Behind the Scenes- December

Ambler

116 members have voted

1. 1. Which god will you side with for World Event 2?

• Armadyl
    • Bandos
    • Neither

Behind the Scenes - December 2013

A new Slayer creature, World Event 2 and the Festive Aura… It must be Christmas!

Christmas Updates

This year we have a sack-load of special treats to fill all of Gielinor with Christmas spirit!

Up to Snow Good

After his catastrophic loss during the Battle of Lumbridge, Zamorak has been looking for an opportunity to vent his frustrations and get some revenge on the population of Gielinor. What better way than to ruin Christmas? He’s tasked one of his demons, San’tar Klaws - with orders to lock up Santa, burn Christmas trees and generally kick anything festive in its tinsel-wrapped behind.

In a brand-new, fun-filled update, stacked with Christmas cheer and cheesy puns, you’ll be asked to pick between the 'Naughty' and 'Nice' lists. Do you want to revel in a Zamorakian Christmas filled with chaos and disorder, or do you hunger for a traditional, happy, pudding- and-present-filled holiday? Meet up with old pals from Christmases gone by, and enjoy a new pet, tinsel scarf, Christmas emote and a very silly Christmas jumper.

Festive Aura

This year the Festive Aura makes a triumphant return after a year of hiding in the RS office Christmas decoration box. It’s available to all members on the 1st of December, gives you a 50% XP boost for 30 minutes each and every day during December, and has a shiny set of snowflake wings too. If you've already got one, it'll kick in again from the 1st of the month. If not, pick one up from the helpful snow imps hanging around the game.

12 15 Days of Xmas

Why have only 12 days of Christmas when you can have 15 instead? In Gielinor, the Guthixian calendar - in all its glorious wisdom - has decreed that 15 days is far more suitable.

From the 20th December to the 3rd of January, we are introducing a new Festive Cracker to the game, obtainable via unique challenges, special competitions, events and just generally playing the game. Each cracker will contain rewards, but only a few will contain a brand new tradeable rare…the black Santa hat! Anyone wearing Christmas outfits will get an increased drop chance, so we’re looking forward to seeing everyone in all their glorious Yuletide bling!

Talk to the helpful snow imps (found near several lodestones) during the 15 days of Christmas for more info.

The Bird and the Beast - the Second World Event

The Bird and the Beast is the next player-driven turning point of the new god struggles of the Sixth Age. It’s an amazing new update, featuring optional, open-world PvP and huge amounts of player interaction, running over a six-week period.

Two gods strive to hold key points over Misthalin and Asgarnia long enough to exploit the new divination skill to their own ends, against a backdrop of frequent Godless interference and the occasional mighty golem war machine.

Armadyl_News-28165024.jpg

Armadyl - self-styled god of Justice and advocate of friendly human-god relations - and Bandos - the Big High War God who favours personal strength and individual achievement as a path to power and glory - seek adventurers to help with the construction of mighty weapons of war. Doing so requires vast quantities of divine energy, but since the super-concentrated divine tears dried up with the fading of the Lumbridge crater, the only way to find it is by the efforts of skilled diviners.

Bandos_News-28165102.jpg

Convoys roll across the land, filled with caravans and diviners protected by bodyguards and supported by hasty constructions in tactically significant spots. The faithful rush to fill their own caravans with energy via divination, to hamper and destroy those of the enemy in combat, or to claim land for their side by building aid structures - and at any time, vicious skirmishes may break out across the land. Those who join either Armadyl or Bandos will earn not only god-themed set armour with the potential to speed up ability cooldowns, but also entirely new combat abilities for PvP and PvE. Experience in Construction, Divination and Combat is available for all players, while those who choose to opt in to PvP will be able to gain Prayer XP as well.

Pick your side carefully, in the knowledge that the outcome of this fight will most certainly prove fatal to one of the leading gods of the Sixth Age pantheon.

Harbingers of Tuska

This month, new high-level Slayer creatures enter the game, and with them arrive the first forays of Tuska: the boar-beast god who destroyed Guthix’s homeland.

