shouldn't have to learn how the economy works in order to protect my financial interests... But I do.

Dwelling on how things should be rather than how things actually are only leads to frustration and resentment when the world fails to live up to your expectations. Better to accept the world for how it is and adapt accordingly.

muggiwhplar
[ Display Name History ]

muggiwhplar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,002 posts
Not sure what you mean by that. Can you elaborate?

77yLQy8.png

Gemeos2
[ Display Name History ]

Gemeos2

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,212 posts

I think muggiwhplar is bring an important point that applys to real life and RuneScape. 

And let's analyze the following RuneScape example: Some people ask me how I learned to merch. I refer them to the guides and to the experience that allowed me to learn. One month later some tell me they've made millions of profit while others tell me they've made millions of loss.

Assuming they had different "luck" is what makes you a sheep. Assuming that you have no control about what happens to you, is what leads you to the feeling of being "stuck". I'm no idiot - I know that you can't control everything but you can control a great amount of it. A big enough amount that has the potential to allow you to achieve what you desire.

There's research about people that are optimism and pessimism. The pessimistic people are most realistic than the optimistic. Yet people that are optimistic achieve more, because they try more times than the pesismistic people. Are we here to be "realistic" or to achieve what we deeply desire? Because if you are here to be realistic, don't play a fantasy game.

Futhermore, "competence" can be a very vague term. What do you mean by competence? Strategies that people use? Well, they were both following the same guide so you might realize that both group of people were using the same strategies. To me, it's more a question of what beliefs people have about what they can achieve.

I've met people IRL that tell me that almost every street has a business opportunity. And, in the same world (and streets), people are unemployed waiting for that call that will save their lives.

muggiwhplar
[ Display Name History ]

muggiwhplar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,002 posts

To add on to that, a lot of these discussions can boil down to one's locus of control. For those of you who don't know what that is, in a nutshell: having an external locus of control basically means you believe that your future is beyond your control and at the mercy of the world around you; having an internal locus of control means you believe that you're more or less in control of your destiny. Like Gemeos said, you can't control everything but you can control a great amount of it.

Numerous psych studies have shown that having an internal locus of control is very strongly correlated with happiness and success, for example:

https://www.psycholo...butor-happiness

http://www.researchg...ocus_of_Control

When it comes to RuneScape, if Jagex releases a game update which is unfavorable to your playstyle or beliefs, a player with an external locus of control wouldn't change their playstyle to adapt to the changes in order to become happy or successful; instead they'd just spend lots of time getting angry at Jagex, hoping that Jagex changes the game so they don't have to change themselves. A person with an internal locus of control would change their playstyle and adapt to the game update such that they can go back to being happy and successful as quickly as possible. Keep in mind, however, that sometimes the best way to adapt to a game update is to either take a break or quit playing the game altogether. That's what I did when EoC was released in RS3, at least, and I'm extremely satisfied with that decision.

77yLQy8.png

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users