Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Was it really EoC that ruined RuneScape?

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

muggiwhplar
[ Display Name History ]

muggiwhplar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,009 posts
I played RS3 less and less immediately after EoC came out. I quit playing RS3 altogether after the new interface came out

77yLQy8.png

@Dan3HitU
[ Display Name History ]

@Dan3HitU

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,304 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:3___Hit___U
  • RSN '07:3___Hit___U

I played RS3 less and less immediately after EoC came out. I quit playing RS3 altogether after the new interface came out

Myself too.
I don't see why they can't simply stretch the game-part of the interface and leave the old-style stretched on the side with blank spaces.

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts

You actually can do that with NIS. Some of the more efficiency-minded players recommend it. 

It's also the point of the resizable screen setting, which we've had since 2008, so... OSRS problem?

God Of Lego
[ Display Name History ]

God Of Lego

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • RSN:God Of Lego

Concidering 80% of the pole wanted legacy. I would say EoC contributed heavily to people abandoning the game. You would be an idiot to try and make out that it didn't.

Sure we all want RS to go on more. To see it isnt ruined. But not taking into account of f--- ups. That would be insanely dumb of Jagex. Legacy is their halfway mark so far.

Whilst not ruined for some... it was ruined for the majority. They had a choice to A, build on the old system. Less players leave. Carefully crafted. Or B, rip it all up, make a new system that alot of people turned out not to like. Because of development time and ignorance they choose B.

So not ruined, just very damaged. EoC fans would need another disaster to turn them away.

What EoC fans also forget is that these players simply DID NOT LIKE EOC. They had every right to be angry. I find theres a huuugeeee lack of respect for that. Not agreement on opinions but respect.

Jagex are struggling to get a healthy good vision for the game, I think theres huge problems with how the company is running. I don't think they are very efficient or well organised. Even their recent polls have been a bunch of crap. They say its for the future and they ask petty things. The need to ask and break down and define what players want out of RuneScape, what they enjoy in RuneScape. Instead they are asking which NPC to talk to.

@Dan3HitU
[ Display Name History ]

@Dan3HitU

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,304 posts
  • RSN:3___Hit___U
  • RSN '07:3___Hit___U

You actually can do that with NIS. Some of the more efficiency-minded players recommend it. 

You can? :o

How do you do it?

I meant keep the old static layout/tabs.

HunterDexter
[ Display Name History ]

HunterDexter

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,625 posts

Well, I don't like that Jagex butchered Demon Slayer quest, do I deserve respect now from the common populace?

The game was in dire need of a change in direction. They took a risk, they did it bad, but now with Revolution, I don't think anyone really has to complain.

I really don't get what non-EOCers are still mad about: just put on Revolution, Momentum, or just leave it at manual.

Same for the NIS: I was a huge complainer because I couldn't get a pre-NIS setup exactly as I wanted. I adapted. Boohoo. Game was totally ruined because I now have a better way to distribute my task bars ingame.

Saradomin_Mage
[ Display Name History ]

Saradomin_Mage

The Two and Only

• Members
  • 7,273 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P

I really don't get what non-EOCers are still mad about: just put on Revolution, Momentum, or just leave it at manual.

Most are probably PVP-minded folks who have lost hybridding as it used to be. You can't play with similar strategies comparable to pre-EOC at all, even with Momentum, given how stat distributions on armour as well as familiar mechanics have changed (e.g. no accuracy bonuses on magic robes, can't cast spells at all without a magic weapon).

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

HunterDexter
[ Display Name History ]

HunterDexter

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,625 posts

Given the nature of the PVPcommunity: I'm glad they are mostly gone now.

Saradomin_Mage
[ Display Name History ]

Saradomin_Mage

The Two and Only

• Members
  • 7,273 posts
An attitude like that honestly isn't any better, but okay.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts
You can? :o

How do you do it?

I was assuming you meant something like this, which kind of has a similar effect. A few tweaks could get that close to what you seem to want.

Sy_Accursed
[ Display Name History ]

Sy_Accursed

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,851 posts
  • RSN:Sy Accursed

Concidering 80% of the pole wanted legacy. I would say EoC contributed heavily to people abandoning the game. You would be an idiot to try and make out that it didn't.

Sure we all want RS to go on more. To see it isnt ruined. But not taking into account of f--- ups. That would be insanely dumb of Jagex. Legacy is their halfway mark so far.

Whilst not ruined for some... it was ruined for the majority. They had a choice to A, build on the old system. Less players leave. Carefully crafted. Or B, rip it all up, make a new system that alot of people turned out not to like. Because of development time and ignorance they choose B.

So not ruined, just very damaged. EoC fans would need another disaster to turn them away.

What EoC fans also forget is that these players simply DID NOT LIKE EOC. They had every right to be angry. I find theres a huuugeeee lack of respect for that. Not agreement on opinions but respect.

Jagex are struggling to get a healthy good vision for the game, I think theres huge problems with how the company is running. I don't think they are very efficient or well organised. Even their recent polls have been a bunch of crap. They say its for the future and they ask petty things. The need to ask and break down and define what players want out of RuneScape, what they enjoy in RuneScape. Instead they are asking which NPC to talk to.

Assuming because 80% wanted legacy, at a time before any of the good eoc fixes of this year had arrived, means 80% dislike eoc is a logical fallacy - the two are not directly correlated. 