HoT_News-28165141.jpg

The creatures themselves- known as the airut - have a massive level 92 slayer requirement, meaning only the toughest heroes will get to fight them. You’ll need your very best gear to stand a chance against these formidable foes, who are capable of switching combat styles at will and fully utilise all the elements of the new combat system. You’ll certainly be able to wade in using the Momentum ability, but masters of the adrenaline bar will find far greater success.

Rewards available include the razorback gauntlets – the first ever level 90 gloves - new bones, and pieces of a Tuska mask that can be traded and completed for Combat XP.

The update even comes with an Early Bird Bonus, so those who take up arms against the harbingers will receive extra XP returns for the first few weeks of launch.

Special drops and primitive cave drawings have also been added for the lore hounds, giving information on Tuska, Guthix’s homeworld and also warning the world of the impending doom that they represent.

Once released, you’ll find them near the Phoenix Lair, south-west of Piscatoris, and in Kuradal's Dungeon.

Solomon’s General Store

It’s also a busy month for Solomon, with legendary reindeer pets, living presents, player designed Christmas outfits, Bandos and Armadyl-themed costumes, and even some retro armour.

Premier Club

Finally, we’ve been looking at the exciting second year of the premier package- a special deal where you can secure 3, 6 or 12 months of membership for hugely discounted prices and earn yourself a bunch of new rewards! Highlights include flying piggy pets, bonus daily spins, Loyalty Points, access to VIP worlds, free game-card promotional items and a VIP badge, displayed in all of your in-game chat and forum posts! Plus, for the first time, you can use Bonds to pay for the packages, so if want to treat yourself to an early present using your in-game items, you can!

It won’t be available for long, so if you want to join the most exclusive club of 2014, make sure you join up quick!

Have fun and merry Christmas to all of you. Whatever you’re doing this holiday, make it RuneScapey!

Mod Mark

Design Director - RuneScape

Discuss this on the forums.

Behind the Scenes Video

Mod Mark takes you through these Yuletide updates in person:

What is a 'Behind the Scenes' article?

Behind the Scenes is a sneak peek at the planned game updates that we hope to launch in the coming month.

This, however, is only a plan - not a promise - that a particular update will be released in a particular way or at a particular time. To get you the highest quality updates as quickly as possible, we usually keep on tweaking and testing right up until the moment before release, so sometimes things change or take a bit longer than expected. We aren't afraid to change our plan if necessary, as we will never launch an update before it is ready.

(Sorry if there's any formatting errors, I'll fix them later)

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

Yay a new rare I will have no chance of getting.

Apart from that though, December looks pretty damn good.

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

How do you join the premier club?

Purchase a 3 month/6 month/12 month subscription

xcsx7c.png | 3gliP.jpg | 51y5tv.png  |  8mO5K.jpg

A Blog to Bathtubs for Beginners
Quest Cape | 99 Defence Achieved 11-Jul-2011 17:41 | 99 Prayer 11-Jul-2012 | 99 Constitution 02-Aug-2012

99 Attack 31/10/2012 | 99 Dungeoneering 31/10/2012 | 99 Strength 31/10/2012 | 99 Magic 2/12/2012

99 Range 16/12/2012 | 99 Herblore 25/12/2012 | 99 Summoning 4/1/2013 | 99 Firemaking 6/3/2013

99 Farming 10/4/2013 | 99 Slayer 11/7/2013 | 99 Fletching 21/8/2013  |  99 Smithing 22/8/2013 

99 Crafting 19/12/2013  |  99 Cooking 15/1/2014  |  99 Agility 25/1/2014  |  99 Thieving 01/02/2014

99 Construction 21/04/2014  |  99 Woodcutting 04/03/2014  |  99 Fishing 17/04/2014  |  99 Mining 23/07/2015

99 Divination 27/07/2015  |  99 Runecrafting 20/08/2015  |  99 Hunter 20/08/2015  | Maxed 20/08/2015

Those who join either Armadyl or Bandos will earn not only god-themed set armour with the potential to speed up ability cooldowns, but also entirely new combat abilities for PvP and PvE.

Oh, that's great. Let's give an even GREATER advantage to current players/those who don't have a life over the Holidays and F#$! everybody else. They BETTER make a way to obtain this stuff after the event.

4NIrZ.png

Those who join either Armadyl or Bandos will earn not only god-themed set armour with the potential to speed up ability cooldowns, but also entirely new combat abilities for PvP and PvE.

Oh, that's great. Let's give an even GREATER advantage to current players/those who don't have a life over the Holidays and F#$! everybody else. They BETTER make a way to obtain this stuff after the event.

Do you do anything besides complain?  :geek:

I think this second event will be awesome. And I hope Bandos dies.

• Like 3

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

I think this second event will be awesome. And I hope Bandos dies.

I provide criticism for ideas that are completely retarded.

Giving out new combat abilities for something that is a limited-time event completely screws new players as well as people who don't have much play time during December because they go out of town or what have you. It's simply unfair if there is not an alternate method available to obtain these rewards.

4NIrZ.png

It’s also a busy month for Solomon, with legendary reindeer pets, living presents, player designed Christmas outfits, Bandos and Armadyl-themed costumes, and even some retro armour.

5wTDx.jpg

PLEASE

• Like 10

xcsx7c.png | 3gliP.jpg | 51y5tv.png  |  8mO5K.jpg

A Blog to Bathtubs for Beginners
Quest Cape | 99 Defence Achieved 11-Jul-2011 17:41 | 99 Prayer 11-Jul-2012 | 99 Constitution 02-Aug-2012

99 Attack 31/10/2012 | 99 Dungeoneering 31/10/2012 | 99 Strength 31/10/2012 | 99 Magic 2/12/2012

99 Range 16/12/2012 | 99 Herblore 25/12/2012 | 99 Summoning 4/1/2013 | 99 Firemaking 6/3/2013

99 Farming 10/4/2013 | 99 Slayer 11/7/2013 | 99 Fletching 21/8/2013  |  99 Smithing 22/8/2013 

99 Crafting 19/12/2013  |  99 Cooking 15/1/2014  |  99 Agility 25/1/2014  |  99 Thieving 01/02/2014

99 Construction 21/04/2014  |  99 Woodcutting 04/03/2014  |  99 Fishing 17/04/2014  |  99 Mining 23/07/2015

99 Divination 27/07/2015  |  99 Runecrafting 20/08/2015  |  99 Hunter 20/08/2015  | Maxed 20/08/2015

Giving out new combat abilities for something that is a limited-time event completely screws new players as well as people who don't have much play time during December because they go out of town or what have you. It's simply unfair if there is not an alternate method available to obtain these rewards.

There were other ways to gain the (non-cosmetic) rewards in the last world event, I don't see why this would be any different.

• Like 3

[hide=Bitter, hateful, miserable anger here that likely makes no sense -- you've been warned.]

WHAT THE [bleep]

WELL I'M SO GLAD WE'RE NOT GETTING THE CONSTRUCTION REWORK. A NEW SLAYER MONSTER AND A DRAWN OUT GOD EVENT WAS SO WORTH IT YEAH. YEAH! SO WORTH IT. OH DON'T FORGET THE BLACK SANTA HAT, YEAH. THAT'S COOL. RIGHT?? GUYS WE'RE SO COOL.

ajfhagsjdfkjnealgskjids bgsdhisfars bdjgryehrsf hausa ty utt 8rqwue[y wtiu gt hytj[/hide]

tumblr_m6r9cvzeLP1qdq5cn.gif

Ahem.

The new god content sounds like warbands without the wilderness honestly. I still think 6 weeks is too long, but it's nice that it's not a 10 week slog like Battle of Lumbridge. That said it sounds like it will be neat and fun. Tip.it pking skype call anyone? :)

The Harbingers sound annoyingly like a fancy tormented demon. I'm not really looking forward to it, especially since one of its signature drops seems to be a mask which grants combat exp. Considering most people 92+ slayer generally don't need combat exp, that sounds lackluster. Still there will be tons of money in the razorback gloves. I just don't think I'll bother with them because easier moneymaking options exist aka frost dragons and such.

