17 March 2014 Mahjarrat Memories

Miss Lioness

So doesn't Azzanadra come off as flipping crazy in the worst possible way from his memory?

His memory is clearly of before he was trapped in the pyramid. Not during. If it were during, then I could see and understand the crazy. But before? Caray!!!

What I'm not sure of is whether he still has this mindset or not. Either way, I'm more wary of his true intentions now, and I also can't believe Sliske would, for one second, not know that Azzanadra was pretending Zaros was talking to him.

Azzanadra comes off as crazy to you guys? He was just stepping up so that the empire wouldn't crumble.

Except he started to believe his own lie. That's when you cross the line from normal to losing your shit.

I'm not sure he started to believe the lie though. Isn't it possible that Zaros actually spoke to Azzandra after a while?

there is also the distinct possibility that somebody figured out the lie, and then posed as the voice of zaros in order to mislead azzanadra for their own purposes

somebody good at both spotting, and creating lies

can't for the life of me think of anybody we know that deals in that kind of thing

8f14270694.jpg

it's less about what he did, and more about how it sounds after he started doing it, cause it sort of sounds like the same thing that happened to hreidmar

however, it still miiiiight be true if what you see if you back zaros in the meeting actually happened

what i'm more concerned about is that mahjarrat can only reproduce during an earthquake

i will not stop making jokes about that

anyway, looking forward to seeing how azzanadra and sliske argue with each other in the new quest

Correction on the breeding thing:

It was clearly pointed out the ritual was mere custom and not necessary, however it was also pointed out that on their homeworld they rejuvenated from an energy source on the world, where as on Gielinor they seem to draw upon the energy they would've used to create an offspring; which is why they can't seemingly breed on Gielinor as it'd mean they can't rejuvenate.

So doesn't Azzanadra come off as flipping crazy in the worst possible way from his memory?

His memory is clearly of before he was trapped in the pyramid. Not during. If it were during, then I could see and understand the crazy. But before? Caray!!!

What I'm not sure of is whether he still has this mindset or not. Either way, I'm more wary of his true intentions now, and I also can't believe Sliske would, for one second, not know that Azzanadra was pretending Zaros was talking to him.

Azzanadra comes off as crazy to you guys? He was just stepping up so that the empire wouldn't crumble.

Except he started to believe his own lie. That's when you cross the line from normal to losing your shit.

I'm not sure he started to believe the lie though. Isn't it possible that Zaros actually spoke to Azzandra after a while?

We can safely say Zaros did not talk to Azzanadra in this time as the entire context and lore fo Temple and Sennistein (and Azzanadra content before it) is that Zaros has been unreachable since he 'died' and that we are helping Azzanadra supercharge/fix the communion portal in hopes that all these thousands of years later Zaros is finally strong enough to make contact.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

given the heavy implications of what mahjarrat phyisology is like and what they can do, is it at all possible that they're beings made entirely out of a god's energy?

dang it i double posted

8f14270694.jpg

it's less about what he did, and more about how it sounds after he started doing it, cause it sort of sounds like the same thing that happened to hreidmar

however, it still miiiiight be true if what you see if you back zaros in the meeting actually happened

what i'm more concerned about is that mahjarrat can only reproduce during an earthquake

anyway, looking forward to seeing how azzanadra and sliske argue with each other in the new quest

It was clearly pointed out the ritual was mere custom and not necessary, however it was also pointed out that on their homeworld they rejuvenated from an energy source on the world, where as on Gielinor they seem to draw upon the energy they would've used to create an offspring; which is why they can't seemingly breed on Gielinor as it'd mean they can't rejuvenate.

Not true, the Ritual of Enervation (the breeding) is a very different one to the Ritual for power. They are both described as different ones. The fact that Palkeera gave birth to Khazard on Gielinor confirms it.

