What Regular People Think of RuneScape (RS3 vs OSRS)

Piu

Here's a rough summary of the whole video for those who can't afford to watch the full length of it.

0:00-3:36 - Introduction

3:36-4:04 - Test subjects

4:05-7:33 - Live footage of subjects trying RuneScape 3

7:33-9:49 - Live footage of subjects trying Old School RuneScape

9:49-16:15 - Thoughts on each game

I quote the ending:

"So the results basically say this: That RS07 was by far the better tutorial and overall the more attractive game for newcomers. There were pros and cons to both of the games and neither was perfect."

"Most people prefer the old combat system, even though it was simpler."

Although it was a small sample size, I believe the survey was well conducted and does shed light on some interesting details that some of us have been oblivious to before such as the tutorial, new game mechanics and overall fresh user experience.

What are your thoughts on this?

• Like 2

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

The points in favor of 07scape also apply to RSC, but noone is playing that... Really, you need to move on. Runescape wasn't super popular in 07 because of the gameplay and graphics. 

• Like 5

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

RS3 does have a steeper learning curve as far as the combat aspect goes, but it allows for more variation which can make it easier to stick around to it.

Given combat is the first thing people will get into, the 'simplicity' makes it more accessible to newcomers. Whereas the complexity is for some (mostly high end)players one of the reasons to keep going at it. Given the current player base is rather top-heave (stats wise), RS3 should have more appeal to the active playerbase then newcomers.

Momentum should probably be made mandatory for the first X levels or so though, to avoid the steepness of the learning curve.

• Like 1
Vmser.png

A very interesting video.

I guess more serious gamers nowadays prefer to spend their time on games like dota2, sc2 or the myriad of fps games. So what's left are the casual gamers who either prefer simpler, and less competitive games or just haven't got enough time to devote to those games (where time invested actually matters imo). But I think RS3 is a lot more beginner friendly/forgiving than its predecessors (RS2 and RSC) - the learning curve for combat could be seen as steep, if you compare it against the simpler RS2, but I would imagine most newcomers would have had some degree of exposure to other titles in the MMORPG genre - where such ability bar-driven combat is the norm. And I guess the strive for efficiency is also not unique to RS3 (in terms of ability bar setup with revolution, gearing, training etc.), and one could always go back and adopt the trial and error or do-whatever-you-want methods.

The other things that matters is the first impression. It seems like Jagex has been trying to repackage the game, to shake off the negative stereotype, which is still a bit of a stigma within the gaming community (have had some interesting conversation with gamers in rs and others from time to time). I can see they have done some serious work with the the fancy CG trailers, new website, new tutorials and skill introduction, but the core aspects of the game remain largely unchanged from RS2 to 3. But if the potential market of casual newcomers don't have much previous experience in the genre, it does make sense that they prefer the modest version with simple interfaces, combat and skilling systems (...but then why would they decide to join? Especially with the rise of mobile games). If this is the case, then the trailers and those fancy new additions (like cosmetics) wouldn't have made much of a difference.

As for the continuation of existing players, I guess most people who have already had experience in other more 'complex' MMORPG, and so the move up to RS3 isn't going to be all that difficult. I think changes are good and necessary (over time), which is why these polls about bringing back things of the past can be quite dangerous. Nostalgia can be seen as denial of the present; a general unwillingness to step out of the comfort zone, and I think this kind of mentality does more harm than good to the game - forever living in the past. If they wanted to change the results to the video in the original post, i.e. to bring back former players and attracting new players, they need to think of something actually new to them, recreating the 'wow!' factor.

• Like 2

'Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.' T.S. Eliot

I think some question could be raised around the test subjects themselves.

I mean a non-gamer is likely to prefer the simpler OSRS because it is simpler and they do not understand more complex gaming systems.

Whilst an experienced gamer is likely to prefer the more complex game because they can actually understand it easier.

