ArenaSCAPE Tip.It Game

princepwn

I remember 10 or more years ago there used to be a Runescape Classic mini-game of sorts that was text based on this site (called ArenaSCAPE).The site seems broken (doesn't send registration email), could someone bring it back? http://arenascape.net/ https://web.archive.org/web/20040714082118/http://www.tip.it/runescape/ http://www.google.com/cse?q=arenascape&cx=012172442310630617423%3Arvve24r-70w#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=arenascape&gsc.page=1

I don't think Silver is going to put in the effort to get that game going again, especially since he hasn't logged into the forums since 2013.  AS was always controlled 100% by him and the crew never had access to any portion of it.    

It still works if you already have an account, but there isn't much of a point.  There are no active players, so you'll be using the same punching bags forever because no one logs in.

~M

I don't think Silver is going to put in the effort to get that game going again, especially since he hasn't logged into the forums since 2013.  AS was always controlled 100% by him and the crew never had access to any portion of it.    

It still works if you already have an account, but there isn't much of a point.  There are no active players, so you'll be using the same punching bags forever because no one logs in.

Have to disagree there. I know Weezcake (and maybe one or two more) had gotten some form of access.

Vmser.png

• 2 weeks later...

That was the name of it!  A few months ago I was trying to Google for it but couldn't think or the name or even how to phrase the query to find anything about it haha.  (Archive.org should have been obvious though, I have no excuse for that slipping my mind.)

I would love to try it again sometime (if I could remember my login).

Zanty.jpegsigquotes.png

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I wouldnt go back to playing with a calculator :P

No matter how much I miss that game :)

I wrote one of the commonly used calculators back then. I'll see if I can dig up the PHP code for it.

Vmser.png

• 1 year later...

Sad day. I hope it will come back up... Is there any way to contact Silverion, the person that created and owns ArenaScape?

melos2_zpsjnpxw8yx.jpg
"To do all that one is able to do, is to be a man; to do all that one would like to do, is to be a god." - Napoleon I

ArenaScape is back up :D. Thank you for getting ArenaScape running again!

melos2_zpsjnpxw8yx.jpg
"To do all that one is able to do, is to be a man; to do all that one would like to do, is to be a god." - Napoleon I

So what does the modifier "You are strong but fail in magic" do? I know it's +1 strength rank but what does it do for magic damage dealt/taken?

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

So what does the modifier "You are strong but fail in magic" do? I know it's +1 strength rank but what does it do for magic damage dealt/taken?

I believe that there are additional penalties to your magic but I am unsure of what that is... I hope someone with a low mage character or is more knowledgeable about the inner workings of ArenaScape can answer this question for you :(. I would also like to know.

My Level 190 Warlock with *6 Magic also has a low spec - Ranged. From playing over the years, I can't help but notice that his Ranged skill suffers from a hefty, hidden penalty. I've tested this by using my Warlock in the Level 77 Vulcan Groto - which is the lowest area that he can fight without one-hit killing everyone with his magic - and this resulted in him missing with his bow every single time. You would think that having a level 90 Ranged skill with a level 80 missile weapon would allow him to hit enemies in a Level 77 area, but that just isn't the case. Even in the rare case that his arrow does manage to scratch the enemy, he still deals 0 upfront Ranged damage and causes a very minor ~3 damage bleed. As such, I expect all low specs suffer similar penalties.

melos2_zpsjnpxw8yx.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hey what happened to idlescape??? It has disapeared! Also, reset Arenascape and continue with stackable turns. 

I don't think that many of the remaining players would want a complete reset... I know I wouldn't. Most of the remaining players are veterans that have invested years in the game, and resetting the game would just give them a huge reason to quit outright...

However, ArenaScape did have a leveling competition years ago... I believe it was called KEX, which was a race to a certain level or something along those lines, I really don't remember lol... More competitions like that would be a nice way to keep new players interested and give existing players a reason to start over on new characters, at least for a while.

But yeah, ArenaScape needs a bit of work. I would honestly offer to buy the rights and code of ArenaScape, so I could update the game that I love and hopefully expand upon it. Clans are basically useless, and there used to be a lot of talk back in the day with players discussing ways to make Clans more useful and fun. The fact that there isn't any private messaging or mailing system in-game is severely outdated compared to most modern multiplayer games. Combat has a lot going for it, but there are unbalanced specs which needs to get hammered into submission... There are tons of things that can turn this dying game into a great and thriving game, and I believe that the fact that there are ~20-30 players that still play the game today, even after a decade without any updates, goes to show that this game has a lot of potential.

melos2_zpsjnpxw8yx.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder how much Arenascape is worth...?

http://www.freewebsitereport.org/www.arenascape.net

I would offer more than that obviously because I think the game has a lot more potential... If I can talk with Silverion, I can hopefully negotiate something with him. But sadly he doesn't check his account here :(.

melos2_zpsjnpxw8yx.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll throw in some info here:

There have indeed been 'levelling tournaments', one had the KEX_ prefix for all participant names, and one had the KEG_prefix, and one had KOP_prefixes. One of those made it into a highscores category.

There have been attempts at building similar games, xn00bfreix ran a game called 'kickban.us' for a while. Turned out balancing was far from easy.

As for 'low magic' and 'low ranged':

If you have 'magic' below half your combat level, you gain an invisible strength rank.
If you have 'ranged' below half your combat level, you gain an invisible hitpoints rank.

If you have a HP rank of 4 or higher, you get a bonus strength rank of (HP rank-2).

Why is this relevant?
Let's apply it to a 6* hp (juggernaut) with low magic and low ranged.

If I recall correctly, the low ranged pushes it to a 7*hp, thus to a 5*str from that alone. The low magic then pushes it to 6* str.

Result: A shitload of HP (hard to kill), and when it hits you, it has a fairly high chance of landing a Crushing Blow (hitting you for 2x damage)

The low ranged option made many builds without a 2* HP more viable against the (at the time) highly overpowered 7* ranged snipers. Classic builds like a knight (2* att / def / str) or barbarians (att/str ranks) would always get instakilled by sharpshooters, often alot of levels lower. Given exp scales pretty much exponentially, this allowed sharpshooters to level up much quicker, throwing off the balance even more.

The very-well intended balancing act (my 2*att 4*hp giant utterly sucked), turned out to be a tad too efficient on the very high HP ranks, especially when combined with low magic and low ranged.

Fwiw:

I have access to my accounts (vmser, 6* ranged now, never finished its conversion to sharpshooter and sir_tertle, battlemage), as well as lord_waldorg (explorer account!) and hehasnoidea. Out of courtesy to hehas, I don't use those accounts though.
I used to have access to thehates accounts aswell (archern00b, thevilpriest) but forgot password for those

Vmser.png

• 2 weeks later...

I'll throw in some info here:

There have indeed been 'levelling tournaments', one had the KEX_ prefix for all participant names, and one had the KEG_prefix, and one had KOP_prefixes. One of those made it into a highscores category.

There have been attempts at building similar games, xn00bfreix ran a game called 'kickban.us' for a while. Turned out balancing was far from easy.

As for 'low magic' and 'low ranged':

If you have 'magic' below half your combat level, you gain an invisible strength rank.

If you have 'ranged' below half your combat level, you gain an invisible hitpoints rank.

If you have a HP rank of 4 or higher, you get a bonus strength rank of (HP rank-2).

Why is this relevant?

Let's apply it to a 6* hp (juggernaut) with low magic and low ranged.

If I recall correctly, the low ranged pushes it to a 7*hp, thus to a 5*str from that alone. The low magic then pushes it to 6* str.

Result: A shitload of HP (hard to kill), and when it hits you, it has a fairly high chance of landing a Crushing Blow (hitting you for 2x damage)

The low ranged option made many builds without a 2* HP more viable against the (at the time) highly overpowered 7* ranged snipers. Classic builds like a knight (2* att / def / str) or barbarians (att/str ranks) would always get instakilled by sharpshooters, often alot of levels lower. Given exp scales pretty much exponentially, this allowed sharpshooters to level up much quicker, throwing off the balance even more.

The very-well intended balancing act (my 2*att 4*hp giant utterly sucked), turned out to be a tad too efficient on the very high HP ranks, especially when combined with low magic and low ranged.

Fwiw:

I have access to my accounts (vmser, 6* ranged now, never finished its conversion to sharpshooter and sir_tertle, battlemage), as well as lord_waldorg (explorer account!) and hehasnoidea. Out of courtesy to hehas, I don't use those accounts though.

I used to have access to thehates accounts aswell (archern00b, thevilpriest) but forgot password for those

Thanks for the info! Glad to see you're still around :). Wish I could see more long-term AS players around on the boards here :(.

melos2_zpsjnpxw8yx.jpg

Around is a big word :)

About a year ago, real life got too busy, and I was struggling to keep up with the pay-2-win folks in RS, so I ended giving up pretty much (I dreaded Invention skill, and it sucked as much as I feared it would).

My forum activity has dropped alot as a result, but I do like to read up from time to time.

Arenascape is one of the things I kinda 'see where everyones at' like once a year or so.

Vmser.png

I still play arenascape.

Well, I re-discovered it a few weeks ago, when trying to remember what the game was called I used to play when I was young. Sadly, I can't remember my log-in credentials to my old account.

[/url]">i_had_a_deal.png
[4Th in Finland to achieve 99 mining. 3Rd of June 2007]

Pixels make me horny.