I think in the FAQ they should address the potential story of these mahjarrat. This is to see if any of them survived the explosion. The wikia seems to have the stories in chronological order. I need to go through them, take note of their names and see if any were mentioned after the blast.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

[hide]I had a thought on the whole Azzandra being crazy with the portal and zaros. based on how these memories are ancient and it was gotten in the pyramid i assumed it meant a different portal all together, and not the one at sinnestin. [/hide]

nee0cg.png

Clicky siggy for blog

Thanks Pendonub for fancy new sig

Thieving guide[WIP]

Loyal player since May 2005 and member since November 2005 and Tifer for many years

~~~legoman187~~~

Not true, the Ritual of Enervation (the breeding) is a very different one to the Ritual for power. They are both described as different ones. The fact that Palkeera gave birth to Khazard on Gielinor confirms it.

They are very different yes however it is detailed in the memories that after coming to Gielinor and meeting Zaros etc the point was raised that they are pure custom and not strictly necessary AND after observing a ritual of regen Zaros specifically hypothesised that the energy that would become a new baby was being used to sustain them in place of the energy they received from unknown source on frenskae.

Ergo there is no need for an earthquake for them to breed it is pure custom, but in Gielinor specifically there have issues with breeding as to do so would interfer with their regeneration due to expenditure of the life force to the baby instead of to regeneration.

This is even in-keeping with the Khazard lore - Palkeera died on Gielinor, yet she is not listed anywhere as having a reason of death and is absent from Zemourgals list of past ritual sacrifices. The inference with this new detail being by conceiving Khazard she used up the energy that would've been used for her next regeneration and thus expired of "old age" (or the mahjratt equivalent) before the next regen.

It would also fit in with the idea of Moia being an 'experiment' in continuing the race via non-mahjaratt females since Enkhara having a child would kill her leaving them no more potential mates unless she carried a girl - and even then they still have the 1 female issue which would kill the line should she not bear a female child.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

There is no evidence (perhaps I misread or forget about it) at the moment suggesting that if Enakhra were to give birth, that she'd die. Indeed, wasn't it Lucien, or was it Zemouregal, that tried to reproduce with Enakra but she turned him down, because she loved Zammy or whatever? Zemouregal/Enakhra seem to admit that sexual reproduction is still possible for their species. It's possible Khazard's mom died because she didn't attend enough Rituals. I thought the Mahjarrat weren't reproducing anymore largely because there weren't enough females around (and Enakhra sort of refused), rather than them having difficulties. Still also not sure why reproducing would mean they can't have the Ritual of Rejuvenation?

If female mahjarrat always died during childbirth, there'd be no population growth. It is possible that that wasn't true on Freneskae, though.

I think Sy is probably right because it'd just be kinda lame if she died in battle or didn't attend rituals.

If female mahjarrat always died during childbirth, there'd be no population growth. It is possible that that wasn't true on Freneskae, though.

I think Sy is probably right because it'd just be kinda lame if she died in battle or didn't attend rituals.

Why not? She wouldn't be the only Mahjarrat to have started avoiding rituals (Jhallan tried this), or to have died in battle. 

From the memory books, it seems that Mah would create hordes of Muspahs, and the only way to save themselves was the Mahjarrat performing the Ritual of Rejuvenation (complete with a sacrifice and Ritual Marker). When she would create earthquakes and avalanches out of angry, only the Ritual of Enervation (or procreation) could pacify her.

When they came to Gelinor, they forgot about the rituals for a while, and there was some debate when they switched to Zaros, whether a sacrifice was still needed. They had also lost their ritual stone. Zaros created another for them, and offered to observe. They performed the Ritual of Rejuvenation, and Zaros explained that now that Mah wasn't there, all the energy that they typically had for 'propitiation' - an exact quote, meaning expiation, or appeasing of a diety, particularly by making an offering - not to be confused with procreation - would instead be given to the Mahjarrat themselves.* And that over time, unless there were successive rituals, this energy would diminish. That's all. It has nothing to do with procreation or the Ritual of Enervation, and Wahisetal himself believes that the presence of earthquakes is not necessary for procreation.

The only inference to make from this is that, it seems, Mah was actually absorbing the energy of the sacrificed Mahjarrat for herself from all those rituals. Since she is no longer here, the Mahjarrat can instead consume that energy themselves. 

