7-Jan-2014 - Player-Owned Ports - The Next Journey

Saradomin_Mage

I had 3 jod, 4 TCm, 1 wisp, 665 mcs (loop crew...were lvl 7-9) when I got into shield.

It felt like a right decision when I bought in the wisp as it complimented the lowered speed on the sf hull...but on hindsight it felt a little like a waste of TC...as I found that its usefulness in shield is limited.

'Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.' T.S. Eliot

I got to the shield early, so I'm still doing loop for my last cota..

I did the exiles mission, first time, at 48%. TY RNG!

aaaaauserbar.gif

Wkw.png

Runescape player since January 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

7wSQq.png

How did she get in here?????

--------

Also, I updated the first post with xpx's optimal crew and captain setup so people can stop repeatedly asking for it or having to sift through every post here.

• Like 5

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Isn't 4 exiles too much? I really don't see myself using one every mission.

No because there is no other crew that can be more useful in those slots.

Golems are pointless, extra merchants are pointless, wisps and all the other special crews are already outclassed.

6 morale and 6 combat guys are already more than enough

About the only feasible swap is 1 less exile for 1 more sf but even that is not really worth it.

1 extra sf guy means you get 925 sf more in that 1 crew man (Assuming lvl 10s and exile giving atleast 3*125 bonus (because exile+capt+atleast 1 other crew type)

But it costs you 1275 in morale and combat.

I mean on a single stat voyage of course plain crew is best, but an exile is a viable sub when needed for sf crew, but at the same time shouldn't be doing all that many single stat voyages really.

On a dual stat mission a normal crew adds 4200 to the ship stats total

On sf based dual an exile adds 4800-5050 to the ships useful stats (3400-3525 sf and 1400-1525 m or c with 4-5 unique crew men) so here you are at least 600 sum stats better off.

Heading in to triples and you getting 6575 - 6950 outta them (assuming 5-6 unique crew men) for a healthy 2375+ better off. 

Then looking at the end game trade goods in standard voyages you have

2* c sf - exile is better than an extra c or sf here

2* triple - exile is better here too.

1* m - an extra m would be better here, but we already got 6 so its well covered

1* mc - this one is kinda borderline but the spread of an exile stats should get percent a little higher

1* c sf - exile better here

So that's 5 voyage types where exile would be better, 1 where it would be worse and 1 that's a bit borderline.

Plus the most valuable trade good (bones) is in the c sf meaning exile is definitely a must for best profits, and the 1 where it is worse we already have 6 of that crew type so its a non-issue.

Meanwhile in specials

3* c sf

2* c

2* m sf 

3* m

1* m c

3* sf

So thats 5 where exile is better (including both bone voyages)

5 where exile would be worse but it doesn't matter as we have 6 of the crew type

1 where its a bit borderline

3 where its worse.

The grand summation being when chasing down trade goods all the bone voyages are better off with an exile.

10 of the voyages the exile is outright better.

6 where the exile is worse, but they are single stat m or c which is already well covered by the crew setup.

2 where its a bit borderline.

3 where an extra sf crew would exceed an exile.

And that is why 4 exiles is best - in the end game there is only 9 single stat voyages where the exile isn't a help, but 6 of them are in morale or combat where crew is already well covered leaving only 3 which could perhaps be bumped higher by 1 more sf over an exile, but even then its a small margin.

Meanwhile there are 12 dual and triple stat voyages where an exile is roughly on par with other choices or outright better, and these 12 include all the bone voyages which are all better off with an exile.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Lol, hearing that you just jettison them at Shield, I have to think I could have had another ship part if I hadn't bought that worthless Wisp, which I hardly send on any voyages anyway. I'd thought it was going to be useful at like, level 8-10, even in the final area.

2dgucz6.png

Wisp is the first to go I think.

They boost the xp gain for crew so I don't think they should.

Unless you're only training 4 or less crew members, you're generally better off sending a 5th crew member to gain XP instead of sending an XP-boosting crew member that you won't keep.

• Like 1

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

Wait, bones are the best trade good?

Which scrimshaw is this?

Elements goes for 1.6M++

tPU5j3V.png

Woah, not bad.

I hate to be wrong, but too many people have been making elements so they're no longer 1.6++ :P Try ranging next.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

in my main i succeeded exile voyage at 55% and failed in my other account at 50% and just got it again in the list after 2 days..

oh my... the shield missions so @#[email protected]#$^ hard... almost 11.30 hrs per mission and barely succeeded, almost 5 of 8 failed. 

If I'm doing Nex or Vorago then yeah, I use them. Generally buy them in batches of 20-30 though, as do the majority of people. The damage boost does help out a ton. :)

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

Scrimshaws are fairly useful boons especially in higher tier bossing stuff for tht extra dps and such, factor in the high-end bossers have more money than they can ever use and don't like to waste time and buying scrims becomes a logical step to take.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

With 11:30 long voyages with speed cap, that makes it impossible for me to send out ships more than once a day. great.

guess it's well take me several months to get all crew and upgrades.

• Like 1

aaaaauserbar.gif

Wkw.png

Runescape player since January 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

....Do people actually USE scrimshaws? I always assumed they were too overpriced for their practicality. (especially since every single one turns to dust)

I use scrimshaws everywhere: Vampyrism for hardhitting bosses, Str/Cruelty/Elements if Dpsing, Gemfinding scrimshaw for mining.

I don't use the XP scrimshaws though

With overpriced do you mean OP for their price 

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

Getting new captains is killing me. Thus far I've only seen one seafaring one and I only have 2 crew left to buy.

At this rate my crew will be maxed before I even get a captain.

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items