It's actually a valid concern. The ability balance hasn't been that great in the past. Unless the abilities are EXACTLY the same in what they do, you'll have people choosing one side over the other simply for best dps abilities. I understand why they implemented something like this - enticing people to take allegiance seriously - but this doesn't seem like the most inspired choice.

• Like 2

hzvjpwS.gif

There were other ways to gain the (non-cosmetic) rewards in the last world event, I don't see why this would be any different.

Its also going to be a 6 week event. I'm sure you can find some time in there to get the rewards.

Watched the video did some pausing on the VIP package and it seems rather disappointing this year. No runecoins, but you get 150k loyalty points, its $12 more then it was last year. You do get 2 new pets and access to a VIP world + some name badge things but overall doesn't seem like that good of a deal. As someone who is at the 5.95 rate I only pay $71/year, I bought it last year because for $3 I'll take the extra runecoins but loyalty points are lame.

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

Pleasantly surprised that World Event 2 is coming sooner than expected. Looking forward to the what I assume will be global PVP. Armour rewards sound marginally more useful than S/Z warpriest.

Zamorak stealing Christmas? That's kind of low for him, isn't it.

Also retro kits! Can't wait.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

If Rangers get a Meta, and their specials boosted, I will consider this month a monumental success. That is all,

As for the Santa Hat, it won't be more than a new Fish Mask. Decades before it will become rare. Nothing to worry about.

Also, the Retro kits; will they be an override on anything, or only on Pernix/Torva/Virtus?

in case you haven't paid attention, the first sets of armor were put into GWD, and these next two gods are ALSO in the GWD, so maybe, just maybe, there's a pattern here???

what you really should be getting mad about is that this special is way better than the random defense special

• Like 3

8f14270694.jpg

No runecoins, but you get 150k loyalty points, its $12 more then it was last year.

If they're already using up-front extra loyalty points as special enticing extras, then the whole point of loyalty points has gone out the window. Might as well just merge the system with runecoins and simplify things by making auras buyable with coins. Seems that's what they're trying to do anyway. After all, why would I want to (barely) buy a bank booster when I can buy supreme <whatever aura> that I can't get with anything else?

I hope the VIP world will convert an existing world rather than adding a new one. We definitely don't need more worlds available.

hzvjpwS.gif

Can't wait for new premier club, missed out on last years.

The zammy themed xmas event sounds fun but the santa hat rares are just a bad idea.

World event 2..can't wait, let's hope they kill of Armadyl, the one God I really can't stand.

Slayer monster sounds interesting but i'll probably never bother with.

Quest Cape Achieved 10/08/2012

TFU: Ruinous Edge

TFUsig2_zpsc5e7f1a4.png

A piece of glass in the sand under your feet, it cuts you deep and it makes you hate the beauty that you see.

-img snip-

PLEASE

Why does it only let me like once :(

First impressions: slayer monster nice, hopefully gets put in Kuradal's, world event sounds a little more well thought out than last time. Not sure if I'll get premier membership this year - I did last time, and there was a period of several months where I would not otherwise have been a member. Fool me once... We'll see.

Asmodean <3

Overall sounds like a good month.

Bit disappointed that after being told a while back that we'd be getting "back to normal" with quests and that there was 4 due this year we've only had 2; but I'm sure I'll cope.

Seems like a strange month really in that only 1 content update is permanent.

1 will just be around for 2 weeks, 1 for 15 days and 1 for 6 weeks.

not sure how I feel about them introducing a new tradable rare - I thought they were attempting to fix the economy tradable rares are kind a problem in that.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

5wTDx.jpg

PLEASE

Dragon_2h_sword_detail_old.png

PLEASE

Black_armour_%28g%29_old.png PLEAES

• Like 3

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum