Legacy Mode

@Dan3HitU

This must be the craziest bullshit I’ve ever heard.

Jagex’s first mistake was that when they noticed that RS2 combat has flaws, they built the content around those flaws instead of actually fixing them. This has been happening since at least 2005 - there was no way to survive against Dagannoth Prime without protect from magic. They should've nerfed protect prayers back then, not seven years later. Almost every single RS2 boss requires you to use protect prayers or hits through them.

Jagex’s second mistake was that instead of fixing the problems in the old combat system, they created a completely new one. It’s like noticing that Mario‘s controls suck and then replacing him with Sonic instead of fixing the controls: completely moronic. People play Mario games because it’s Mario. If they wanted to play with Sonic, they‘d buy a Sonic game.

Jagex’s third mistake was that after replacing the combat system, they didn’t fix all the content that depended on the old, broken combat mechanics. That‘s why almost all the old bosses, equipment etc. just don’t work in EoC. EoC content is good, because it’s actually built on the new system. To continue with the Mario examples, this is like replacing Mario with Sonic but keeping the Mario levels.

Jagex’s fourth mistake was that when they noticed that the old content just doesn’t work with the new combat, they actually started breaking the combat system again. I actually liked some of the ideas that Jagex originally had for EoC, like armor having only defensive bonuses (instead of a mix of offensive and defensive like in the old combat).

Jagex’s fifth mistake is that they seriously believe it’s possible to build levels that work for both Mario and Sonic. It isn’t — and even if it was, they couldn’t fully take advantage of either character’s potential. The content has to be built on the combat mechanics and not the other way around.

I personally don’t care which combat system Jagex chooses, but please just choose one of them and update all the old content to work with it. Throwing shit at a wall and seeing what sticks isn’t a good development model.

• Like 13

I would go back to playing the current version of RS if this happens.

Turn on momentum.

• Like 2

ruins.png De_Elite_One.png

Inefficiency = fun. That's objective and can't be debated. Ever.

Blog to 200m in all skills.

Max cape achieved November 5th, 2011.

Completionist cape achieved December 29th, 2011.

Final Boss title achieved December 28th, 2014.

Trimmed completionist cape achieved November 7th, 2015.

Garbage like this makes me much more solid in my decision to stop playing. What they can't seem to get their developer heads around is the fact that we want good content, not more content.

People have been saying forever that the G.E. prices on seismic wands and singularities need to be manually adjusted to reflect how much they are actually selling for and worth so that coinshare is more appealing thus drawing in more teams to fight the boss. The drop rates vs. kill times on Vorago compared to the Kalphite King mean that there are far more t90 melee weapons coming into the game than t90 mage as well. Just adjusting those two things would make end game magic much more reachable and balance a large flaw in the system. Why haven't Jagex listened to the players who have been saying this?

There is an imbalance with abilities between the three combat styles which leaves range lacking, and mage slightly OP. I've read dozens of suggestions to balance this (many on these forums) that would be easier to implement than adding the old combat system in a way that is compatible with the new. Why haven't jagex listened to the playeres who have been giving those suggestions?

There's hundreds of other small things that would be easy to fix that haven't been even seriously considered, work on those instead of trying to rehash old content that we were told is never going to come back anyway.

My gut tells me what some of you others have already said, this is another money grab attempt and quiet frankly I hope it fails. 

witchynosaur.png

Armadyl Drops : 4 Hilts; 3 Chestplates; 2 Chainskirts; 1 Helmet; 1 Buckler; 2 Shard 1; 2 Shard 2; 1 Shard 3

Nex : 1 Zaryte Bow

Kalphite King : 1 Drygore Rapier ; 1 Drygore Longsword : 1 Drygore Offhand Rapier : 1 Drygore Offhand Longsword

This is completely ridiculous... but okay, I'll go with it. I want to see what's going to happen if they do release it.

Also a small question, why would we want to have the old interface when we have a NIS? NIS is hardly the problem.

NIS sucks. I can't figure out where anything is.

But in Jagex's defense, I've spent less than 5 minutes trying to figure it out and I'm also retarded.

• Like 1

77yLQy8.png

The biggest thing I want back, is "type-to-chat", I hate having to press 'Enter' to enter the chat-menu then having to type, countless times I start typing and open a ridiculous amount of menus as I type fairly quick.

You can already do this. Just minimize the action bar.

He wants it without having to minimize the action bar. :P

On a much more serious note, I think this has come as "too little, too late".  Jagex hurt themselves when they utterly trashed the usability of the new system right from the start, for example with errors like inability to complete the training tutorial and making the immediate use of some items in the account unlike their previous use cases, which destroyed the loadouts of some players for combat entirely.  It was definitely enough to be the icing on the cake that stopped me playing any further, particularly after having to put up with multiple previous years of abuse of F2P'ers. :(

Anywho, pardon me while I walk back off into a remote Forum Games corner... I only saw this thread because it was in the top five most recently started. -.-

~Mr. D. V. "It would take something insanely impossible happening for me to ignore principles." Devnull

The good news is you'll be able to use your dragonfire shield again. :thumbup:

• Like 2

77yLQy8.png

I can understand they want interfaces and stuff but, how would it even work for combat? Having players in different 'combat modes' would be horrible in my opinion, if they balance it out to be around the same damage with any, then no point in EoC, if they let EoC have better damage, then why even do it when they can just do momentum. I just find the whole idea stupid combat wise

_p3_minato_arisato_signature__by_x0sandylicious0x-d3hnk6v.png

Turn on momentum.

People need to stop throwing that response around like it's actually a solution.