Not to mention the very small sample size, 6 people doesn't really give a real idea of any actual trends or overall studies - Especially when you consider they are HIS friends you expect them to have similar personality to him and thus would likely have similar opinions on a lot of issues which creates an obvious bias.

The fact they are older players trying something aimed at a younger audience the 'retro' thing that reminds them of their childhood obviously has a bias (I mean ask any 20 something and they will gladly spout out about the awesomeness of rewatching kids shows from their youth despite the fact they look absolutely rubbish compared to modern things - its a natural age bias. Heck one guy even went on and on about liking it because it is retro.)

etc.

Some of the smaller nuances it brings up is certainly worthy of note though (even if we rather knew a lot of these already) - things like the new interfaces having no obvious X-button for logging out.

The fact that the darker more mysterious style is preferential to the bright-friendly style they plastered in to many newer things.

Tutorial isn't working quite right.

etc.

I find the 'approve-disapprove' scale a bit misleading on some answers though:

Graphics mostly people said they looked cartoonish and were alright yet they all got lumped in 'disapprove' despite the fact largely they didn't say anything overly negative.

Combat system again they mostly got 'disapprove' but that oversimplifies it because most didn't say it was like totally bad they just said it was a bit slow - which to me is more of a middle ground.

And some of them don't really show much at all like 'would you keep playing?' - That's kinda entirely subjective since for the most part these are not people in the target market and openly not mmorpg-type gamers. They aren't really the type you'd expect to engage and play longterm.

I'd definitely agree with the sort of 'start with old combat' type curve - I'd said a fair while ago that really you should start with click and wait and then sort of lvl 20 or so start to bring in abilities and build it up like that.

• Like 2

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I can't really think of many ways in which RS3 is superior to OSRS, with the exception of irrelevant things like graphics.

The OSRS community seems much more happy and grateful, the Jmods are much more respected and transparent, the updates are consistently well-received, there's plenty of exciting content to look forward to every month without delays, the game is more social and interactive, and everybody has different goals (as opposed to everybody just trying to max and PvM).

• Like 4

77yLQy8.png

Heck one guy even went on and on about liking it because it is retro.

I get the feeling that the retro aesthetic is making a comeback thanks to indie games. There's a pretty big market for that kind of thing (not just because of nostalgia) and you can't discount it just because it's not as flashy as newer games. What's cartoony and dated to one can be simple and expressive to another, while realistic and gritty can just as easily be dull and uninspired (Zelda: Wind Waker versus Twilight Princess, or Team Fortress 2 versus CoD/Battlefield. Not saying anything about the quality, but you can do different things with each aesthetic)

I might not like OSRS, but I still think they could learn a thing or two from it... Not the more-blatant-than-RS3 pandering elements (you're playing a game made specifically to cater to RS07 players who are upset about EoC, they're probably going to agree on stuff), of course, but the simplicity/clarity of it. RS3 is less a consistent game and more a collection of needlessly complicated features from different eras that only barely fit together. Too many cooks, and all that.

Or, as has been said before, compare it to other free MMOs (rather than itself) and see how it stands up. I tried a couple a few years ago and (at least from a couple of hours of gameplay) their combat systems managed to be about as involved as EoC without all of its arbitrary complexity - each action felt necessary and strategic. On the other hand, Scape has noncombat skills and options that had about as much depth as combat, and story-driven quests rather than gameplay-driven quests... Nowadays they've neglected the former and bad writing plagues the latter.

• Like 2

I get the feeling that the retro aesthetic is making a comeback thanks to indie games. There's a pretty big market for that kind of thing (not just because of nostalgia) and you can't discount it just because it's not as flashy as newer games. It's simple, expressive

I might not like OSRS, but I still think they could learn a thing or two from it... Not the more-blatant-than-RS3 pandering elements (you're playing a game made specifically to cater to RS07 players who are upset about EoC, they're probably going to agree on stuff), of course, but the simplicity/clarity of it. RS3 is less a consistent game and more a collection of needlessly complicated features from different eras that only barely fit together.

Or, as has been said before, compare it to other free MMOs (rather than itself) and see how it stands up. I tried a couple a few years ago and (at least from a couple of hours of gameplay) their combat systems managed to be about as involved as EoC without all of its arbitrary complexity - each action felt like it meant something. On the other hand, Scape has noncombat skills and options, and story-driven quests rather than gameplay-driven quests... Nowadays they've neglected the former and bad writing plagues the latter.

Retro has been in for a while, but its already getting quite tired and old hat as people look forward with the innovations of the new wave of consoles.

Equally yes indie games playing up the retro can work wonderfully, but I don't think a game like Runescape in the mainstream market can compete by trying to play up the retro and equally it was simply making the point that in this 'study' the test subjects weren't all that sound - they all seemed to like the nostalgia that the retro-look brought to them reminding them of what games were like when they were younger not because it added anything to the game or made it more appeal especially considering as the video admits the target audience is much younger and that 'retro' feel is gonna be totally lost on them because they come from a generation where things look so much better.

Retro is certainly a hot button trend right now but it'll be dead soon enough and when the target market is an age that retro look is lost on and in a market that doesn't really play with the whole retro scheme it just seems like it'd be a bad idea to chase simply because people older than the target market get tingly nostalgia feels over low-res bad graphics that are a retro relic from their childhood.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I get the feeling that the retro aesthetic is making a comeback thanks to indie games. There's a pretty big market for that kind of thing (not just because of nostalgia) and you can't discount it just because it's not as flashy as newer games. It's simple, expressive

I might not like OSRS, but I still think they could learn a thing or two from it... Not the more-blatant-than-RS3 pandering elements (you're playing a game made specifically to cater to RS07 players who are upset about EoC, they're probably going to agree on stuff), of course, but the simplicity/clarity of it. RS3 is less a consistent game and more a collection of needlessly complicated features from different eras that only barely fit together.

Or, as has been said before, compare it to other free MMOs (rather than itself) and see how it stands up. I tried a couple a few years ago and (at least from a couple of hours of gameplay) their combat systems managed to be about as involved as EoC without all of its arbitrary complexity - each action felt like it meant something. On the other hand, Scape has noncombat skills and options, and story-driven quests rather than gameplay-driven quests... Nowadays they've neglected the former and bad writing plagues the latter.

Retro has been in for a while, but its already getting quite tired and old hat as people look forward with the innovations of the new wave of consoles.

Equally yes indie games playing up the retro can work wonderfully, but I don't think a game like Runescape in the mainstream market can compete by trying to play up the retro and equally it was simply making the point that in this 'study' the test subjects weren't all that sound - they all seemed to like the nostalgia that the retro-look brought to them reminding them of what games were like when they were younger not because it added anything to the game or made it more appeal especially considering as the video admits the target audience is much younger and that 'retro' feel is gonna be totally lost on them because they come from a generation where things look so much better.

Retro is certainly a hot button trend right now but it'll be dead soon enough and when the target market is an age that retro look is lost on and in a market that doesn't really play with the whole retro scheme it just seems like it'd be a bad idea to chase simply because people older than the target market get tingly nostalgia feels over low-res bad graphics that are a retro relic from their childhood.

While I agree Jagex shouldn't try to market Runescape in the retro space, I disagree with you saying that retro will be dead soon enough. Like you said, retro works very well for indie games and considering many indie games get their start as apps for phones and small media devices, I would be inclined to say at the very least retro style games will be a niche market. But I don't see it dying out.

As for the survey I agree with some of the points there and earlier points you made. The game is indeed too bright and if they could fix the color I think that will solve a large part of the problem. I also do agree some of the comments did not belong in the disapprove section of the survey and were more undecided/indifferent.

And while I am used to it, I do agree the interface is too much and combat to complex for a newcomer, experienced or not. Player probably should have similar combat and interface like OSRS until they reach a certain point where they can diversify their playing experience.

As for the tutorial, it was talked about in a topic in either the general discussion or rant forum and I think one of the solutions there was to introduce what one needed to know as they go along. I personally feel the current tutorial is better than what they previously had for RS3, but is still worse than OSRS. At the same I feel OSRS tutorial is just too long and some of the details there can be done away with, especially since we have quest that can teach you the same thing. Introduce what people need to know know and as they explore give them the option to learn more.

I'd love to see a follow up to this with more subjects, a longer term playing. Like having a certain sample size play a beginner account and actually build their account up on both sides of the game.

29386_s.gif

"Goals dont have a deadline." -xxxgod quoting Lady Shahdie

[slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]

I can't really think of many ways in which RS3 is superior to OSRS, with the exception of irrelevant things like graphics.

The OSRS community seems much more happy and grateful, the Jmods are much more respected and transparent, the updates are consistently well-received, there's plenty of exciting content to look forward to every month without delays, the game is more social and interactive, and everybody has different goals (as opposed to everybody just trying to max and PvM).

And they are receiving a complete overhaul of the wilderness.

Sometimes I wonder why they bother asking for feedback in RS3 when they seem to only adjust in OSRS (major).

Must swap moolah...

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

Sometimes I wonder why they bother asking for feedback in RS3 when they seem to only adjust in OSRS (major).

Must swap moolah...

Ironically, right after I posted that, they decided to nerf NMZ which means I probably won't be playing RSOS anymore since I have neither the time nor the patience to train magic "traditionally." :P

Other than that, though, I still stand by my point and can't really see any aspects of RS3 which are superior to OSRS.

77yLQy8.png

Must swap moolah...

Ironically, right after I posted that, they decided to nerf NMZ which means I probably won't be playing RSOS anymore since I have neither the time nor the patience to train magic "traditionally." :P

Other than that, though, I still stand by my point and can't really see any aspects of RS3 which are superior to OSRS.

Not even the aspect where Magic can be trained much faster, which is good when you don't have the time nor the patience to do it traditionally?

Or did you mean that this is the only aspect of RS3 you find superior to OSRS?

• Like 1

Must swap moolah...

Not even the aspect where Magic can be trained much faster, which is good when you don't have the time nor the patience to do it traditionally?

Or did you mean that this is the only aspect of RS3 you find superior to OSRS?

Comparing magic (and training) in RS3 to OSRS is comparing apples to oranges in my case. I already have 99 magic in RS3 and I have no incentive to train anything in RS3. If I was level 1 magic in RS3 and it was free and AFK to get 1M magic xp/hour, I still wouldn't train it because I would be wasting my time. There's no reason for me to train magic in RS3, but in OSRS there is a reason for me to train magic (for PvP).

I would love to have 99 range, 99 mage, 99 strength, and 45 defense in OSRS because it would allow me to have the most fun doing what I enjoy the most in RS: PvP.

However, considering I no longer possess the time nor the patience to achieve that goal, that simply means that I will not be playing OSRS for any reason except to keep my kingdom at 100% approval. The NMZ nerf added a massive amount of time needed to hit that goal, and that is time which I do not possess. So therefore I have basically abandoned that goal because it's definitely not in by best interest to prioritize RS time over RL time.

Hope that makes sense.

77yLQy8.png

Completely and wholeheartedly agree...

Still not gonna start from utter scratch and train my account all the way back up after investing my time in my RS3 account, and I have a feeling that this is the only reason a lot of players stuck with RS3...

• Like 1

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Still not gonna start from utter scratch and train my account all the way back up after investing my time in my RS3 account, and I have a feeling that this is the only reason a lot of players stuck with RS3...

