Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

sees_all1
[ Display Name History ]

sees_all1

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,961 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None

You asking about bears or something a little stronger? The answer is yes, but maybe not quite at a national level. Problem with that is you'd be comparing it to something that's available across Europe...

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Randox
[ Display Name History ]

Randox

The Consultant

• Administrators
  • 6,605 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Randox
  • Clan:All Friendly

I was in the states during part of the 2010 Winter Olympics, and I noticed the negativity thing back then. The Canadian coverage can get pretty dry (not all events have a lot of conversation points, and not all former athletes are skilled commentators), but it's upbeat and fair. They're always happy when someone does well, and I would find it much harder to be happy for the athletes of other countries who beat the athletes from my country without that third party influence.

Really enjoyed the Skiing slopestyle (womens) this morning/last night even if I didn't get to see it live. Found it more interesting than the snowboarding versions, so I'm glad they added that in. Haven't seen as much of the Curling as I would have liked so far, though I did stay up for the first bit of our mens first match. I'll watch hockey when we get to the medal game. Tomorrow looking forward to the women's halfpipe and downhill, and maybe some doubles luge because I really want to see how that works.

I'm actually trying to get up to watch an hour of live early morning stuff before going back to sleep. Not ideal, but I do get to see a bit more live coverage.

Also hoping that if it goes up well above freezing again that they'll delay events like slopestyle and halfpipe until the evening when it cools back down. Warm snow gets roughed up really quickly, and it absolutely kills your ability to maintain speed, which is really bad for these events. I know the slopestyle finals would have been a lot more impressive, and I'm sure halfpipe too, if they weren't all running in what is practically slush.

PolarBearBlue
[ Display Name History ]

PolarBearBlue

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 913 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Polarbearblu
  • RSN2:Ligertype0
  • Clan:HYT

Also hoping that if it goes up well above freezing again that they'll delay events like slopestyle and halfpipe until the evening when it cools back down. Warm snow gets roughed up really quickly, and it absolutely kills your ability to maintain speed, which is really bad for these events. I know the slopestyle finals would have been a lot more impressive, and I'm sure halfpipe too, if they weren't all running in what is practically slush.

Yeah. I've heard for like 4 events now that people who they'd expect to do well are failing because the snow conditions are bad. Everyone has to adjust and play safe and it gets really boring when they have to settle for smaller tricks and conservative runs. I'm watching a recap of the Men's half pipe now and half the field is just doing so bad because of the bottom of the pipe. Getting boring to watch.

It's blow 0 here in Chicago yet it's almost spring in Sochi. Putin doesn't need to add bad snow to the "things to remember about his Olympics".

29386_s.gif
"Goals dont have a deadline." -xxxgod quoting Lady Shahdie
[Slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]

stevepole
[ Display Name History ]

stevepole

Ace of Spades

• Members
  • 8,477 posts

I think Tito's Vodka has become somewhat of a national choice, as it's pretty much everywhere these days, not to mention it's what I drink, but there are a bunch of small distilleries that do a decent job. On the beer front, I think America beats everybody.

I want to watch more of these events live, but I really can't convince myself to get up at those hours. It makes me happy the World Cup is in Brazil making the time change more manageable. 

Posted Image

PolarBearBlue
[ Display Name History ]

PolarBearBlue

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 913 posts

I think Tito's Vodka has become somewhat of a national choice, as it's pretty much everywhere these days, not to mention it's what I drink, but there are a bunch of small distilleries that do a decent job. On the beer front, I think America beats everybody.

I want to watch more of these events live, but I really can't convince myself to get up at those hours. It makes me happy the World Cup is in Brazil making the time change more manageable. 

The summer games will also be in Brazil. I'd only have to stay up maybe two or three hours to catch it live.

I wanna go to Rio for the games, but I know I won't be able to afford to.

29386_s.gif
[Slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]

Estonian dude
[ Display Name History ]

Estonian dude

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,521 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Saq Prets
  • Clan:Off-Topic
Name me one good American beer. I dare you.

There is no such thing as a good American beer.

[bleep] the haters, my nation has the worst Winter Olympics ever.
Posted Image

Low Levelled
[ Display Name History ]

Low Levelled

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,559 posts
So... I'm glad I don't live in Russia... Putin scares me.

PolarBearBlue
[ Display Name History ]

PolarBearBlue

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 913 posts

So...Evgeni Plushenko is Evgeni Plush-no-go as he had to drop out of the Men's single program for figure skating. And he retired. So much for the gold medal...

Yuzuru Hanyu and Patrick Chan however. Wow, just wow.

