Tip.It Times - 17th November 2013

tripsis

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

We've also extended the deadline to the finish-the-fictional contest to November 24th! If you want a chance to win 28 days of free membership, check out the forum topic for more details.

callingwriters.jpg

WRITE FOR THE TIMES - SUBMIT A GUEST ARTICLE:

Remember, YOU can write an article for the Tip.It Times! You can apply to write full time, or just submit a "one-off" guest article any time you want! Our editors will work with you to ensure that your article is ready for publication. All guest articles can be submitted to @tripsis or any other Editorial Panel member. For more information, including details on how to apply full time, read this forum thread: http://forum.tip.it/topic/209138-how-to-write-for-the-tipit-times/

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

[hide=Read these rules before posting in this thread]

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to tripsis by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

[/hide]

[hide=Submitting Crossword Puzzles]If you want to submit your own crossword puzzle, it's quite simple.

Simply provide a word list (about 10-20 words) with their corresponding clues. Then, message @The Floating Pen with the word list and it will eventually be published in the Tip.it Times![/hide]

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in an article then please PM them to @tripsis. :)

Enjoy the articles!

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Did Jagex release a how-to-play-Runescape video?

Mining with scrimshaws is gambling, wcing with scrimshaws is gambling, fishing for big sharks is gambling, receiving more herbs from seeds is entirely luck-based, smithing an extra bar is luck-based, getting herbs back is luck-based, getting seeds back is luck-based, RCing at ZMI altar is entirely luck-based, ... Pokemons difficulty and making it seem like a "long game": encounter pokemon and trainer everywhere you go which you have to fight with no getting-around. Oh, certainly not something to slow you down and very fun... (sarcasm) I prefer the sandbox-MMO; one can do as (s)he pleases and there is no "one way" to play the game.

This is an MMO, everything is luck-based. What's your solution exactly..? The new LS system? You didn't even explain what happened other then some vague references saying there's a decline in the luck-factor and an item got nerfed? i'm sure you'll point me out to some sentence I seem to have missed. 

Mining iron ore at yanille used to be the way to get your mining up (or powermine) now it's LRC, does that mean the metagame has also changed and we should all go to LRC or could I stick to yanille because I want to? I train skills because I want them to go up. Very satisfying, this game has changed nothing for me I still play it to waste a bit of time, is that so wrong? 

With all the mining/smithing reworks coming up it seems mining/smithing can be useful again. If you're not a merchantscumbag like myself you could get your fishing/cooking up for rocktails, DIY PoP Rocktail soups, get OVLS (herblore), 90 smithing/crafting/RCing for tank gear which will suffice at... all the bosses. Farming is a nice daily moneymaker, hunter has been useless from the start (I want expensive exotic pets!), Dungeoneering->chaotics, Construction was a moneysink from the start (yay skills!). I'd say the only real USELESS ones are fming (nobody can resist the twisted firestarter though), fletching & thieving.

Making fires is not going to make you money, fletching should be more rewarding, definetly.

Then there's THIEVING

fksjeb.jpg

Gambling is a sin but it's okay to pickpocket someone though.

i'd say skillers are the cheaters with all their scrimshaws, it's so unfair that they can hit higher then me at bosses.

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

HT4grJs.jpg

That aside, look at it this way. I'm well aware that you can play the game that way, the question is "why would you?". Why would you bother fishing your own food when you can kill monsters for the same amount of time and end up getting enough money to buy more food than you could have fished yourself? Why would you mine essence when the average slayer task gets you more essence? Where is the balance in that?

When the game tells you that you should do all of that, though, you cheat - not by gambling or merchanting, but by botting or buying gold. That's the point. I'm not attacking those styles (though I constantly have to fight the urge to), I'm attacking the fact that new and inexperienced players are essentially being given the wrong way to play. This is the kind of game where "How do I make money?" is the most common question. Guess which options are the most visible?

I left out the Pokemon stuff intentionally, because paraphrasing this would be too technical for a site where not everyone plays the game, and when only a relatively small portion of Pokemon players will be able to understand it.

• Like 2

Alg, just to get this right: You want something that can only be obtained by skiling themselves that is placed in the 95-99 region? So that the grinding is a means to an end, grinding to the reward that can only be obtained at 95-99 area?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

Generally, I'd like for it to be reasonable to train skills at the same rate as/alongside combats, and for the rewards to be useful by the time you get them*. If the new end goal is to max and be a boss hunter, design the game so that it supports that. As it is, we're playing a game where the "official" material says that you can play however you like, while only really rewarding one style.

Most skills haven't really changed since the old days, and to say their age is showing is an understatement. I'm not really satisfied with their promises here, because it really feels like everything that isn't a high-end boss has either proven lackluster or been delayed until next year.

*Birthright of the Dwarves requires stats in the low-mid 80s and is balanced so that you need at least T70 equipment (80+ recommended) to finish it, yet rewards you with the ability to wield the T60 staff and hammers. This is basically what I'm arguing against.

• Like 2

Posted this on reddit the other day but think it fits here to some degree.

"My main issue is that most end-game stuff is being funneled into bosses instead of skills. Most skills don't have the risk factor, but then again neither do most bosses nowadays, you may fail but you won't lose your gear anymore (except to maybe a server outage).

Would it be so hard to make tier 90 gear for skillers that might take a while and require high level untradeable drops, but is still available? PvM'ers could boss and do their thing to make money and skillers could skill. It might actually bring some money back to skilling.
Find a 1/1000 gem from mining some high level ore (currently probably rune or addy depending how hard to obtain it you want, could change after smithing/mining rework.) Then find a 1/1000 log from elder trees, a 1/1000 pearl from fishing rocktails, etc. Using high smithing and crafting to create the gear. Altogether it would take a while but at least PvM wouldn't have a stranglehold on high level moneymaking."

Just seems to be that Jagex wants to funnel everything into bossing in the end game when there are ways working with current mechanics to make skills useful. Skills could even be used to augment boss drops if thats what they wanted, but skills need to be made useful. Whatever way they do it, the main idea is that whatever it is cannot be made available through combat. You're right that combat drops make most skilling useless because you can earn more of that item from combat than from skilling in the same time period.

Honestly, I'd prefer a complete overhaul with combat drops. Have all creatures have specific drops at certain percentages. Bones and ashes could stay 100%. Everything else gets removed. No more monsters dropping runes, ores, herbs, armours etc...anything that should be the product of a skill is gone from the table. Abyssal demons would drop ashes 100% and have a rare chance at dropping abyssal whip pieces. Gather all 6 pieces and smith them along with say 25 adamant bars for each piece attached to another (so 125 adamant bars total) to make a whip. Other creatures that don't have rare drops could drop a certain seed. Banshees could become ranarr seed droppers...no more ranarrs would come from drops, they'd actually have to be farmed, etc. The issue is that combat has really become a one-stop shop....you don't need skills to augment it anymore.

I put up a suggestion with the idea a bit more fleshed out on forums but I doubt it will gain too much traction because there are a lot of pvm players and it would be a major adjustment. http://[Use Quick Find Code]/a=13/c=bxrNfKwRVzg/[Please Use QuickFind Code]?185,186,590,65212573

• Like 1

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19