Sy Accursed quote, and my footnote:

They are very different yes however it is detailed in the memories that after coming to Gielinor and meeting Zaros etc the point was raised that they are pure custom and not strictly necessary AND after observing a ritual of regen Zaros specifically hypothesised that the energy that would become a new baby was being used to sustain them in place of the energy they received from unknown source on frenskae.

Ergo there is no need for an earthquake for them to breed it is pure custom, but in Gielinor specifically there have issues with breeding as to do so would interfer with their regeneration due to expenditure of the life force to the baby instead of to regeneration.

*Sy said that according to the memory book, Zaros said that all the energy used for procreation was instead available to the Mahjarrat now that they were on Gelinor. This is false. Zaros said that all the energy used for propitiation (NOT procreation) was available to the Mahjarrat now. That's where the misunderstanding seems to come from.

Your definition of propitiation is not entirely correct.

It means the act of placating or overcoming distrust and animosity or the act of atoning for sin or wrongdoing, it does not have to refer to an offering to a god even though that would be a common usage it is equally propitiation to offer a cookie to someone because you accidentally upset them or to offer to clean the dishes because you missed curfew.

Equally the question of Muspah's is debatable a big part of the Muspah quest was the fact the creatures were a myth, like the boogeyman of mahjaratt. If this holds true (and theres no reason to really doubt it since the memories specifically said they had not seen muspah in a long time and no living mah has seen one) then there is no reason to believe the reasoning for the ritual holds true, since they kept performing it anyway, other than a propaganda smoke screen of its real purpose - the regenerative effects.

Plus if the reason for the ritual was to placate Mother Mah and nothing more then it'd remove the entire reason for them to continue performing the ritual, even out of habit in Gielinor, as there are no Muspah and no Mother Mah to placate which kinda suggests the ritual served a different purpose.

Then fact in Mod Osbourne has said there is a very real reason why Mahjaratt can't breed on Gielinor, Palkeera's questionable death, the Moia experiment, the Offerings of breeding to Enkhara sans earthquake that she turned down and it does kinda fit together quite cleanly.

The energy spent in propitiation from the regen ritual on Frenskae could easily be propitiation for killing by producing a new life, bearing in mind Mahjaratt don't eat and instead absorb energy to survive (as referenced in the memories) so it'd be logical for a surplus of energy to become a new life. Plus their deterioation and need to magically regen seems specifically Gielinorian related, combined with implied phrases in the memories that suggest in Frenskae they had some other energy source, an energy source that could regen them at the ritual without consuming the energy for propitiation where as in Gielinor that energy finds a new use as the source of their regeneration.

The idea Frenskae has some power source that fuelled their regens that they can't use on Gielinor also holds some water with why Zaros went there - he was weakened and worn out by the body lose and needed to regenerate a world that has a source of regenerative energy to hand would make sense to go to especially seeing as he seems to have no other tie to this world. He never seems to have left Gielinor after his initial arrival until he 'died' and he didn't come from Frenskae originally.

I mean of course it is all theoretical and could be disproven by FotG or other content at a later date, but the wording and frameworks we currently have certainly fit quite easily with the idea that Mahjratt cannot breed on Gielinor because the energy used to create the children is required to regenerate in absence of the Frenskae energy source.

Edit: Cause I derped and missed off the 2nd half of definition which is the important half.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Your definition of propitiation is wrong.

It means the act of placating or overcoming distrust and animosity, it does not have to refer to an offering to a god.

Equally the question of Muspah's is debatable a big part of the Muspah quest was the fact the creatures were a myth, like the boogeyman of mahjaratt. If this holds true (and theres no reason to really doubt it since the memories specifically said they had not seen muspah in a long time and no living mah has seen one) then there is no reason to believe the reasoning for the ritual holds true.

Plus if the reason for the ritual was to placate Mother Mah and nothing more then it'd remove the entire reason for them to continue performing the ritual, even out of habit in Gielinor, as there are no Muspah and no Mother Mah to placate which kinda suggests the ritual served a different purpose.

Then fact in Mod Osbourne has said there is a very real reason why Mahjaratt can't breed on Gielinor, Palkeera's questionable death, the Moia experiment, the Offerings of breeding to Enkhara sans earthquake that she turned down and it does kinda fit with the breeding idea.

The energy spent in propitiation from the regen ritual on Frenskae could easily be propitiation for killing by producing a new life, bearing in mind Mahjaratt don't eat and instead absorb energy to survive (as referenced in the memories) so it'd be logical for a surplus of energy to become a new life. Plus their deterioation and need to magically regen seems specifically Gielinorian related, combined with implied phrases in the memories that suggest in Frenskae they had some other energy source, an energy source that could regen them at the ritual without consuming the energy for propitiation where as in Gielinor that energy finds a new use as the source of their regeneration.

My definition is not my own, instead it was ripped off from a google search (from the first few dictionaries), so it isn't wrong. Words often have multiple, slightly varying meanings. If you search the term, you will find multiple dictionaries with meanings almost identical to the one I supplied above. 

As for why they continued to perform the ritual after having left their homeworld, again, this is mentioned in the book of Wahiesetal: out of habit, and as a measure of political control, rather than as a religious practice. In fact, in Wahisetal's book, he mentions that even before they left Freneskae, by the time of his birth, it had been several thousand years since a Muspah had been seen (or thought to have been seen), but they performed the ritual nonetheless and it became an intrinsic part of Mahjarrat culture. I don't think you have properly read Wahisetal's book, or perhaps you have forgotten certain details. You should reread it. That's where the misunderstandings seem to come from. Your conjecture about the Ritual of Rejevunation granting the Mahjarrat the energy that was typically reserved for procreation or a new baby (and your claim that Zaros hypothesized this) are false. Zaros specifically is claimed to have said, in the book of Wahisetal, and I quote:

"The Ritual proceeded with an uncommon solemnity in the presence of an actual god, and afterwards Zaros explained what he had been able to perceive of it. In the absence of Mother Mah, whose genuine existence he seemed not to question, he explained that the energies that had been intended for propitiation had instead been distributed amongst the rest of us. He told us that on this world, without regular sacrifice our energies would wither and we would perish. He cautioned however to perform the Ritual infrequently, and recommended an interim of five centuries."

*Bold, or emphasis mine.

As for Mod Osbourne, he may have said that (I don't personally recall seeing it), but it's possible they abandoned that idea, as Jagex has been careless with their lore. Whatever the case, from the memory books and what concrete information we have in the game, the conjecture that you are proposing is not supported as of now.

^I editted cause I missed off the 2nd definition which was important and fixed my wording because wrong was too strong a way to phrase it.

It was not wrong, just not entirely correct.

And the conjecturing I propose is perfectly supported by in-game facts given the full and true definition of the word propitiation.

Also you entirely fail to see one of my points:

My point was the ritual is SUPPOSED to be to placate the Muspah that are questionable of existence.

The fact they however do it when these creatures may NEVER have existed infers an ulterior purpose, even if performed out of habit. An ulterior purpose that would be backed up by the fact it regenerates them and they would wither and perish without it.

I was never questioning the fact they do it from habit, but the origin of doing it all seeing as the stated reason for the rituals existence hinges on a creature attacking that as far as current evidence suggests never existed at all, which makes it questionable.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

^I editted cause I missed off the 2nd definition which was important and fixed my wording because wrong was too strong a way to phrase it.

It was not wrong, just not entirely correct.

And the conjecturing I propose is perfectly supported by in-game facts given the full and true definition of the word propitiation.

Also you entirely fail to see one of my points:

My point was the ritual is SUPPOSED to be to placate the Muspah that are questionable of existence.

The fact they however do it when these creatures may NEVER have existed infers an ulterior purpose, even if performed out of habit. An ulterior purpose that would be backed up by the fact it regenerates them and they would wither and perish without it.

I was never questioning the fact they do it from habit, but the origin of doing it all seeing as the stated reason for the rituals existence hinges on a creature attacking that as far as current evidence suggests never existed at all, which makes it questionable.

There is no need to infer an additional ulterior purpose, because, again, in the book of Wahiesetal, he makes it clear that the Ritual of Rejevenation has become ingrained in Mahjarrat culture and has political uses, rather than religious ones.

We know that Mah exists. We don't know if the Muspah exist. It's possible that it was a bogeyman, but whatever the case may be, it seems the Ritual has evolved to have political purposes.

The best fit of the word 'propitation' in this context is my explanation, namely that, to pacify a hostile god, they propitiated through the Ritual of Rejevunation and made a sacrifice (one of their own). When they came to Runescape, they somehow were able to absorb the energy of that offering themselves. Your conjecture about the propitiation being about procreation is a very crude fit that is not supported by the evidence we currently possess. It's based on a circular conjecture (you start out with the assumption that the Ritual had to have been about or linked with procreation, based on the assumption that currently the Mahjarrat are having troubles with procreation).  

Even if I grant that currently they are having troubles with procreation; I still don't see any reason to link that with the Ritual of Rejuvenation. The book of Wahiesetal is clear about this.

You still miss the point:

It is ingrained in their culture yes, it is performed from habit yes, it has uses other than religion yes - none of that is in question at all - but why it began is supposed to be the Muspah.

If the Muspah are a myth it has to have begun for some other reason that has been lost/hidden behind the Muspah myth.

And it is not a crude fit at all - giving new life would be perfect propitiation for sacrificing a life; there is even real world cultural references for such things eg pagan sacrifices in order to secure good harvests or cure diseases thereby giving new life - they all loosely fit the format of propitiation of supporting new life to atone for the sin of killing another.

Also I am not remotely suggesting that the ritual of regeneration is about procreation.

I am suggesting the ritual of regeneration was always about just that - regeneration in spite of the Muspah myth and nothing to do with appeasing a god.

The difference is on Frenskae they regenerated from an external energy source, but on Gielinor they have to regenerate from an internal energy source. I am therefore suggesting that energy source they use from within is the energy that would've been used to create a child thus explaining their problems with breeding on Gielinor.

I am simply saying it is possible removal from the homeworld has created a situation where by they energy that would've been used to create new life has to be appropriated for the regeneration due to the absence of the external energy source they previously, unknowingly, used.

Also we do not know that Mah exists - we know they referenced her and thought her a deity and we know that anyone who went up there never returned. The one thing we do not however know is that she actually existed seeing as we have no-one living or dead giving any account of actually seeing her. Of the two things she supposedly did (Muspah swarms and earthquakes) one is quite possibly entirely a myth and the other is perfectly explainable by nature alone, so they don't really prove her existence either.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

You still miss the point:

It is ingrained in their culture yes, it is performed from habit yes, it has uses other than religion yes - none of that is in question at all - but why it began is supposed to be the Muspah.

If the Muspah are a myth it has to have begun for some other reason that has been lost/hidden behind the Muspah myth.

And it is not a crude fit at all - giving new life would be perfect propitiation for sacrificing a life; there is even cultural references for such things eg pagan sacrifices in order to secure good harvests or cure diseases thereby giving new life.

Also I am not remotely suggesting that the ritual of regeneration is about procreation.

I am suggesting the ritual of regeneration was always about just that - regeneration in spite of the Muspah myth and nothing to do with appeasing a god.

The difference is on Frenskae they regenerated from an external energy source, but on Gielinor they have to regenerate from an internal energy source. I am therefore suggesting that energy source they use from within is the energy that would've been used to create a child thus explaining their problems with breeding on Gielinor.

I am simply saying it is possible removal from the homeworld has created a situation where by they energy that would've been used to create new life has to be appropriated for the regeneration due to the absence of the external energy source they previously used.

It was originally performed to placate Mah (not the Muspah), when she was either in actuality or thought to have been spawning Muspahs. The reason they did this was: a) because Mah actually spawned the Muspah, or, b) they were instructed from birth, by their elders (for whatever reason), to do this.

