Tip.It Times - 24th November 2013 - Oh, grow up! 1 down 5 to go

tripsis

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

We've also extended the deadline to the finish-the-fictional contest to November 24th! If you want a chance to win 28 days of free membership, check out the forum topic for more details.

callingwriters.jpg

WRITE FOR THE TIMES - SUBMIT A GUEST ARTICLE:

Remember, YOU can write an article for the Tip.It Times! You can apply to write full time, or just submit a "one-off" guest article any time you want! Our editors will work with you to ensure that your article is ready for publication. All guest articles can be submitted to @tripsis or any other Editorial Panel member. For more information, including details on how to apply full time, read this forum thread: http://forum.tip.it/topic/209138-how-to-write-for-the-tipit-times/

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

[hide=Read these rules before posting in this thread]

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to tripsis by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

[/hide]

[hide=Submitting Crossword Puzzles]If you want to submit your own crossword puzzle, it's quite simple.

Simply provide a word list (about 10-20 words) with their corresponding clues. Then, message @The Floating Pen with the word list and it will eventually be published in the Tip.it Times![/hide]

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in an article then please PM them to @tripsis. :)

Enjoy the articles!

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Great article Ts Stormrage!

It brought a smile of recognition to my face both about the game itself and this subject that I have played with myself.

One of my solutions was advertising and I gave a few suggestions, but I will happily admit your idea Is better, so good that I am repeating it here for the one or two ( if any) who might have only read my article.

" You're at home, eating your crappy TV-dinner with the wife and kids when suddenly an ad pipes up. It's for a game, but it doesn't say which one. It shows that what you see is only actual gameplay footage (not even cut-scenes, and if you have decent graphics capabilities you know that RuneScape looks pretty awesome these days). Your kids are getting excited, and they want it for Christmas. Then it says "Playable directly from your browser". That's great, now you can avoid the yearly recurring utter and total collapse of society during Black Friday (November 29th this year). Finally, at the end it says you can play it all for free, and only after that it shows you that it's RuneScape."

This also has to do with reality and perception, the image of RS certainly is different then the reality of the game.

An other thing that brought a smile to my face is both of us mentioning Monty Python, the great British comedy team of the past.. and now again present...  that I used as a 'coat hanger' (translated Dutch saying)  for my article.  Talk about translated Dutch, sadly it was not possible to have my article edited this week and not being native to English I think my articles need it, so please forgive the mistakes our wonderful editors normally remove.

Just a note-the deadline for the Finish-the-Fictional contest has now passed.  We're looking over entries now and will be publishing something further as soon as it's ready :).

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

It isn't difficult to say that RuneScape is currenty destroying itself with updates.  If you look around at other games, PvM mechanics are a huge aspect which draws ppl. That's one of the reasons why i used to play WoW up until MOP was released which killed my love for the game.  From a PvM view point, God Wars Hardmode was a brilliant addition, but still very easy in some respect, but they should have raised the Lifepoints the bosses have to live up to the 'hardmode' label.  Many tweeks can be made to certain parts of the game to revitalize it's player base.  I miss the days where players would create skill guilds, such as Fletching on w132 Yanille Bank.  Players have become too 'me me me' now-a-days.  A lot of things are just becoming too easy...

Ello_Pupet0.png

It isn't difficult to say that RuneScape is currenty destroying itself with updates.  If you look around at other games, PvM mechanics are a huge aspect which draws ppl. That's one of the reasons why i used to play WoW up until MOP was released which killed my love for the game.  From a PvM view point, God Wars Hardmode was a brilliant addition, but still very easy in some respect, but they should have raised the Lifepoints the bosses have to live up to the 'hardmode' label.  Many tweeks can be made to certain parts of the game to revitalize it's player base.  I miss the days where players would create skill guilds, such as Fletching on w132 Yanille Bank.  Players have become too 'me me me' now-a-days.  A lot of things are just becoming too easy...

Too easy? The last several updates have introduced bosses that most people are unable of defeating. Vorago and Barrows Elite are both only able to be conquered by a relatively small portion of the player base. Is that not hard enough for you?

4NIrZ.png

Too easy? The last several updates have introduced bosses that most people are unable of defeating. Vorago and Barrows Elite are both only able to be conquered by a relatively small portion of the player base. Is that not hard enough for you?

Indeed, a point I make about the Rise of the Six in my article.  But, looking at the reaction by Ello Puppet it may be a good thing we have this kind of specialized content.. that is IF it makes the game retain some players.  Still TS made the point the game needs more new ppl, one I obviously, looking at my earlier articles , agree with big time. I am 100% sure the game needs a lot of new people more then to retain the top. 

Indeed, a point I make about the Rise of the Six in my article.  But, looking at the reaction by Ello Puppet it may be a good thing we have this kind of specialized content.. that is IF it makes the game retain some players.  Still TS made the point the game needs more new ppl, one I obviously, looking at my earlier articles , agree with big time. I am 100% sure the game needs a lot of new people more then to retain the top. 

My 'easy' remark was in relation to GWD Hardmode. Not Vorago and RO6.  These two bosses do show Jagex heading in the right direction for PvM mechanics.  Requring teams to work as a unified team rather then just going at it. 

Ello_Pupet0.png

My 'easy' remark was in relation to GWD Hardmode. Not Vorago and RO6.  These two bosses do show Jagex heading in the right direction for PvM mechanics.  Requring teams to work as a unified team rather then just going at it. 

I completely disagree there. Having a couple bosses like that are fine, but basically requiring things like skype and other voice chats in order to do pvm is awful. One of the reasons I play rs is that I don't have to worry about voice chat. Then again, I have issues and I suppose they shouldn't have to design around everyone's neurotic tendencies.

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

I miss the days where players would create skill guilds, such as Fletching on w132 Yanille Bank.  Players have become too 'me me me' now-a-days.  A lot of things are just becoming too easy...

The community is the main reason why the game is less fun nowadays compared to before, IMO.
  • Like 4

Additionally those skill guilds still exist. w100 / 138 for crystal trees, the lfm/lrc worlds, dg world, bonfire world, etc. They exist, often right under your nose. People still engage each other in those places, sometimes even pleasantly. Don't forget that friends and clan chats allowed people to skill apart from eachother yet still talk.

You have to roll with the change and go to where the people are.

• Like 1

hzvjpwS.gif

I enjoyed the article you wrote TS_Stormrage. Covered many points I was thinking. I've moved on to WoW and at social events sometimes RuneScape pops up in conversation. We're all in our 20s but many of us remember it as the game with crappy graphics, simple gameplay but a fun community. No real desire to return after logging in and getting bombarded with all sorts of popups and clutter.

The TV adverts were very misleading.

I will forever remember RS as the game with crappy graphics and one of the most parasitic, self-absorbed and outright sadistic communities I've ever encountered. Jagex did a fine job perpetuating that for years and years with the way the death system worked, the way PvP was designed, and their fetish for releasing skilling spots that deliberately forced players to compete with each other for spawns that were too limited. Thankfully, they seem to have turned away from that now.

You ask why do I play then if I hate the graphics and I hate the people who play it? Well, thankfully when they killed PKing most of the worst offenders left the game. PKers in RS are a breed of nasty I have never seen in any other game. But, I can still enjoy myself in the game anyway. Honestly the graphics aren't that bad (and only superficial gamers judge a game solely on how pretty it looks) and I can choose to ignore the annoying people and instead do things with my friends.

• Like 2

4NIrZ.png

well other games have kind have outclassed RuneScape even with the updates and changes. Say the new skill divination another skill were you watch tv while you let your character do something......something like league you are improving your skill as a player and you are competing or cooperating with other players. The graphics in scape aren't as crappy as before but are still not that great. The Eoc change wasn't liked by many players rs combat could have went in a different direction even if they wanted to change. other digital distribution has changed the way you can access games so rs 5 bucks a month that was raised to 7 bucks a month is no longer the cheapest thing you can get in gaming when you consider f2p games or when you consider buying a game for  a few dollars on steam..

SOF /solomons also made rs seem more like a generic f2p game than a subscribtion game. Sof even made it pay to win and that makes it a bit unappealing to people that want fair competitions of their skills. 

And yeah a bunch of gamers have said that they accually did like rs but they didn't after eoc or alot of people grew out of it just because not having enough time for gaming or if they do game the same or more hours per day they want more out of the expirience....

But putting effort into a skill like dungeoneering made a game like rs stay fresh and interesting compared to "why would I do this skill?"

StarViv.png

I don't see how baby unicorns are any more out of place than puppies or kittens. The game has had unicorns since Classic, and they make much more sense as pets than, say, abyssal demons or tooth golems.

• Like 1

I don't see how baby unicorns are any more out of place than puppies or kittens. The game has had unicorns since Classic, and they make much more sense as pets than, say, abyssal demons or tooth golems.

It might be more the way they look.. very 'my little pony' .

Just going to give the reason why I quit, I know a lot of people feel the same way, but a lot of people don't and can respect that.

