RuneScape 2014 - Power to the Players

Th e Doctor

The new year's almost here, and we're resolved to make 2014 the best year in RuneScape's history. For that to happen, though, things need to change. We'vetaken stock of 2013 - what went well, and what not so well - and our new year's resolution is clear.

In 2014, we're taking RuneScape back to its roots – making it a truly collaborative effort between developers and the community. I don’t just mean things like picking the results of in-game battles or the occasional content poll – it needs to be more radical than that. I want to give the power to the players to decide what we do and when it happens.

The New Poll System

In mid-January, we’re going to launch a new in-game poll system, which will give members at least one new content poll to vote on each week. In total, there will be up to seven guaranteed content polls each month, covering a range of topics including quests, minigames, combat updates, skills, bosses, reworks, core gameplay changes and much more besides. Polls dealing with the biggest questions might last as long as a month, whereas smaller polls might run for seven days.

These polls will decide which content we work on first and what direction to take while developing them. You won’t need to worry if your favourite option doesn’t quite make the cut – valid content will appear again in future polls.

The polls will also focus on things that really mean something to you: high-level content; important game storylines; and the everyday mechanics of the game that you spend much of your time with.

It’s not possible to ask all the big burning questions straight away so we’ve tried to get a real mix of things in for each month. So - what are the polls we're launching with in January?

• Invention vs Elf City: our biggest and most anticipated updates. Which do you want first?
  • What type of Easter event do you want? Traditional fun with bunnies and eggs, or a comedy 6th Age event featuring Marimbo and Brassica Prime?
  • Which group of creatures should receive a drop table rework first?
  • Which new dragon would you like to be added to game?
  • Decide on a themed map for the brand-new, secret minigame we're working on!
  • Should we change the quantity and type of game worlds?

These are just the very start, but give you an idea of how wide-reaching the polls will be. Each week there will be another important decision for the community. In time, I’m keen on having your suggestions to go into the poll system too.

Polls - when completed - will be commissioned as new projects, and work will begin on them straight away! Each piece of content will have an ETA, and we'll keep you updated as development progresses.

We'll Handle the Rest

There will be a few things we won’t be asking for votes on. We’re focused on the future, so we won't be polling things from the past like EoC, or things essential to the day-to-day upkeep of the business, such as microtransactions. While we do need your feedback on these things, they're not what the new poll system is for - you'll be able to give us your thoughts on the forums, as always.

We also still need to make updates for smaller groups of players, or updates that attract new players to the game, which won’t be appropriate for large-scale polling.

Overall, though, the majority of content updates - and all major updates - will have been selected by you.

Here's to the Future

The Power to the Players poll system is the cornerstone of our plans for RuneScape in 2014, but we’ve got some other important changes in the works, too.

• Firstly, we want to increase emphasis on high-level content. New content from last couple of years has been aimed at quite a wide spread of player levels, so we’re going to focus more specifically at higher level content and activities for veterans.
  • Secondly, we need to increase the number of quests we release. This year we really upped the fidelity and depth of quests, but in doing so sacrificed quantity. So we’re going to have more of a mix: from epic quests full of innovative content and high production values, to traditional, more story-focus quests like we’ve made in years past.
  • Thirdly, we’re going to improve the everyday gameplay experience by having our Ninja Team focus on fixing niggling issues, implementing quick-win features and listening to your suggestions for small-scale improvements. This should improve everyone's quality of life within RuneScape.

As always, we’re being ambitious, but with hard work and your help, everything here can be achieved. Above all else, we’re determined to make RuneScape the game you want it to be.

I’m sure that you’ve got lots of questions after that little lot. For now, take a look at our Power to the Players FAQ, and look out for more info leading up to the launch of the polls in the week of January 13th!

Thanks for reading. See you in 2014!

Mod Mark

RuneScape Design Director

Discuss this on the forums.

I for one am oddly optimistic about this.

witchynosaur.png

Armadyl Drops : 4 Hilts; 3 Chestplates; 2 Chainskirts; 1 Helmet; 1 Buckler; 2 Shard 1; 2 Shard 2; 1 Shard 3

Nex : 1 Zaryte Bow

Kalphite King : 1 Drygore Rapier ; 1 Drygore Longsword : 1 Drygore Offhand Rapier : 1 Drygore Offhand Longsword

imo it deserves its own thread as it is a rolling thing. Every week from the 13th on...

• Like 1

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

I think it does deserve a new topic as well. This could go well, I think. Or it could go horribly with polls ending up being "obvious".

Also, as said on other threads... anyone who votes for something other than Priffdinas... I don't care who or where you are, I will find you.

