Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

11-Dec-2013 - The Bird and the Beast (World Event 2)

• Please log in to reply
530 replies to this topic

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts

The annoying bit is that players who don't care about the lore are still going to have a hand in shaping it for everyone, and the scale of these decisions only increases with each update.

Ts_Stormrage
[ Display Name History ]

Ts_Stormrage

A storm is coming...

• Editorial Panel
  • 3,747 posts

Exactly, so: 

Honestly I think players should be forced into witnessing some lore before even taking a side so that the people who actually care about the outcome aren't hampered by their ignorant, oblivious, or apathetic peers. Perhaps they should create a new quest that must be completed before one enters the event next time. 

Death of Chivalry is one, and that quest should be another requirement for one that shows Armadyl's true colors (and has very meager rewards), which in turn should be a requirement for participation of this Saradomin v Armadyl event...

Make it have unescapable cutscenes WITH sound and subtitles, referencing other gods as well, so at least some information gets in...

On top of that, it should be so that people's efforts beyond their cap should count just as much (but perhaps with much much less XP), and any form of organisation should far outweigh that of massive numbers just doing whatever...

The REAL question I'd like to see now is this one:

How does Mod Mark, the head of RuneScape in charge of development of everything etc etc, feel about players having lined up overwhelmingly on the side opposing his favourite god, resulting in its predicted, promised and inevitable demise?

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

SwreeTak
[ Display Name History ]

SwreeTak

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,739 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:SwreeTak
  • Clan:Arcane Chroniclers

The little goblin that allows you to rewatch the cutscenes makes a prediction that Saradomin will next face off with Armadyl... Do you think Jagex put that in there by accident?

No, but history has told us that Jagex likes to hide little red herrings whenever an NPC predicts something. Saradomin Vs Armadyl is going to be a very tough choice, however I feel the winds of popularity will go towards Saradomin purely on name recognition. The majority of players probably don't know jack about the sixth age alone, let alone a decent level of lore outside of "I killed this guy and he dropped loot."

I don't think thats wholey true I think overall peoples choices in world events fall in to 3 categories:

1) The guys who care about the lore and pick accordingly - in terms of sara vs arma I feel arma would have the egde here since sara is basically a jerk.

2) The guys who go for the 'good' or 'evil' side - this could be hard to call but I feel even if they've only played low end content Sara comes off more 'evil' than arma, so I'd guess this one would tip in arma's favour too

3) The whoever is winning/losing guys - Kind impossible to call until such an event begins.

Personally I think arma vs sara would be a much closer fight than the ones we've had so far but on the basis of the 'good' guy winning and people who know the lore I think armadyl would be the one with the best odds on winning.

I got to say that I agree completely with these 3 dots above. Especially interesting I do think that number 3 is; A huge lot of players just seems to go with whichever god seems to be the strongest. In my opinion this is really quite sad. Players should at least take the effort to read up on the basics of the lore (plenty of people on this thread brought up the idea of some kind of mandatory lore-info session before taking part in the event - Great idea!) before they make their decision on who to follow. To just go with the flow is something that disturbs me...I do know that it is a game and all. But still. It is such an epic event with a huge lot on stake. At least you could pick a god based on something, even if it is just based on which god looks the coolest. It really isn't that hard!

Anyway, it will be really interesting to see if Jagex really decides to put Saradomin versus Armadyl in a World Event. In that case I do think that Armadyl will be winning just like you, Sy. He is seen as the more good guy of the two. And of course I as an Armadylean will be doing my best to support him. No matter which God he faces.

Screeeee!

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

strilmus
[ Display Name History ]

strilmus

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,910 posts

you're not counting the mercenaries who just go with the guy that's paying the best?

8f14270694.jpg

SwreeTak
[ Display Name History ]

SwreeTak

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,739 posts
  • RSN:SwreeTak
  • Clan:Arcane Chroniclers

you're not counting the mercenaries who just go with the guy that's paying the best?

Hehe, I think those are kind of included into group 3. Well, kinda at least. And honestly the rewards on both sides this far have been very similair. Pretty much the only thing which seperates them are the design of the armour, the titles/overrides as well as the emotes.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Scherzo
[ Display Name History ]

Scherzo

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • RSN:Scherzo
  • RSN2:Arnie Arnie

I wonder if group 3 even makes a difference. If they are all going to flock around one god, then that god was already winning beforehand. The chance of having an event so balanced that the lead changes during the event is slim, I think. So all this group does, if my thinking's right, is make the difference between the losing and winning god bigger.

It will be interesting to see future matchups though, Two "evil" or two "good" gods would make it a lot less predictable than the two we've had so far.

Drazhor
[ Display Name History ]

Drazhor

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  • RSN:Drazhor

Q&A up with reference to WE2 aftermath.

Bandos's mace is NOT an Elder Artifact as some people thought

Posted Image
Visit my blog! Click the madness for more madness!

ilovecuttingyews
[ Display Name History ]

ilovecuttingyews

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,008 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
Could withholding the score for say one week help to cut down on those bandwagon jumpers? Sure people can switch, but I personally think it would push people to the side they want to win rather than jumping on the winning team so you get a truer proportion of peoples allegiances.
If after one week Arma is up 60-40 and the revelation of that prompts people to switch gods, would it be any different than if they could switch or pick the leading god on day one? I think it would.

W aldo
[ Display Name History ]

W aldo

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 137 posts

Or they could just not put it up at all

Hedgehog
[ Display Name History ]

Hedgehog

???

• Monster Hunting Team Leader
  • 7,789 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired

I wonder if group 3 even makes a difference. If they are all going to flock around one god, then that god was already winning beforehand. The chance of having an event so balanced that the lead changes during the event is slim, I think. So all this group does, if my thinking's right, is make the difference between the losing and winning god bigger.

It will be interesting to see future matchups though, Two "evil" or two "good" gods would make it a lot less predictable than the two we've had so far.

That made me realize a big problem with world events: there's no possibility of a god making a comeback; it's essentially determined on the first day. I guess I always knew this, but it never really hit me.

I think you could fix this by making the marginal benefit of each person decrease to 0. For example, if it were Armadyl vs Bandos again, they could limit the number of people allowed to work on a site to 5. You'd have to kill someone to take their spot. The more popular side could probably stand around and pile every opposing player, but I don't think that'd be too common due to the lack of xp and if it did, that side probably deserves to win.

strilmus
[ Display Name History ]

strilmus

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,910 posts

actually, this has been resolved by, of all places, neopets, by just weighing the AVERAGE performance of all of the players in a faction, minus a percentage of the lowest performing players, in addition to players that joined, but didn't actually participate, in order to combat fraud

granted, they kind of messed up the system in the following years, but overall the concept is pretty sound

they would have to modify the event to force all of the players on every server to compete with each other directly, instead of scattering them like they do now, though

however, any way you slice it, it's always going to be a popularity contest

8f14270694.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users