Elf City – Design Documents - General Elf City Discussion

Miss Lioness

I always liked shattered heart, and I don't think I'm the only one. Doesnt seem any more arbitrary than any other in game goal. It's a goal-oriented game after all.

I enjoyed shattered hearts as well. I enjoy stuff like shattered hearts and ports as medium length goals. They aren't 99's or 104m goals but I won't be done in a week either. As far as trim goes, I don't really mind losing it. With most colours, especially my preferred purple, silver seems to work better than gold looks anyway so I often use my keepsaked untrimmed cape. I understand both sides of the debate on this and wasn't invested in either side winning.

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

I would honestly have preferred if the 32 week requirement was something a bit more special to the Elf City (like reconstructing buildings etc) rather than a statue again.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

You have to remember that 32 weeks is like... 2/3 of a year. I'd be kind of upset if I lost my trim, and I would powerless to get it back for another 32 weeks.

• Like 1

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

You have to remember that 32 weeks is like... 2/3 of a year. I'd be kind of upset if I lost my trim, and I would powerless to get it back for another 32 weeks.

Particles... we are talking about particles.

You have to keep things in perspective. What if they transfered the castle wars requirement to the actual completionist cape requirement?

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

When they release new skills, you lose max/comp for however long it takes to get back to 99.

This is the same thing. A new requirement is released, I don't see why you should be allowed to wear the cape if you don't have the requirements.

A new quest is released, can't wear quest points cape until you finish it.

I'll agree that the req feels incredibly cheap, though, since all they did was copy one of the 'hardest' requirements in terms of time needed to complete it, instead of making a completely different req.

Besides, there's the titles 'Maxed' and 'the Completionist', and they were talking about having a differently-colored 'the Completionist' for those who have trimmed comp. Therefore, even if they release a new skill, a new comp req or a new trim req, you'll still be able to show that you previously were able to wear said cape by having the title, then you can get the cape back later.

Besides, there's the titles 'Maxed' and 'the Completionist', and they were talking about having a differently-colored 'the Completionist' for those who have trimmed comp. Therefore, even if they release a new skill, a new comp req or a new trim req, you'll still be able to show that you previously were able to wear said cape by having the title, then you can get the cape back later.

That's what players wanted, but not what they got :P You can't activate those titles if you can't wear the respective cape.

6Ij0n.jpg

That's what players wanted, but not what they got :P You can't activate those titles if you can't wear the respective cape.

Didn't the news post specifically specify once unlocked you'd always be able to use the titles regardless of your current status though, which would imply if there is a current issue where you can't use them without being able to wear the cape it is a bug. Though I'm not entirely sure how you could know if there is a current issue or not, since the titles came out there hasn't been anything new added to revoke peoples capes thereby rendering it impossible to discover if they cannot be used once the cape is unwearable.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Wow gg Jagex saying the exact opposite of what you mean -.-

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

You have to keep things in perspective. What if they transfered the castle wars requirement to the actual completionist cape requirement?

"what if they did something worse" isn't really much of an argument for something that is already bad

what if they did something helpful for once

8f14270694.jpg

When they release new skills, you lose max/comp for however long it takes to get back to 99.

This is the same thing. A new requirement is released, I don't see why you should be allowed to wear the cape if you don't have the requirements.

A new quest is released, can't wear quest points cape until you finish it.

I'll agree that the req feels incredibly cheap, though, since all they did was copy one of the 'hardest' requirements in terms of time needed to complete it, instead of making a completely different req.

Yeah.... But you can get a new 99 in under 5 weeks.

• Like 1

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

Imo if they want to release a new trim req that is basically a reskin of an old one, they need to look at the factors that went into the original req and compare them to the new one.

Shattered Heart was a 30-week requirement, limited in time probably because you would be able to get a nice helping of XP in 15 skills almost losslessly. Something to note is that it is different from the Elf City req in that it does not have an endpoint - even after completing the 30th statue and rebuilding the replica in your house, you can continue to gather rocks and rebuild the statue each week for extra XP.

The Elf City req is a finite activity, giving out skill XP each cycle and then ending after 32 cycles. There is no need for a time restriction in this case; you will end up obtaining the same amount of XP either way (apart from levelling up your skills), whether you take 32 weeks or 32 hours to complete all the cycles. As a result, it feels pretty arbitrary to attach a limiting factor to it.

6Ij0n.jpg

Imo if they want to release a new trim req that is basically a reskin of an old one, they need to look at the factors that went into the original req and compare them to the new one.

Shattered Heart was a 30-week requirement, limited in time probably because you would be able to get a nice helping of XP in 15 skills almost losslessly. Something to note is that it is different from the Elf City req in that it does not have an endpoint - even after completing the 30th statue and rebuilding the replica in your house, you can continue to gather rocks and rebuild the statue each week for extra XP.

The Elf City req is a finite activity, giving out skill XP each cycle and then ending after 32 cycles. There is no need for a time restriction in this case; you will end up obtaining the same amount of XP either way (apart from levelling up your skills), whether you take 32 weeks or 32 hours to complete all the cycles. As a result, it feels pretty arbitrary to attach a limiting factor to it.

I can see why they want to limit it, but I get where you are coming from too.

I think perhaps they ought to be a mechanic in built to allow it to be done faster IF you are maxed and thus the xp doesn't really have an impact on your account as such (no levels to be had and a drop in the ocean if you want 104m).

Or even make it an toggle option thing:

You can take an enchant that makes you find rocks a little faster and lets you build it say once a day (I'm assuming here other than outright no lifeing you probably could not get all the rocks twice in one day, so this would be more of a 'healthy play' check than a limitation that would actually affect most people) BUT you get less xp for it.

Or you do it normally and get the full xp and build weekly.

Its not like it even has to be hard to create such a check for maxedness if they are putting a darn maxed guild in anyway - the check will be right there already. Hck I'd kinda be on board with the maxed guild having a whole 'shop' of content 'fast forwards' for things that can be completed but are ultimately just done for the sake of it if you are already max (e.g. the nexus thing) and maybe even some buyable replays (sort of like the D&D tokens but maybe with reduce xp or other limitations). Could make em all fairly pricey too since, generally speaking, maxed players are the overly rich ones they need to target with money sinks to fix the economy a bit.

• Like 2

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I liked the idea brought up earlier about helping reconstruct the city. For each part you help in you earn a statue piece.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I liked the idea brought up earlier about helping reconstruct the city. For each part you help in you earn a statue piece.

I mean, rebuilding the city as a trim req, not a statue req lol.

6Ij0n.jpg

I mean, rebuilding the city as a trim req, not a statue req lol.
No, no you misunderstood i mean they could give you tasks to rebuild the city much like the emissary tasks. For each task you could get an xp reward and a piece of the statue.

For example:

Slay the dark beasts in the mourner tunnels to claim some trophies for the Iowerth halls.

Farm the lands in search of blessed seeds.

Chop the crystal trees and see if you can find some crystal geodes.

• Like 1

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

For each task you could get an xp reward and a piece of the statue.

Yeah but we don't even want the statue as a trim req if we can help, rather have some new content as opposed to a recycled reskin :P

6Ij0n.jpg

Yeah but we don't even want the statue as a trim req if we can help, rather have some new content as opposed to a recycled reskin :P
Well frankly you cant expect with everything coming that they would have an actual rebuild phases for the whole city. I think little nick nacks like those slayer trophies or building skins to show certain task completions.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Well frankly you cant expect with everything coming that they would have an actual rebuild phases for the whole city. I think little nick nacks like those slayer trophies or building skins to show certain task completions.

Which would be new content, and not another statue ...

6Ij0n.jpg

Which would be new content, and not another statue ...
Well in my eyes it would be the same mechanics really.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Well you attain the rocks through a different method and it is one I would think makes it possible to do the statue just once by completing just 32 levels of reconstruction. This can be done all in a single day or within a week vs 32 weeks.

Just in short, they should just need to let go of the weekly thing.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

From Mod Osborne in the topic Elf City Design 1-Changes  http://[Use Quick Find Code]/[Please Use QuickFind Code]?16,17,824,65372977,goto,1

"Hey everyone,

Here is a rundown of the changes we are planning based on YOUR feedback on the first part of the Elf City design document:

CHANGED:
- Solomon. We are investigating the removal of Solomon. 
- Chronicle cash-in NPC. We are removing this character. The best chronicle cash-in NPC will remain the one you unlock after World Wakes
- Golden Shattered Heart. There is a complete divide in the community about whether the Shattered Heart should have a grace period or not before we remove your trimmed completionist cape from you for completing it. Our current feeling is that we can subtly rejig the content so that there are short-term goals that can be achieved before you lose your cape. There will be more news later as this is designed.
- Diango. An elf version of Diango, with some additional content (most likely a permanent holiday event portal) will be added to the Tower of Voices based on your comments. 
- Titles. More titles will be added, and some will be extremely exclusive, to reward those who go that extra mile.
- Saradomin-looking elf clan. We will be changing the small logo of the elf clan whose symbol looks like a Saradomin star. This will be something deer-like.
- Crystal blossom timings. Rather than being a completely binary, with the blossom either appearing or not appearing, the crystal blossom will be harvestable at any time, but there will be periods when it is more rewarding. This gives a reward to those who wait for the right time, but does not punish those who are not.

There was a notable amount of feedback on the following, but we will not be changing them for the following reasons:

NOT CHANGED:

- Xuan. While some of you wanted him removed, he is useful for recolours, cashing in of Jack of All Trades and some others. We will make sure he's not annoying and intrusive, though! He will also be an elf version of Xuan, not Xuan himself.
- Lodestone. Many of you wanted the lodestone removed, as you believe that teleport spells have been devalued, and/or the elves would not make themselves so accessible. While I understand these comments, the city is still exclusive by its nature, the content needs to be accessible or it is hugely devalued, and we are doing our utmost to make sure that teleport seeds and other transportation methods still have real value in the city.
- Crystal look of the city. Concept art can only do so much in communicating how a finished city will look. Our environment team have done a great job in giving the city a pearly sheen, which you can't see in the concepts. Also, there will be transparent crystals throughout the city, to show the raw elements that then harden to form the marble-like walls you see in the concepts.
- Tower chimes. Some of you wanted unique instancing or a dedicated chat channel, but that would bring more attention and work to an inclusion that was always meant to be fun and emergent. 

Keep your feedback coming in, and we'll keep you up-to-date. More design documents are to come, and you can expect more posts like this!

Dave O"
  • Like 1

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

The week by week mini goals could very well be what I suggested: Require 1/32 on launch, 2/32 the next etc.

Or a broader version of it with landmarks at the 5s or w/e

Diango portal thing sounds cool, be nice to mess around in old holiday events and be useful for fun clan-events and/or video makers.

Glad to see crystal blossoms got tweaked and the rest looks good too =]

Plv6Dz6.jpg