EOC completely killed all forms of pures, or alternative ways of playing 'competitively'. One of the greatest things in runescape was that you didn't have to focus on just max skill total, you could work on making an account designed just for pvp. When starting a new account to pvp/play with the day before EOC's release you could have chosen:

Turmoil Berserker, Turmoil hybrid, 43 /52 pray berserker, 52 pray hybrid, 40 defense hybrid, 33 defense turmoil pure, chaotic/godsword/whip/dragon of the previous, barrows pure/hybrid, cannon pure, range 1 def pure, hybrid 1 def pure, melee 1 def pure at all different levels, 1 pray pure, 1 pray main, obby pure, cvls pure, 20 defense pvp equip pure, rune gloves pure, range tank, arma storm tank, summoning tank, summoning pure, obby tank, low str high att/def veracer, iban pure, 10 hp dbow pure, dfs pure, sara sword pure, 11 pray mage pure, d claw rush pure, korasis pure, 99hp summ pure, poly staff pure,gmaul pure, black mask slayer pure and so many many many more unique accounts and challenges to work and play with.

After EOC's release you have:

Range/Mage/Melee.

Not that it really matters as people will only ever fight if you are using the same style. Your levels don't matter and your equipment does nothing unique.

I kept with EOC for a good 3 months after its release, and hated it.

Also as for Solomon's store, that was exactly how it should have been done, the SOF should never have existed.

Quoting myself on an old post here and still feel that is why I quit and have no desire to come back, I don't mean to detract from peoples personal achievements but in my and a lot of other players views there is nothing difficult or engaging left in runescape, now a lot of people don't mind this and are happy grinding for 200mil slayer exp on 5 different accounts, however this is not a realistic popular drive for normal people. You can see from twitch streaming view counts how few people care about anything competitive in rs3 compared to 2007scape, which is a much smaller game.

For so many people training, skilling and questing in runescape where means to an ends for creating perfect pking accounts, and that is just gone. 

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

I miss the days where players would create skill guilds, such as Fletching on w132 Yanille Bank.  Players have become too 'me me me' now-a-days.  A lot of things are just becoming too easy...

The community is the main reason why the game is less fun nowadays compared to before, IMO.

Efficiency-Scape kinda killed my motivation to play what's now RS3 - it became the norm to play 6 hour days at 100% max efficiency with no room for "fun" activities.  It's just a whole different vibe than the game had before.  It's nice in that there's a lot of high level content and people to do it, but there's no longer a real "noob" class in the game anymore.  Everyone and their dog is maxed/comped.

• Like 1

R.I.P Shiva and The Old Nite

Visit My Huge Goals!!! <---- Click This

My Pk Gallery

supdefnubew6.png

GWD: 3x Saradomin Sword, 2x Saradomin Hilt, 2X B Boots, 1x Tasset, 2X B Plate, 2X Shard, 1X D Med

TDs: 3x Solo Claws, 1x Solo Armour Piece

99 Untrimmed HP, 0% Pc'd and before Soul Wars -- Trimmed July 1, 2009

First Untrimmed HP Cape to 96 summon, top 300 to 96 summon

Proud owner of the strength, magic, range, and hitpoints capes.

Spa_Ins/LOLCANADA on IRC.

Efficiency-Scape kinda killed my motivation to play what's now RS3 - it became the norm to play 6 hour days at 100% max efficiency with no room for "fun" activities.  It's just a whole different vibe than the game had before.  It's nice in that there's a lot of high level content and people to do it, but there's no longer a real "noob" class in the game anymore.  Everyone and their dog is maxed/comped.

But you don't have to play like that. Ignore the people who are jerks about efficiency. Play with whatever playstyle suits you-- it is a GAME. It's meant to be something you kill time with and have fun doing it.

I have clocked over 383 DAYS of game time in RS (i.e, literally over 9000 hours), and a large percentage of that was spent doing absolutely nothing productive. Bank-standing and chatting with friends.

4NIrZ.png

But you don't have to play like that. Ignore the people who are jerks about efficiency. Play with whatever playstyle suits you-- it is a GAME. It's meant to be something you kill time with and have fun doing it.

I have clocked over 383 DAYS of game time in RS (i.e, literally over 9000 hours), and a large percentage of that was spent doing absolutely nothing productive. Bank-standing and chatting with friends.

Easier said than done.

Many multiplayer activies (even some single-player ones) are less enjoyable, and in some cases nearly impossible to do because a vast part of the community has turned towards the "no-xp-waste" mentality.

I wouldn't blame the 'efficiency mentality' for the decline of the game. It's just much more obvious that the game is about throwing in the hours, when every boss and pvp minigame requires at least 500m in equipment. Certainly, old-style barraging in Castle Wars was expensive, but it would a) provide xp and b) require a lot less in terms of equipment. When before, you could talk about welfaring a boss/minigame because at least your weapons were fairly cheap (chaotic certainly, but also polypore, dragon defender, barrows gloves), meaning you would get kills but not staying power, now you just need your ascensions to even get a single Vorago kill. Essentially, the fun parts of the game are now after the grindy part, instead of alongside.

• Like 1

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted