Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Was it really EoC that ruined RuneScape?

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

Steph
[ Display Name History ]

Steph

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
Requesting jagex leadership rework
Posted Image

[2:21:46 PM] Baldvin | Leik: these comp reqs are so bad
[2:22:36 PM] Arceus Dark: Time to get...req'd?

God Of Lego
[ Display Name History ]

God Of Lego

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:God Of Lego

I feel the staff are probably quite sad to be so limited by their leadership.

No developer or artist goes into the game industry to purposely do this kind of work.

Blofeld
[ Display Name History ]

Blofeld

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Blofeld

Speaking of which, there was a particularly scathing review posted on the Jagex Glassdoor page a couple of days ago (even by the usual standard of the reviews on that site its particularly bleak)

Pros – Decent staff benefits including a great canteen, bike maintenance, legendary parties, but this doesn't make up for low salary which can buy a lot of this.

If you work at Jagex, you will meet some truly great and talented people.

Cons – Poor salary, unless you make it into the clique.
Poor job security. Lay-offs and departures at all levels are common. Staff turnover is high.
Poor job satisfaction as staff have to pander to last minute changes instead of using the time to excel at their profession.
Proprietary systems which hamper rather than assist developers.

Jagex has some very talented people, but the company relies on a steady flow of starstruck, talented youngsters, as it does not pay a decent salary and staff turnover is high, so a lot of effort goes into glossy recruitment.
If more effort went into staff retention, they might strike a happier balance.
The hours are long "as it's not an overtime culture", yet staff regularly have to do overtime - why?

This is why. Gerhard has a knee-jerk, last minute change style of "management". He has an ego the size of a planet so it's a shame he has no planning or people skills. He prefers to grandstand in one of his APVs and court the press. He surrounds himself with yes men. If you can get into his clique, your job is a little more secure but not guaranteed.
Anyone who disagrees with him, better have another job lined up.
He rarely, if ever, walks the floor and talks to the people who work for him, he certainly never listens. Once a year he might give a long-winded, bizarre and repetitive speech at one of the company "jollies".

Under his leadership, he tried to grow Jagex into a "games studio", but many games were built or licensed and failed and many people were laid off due to bad planning (or lack of planning) and bad decision making.
A lot of hard work is wasted as decisions are made at the end rather than at the start of a project lifecycle. Listening to experienced staff at the start would help overcome this.

It really does pain me to hear stuff like that as someone who loves the game. I was hoping that things had gotten better in the last year since they started listening to the players more. But alas it seems the management structure within the company, and its ability to listen to feedback is still a massive point of contention.

Yoko Kurama
[ Display Name History ]

Yoko Kurama

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,988 posts

I just scanned Jagex's Glassdoor page after reading the post above. And wow, a lot of scathing reviews. It seems IVP, and MMG, as well as the senior management really are the problem. Who would have thought it. A bunch of shoddy businessmen use their money to buy shares into a company they have no knowledge or interest in, doing this only for a quick buck, and they end up ruining it. Didn't see that coming.

I am a lot more sympathetic to individual J Mods now though (as of late, I have been very antipathetic to them for quite a while). Aside from certain ones that are pretty terrible, a lot of them seem to be pushed around by management.  

Quasar
[ Display Name History ]

Quasar

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 891 posts
  • RSN:Quasar

buying chris l, pi, ash, and harrison to make their own game

best drops (reasonably accurate/up to date): 1x Elysian Sigil (LS), 1x Arcane Sigil (cs), 4x Armadyl Hilt (solo at 100m, 100m, 50m, and 5m), 2x Saradomin Hilt (solo at 25m), 5x Draconic Visage (34m,1.2m,1.2m) and various cs/ls/ffa Nex splits.
Drygore Drops: 7 Longswords, 3 Maces, 3 Rapiers, 3 Off-hand Rapiers,  5 Off-hand Maces, 3 Off-hand Longswords

ROTS Shields: 12  Seismics: 16

Ascension Crossbows: 6  Spider Legs: 10

Countless Armadyl armour pieces, Saradomin amulets, Dragon Hatchets, and Fremenik Rings.
Range~Herblore~Construction~Constitution~Defence~Farming~Magic~Attack~Prayer~Strength~Summoning~Slayer~Mining~Dungeoneering~Firemaking~Agility~Magic Mastery~Summoning Mastery~Cooking~Smithing~Fletching~Thieving~Hunter~Woodcutting~Fishing~Runecrafting

Yoko Kurama
[ Display Name History ]

Yoko Kurama

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,988 posts

You have to sign up to read the reviews on the second, so I did that. And my god, they are absolutely devastating. Jagex really is a mess if these reviews are to be believed. 

muggiwhplar
[ Display Name History ]

muggiwhplar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,009 posts

I would take Glassdoor reviews for any company with a grain of salt.

77yLQy8.png

Yoko Kurama
[ Display Name History ]

Yoko Kurama

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,988 posts

I would take Glassdoor reviews for any company with a grain of salt.

Quite a few (both in favour, and unfavourable of Jagex) seem fabricated. Though, others, seem legit, but there's no way to verify that of course.

Tim
[ Display Name History ]

Tim

Eternal Session of Sound

• Members
  • 8,848 posts
  • RSN '07:Derplander

It's like watching "Rare" all over again when Microsoft bought them...

• Wkw likes this

Popoto.~<3

Wkw
[ Display Name History ]

Wkw

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,565 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:wkw

YOU SHUT UP. RIGHT NOW. DO NOT BRING THAT UP.

It is still very sour in my heart. I was around for stop'n'swap.I was there at their peak, and watched it fall.

It is similar, but not very much so. When Rare was bought out, all of the core people were still there.. but were strangled until they eventually died out, and now they just pump out mediocre games

aaaaauserbar.gif

Wkw.png

Runescape player since January 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

muggiwhplar
[ Display Name History ]

muggiwhplar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,009 posts

YOU SHUT UP. RIGHT NOW. DO NOT BRING THAT UP.

It is still very sour in my heart. I was around for stop'n'swap.I was there at their peak, and watched it fall.

It is similar, but not very much so. When Rare was bought out, all of the core people were still there.. but were strangled until they eventually died out, and now they just pump out mediocre games

Almost all of my favorite childhood games were made by Rare. The Donkey Kong Country series, Banjo Kazooie/Tooie, Golden Eye/Perfect Dark... good times :D

77yLQy8.png

Sy_Accursed
[ Display Name History ]

Sy_Accursed

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,851 posts
  • RSN:Sy Accursed
I always take things like Glassdoor with a couple of tablespoons of salt - It's kinda like yelps or other incidental not built in to the thing its about review systems most 'normal' people don't think oh I'll go write a review if things are just fine they go and do it to vent when they are pissed off by something that has happened. So I always feel as though glassdoor reviews are dominated by pissed off ex-employees or disgruntled current employees who did not like or do not like their job and thus focus on every little niggle and blow it into something huge to justify being fired or doing a half-assed job whilst looking for something more. Meanwhile all the happy employees just get on and enjoy their jobs and their work.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

muggiwhplar
[ Display Name History ]

muggiwhplar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,009 posts

I always take things like Glassdoor with a couple of tablespoons of salt - It's kinda like yelps or other incidental not built in to the thing its about review systems most 'normal' people don't think oh I'll go write a review if things are just fine they go and do it to vent when they are pissed off by something that has happened. So I always feel as though glassdoor reviews are dominated by pissed off ex-employees or disgruntled current employees who did not like or do not like their job and thus focus on every little niggle and blow it into something huge to justify being fired or doing a half-assed job whilst looking for something more. Meanwhile all the happy employees just get on and enjoy their jobs and their work.

Exactly. I'll also add that many of the positive reviews are fabricated by the people in charge of the company in order to secure more job applications. I remember at my last job, our HR Manager was telling me, "Have you seen our Glassdoor page? It's horrible! I keep having to write positive reviews to balance things out..."