29386_s.gif

Skull
[ Display Name History ]

Skull

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,790 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None

USA vs Russia Hockey game is in like 3.5 hours (I think), no way I'm going to catch that. I really hope they replay it at some point tomorrow because I'd love to watch that.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

PolarBearBlue
[ Display Name History ]

PolarBearBlue

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 913 posts

USA vs Russia Hockey game is in like 3.5 hours (I think), no way I'm going to catch that. I really hope they replay it at some point tomorrow because I'd love to watch that.

If you are in the US, then it is replaying right now on nbcolympics.com.

http://stream.nbcoly...14999/?ctx=citi

29386_s.gif

Randox
[ Display Name History ]

Randox

The Consultant

• Administrators
  • 6,605 posts

Snowboard Cross and Bobsled tomorrow. Don't know what Snowboard Cross is, but hoping its cool. Fan of the bobsled so looking forward to that.

Was also watching some curling today. Good fun (watched the end of Canada beating Russia, which was pretty close in the last end).

Estonian dude
[ Display Name History ]

Estonian dude

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,521 posts
  • RSN:Saq Prets
  • Clan:Off-Topic

[bleep] THE US! THAT GOAL SHOULD HAVE COUNTED!

(about the USA - Russia hockey match)

Posted Image

Low Levelled
[ Display Name History ]

Low Levelled

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,559 posts
How about the rest of the game? The beauty of sports lies in the 99% of the game that the common fan forgets about after the final minute.

PolarBearBlue
[ Display Name History ]

PolarBearBlue

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 913 posts

So Russia, for the third Olympics in a row, does not get a medal in Hockey, having lost to Finland in the elimination round.

On a scale of one to Stalin, how mad do you think Putin is at the moment?

29386_s.gif

Mr_Muto
[ Display Name History ]

Mr_Muto

Clan Official

• Clan Official
  • 231 posts
  • RSN:Mr Muto
  • RSN '07:Mr Muto
  • Clan:Libra

Following the loss to Finland...Radulov was never seen or heard from again.

On the same note as hockey though, Canada vs USA, winner advances to face the winner of Sweden and Finland I do believe. Quite the tournament so far. Here's to hoping the Canadian/American game will be a good one!

oaM0.png
fXPnd.png

Blake
[ Display Name History ]

Blake

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  • RSN:Biake
  • RSN2:Blake-o
To make it more interesting, the loser has to keep Bieber.
  • Alg likes this

Posted Image

stevepole
[ Display Name History ]

stevepole

Ace of Spades

• Members
  • 8,477 posts

Name me one good American beer. I dare you.

There is no such thing as a good American beer.

[bleep] the haters, my nation has the worst Winter Olympics ever.

Anchor Steam, Rogue, Alaskan, Pyramid, New Belgium, Red Hook, DogFish, & countless local breweries that you're not going to hear about unless your visit any given city. I can only name you ones on the west coast, but that'd be overkill to do. 

Did you guys see that both the American and Canadian hockey team had an impromptu street hockey match. I read about it this morning before catch the games this morning. http://grantland.com...-street-hockey/

Looking forward to the semi-final match.  

Posted Image

Randox
[ Display Name History ]

Randox

The Consultant

• Administrators
  • 6,605 posts

Been waiting for these hockey games to come along. The Curling finals are also getting underway for which I am possibly more excited (I don't play hockey anymore, but I still curl). The 4 finals between both sports should be a good show, at least for someone who enjoys both. Still, it would be massively to our benefit in the medal standings if Canada can walk out of this with 4 gold medals. It would be oh so lovely to get the most golds again, and 4 golds would go a long way to making that happen (I've been a tad sour ever since the Americans overtook us in the medal standings. Winter is our thing!). Honestly, I'm not sure if I will hold my breath for mens hockey or not though, really not sure how that's going to go.

Also, apparently north America has all of 4 bobsled tracks. Two on each side of the border.

PolarBearBlue
[ Display Name History ]

PolarBearBlue

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 913 posts

Women's Hockey. Canada wins 3-2 in OT on a 4-3 power play.

[BLEEP] YOU CANADA! [BLEEP] YOU!

29386_s.gif

Randox
[ Display Name History ]

Randox

The Consultant

• Administrators
  • 6,605 posts

That was a weird ending. That should have been a penalty shot, not a minor, though I can sort of understanding not wanting to make that call in OT on an Olympic gold medal match. Or maybe I missed something (been a while, though I did go and look up the rules, though I think the Olympic rules are a bit different). Anyway, that was a nail biter game, I really thought USA was going to take it for a while, and then you get a heart stopper of a first minute in OT.

Got gold in Curling too, though I think Norway went off and got another gold today as well :D

Good times.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users