Maybe I'm just a weirdo, but I enjoyed training an OSRS account from scratch. If I didn't genuinely enjoy questing for barrows gloves, or trying to get a fire cape with shitty stats and gear, or figuring out how to overcome the various challenges of a fresh economy along the way, then I wouldn't have played.

It wasn't until after I finished all the quests and got all the equipment I wanted that I realized: the only thing left for me to enjoy was PvP. And I couldn't PvP enjoyably without having 90+ str/mage/range. But the process of hitting those goals is a lot less enjoyable than the process of questing or the process of completing the fight caves. The process is so unenjoyable, in fact, that I would rather not play at all than subject myself to doing something I don't enjoy for hundreds of hours.

As much as I love oldschool PvP, sadly I don't love it enough to justify the massive investment required to achieve it.

But I have a feeling (especially on these forums) that I'm in the minority when I say that RS is about the journey not the destination. :P

77yLQy8.png

Pretty much.

Although I am starting to believe in it, it's just rather annoying this new system has to be literally built from the ground. (PVP-wise)

Other then that aspect it's still a journey :)

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

I so rarely post here but maybe I should start posting more because I'm truly impressed.

This community is really intelligent and they don't bite each others' heads off.

All your points are noted and I'll stress one thing: that the video isn't meant to prove which game version is better.

It's only meant to show that RS3 can learn a lot of 07.

As for the retro debate, hmm....

Is it really a passing phase?

I thought Runescape was already behind other MMO's in graphics, sound and content back in 2007 too.

Yet it still managed to become wildly successful because of that retro feel.

If retro is a phase, it's been a phase for at least the past decade.

• Like 2

wildsig3.gif

Click the image above to be taken to the Wilderness Guardians forums.

I think the current combat system does a good job of seeming complex, while it actually isn't, whereas the old system is the reverse. I'm not at all surprised that new people (somewhat) prefer the old tutorial and intuitive play to the new system. That said, I don't think that crafting the perfect ability rotation is much simpler to understand than the old accuracy equation, so there's that.

• Like 1

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Muggi, just MTK for another 6 months and barrage to 99. :lol:

Lol I'll have 99 range banked soon from it :D

Though I think p pots are crashing now from the update, which sucks because I just spent 10M on prayer potions earlier in the week lol. Oh well, nothing that a couple weeks of MTK can't fix :D

77yLQy8.png

As for the retro debate, hmm....

Is it really a passing phase?

I thought Runescape was already behind other MMO's in graphics, sound and content back in 2007 too.

Yet it still managed to become wildly successful because of that retro feel.

If retro is a phase, it's been a phase for at least the past decade.

I would not say Runescape was ever 'behind' as such.

Did it have comparatively bad graphics compared to other games like WoW at the time? Of course.

But always was an apples and oranges kinda scenario - a disc install type game was bound to have better graphics than a 100% web app and compared to other pure web app games Runescape was kinda leading the pack and still is to a certain extent (if you ignore the subjective style issues and focus purely on the graphical capabilities they are bringing in to play).

Its kinda one of the tropes of the anti-rsers from back in the day to say it was backwards or behind because graphically it was subpar to WoW in particular but they were and remain entirely different game delivery formats so it s kinda unfair to compare them on graphics in particular as there is just such a technological difference between what a meaty download game that is a fully fledged program and a web app can do.

About as close to being behind we got was when the graphics were feeling a little tired and dated shortly before RSHD launched in 2008 and perhaps, to an extent, the very samey look of a lot of items/armours prior to their eoc revamps. I mean I don't think you can really call it intentionally retro when the rs2 initial launch in 2004 had as its peers within gaming things like Halflife 2 and Doom 3 - that style and level of graphics just was not retro at the time. I mean this was a time when we barely had the Xbox, the Wii was a pipe dream with gamecube still an active console and the Gameboy Advanced was still a legit and current console with DS only just arriving. By 2007 it's not like we were lightyears further ahead either for online gaming, though the console field had pushed forward somewhat (360 was around and wii as well as the psp and ps3 but there were still games coming out for the gameboy advanced, gamecube, ps2 and original xbox), I mean its really only the last 3 or 4 years that web apps have really started coming on leaps and bounds with the advent of the smart phone era, more solid broadband coverage (and start of fibre optics) and the 'next gen' wave of coding arriving with html 5 and such.