Also considering the actual player totals did not fall by in excess of 50% since eoc launched, it is equally a fallacy to claim eoc ruined it for the majority as it is not a proven fact.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

V O R K
[ Display Name History ]

V O R K

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,215 posts

Given the nature of the PVPcommunity: I'm glad they are mostly gone now.

Given the nature of the effiency crowd, i'm glad how Jagex made it all much too easy now.

Really? After a long day you don't love to unwind with a few other people? Shame man, minigames and free for all is so much fun. 

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif
✿ ♥‿♥)

Rena
[ Display Name History ]

Rena

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • RSN:Ryuuguu Rena

120k people online + 30k bots

- 30k bots = 90k people online

EoC hits = 10k people quit

OSRS = 20k go to OSRS

60k + 20k = 80k players +10k quitters + 30k bots = 120k people

There you go, mystery solved.

現実とうひを繰り返してもうそうしてんだ

D. V. Devnull
[ Display Name History ]

D. V. Devnull

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,162 posts
  • Location:Slinking in shadow, finding site/forum bugs to kill...
  • RuneScape Status:None
You can? ohmy.gif

How do you do it?

I was assuming you meant something like this, which kind of has a similar effect. A few tweaks could get that close to what you seem to want.

Perhaps Alg, @Dan3HitU is possibly looking more for this one on the same page (http://forum.tip.it/topic/163183-post-all-rs-screenshots-videos-and-sounds-here/page-4107#entry5470125) from Miss Lioness???  It has a lot less in its' design for someone to have to handle all at the same time, and seems more reminiscent of the older RS2HD-style and previous stuff. huh.gif

~D. V. "Just a Second Opinion" Devnull

(p.s.: Yeah, I caught wind of this thread while checking new content.  Please don't expect me to get crazy with diving into this board in general.)

[Multiple late edits by post author, caused by current post rate on this thread, and missed thoughts.]

Edited by D. V. Devnull, 14 June 2014 - 05:11 PM.

Posted Image and normally with a cool mind.
(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Ammako
[ Display Name History ]

Ammako

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,541 posts

Myself too.
I don't see why they can't simply stretch the game-part of the interface and leave the old-style stretched on the side with blank spaces.

Just saying, it's not as easy as you're making it out to be.

Concidering 80% of the pole wanted legacy. I would say EoC contributed heavily to people abandoning the game.

The people who voted for legacy != 100% of the people who quit because of EoC.

If the poll was for completely replacing EoC with Legacy mode, the results would have been much more different, mind you.

helring
[ Display Name History ]

helring

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,203 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:helring

Concidering 80% of the pole wanted legacy. I would say EoC contributed heavily to people abandoning the game.

If the poll was for completely replacing EoC with Legacy mode, the results would have been much more different, mind you.

Completely agree. Voted for legacy because I didn't see the harm in it and many people would enjoy having it. I however like EOC and have no intention of really using legacy. Saying 80% voted for it is not the same as 80% wanted to use it and definitely isn't the same as 80% think EOC ruined the game.

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://secure.runes...ew-idea?idea=19

Rena
[ Display Name History ]

Rena

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • RSN:Ryuuguu Rena

Completely agree. Voted for legacy because I didn't see the harm in it and many people would enjoy having it. I however like EOC and have no intention of really using legacy. Saying 80% voted for it is not the same as 80% wanted to use it and definitely isn't the same as 80% think EOC ruined the game.

The harm in it is that Jagex can barely balance one combat mode (EoC) and now they have to balance EoC with Legacy. If they can't balance one what makes people think they can balance two with each other?

Not to mention the wasted Dev time for Nostalgiascape instead of working on fixing the issues with EoC...

現実とうひを繰り返してもうそうしてんだ

Yoko Kurama
[ Display Name History ]

Yoko Kurama

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,988 posts

120k people online + 30k bots

- 30k bots = 90k people online

EoC hits = 10k people quit

OSRS = 20k go to OSRS

60k + 20k = 80k players +10k quitters + 30k bots = 120k people

There you go, mystery solved.

It's not quite that simple. All the data reveals, when I last looked at it, a MASSIVE reduction in the amount of players online, active accounts, traffic to the site, google hits. It was a lot more serious than just 10K quitters, and those who went to OSRS.

Ammako
[ Display Name History ]

Ammako

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,541 posts

The harm in it is that Jagex can barely balance one combat mode (EoC) and now they have to balance EoC with Legacy. If they can't balance one what makes people think they can balance two with each other?

Not to mention the wasted Dev time for Nostalgiascape instead of working on fixing the issues with EoC...

Literally all they would have to do is make momentum use no abilities, hide the action bar and buff Momentum's damage.

They don't need to do any more balancing than that. Add some graphics such as the pre-NIS interface and the old hitsplats, but that's it.

Sy_Accursed
[ Display Name History ]

Sy_Accursed

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,851 posts
  • RSN:Sy Accursed

^I do so wish they would stop pretending legacy is anything more than original momentum buffed up to what it should've been (comparable to full manual, but still not quite as good) with a nice shiny reskin to make it look like pre-NIS and hide ability bar.

After all all the other 'features' are nothing to do with legacy and are just general fixes to eoc (combat formula, poison tweaks, specials, changes to armour stats etc)

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users