77yLQy8.png

Yoko Kurama
[ Display Name History ]

Yoko Kurama

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,988 posts

One of the negative reviews was focused entirely on game updates as opposed to the themes found in other reviews (stuff to actually do with the job, compensation/benefits/management). I wonder which angry player wrote that one.

Hedgehog
[ Display Name History ]

Hedgehog

???

• Monster Hunting Team Leader
  • 7,789 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired

At the same time, the stuff is generally pretty true. Disgruntled employees don't really make things up to make a company look bad. It's just that what they say is generally biased and possibly exaggerated and they deemphasize the good parts. You shouldn't take it too seriously, but you should still recognize criticism as criticism.

Also you called yelp yelps.

Sy_Accursed
[ Display Name History ]

Sy_Accursed

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,851 posts
  • RSN:Sy Accursed
Jagex has officially ruined my autocorrect XD

Also they might not THINK they are fabricating stuff, but at the same time butthurt people are pretty good at lying to themselves so sometimes it is pure fabrication even if they have convinced themselves otherwise.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts

At the same time, though, a review like that one fits pretty perfectly alongside a lot of the most common complaints about the state of the game.

Yoko Kurama
[ Display Name History ]

Yoko Kurama

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,988 posts

Jagex has officially ruined my autocorrect XD

Also they might not THINK they are fabricating stuff, but at the same time butthurt people are pretty good at lying to themselves so sometimes it is pure fabrication even if they have convinced themselves otherwise.

Well, many of the negative reviews have quite a lot of good things to say in the 'pro' section, so it's not just completely "Jagex sucks, the end" sort of stuff. One can't really dismiss their criticism altogether. If you want to learn what someone's up to, or what they're doing wrong, you can't go to their best friends or people they have treated well (or happy employees). At the same time, you can't go to their enemies either. You have to, more or less, examine everything and the various perspectives. It's not enough to say so-and-so is biased and butthurt. There's no way to verify the reviews (which is a major shortcoming), but a lot of it seems to describe Jagex well and seems to corroborate with what we have seen about Jagex.

Blofeld
[ Display Name History ]

Blofeld

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • RSN:Blofeld

Well, many of the negative reviews have quite a lot of good things to say in the 'pro' section, so it's not just completely "Jagex sucks, the end" sort of stuff. One can't really dismiss their criticism altogether. If you want to learn what someone's up to, or what they're doing wrong, you can't go to their best friends or people they have treated well (or happy employees). At the same time, you can't go to their enemies either. You have to, more or less, examine everything and the various perspectives. It's not enough to say so-and-so is biased and butthurt. There's no way to verify the reviews (which is a major shortcoming), but a lot of it seems to describe Jagex well and seems to corroborate with what we have seen about Jagex.

This.

Yes whilst I am fully aware you must take the reviews with a pinch of salt, because as others have said people only write a review typically when something bad has happened. And yes there are also ones written by players on there, but from reading through the reviews those ones are very obvious to spot .   However, when the key problems being criticized are a common theme, that most of the reviews bring up again and again (such as management not listening to feedback until after a project is out,) and they are also something the players have found to be a problem. Then the review gains some legitimacy.

The reason I found it interesting enough to post originally, is that whilst on the surface things seem to have changed with the power to the players etc, it seems there are still major issues with the way the direction of the game is decided within the company.

This is particularly worrying therefore with vast quantities of time and money being spent on things like Transformers, there is a lot to lose, and therefore I really hope theyve one their homework and are working as a team, as opposed to being a company run based upon knee-jerk reactions to what the flavour of the moment is.

God Of Lego
[ Display Name History ]

God Of Lego

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:God Of Lego

The thing about these reviews is, if they were by players. It would be targeted at Jagex in a simple minded approach. They are very detailed in how leadership is the problem. They don't blame the people. A player would mostly blame most of them. So I say most reviews are likely true, Mod Mark, Mod MMG are full of shit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users