Legacy Mode

@Dan3HitU

ppl who are going to use legace screen size are masochist

Sometimes people have poor eyesight and prefer to use fixed screen since it allows them to see better by having a 800x600 resolution on a bigger screen; that doesn't make them masochists.
  • Like 3

I'm sure you don't actually agree that everyone who wants to play in fixed does it because they are masochists, right?

Must I really put that much emphasis on the "sometimes" at the start of my sentence?

• Like 1

ppl who are going to use legace screen size are masochist

Sometimes people have poor eyesight and prefer to use fixed screen since it allows them to see better by having a 800x600 resolution on a bigger screen; that doesn't make them masochists.

I used to play in fixed screen, zoomed in because I have bad eyesight.

Since they removed it, I have resorted to switching my screen res down, so that I still get the same dpi as fixed screen.

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

What I'm wondering though, is will they really use a fixed screen interface looking like this?

I know it's a mock-up and the final one will look better, but I wonder if they'll re-implement the pre-RS3 fixed screen interface or re-create a new one in the same style as the resizeable screen.

(Like, I mean, old fixed screen used the old brown theme even when resizeable was changed to a more metallic feel.)

As an 07 player that quit when EoC came out. (I can't say it was entirely because of EoC, real life was busy and it was a rather large straw on an already overburdened camel's back), I'm certainly curious enough to check this out when it's released.

Thing is, though, it's not just the EoC attack style or whatever that changed, the combat changed massively with everything. My favorite thing to do was bandos, 2 claws and a few chaotic maul hits, unreliable damage and competitiveness with other PvMers that involved just enough luck to keep everyone interested in competing, some people hated it, some loved it like I did. Before I quit, I tried out EoC bossing, and both bandos and corp were the same, I just stood there and mashed my keyboard, watching the exact same numbers popping up without any element of randomness, wondering if there was much point in mashing the keys in a specific order outside of queuing them to cooldown optimally (A skill that took all of 5 minutes to master) and wondering how people were gonna chat if we were all mashing our keyboards. (They wouldn't)

Dunno if any of that EoC stuff changed as time went on, but if it's still not random damage, it's gonna be impossible for them to implement random damage vs reliable damage without making 1 of them useless/underpowered for certain activities, such as competitive pvm and pvp.

Best I am expecting is "Look you have your old combat! It's so weak that you'll never use it long term and it's unusuable to pvp with, but hey while you're here why don't you try this EoC stuff? It's super great, much better exp than the crummy old combat." then they don't have to care about balance as long as old combat remains suboptimal as they've already stated it will be. I am being very cynical, though.

I guess I'm in a similar boat...

Quit right after EOC. I was initially excited for EOC, with the new abilities and rebalancing of classes. What I did not expect was a complete overhaul of the system in ways that didn't make sense. It felt like a complete homogenization rather than diversification. I do not think that changing the way armour and weapon stats worked was necessary, I don't think that changing from Runescape's classical semi-afk combat system was needed... And it seems like instead of promoting interesting ganeplay, they force the triangle, remove any interesting abilities from items (stuff like spirit shields, special attacks, weapon switching mechanics) in favour of a "this is the right way to do it" system. 

Is this update the correct way to address what a lot of people took issue with regarding EOC? I don't know. It seems like they're simply reskinning and taking away abilities in an effort to simplify things, as if complexity was the problem. I might still check it out, but I think the damage is too deep. They know that they lost a lot of players, and they'e backpedaling and trying to please everyone. Maybe it will be fun... but I don't think I could start playing again seriously using the legacy mode, knowing that it wasn't optimal. And knowing Jagex, "near optimal" means it will be nowhere near optimal. And if the optimal method is unfun to me then I won't be interested. 

I mean this is all obviously my opinion. I played RS almost solely for combat, and I loved it. As you said, I loved competitive pvm, I liked specials, I liked optimizing my gear and setup to maximize kill speed and the number of boss kills per run. So of course I was hesitant to embrace any change. I was hesitant to embrace mashing the keyboard to queue abilities wearing gear that was rebalanced in ways that didn't make any sense to me. And I'm sure a lot of players like how it is now. And it seems they've done a lot of work to improve it (because it was objectively very broken on release), but I really wasn't interested in sticking around as they slowly brought up bits of content to a level in which they were as playable as they used to be. 

• Like 1

It's the old formula with range/mage given the same weight as attack and strength.

...Which is pretty much the current formula with a max level of 138 instead of 200.

And with Constitution, Prayer and Summoning giving levels on their own.

It's the old formula with range/mage given the same weight as attack and strength.

...Which is pretty much the current formula with a max level of 138 instead of 200.

(X*1.3)+hp+def+(summ/2)+(pray/2) all divided by 4

X+def+2

Yup totally 'pretty much the same'

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

X+def+2

Alright, "Marginally different but just as useless and arbitrary". Better?

U mean

(X*2*1.3+hp+def+sum/2+pray/2)/4

Where X is str,atk,def,magic

Ok.

X+def+2

Alright, "Marginally different but just as useless and arbitrary". Better?

U mean

(X*2*1.3+hp+def+sum/2+pray/2)/4

Where X is str,atk,def,magic

Ok.

No. I categorically do not mean that incorrect formula you wrote out or the incorrect definition of X you gave.

In the new formula is X is either:

Att+str or 2*mage or 2*range

Then it is ((X*1.3)+hp+def+(sum/2)+(pray/2))/4 like I wrote.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

bah double post.

Plv6Dz6.jpg