• Like 3

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

'Power to the players'? Since Jagex is in control of what we vote for and what the content will end up being, not to mention all the information we'll have about future updates, there is basically zero power transferred here. Even ignoring that, it's stupid to pit Invention against Prifddinas. They should both have been in-game already.

So yeah, 100% rhetoric with a dash of stupid.

• Like 3

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Also, as said on other threads... anyone who votes for something other than Priffdinas... I don't care who or where you are, I will find you.

I dunno, I'm leaning more toward invention simply because Priffindas just seems like old player bait right now, especially since it's being pitted against another highly anticipated update for no real reason. Maybe when they tell us more about it...

I'd just rather not vote for another Birthright of the Dwarves when I could have voted for a skill.

[Dedicated] Elf City HL Hub [qfc]355-356-111-65248985[/qfc]

• Like 1

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

Invention slated for July/August at the earliest? Which it probably won't make since everyone wants Priffdinas?

Wasn't it supposed to be out very early in 2014 after it was postponed from late 2013?

July is early 2014 now?

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png
.:Adventurer's Log:.

[/hide]

I just want that damn new skill out asap so I can get it over with. I really don't care much for the Elf quests or city. I will be very disappointed if it's released in mid/late 2014

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

Invention slated for July/August at the earliest? Which it probably won't make since everyone wants Priffdinas?

Wasn't it supposed to be out very early in 2014 after it was postponed from late 2013?

July is early 2014 now?

Hey, Dungeoneering started to get worked on back in 2004, mind!

http://services.runescape.com/m=news/newsitem.ws?id=208&allcat=true

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

To be honest, I get a whole Duke Nukem Forever vibe from Priffdinas. Years of waiting, letting hype pile up, then someone decides to work on it to get it out of the way and it turns out shit.

Plus, the way they seem to be treating is all wrong. The reason we want it is because it's the finale of the longest running quest line in RuneScape, NOT because we desire a high level hub or an elf city for the sake of an elf city.

But of course, people will vote for it. And, yeah, it'll probably be a neat place. But it won't be gotten from a liberation by guerilla soldiers overthrowing an evil regime who've exploited their crystaline goddess like we imagined it for all these past years.

• Like 13

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png
.:Adventurer's Log:.

[/hide]

"we've taken stock of 2013"(cough), you've gained stocks from 2013 you mean; and as for micro transactions being vital to game bottom line….. 

Bah humbug, I honestly don't think much of this tbh. INstead of making inventing a whole new skill, integrate it into divination, as div is lacking right now. Make 1 broad skill, instead of having two hollowed out stump skills. 

Elf quests; too little, too late, I barely remember the elf quests, as i and i suspect many others did them near release. The storyline's lost value, and few people really care.

Still, good show if they actually do some of what they say they will.

• Like 1
meamzed.png

Elf city vs. Inventing (goddamn it just call it engineering)

post-241-0-81297100-1382474775.jpg

It seems fairly easy to have priff be a hub where the main portion of training the new skill could take place. I have to assume, *hope*, (optimistically dream?) that they have a semblance of an idea for what they want the new skill to look like and contribute to the game. Making us choose is silly. 

• Like 1

witchynosaur.png

Armadyl Drops : 4 Hilts; 3 Chestplates; 2 Chainskirts; 1 Helmet; 1 Buckler; 2 Shard 1; 2 Shard 2; 1 Shard 3

Nex : 1 Zaryte Bow

Kalphite King : 1 Drygore Rapier ; 1 Drygore Longsword : 1 Drygore Offhand Rapier : 1 Drygore Offhand Longsword

To be honest, I get a whole Duke Nukem Forever vibe from Priffdinas. Years of waiting, letting hype pile up, then someone decides to work on it to get it out of the way and it turns out shit.

Plus, the way they seem to be treating is all wrong. The reason we want it is because it's the finale of the longest running quest line in RuneScape, NOT because we desire a high level hub or an elf city for the sake of an elf city.

But of course, people will vote for it. And, yeah, it'll probably be a neat place. But it won't be gotten from a liberation by guerilla soldiers overthrowing an evil regime who've exploited their crystaline goddess like we imagined it for all these past years.

I think it will be gotten from such things...but only after Jagex make the entire elf series a flashback 5th age quest line so we can spend a few months listening to npcs allude to how we saved them before we actually get to play the saving of the city.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Why can't they just make the elf finale a 6th age quest?

Wouldn't that make sense? Oh... wait.. jagex

That could work, but I think they are too smart to try it.

It's one thing making a story arc leap the 5th-6th age boundary allowing the later parts to not require the early parts to play when it is one of the grander stories spread across a number of quest lines; but to do it with a single coherent a-b quest line I think they'd be hit in the face with masses of rage if the finale suddenly did not require all the preamble.

