Polls General Discussion

Maxingmck

Just because the Gods have their own plans doesn't mean their followers aren't busy. There were a bunch of plots by followers pre-sixth age in the name of their Gods, you can't tell me that the followers would just sit around waiting now that the Gods are actually returned. These are the factions actually preparing, they aren't specifically looking for a fight but if theey find other factions preparing as well they're going to stop them. It makes no sense for the World to sit peacefully with all the fanatics and faithful around. Your explanation goes into why the Gods themselves aren't running around attacking, but not why all their followers are just sitting around and doing nothing.

• Like 1

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

To me the fanatics aren't doing these things because the figure they are fanatical about is here now giving them direct instruction and since they aren't making big moves their followers aren't either.

It's leaderless fanatics that tend to make big moves without guidance.

Sure you might see a small thing or 2 occurring, but to me thats more suitable for a one off occurence like a quest or a short-term event, not something that is ongoing all over the world to a noticeable scale. I also thing the existing warbands cover the kind of level of activity I'd expect at present.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

To me the fanatics aren't doing these things because the figure they are fanatical about is here now giving them direct instruction and since they aren't making big moves their followers aren't either.

It's leaderless fanatics that tend to make big moves without guidance.

Sure you might see a small thing or 2 occurring, but to me thats more suitable for a one off occurence like a quest or a short-term event, not something that is ongoing all over the world to a noticeable scale. I also thing the existing warbands cover the kind of level of activity I'd expect at present.

Honestly, I don't think the fanatics would be willing to wait. Maybe some of the higher ranked ones. The warbands are little more than bandits, and I think there are fanatics that would be truly loyal but still want to be prepared for whatever they were ordered to do. You don't want to be caught off-guard if your leader finally calls on you to do something. Not to mention after years of living under Saradominist society, I don't think many of the other faction followers will be eager to continue. Meanwhile, Saradominists have been taking action against other factions for a long time, so it makes sense they'd take action moreso now that Saradomin has shown himself.

I'm not saying there needs to be full scale destroyed cities (although a white knights vs kinshra war for falador could be a fun world event). But the faction grunts should be seen doing something. Many of them have been chomping at the bit for their Gods to return, and I don't think they'd do nothing now that they have.

The last God Wars levelled civilizations, caused entire cities and regions to stop existing. So far all we have is a crater and a couple towers. There should be some evidence that people are at least preparing for whatever is coming, it shouldn't look like nothing has changed.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

I really like your idea, Helring, I agree with your notion that apart from world events and warbands, there's very little evidence of a second God War going on. Small fighting forces trying to take over small areas or going full out brawl with another party would be fun. :p

See to me there just isn't any reason for there to be that much prep going on right now.

I mean in terms of general peoples concepts of fearing a god war they don't really have a whole lot to go on - most of the history of the first god war isn't exactly public knowledge and it happens thousands of years ago its not exactly a fresh memory of trauma for most people. I mean the 4th Age which came between the war ending and human dominance through runecrafting was 2,000 years and then the 5th age was a further 169 years. I mean, to use a real world comparison, there's barely any notion of fear of western civilisation descending into all out warfare even with various political unrest and conflicts in the middle east etc and its only been 70 years since we were last in a mess of war and still have people alive who lived through it. Gielinorians haven't know all out major warfare for 2169 years and there's no-one milling around in general society who was really there.

Then if we look exclusively at the 'big 4'

Bandos - God is dead, followers are essentially in retreat with many going off to follow Zanik. They don't really have much in the way of a civilisation anyway, so theres not much reason for them to be presented as being organised and preparing for stuff.

Armadyl - Pretty much no followers on Gielinor just the aviansie he brought with him when he returned really who will be located in the sky citadels and based on how the ones we use for clans pan out they don't really have cause to be leaving them to prepare.

Zamorak - All his core forces have been given tasks or called to his side. In terms of general people around the world he doesn't have much of a following just the Kinshra who don;t really do a lot and a few fanatical monks busy preaching. There's not exactly a lot in terms of followers to be seen doing anything.

Saradomin - Pretty much everyone left on Gielinor who is civilised follows Saradomin and with the gods return they just saw him own Zamorak and gain a butt load of power. The vast majority of ordinary Gielinorians who follow him wouldn't really see a reason to be scared. Their god has proven he is powerful and they already have nice big armies and fortified cities built up, all they need do if its hits the fan is shut the gates and hunker down.

I just don't think the story as a whole of this developing conflict/godwars 2.0 is at a point where it really makes sense for there to be much in the way of visible factions preparing stuff going on. The concept is nice and I have nothing against it at all; just doesn't seem like the right time for it to be happening yet. There's other developments that would make sense at this time - unrest and break down of what little Bandosian society there is, the beginning emergence of camps, cults or churches towards Arma and Zamorak now the Saradominist sheeple have been exposed to the reality of other deities existing etc.

Just for me, not really enough occurring for it make sense for there to be roaming faction militia bands trying to horde goods and skirmishing.  

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

See to me there just isn't any reason for there to be that much prep going on right now.

I mean in terms of general peoples concepts of fearing a god war they don't really have a whole lot to go on - most of the history of the first god war isn't exactly public knowledge and it happens thousands of years ago its not exactly a fresh memory of trauma for most people. I mean the 4th Age which came between the war ending and human dominance through runecrafting was 2,000 years and then the 5th age was a further 169 years. I mean, to use a real world comparison, there's barely any notion of fear of western civilisation descending into all out warfare even with various political unrest and conflicts in the middle east etc and its only been 70 years since we were last in a mess of war and still have people alive who lived through it. Gielinorians haven't know all out major warfare for 2169 years and there's no-one milling around in general society who was really there.

Then if we look exclusively at the 'big 4'

Bandos - God is dead, followers are essentially in retreat with many going off to follow Zanik. They don't really have much in the way of a civilisation anyway, so theres not much reason for them to be presented as being organised and preparing for stuff.

Armadyl - Pretty much no followers on Gielinor just the aviansie he brought with him when he returned really who will be located in the sky citadels and based on how the ones we use for clans pan out they don't really have cause to be leaving them to prepare.

Zamorak - All his core forces have been given tasks or called to his side. In terms of general people around the world he doesn't have much of a following just the Kinshra who don;t really do a lot and a few fanatical monks busy preaching. There's not exactly a lot in terms of followers to be seen doing anything.

Saradomin - Pretty much everyone left on Gielinor who is civilised follows Saradomin and with the gods return they just saw him own Zamorak and gain a butt load of power. The vast majority of ordinary Gielinorians who follow him wouldn't really see a reason to be scared. Their god has proven he is powerful and they already have nice big armies and fortified cities built up, all they need do if its hits the fan is shut the gates and hunker down.

I just don't think the story as a whole of this developing conflict/godwars 2.0 is at a point where it really makes sense for there to be much in the way of visible factions preparing stuff going on. The concept is nice and I have nothing against it at all; just doesn't seem like the right time for it to be happening yet. There's other developments that would make sense at this time - unrest and break down of what little Bandosian society there is, the beginning emergence of camps, cults or churches towards Arma and Zamorak now the Saradominist sheeple have been exposed to the reality of other deities existing etc.

Just for me, not really enough occurring for it make sense for there to be roaming faction militia bands trying to horde goods and skirmishing.  

You mention that we don't have much fear of returning to global war after only 70 years. But we had stockpiling between the US and USSR for years after that war because they were afraid of the threat, and I'm pretty sure if someone viewed as a great enemy for many people like Hitler returned with the power he had before the war ended then the stockpiling would commence again.

As far as the followers, its kind of my point that they don't really "do" much at the moment. We see how the citadels work for clans, but we don't really see much variation. There is some metal, some food (that apparently comes from nowhere so possibly delivered to the citadel from below), 1 type of tree. It seems like to get specific types of materials the aviansies would still need to go to the surface. Bandos is dead but whether some follow Zanik (which is only a chance, she can also die) there are still large numbers of Bandosians on Gielinor that don't, and they already have a hierarchy so I don't see their civilizations just collapsing. Saradominists have ruled much of Gielinor for a long time, but still they are afraid of Zamorakians, and I wouldn't be surprised that they want to gather more supplies in order to try to take as much of Gielinor as possible and counter the others.

I guess I just see roaming militias as the step before cults start really solidifying. To me, full organization comes after the roving bands go across, as those bands might start setting up outposts and further civilizations. Although I might include those ideas later if there's a Runelabs contest that I think fits them better.

God, now I think about it: a new crusade ingame would be fun as a next World Event: one faction tries to rally troops and starts marching towards a Saradominist city that starts to prepare itself for the assault. Depending on who wins, the city converts to that god, with new banners and new activities. 

I feel that anyone who says it doesnt fit in with the scheme of events doesnt understand how emmersive these eventd should be.

For the brassica price and marimbo being silly could work with it. They could act as a distraction and diversion aspect of it. Having an open world pvp is great and works amazingly well for every MMO. Jagex has the potential of doing it well with their deadman accounts and regular accounts.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

A lot of people (read: those who don't have maxed combat and top tier weaponry and armour) are less than a fan of PvP though, even if it is completely safe. Plus it becomes very tricky to balance - you either have high levels slaughtering lower levels for rewards or everyone avoiding PvP completely if it's not incentivized enough.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

A lot of people (read: those who don't have maxed combat and top tier weaponry and armour) are less than a fan of PvP though, even if it is completely safe. Plus it becomes very tricky to balance - you either have high levels slaughtering lower levels for rewards or everyone avoiding PvP completely if it's not incentivized enough.

They could incentivize it through subotour work for lower levels and skillers. Thdy also could use a resource sink much like what helring mentioned.

Its all there really. You arent going to make everyone happy either. A pvp toggle is fine too.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Sure your not going to make everyone happy with pvp elements to whole world get everyone invovled stuff, who do you aim to make happy?

Unless you purposefully exclude higher levels from maxed people with the best gear are the only ones you can make happy, which is far from the majority, because unless they are locked out no-one else stands a chance.

Of course a toggle can help matters, but then you end up with the issues we had in WE2 - You make it sucky for skillers and low levels by making turning pvp nerf your progress rates meanwhile you make the people who do enjoy pvp turn into harassing douches having a go at anyone who turns pvp off and people playing annoying tactics to avoid dying like the area line hugging of we2.

To me really to make pvp work in something like this it needs to be no better or worse than doing things without pvp and it ought to be entirely separated off from the non-pvp stuff to help minimise harassment and trolling elements.

Also I'd point out I didn't say it doesn't fit in with the scheme of events - I said it doesn't in with the progress of events yet in my opinion. There is a difference. I'm not saying there isn't a place for it I just do not think in terms of the story and the lore we have reached the point at which it makes sense. 

Plv6Dz6.jpg