Chinning/Barraging?

mck.pngMck.png

Noobs: We pay we say

JaGeX: How much will you pay?

Turn on momentum.

People need to stop throwing that response around like it's actually a solution.

You realize that legacy mode is literally just auto attacks with the old interface, right?

Turn on momentum.

Why? The only difference between momentum and Old combat is that abilities auto-activate. What exactly is it about EoC that you're opposed to?

Sylpheed.png

Why? The only difference between momentum and Old combat is that abilities auto-activate. What exactly is it about EoC that you're opposed to?

I'm not opposed to the EoC.

You realize that legacy mode is literally just auto attacks with the old interface, right?

If you bothered reading the dev blog, it says that they'll tweak stuff around so that legacy will give much close experience rates, and by extension, closer DPS to using EoC.

Momentum currently isn't even 50% of the effectiveness of the EoC and certainly doesn't work as well as killing monsters pre-EoC did.

You can't just tell people to stfu and turn on Momentum, because it isn't nearly as close as what pre-EoC is like than you think.

Turn on momentum.

I don't think he's opposed to EOC. I think he is saying in EOC momentum isn't exactly a solution because to him it still doesn't work the same as old combat, or that momentum is not what old combat supporters want. Then again I dunno if that's what he means. Ninja'd

As for the whole combat thing, honestly I don't care. I know Jagex is trying but I just stopped caring. I expect less of this game everyday so I when something decent comes out, I can be pleased with it.

29386_s.gif

"Goals dont have a deadline." -xxxgod quoting Lady Shahdie

[slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]

I know Jagex is trying but I just stopped caring.

Madam, this comment of yours hits squarely on the head for those of us who've stopped playing as well.  Getting slapped in the face by Jagex too many times, especially when you add FunOrb to the oversize mix of their oversize list of oversize failures, simply makes people want to leave Jagex's games.  Heck, it even makes me overuse the word "oversize". :huh:

~D. V. "Consider it seriously seconded, and then some!" Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

If you bothered reading the dev blog, it says that they'll tweak stuff around so that legacy will give much close experience rates, and by extension, closer DPS to using EoC.

Momentum currently isn't even 50% of the effectiveness of the EoC and certainly doesn't work as well as killing monsters pre-EoC did.

You can't just tell people to stfu and turn on Momentum, because it isn't nearly as close as what pre-EoC is like than you think.

And their reworking momentum right now so that will no longer be the case.

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

This is completely ridiculous... but okay, I'll go with it. I want to see what's going to happen if they do release it.

Also a small question, why would we want to have the old interface when we have a NIS? NIS is hardly the problem.

NIS sucks. I can't figure out where anything is.

But in Jagex's defense, I've spent less than 5 minutes trying to figure it out and I'm also retarded.

Lmao I am dying over this.

Frankly I am going to pretend that legacy doesn't exist.

I've been ok with everything jagex has done up until now.

• Like 1

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

And their reworking momentum right now so that will no longer be the case.

As long as Momentum actually becomes as effective as pre-EoC combat was, then sure, tell people so just turn on momentum all you want.

The problem is that people were capable of efficiently killing stuff using only autoattacks pre-EoC.

One would be right in thinking that people shouldn't be allowed to get the same rates as with EoC without using the EoC; this is why I suggested balancing Legacy so that it would be roughly 33% less efficient than EoC. For example, in cases that EoC ability use would net you 200k exp/hour, you'd get more like ~125k-130k exp/hour using Legacy (while you probably currently couldn't get more than 100k xp/hour with momentum along with horrible kill rates compared to pre-EoC even if you tried.)

This is a bad idea and letting the....stupid (to put it mildly) community decide with an undoubtedly biased poll (you know the '07 kids are lapping this up, distorting the results in the process) is just insanity.

They need to focus on improving/fixing EoC instead of wasting time making two separate, incompatible combat systems. The beta improvements are great and it's a shame to see time diverted away from them to focus on pleasing an audience that no longer exists. It's a nice gesture, I guess, but it's way too late. Most of the people voting yes are people who are either playing ’07 or people who have come out of the woodwork in hopes that the game they remembered will be restored. When the bitter truth that RS has still changed hits them, they will crawl back into the hole they came from, leaving us (the real players) with nothing but wasted development time and effort that could have been used on something better, useful, or actually fun.

love it, I always said that the last thing I want RS to do is to try to become WOW, and that was what EOC did.  I play RS for the relaxed style of combat and although I can use EOC, I dont want all the extra clicking and watching action bars, I was my relaxed style of combat back.  hopefully they will rebalance it with EOC and they will be same EXP and kill rate

thegame1431.png

This is a bad idea and letting the....stupid (to put it mildly) community decide with an undoubtedly biased poll (you know the '07 kids are lapping this up, distorting the results in the process) is just insanity.

They need to focus on improving/fixing EoC instead of wasting time making two separate, incompatible combat systems. The beta improvements are great and it's a shame to see time diverted away from them to focus on pleasing an audience that no longer exists. It's a nice gesture, I guess, but it's way too late. Most of the people voting yes are people who are either playing ’07 or people who have come out of the woodwork in hopes that the game they remembered will be restored. When the bitter truth that RS has still changed hits them, they will crawl back into the hole they came from, leaving us (the real players) with nothing but wasted development time and effort that could have been used on something better, useful, or actually fun.

6FFUh.png

I'm with Golvellius here.

As much as I'm interested in pre-EOC combat, I can't see how it could possibly integrate with EOC. The best solution I could come up with is to have separate servers.

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)