To me there are only 2 logical routes:

1) Elf series is entirely sixth age with the finale unlocking the city - essentially keep it simple son.

2) Elf series is entirely fifth age with the finale 'saving' the city - opens up the option for Jagex to open the city (and elf lands) for all and thus allow Seren to get more in the mix for sixth age story and maintains the story concept of the elf series; just played in flashback.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

It's strange how something as simple as a time skip makes their options regarding the lore so needlessly complex.

That's the problem with an mmo where a game constanly evolves as opposed to a regular game where sequels are launched after a certain amount of time to continue on the story.

The story/lore of Runescape has become so complex that only the experienced players have a clear understanding of what comes before an what comes after 'the world wakes'.

implementing a big change (5th age -> 6th age) in a regular game is quite easy. implementing the same change in an mmo is practicly impossible due to the ever changing player base.

(tl:dr : new players have a very hard time understanding the story/lore of runescape.)

Sacrificing efficiency for fun since 1991

angel2w.gif

Dreezer.png

i am reminded of a "joke" in the chosen commander where Zanik asks you about how long she's been gone, with response options ranging from a short while ago (for people who did the quests consecutively) up to the full length of time that has passed between the two quest releases (over two years)

• Like 5

8f14270694.jpg

That's true of MMOs though, is that order of when events happened is important, and only the people playing from the beginning really get that. Personally, I think that they could very easily put the new "open the city" quest after the old ones, but still have it "6th age-y".

That is, you can't actually open the city without being friends with the elves, but they really will acknowledge the current goings on regarding the 6th age. (it would be horrible if they did not!)

I honestly don't think it would be bad. (Even though it would require the quest chain, they've already said that they wanted the place to be a high level area, so it's not bad if it had locks to get in via quests)

I really don't see how that would be bad? Make the quest 6th age time frame but still require the pre-guthix stuff.. I know why they chose not to do that for World Wakes.. but I don't see why it couldn't be allowed here.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

It's strange how something as simple as a time skip makes their options regarding the lore so needlessly complex.

That's the problem with an mmo where a game constanly evolves as opposed to a regular game where sequels are launched after a certain amount of time to continue on the story.

The story/lore of Runescape has become so complex that only the experienced players have a clear understanding of what comes before an what comes after 'the world wakes'.

implementing a big change (5th age -> 6th age) in a regular game is quite easy. implementing the same change in an mmo is practicly impossible due to the ever changing player base.

(tl:dr : new players have a very hard time understanding the story/lore of runescape.)

I don't think anyone with half a brain has trouble understanding what comes after the world wakes - everything that comes before outright tells you it is a flashback of the 5th age before it lets you begin the quest.

If anything more experienced players have a harder time placing these events precisely because we already did them and thus only know they are 5th age from an arbitrary list jagex gave us not from memory or experience of playing the quest in the frame of a flashback.

Also I think new players get it much easier than experienced players ever did as Jagex are quite consciously putting the lore front and centre and simplifying things. In recent months players can learn from a single quest lore details that it took us experienced players like 15 different quests, 3 easter eggs, 5 mod osbourne faqs/interviews and a sprinkling of logic based joining together to work out.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

they need to do away with this skill quest line skipping and just remove skill reqs from all previous quests but leave them to gain the rewards. Scale the combat better then it has been in recent quests. Quests must be done consecutively in their chronological order, but since skill reqs are now only for rewards, a new player could play through an entire quest line right off. 

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

I don't think anyone with half a brain has trouble understanding what comes after the world wakes - everything that comes before outright tells you it is a flashback of the 5th age before it lets you begin the quest.

If anything more experienced players have a harder time placing these events precisely because we already did them and thus only know they are 5th age from an arbitrary list jagex gave us not from memory or experience of playing the quest in the frame of a flashback.

Also I think new players get it much easier than experienced players ever did as Jagex are quite consciously putting the lore front and centre and simplifying things. In recent months players can learn from a single quest lore details that it took us experienced players like 15 different quests, 3 easter eggs, 5 mod osbourne faqs/interviews and a sprinkling of logic based joining together to work out.

Not even close to everything that chronologically comes before TWW is labelled. There are so many quests that must come before it due to links to other quests that do its not even funny. Not to mention a small warning on the quest screen really isn't enough. They should have made a mechanic to all the switch easier like using enchanted key to start 5th age quests as "flashbacks" where once you choose to start from the key it teleports you to the start npc and starts it. That way its made clear through mechanics and not just text that these quests are different and took place in the past.

I think they probably should have made the cut more clear and could have avoided all of the confusion by making any quest before the 6th age launched into 5th age quests. But picking out a few major ones and leaving most that are 5th age without any sort of marker was a bad choice.

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19