It's a crude fit because the book of Wahesetal already explains that procreation is linked to the Ritual of Enervation, not the Ritual of Rejuvenation. Now you can hypothesize that in reality, the Ritual of Rejuvenation is actually about some sort of penance for murder, but just be aware that there is no evidence at the moment to support this. You started this train of discussion on the basis of the false claim that Zaros hypothesized that the Ritual granted the Mahjarrat the power that was typically reserved for a new life (and that this is why they couldn't procreate any more; this was your inference). Well, nowhere in the books is Zaros said to have hypothesized this. Now you are retroactively trying to retcon in your conjecture -- I don't know why. 

The energy used for the Ritual of Rejevenation is not linked to the energy they would have used for procreation. No where in the books are we given any reason to believe this. Also, the energy used for rejuvenation comes from the sacrificed Mahjarrat, not internally from the other members.

Again you are not getting my point:

This is a list of things I am not saying:

1) The ritual of regeneration has anything to do with procreation

2) The two rituals are related or interlinked.

What I am claiming:

By pure circumstance of being away from Frenskae they have created a situation where energy traditionally used to procreate has instead been repurposed to regeneration.

It fits perfectly with Zaros comment as it is possible the energy used for propitiation references energy used to create a new life and said new life could be considered propitiation for taking life in the ritual of regeneration.

Also again it was the ritual was used to placate Mah because she sent Muspah - if the Muspah are a myth it throws doubt on to why it started. You can cite the reasons in the books as much as you like on this one the fact remains the supposed reason it started is very possibly entirely mythical which means it has an alternate origin.

I'm not saying there is a black and white reference that proves this in the books, all I am saying is within the framework of the facts we do have it makes sense, just as much as your view point does, there is nothing that outright contradicts it and all the wording and events can fit in a way that it makes sense. The only reason I am even replying here is because I dislike the fact you are twisting my words to things I did not say and trying to imply I'm just wrong/my theory is any less true than yours, when what I actually have said does not contradict any fact we have been given and is just as valid a theory as the more simplistic the energy was given to Mah and now its not so it lets them regen.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Except, the Mahjarrat do not consider murder, even of their own kin, to be some sort of sin, or something to atone for. In fact, they openly celebrate culling the weak of their species, and social Darwinism. They also consider violence and the rule of the strong to be the 'natural' way. So why would they be the atoning for the loss of a life, when they don't view it as a bad thing? It's far more likely, and strongly supported, that the term 'propitiation' in this context refers to them trying to appease Mah. The energy used for this propitiation is the energy of the sacrificed Mahjarrat (we know that upon death they release bursts of energy), and it is this same energy that they consume in modern-day rituals. This energy, again, comes from the sacrificed Mahjarrat, and as far as the books attest, has no link whatsoever to whatever energy they might need to procreate.

There is no reference anywhere that the energy used for propitiation was the same energy that they used for procreation. Nowhere. Zaros, again, does not comment on procreation. Nowhere does he mention that the energy used to procreate is what is being used to sustain them on Gelinor. There is no reference at all to the propitiation in the Ritual of Rejevention having anything to do with the sacrifice used in the ritual that is killed. The most clear reading seems to be that the Ritual of Rejuvenation sacrifices one Mahjarrat as an act of propitiation to appease a hostile god. 

As for twisting words, I am not sure where I have done that (perhaps misunderstood, yes). You made a claim that turned out to be untrue (an honest mistake) about Zaros hypothesizing something. You refuse to document this, or acknowledge that you made a mistake, and keep trying to recton your original misunderstanding. 

tl;dr

Mahjarrat = energy

Ritual of rejuvination:

One mahjarrat is sacrificed and their energy is equally dispursed throughout the attending mahjarrat.

Ritual of enervation:

Two mahjarrat procreate dispursing some of their energy to create offspring.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

tl;dr

Mahjarrat = energy

Ritual of rejuvination:

One mahjarrat is sacrificed and their energy is equally dispursed throughout the attending mahjarrat.

Ritual of enervation:

Two mahjarrat procreate dispursing some of their energy to create offspring.

I think they're arguing about the end point of the energy in the Rejuvenation ritual. On Freneskae, it supposedly went towards placating Mother Mah, whereas on Gielinor in her absence it went towards the remaining Mahjarrat to rejuvenate them.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.