'Retro' as a thing that is cool and people at large are into is a rather recent trend kinda stemming a bit from the hipster-thing of the past couple of years and also a backlash kinda affair to smartphones and getting too techy and too modern, but subsequently getting more mainstream in fashion, music and all the other big industries (heck even car companies and ad campaigns are trying to cash in on 'retro' now). I mean obviously it didn't happen overnight indie games have been playing with retro styles much longer and the whole '90s kid'/'80s kid' stuff circulating round facebook for years is kinda the forerunner that seeded the nostalgia to open the gates to retro.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I think you have a real point as far as the tutorial is concerned, His Lordship. With Tutorial Island, it could be completed in around 15 minutes then once you hit the mainland you were on your own to do whatever you wanted. Now with the new Ashedale, the game gives you a specific line it wants you to follow as far as quests and such are concerned. It doesn't let you learn for yourself or do what you want to anymore. I think part of the magic of playing RuneScape for me back then was being able to learn at my own pace and instead of learning the game from a tutorial I learned from other players.

You also have a point as far as the interface is concerned. The NIS is extremely confusing to new players, especially with the new system they implemented with everything being in windows rather than in its own little box. The only real things that used to open up new windows in the old interface were the skill guides and the quest interface. Even then, it was a single window that was intuitive and easy to understand. While NIS allows a lot of freedom, it can be difficult to figure out how to use, especially when you don't even know what most of the things you're dragging around the screen are.

-Ethan

I think the current combat system does a good job of seeming complex, while it actually isn't, whereas the old system is the reverse. I'm not at all surprised that new people (somewhat) prefer the old tutorial and intuitive play to the new system. That said, I don't think that crafting the perfect ability rotation is much simpler to understand than the old accuracy equation, so there's that.

I think a sizeable portion of people stayed oblivious to the accuracy/max hit equations back then (I do recall reading massive posts by Paleas and Oblivion a few years ago, I would think that the numbers scared off half the population right from the start), and why would they pay much attention to it anyway? I agree that people may prefer old tutorial and style of play, either because they are drawn into the allure of Gielinor or because they dislike other MMORPG available at the time. I guess the only connection those equations have with them, is when they ask whether what they are wearing to combat is best...and we use the equations and the numbers are evidence to justify our views. If players go about with the 'ignorance is bliss' attitude, it does seem like they would have had a nicer time back then.

The current system thrusts the numbers (the tooltips to the abilities, the crits, the damage/armour ratings etc.) right up to the players. Pre-revolution, there are more things to manage (if one isn't using momentum), in ability uses and cooldowns. It is possible to play without paying much attention to these numbers, but it would noticeably affect the quality of the gameplay; and at the end one might just feel obligated to learn some of it. It is not entirely appealing to those preferring something other than that (why else would they join?).

I am wondering whether the 07 and live games have lagged behind its times respectively. If one plays some other games, the live game might feel like one from yesteryear.

'Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.' T.S. Eliot

yeah, i liked the game more when i was playing the first system that i totally didn't understand and was probably playing wrong, instead of the second system that i totally didn't understand and was probably playing wrong

plus it was super easy to pick gear when a handful of items at each tier were useful and the rest were utter shit

i made all of these judgments after playing the game for ten minutes

okay, i'm gonna be serious here

when i first started runescape....

combat was almost unbearable and i spent the first year of it fishing because i would have rather done that instead of fight goblins for half an hour with almost zero reward for it, using a crappy weapon i found on the ground since smithing was borderline ridiculous to deal with

so of course it's better

8f14270694.jpg