Future Update Discussions

Cowman_133

To me it kind of makes sense to make this novice. It seems like this is the start of a new quest chain, or at least of a few new quests. The whole purrpose of the 6th age and quest reset was so that all these quests that were coming out after TWW wouldn't require grandmaster stats. So it makes sense for a lot of the new god content to build back up instead of starting off as master and grandmasters. Whether Sliske is a God or not seems like beginner level stuff for the 6th age.

I for one loved Death of Chivalry from a lore and story standpoint. I don't really care about the difficulty and reqs of the quests. If they can give us more in-depth quests like DoC, then I don't mind that its a novice quest.

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

At the rate they're going someone will have 200m by the time they let us use bonus xp :rolleyes:

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

Timbo posted similar to what I was saying, but better than I did.

As much as I like this idea and agree with what they're trying to do, the way the lore is designed will pretty much lock out anyone who hasn't played since the beginning. The continuation of Sliske's story will only matter to mid-high level players, because the content that explains who Sliske is and why we should care is there.

It's kind of the same with the world event and Death of Chivalry. You can play them as soon as you start the game but if you're really new, you'll have no idea who Saradomin and Zamorak are and why the fact that they've returned is such a big deal. Hell, if you strip away the nostalgia factor, they're only two gods in a fairly large pantheon: It's only significant on a meta level.

It's a good idea, but they would have had to have done it that way since the very beginning. Grafting lore-heavy content into the earlygame it in now isn't going to help people get into the game if they're getting it in the wrong order.

Timbo posted similar to what I was saying, but better than I did.

As much as I like this idea and agree with what they're trying to do, the way the lore is designed will pretty much lock out anyone who hasn't played since the beginning. The continuation of Sliske's story will only matter to mid-high level players, because the content that explains who Sliske is and why we should care is there.

It's kind of the same with the world event and Death of Chivalry. You can play them as soon as you start the game but if you're really new, you'll have no idea who Saradomin and Zamorak are and why the fact that they've returned is such a big deal. Hell, if you strip away the nostalgia factor, they're only two gods in a fairly large pantheon: It's only significant on a meta level.

It's a good idea, but they would have had to have done it that way since the very beginning. Grafting lore-heavy content into the earlygame it in now isn't going to help people get into the game; they're getting it in the wrong order.

But is that really an issue?

Before now to learn these big stories you HAD to be a high level and you HAD to venture deep in to dialogues and books that were not vital to progression; now its right there in your face.

Yes new players will come at lore from a different angle than the veterans have, but that has always been the case. With every update ever put in-game that brought new lore the order of exposure and learning was altered. Does it really matter what angle you come at it from as long as the early quests are introducing it well and the higher quests than expand that knowledge in some way?

Does it really matter if new players engage with and care about Sliske in a different way to those of us who have prior knowledge as long as they get the same picture in the long term combination of the lore?

It's not like lore is something neatly ordered and structured, it never has been, it always comes in random disconnected blobs with grey areas and loop holes and sudden shifts in direction. The whole of rs only really had a coherent lore because there's a lot of dedicated players out there who piece it all together and continually update it as new info is dumped. Having some more substantial aimed at the early game that gives a solid grounding for these random blobs of lore to latch on to seems ideal to me; regardless of whether it means new players are getting lore in a different order than we used too.

I mean bugger me over the years we haven't half had to adapt to some huge changes to the lore. I mean remember when Guthix created the world and then ruled over it with his two brothers Saradomin and Zamorak and there was that guy they'd rather you didn't ask about called Zaros? That hardly holds water today.

Or Khazard, Lucien, the legend of Arrav and the zombie army and Hazeel all pre-date the notion of Mahjaratt and have been significantly altered since that ball got rolling. Heck even Azzandra wasn't really labelled as a mahjaratt iirc until well after DT.

Just a month or two ago the Lost City was revealed to be the darn moon!

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Shouldn't be too hard to oversimplify explain things.

Saradomin is good with blue coloring.

Zamorak is evil with red coloring.

There's some more basic stuff to cover (who Guthix was and why him not being around anymore is causing these things to happen, maybe a bit about Zaros) but most of the rest (Sliske, the Mahjarrat, Dragonkin, the desert pantheon etc. etc.) are varying degrees of advanced content anyhow that will be discovered in time as new players get further in the game.

weathermatt.png

diy_wmatt.png

You could say that, but I don't see it as that at all.

Lore is ever changing and ever evolving just because you know of Sliske one way does not make it right or correct and does not some how make a new novice quest that many will have as their first experience of Sliske some how not the beginning. Heck what you think right now to be the 'right' way may be entirely different from the way hundreds or thousands already experienced it as there are already many different orders to play content in.

Yes it may not be the beginning of his story chronologically, but the lore (and books for that matter) rarely start at the beginning of events chronologically. As long as the story of the quest itself makes sense without any other knowledge it is fine, all that matters is people in due course learn what came before that.

I mean we never had the whole book in order in the first place when it comes to lore.

Jagex throws random un-numbered pages at us all the time and we string them together in to some sort of order only to have new pages entirely mess it up or jagex to steal a page back to edit it.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

It's not an impossible thing to do. The writers of "The Simpsons" did it with the McBain movie clips which, when watched in the right order, form a coherent story. Of course, that was an Easter egg not the main storyline but it's still possible...in theory anyway.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Did anyone else initially read that as "The Beginning of the End"?

Looking forward to the PVP element of the next world event. Tying it in with divine energy too - perhaps something akin to Fist of Guthix?

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

The next world event sounds intriguing/a way to make divination seem more popular than it really is not the initial buzz is gone.

Looks like October includes the/some new trees from that glimmer at the end, also intrigued by the effort we can put in to rebuild lumbridge.

Will this mean we have a sort of series of mini-quests that allow us to restore Lumbridge and perhaps alter it per player?

The pixelation made me lol too, I wonder what it was they pixelated this time. Presumably something epically spoilery - you'd think with the concept art they obviously purposefully put up they'd be smart enough to not put in ones they need to then pixelate.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg